Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

Windows, I refuse to build on top a Unix platform, so I will try and give Windows folks what Unix folks have had for decades. Powershell.

lol, I hear ya. I'm stuck with it here, but so far doing what I need it to do, I can live with that.

Edited by Renegade7

Watching the game just mow?

Whoever runs microsoft's marketing department is probably going Hulk Smash right now lol

What happened?

It was hilarious.  The Patriots were having some issues with their Microsoft Surface tablets and the guys in the booth threw it down to the sideline reporter who goes something like "......yeah, the Patriots are having some problems with their MICROSOFT SURFACE TABLETS and can't get them to work..."  

If you don't like Microsoft, it was a great moment.  

Ah, here it is:  http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/new-england-patriots-suffering-from-bsod-1754843741

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1

Keeps happening, too (at least in these NFL games).  Like, I wonder how the data is getting distributed and separated (VLANs, file sharing or some unnecessary Azure nonsense?)

LOL, imagine your an IT guy and you live in Denver.  Your job is to help the NFL on game day with the teams tablets.  You really want Denver to go to the Super Bowl.  You know how easy it is to throw a little interference into their systems and cause minor glitches which become annoying.

Not surprising really. At NFL game sites they have a staff who's sole responsibility is policing the frequencies used in the stadium. Between the wireless the TV partners use and all the wireless the teams use then throw in other press and it can be a mess. You have to apply with them for the frequency you want to use. It really is a radio wave mess on gameday.

Edited by HOF44

Had to look at a couple articles, but using the same camera feed that the printers do (that are supposed to still be available as a fallback).

Looks like the data stays in the stadium, even though its an App on the tablet everyone is using (tablet looked down, can't get on web with or other applications). 

NFL is supposed to have their separate network in each stadium they run for these devices, though booths use Ethernet and sidelines use WiFi (SSID is likely not broadcasted, trying to hide it).

I'm not a huge phone gamer, but I was looking for a free RPG now that I have a smart phone for those times when I have a few minutes before bed but can't commit to dumping some time into a real game.

Every one I tried wants access to crazy stuff like my call records. No thanks. What's the deal with that?

I should probably just read a book anyway.

I'm not a huge phone gamer, but I was looking for a free RPG now that I have a smart phone for those times when I have a few minutes before bed but can't commit to dumping some time into a real game.

Every one I tried wants access to crazy stuff like my call records. No thanks. What's the deal with that?

I should probably just read a book anyway.

Free games make money off of you one way or another. I tend to buy the games for my phone rather than give them access to my personal info. Plus I've also rooted my phone so I can disable permissions to programs I find myself needing but not agreeing with the right it thinks it should have.
  • Like 2

Free games make money off of you one way or another. I tend to buy the games for my phone rather than give them access to my personal info. Plus I've also rooted my phone so I can disable permissions to programs I find myself needing but not agreeing with the right it thinks it should have.

Thanks, I took a look at some priced games and lo and behold the wonky permission requests are gone. May or may not go that route, but it does make it glaringly obvious what the invasive permissions are there for.

Thanks, I took a look at some priced games and lo and behold the wonky permission requests are gone. May or may not go that route, but it does make it glaringly obvious what the invasive permissions are there for.

Yeah, smartphones are a window into your personal life and advertisers and such have recognized it and try to lure you in with free stuff.

I don't know if you're on Apple or Android, but for Android, I used to regularly check in with the Humble Bundle and see if what they were offering in their Humble Mobile bundle to try to pick up some games. I'm not too knowledgeable of what-all's out there games-wise, but I do know Kemco does a bunch of mobile RPGs, so you could look into them.

Several of the old Final Fantasy games are available.

On that note, there are certainly emulators available.

I tend to avoid going to the google play store for them, though, because those suffer from advertising fever, too. Better to just download an apk of a good one off the internet. Of course emulator games aren't designed with a touch interface in mind, though. I like to use an ipega 9017. Decent little controller that's highly portable and rather affordable.

I'm a big fan of the humble bundle. I did snag one of their Android deals, but it was a puzzle bundle. That's my favorite kind of phone game anyway.

Edit: Herp derp, look at that. I just went and looked at what all's in the bundle I bought and half of them are RPGs. It has taken me so long to work through the puzzles that I forgot. Well that solves that problem. Thanks for reminding me Poker!

Edited by dfitzo53
  • Like 1