Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

I'm looking at doing it with my exchange 2016 roll outs, but haven't had the time to properly research.... there is definitely a part of me that is not willing to roll out a critical system on a new file system.... maybe in like 2-3 years...

on a side note:

it feels like everyone around me just flies by the seat of their pants all the time. the notion of planning is non existent.

then they wonder why things never go smoothly and they're constantly stuck in weird situations with no way out without having someone else bail them out.

over and over and over. with certain people you can just call project failure before the project is even approved.

I'm guilty of that at times. However for critical or important apps, definitely have to plan.

Reminds me of this. RIP Fred Thompson:

I've met people who cheat their way through these things and I cannot bring myself to do it (feel it will hurt me more then help having the certs and not actually having the skills or knowledge people expect me to have after passing). Anyone have experience with these types? I definitely love IT more then I care for the industry itself at this point, but I imagine anyone that loves computers enough will put up with the dark side of it, most like any other industry.

Don't cheat on the exams. There's information in there that is of value.

Re: Certs - there are people that's resume is their certs, and there are people that happen to have certs but otherwise have a good resume.

Try to be the later, not the former. Cheating will make you the former. There's nothing wrong with having certs, it's just that once you're in the field long enough you'll learn to recognize when a person's claim to fame is just their certs... those people wind up being worthless.

How much you enjoy the field will depend greatly on who you work for, and/or how much you love money. There are many people that will work ridiculously aggravating/demanding jobs if the money is right. If that's not you, or if you can't get the money to make it 'right', then look for a place that doesn't suck.

For the most part that tends to be a mid-sized business with a small IT group that would be considered understaffed if their staff weren't so good at their job (and therefore they get by just fine.)

That's hard to find, but it's definitely out there. Not only will you enjoy your job more, but you'll likely live in a lower cost of living area and work with people that will teach you things.

You have to look for that job while you already have a job.... if you're out of a job looking for work you have no chance of finding that job. It might take you a year to find a place like that. But they do exist.

• Like 3

I'm guilty of that at times. However for critical or important apps, definitely have to plan.

Reminds me of this. RIP Fred Thompson:

This is a mission critical system and I'm about to just pretend I cannot help any further to see if any lessons can actually be learned.

I got everything up and running and they're just going in and making mess after mess, then coming to me and asking me to fix it. As if I have nothing else to do.

Mind you - I've already sent them an email on how to appropriately do everything, and had a meeting with them to discuss the email. I locked them out of the system until we could have our meeting.

It wasn't 10 minutes later they're ****ing everything up, the stuff we JUST TALKED ABOUT.

So I fixed that and said - You need a plan. Put together a plan. Get me involved, then we'll actually dot he work.

10 minutes later they're back in my office asking me to clean up another mess.

**** some people just don't learn. 10 minutes. Couldn't go 10 minutes.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I sent the guy the release notes for the system upgrade. It's his job to understand how to use the system (whereas it's my job to make sure it runs well and perform upgrades.) I said - read these before you go in there. I said it again in the meeting we had.

I told him - I do not know how to use the system, so I can't help you.

So he's contacted the Vendor support line.

Their response was - here are the release notes

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

Any reason a person such as myself would care about .NET for Linux?

It's for .NET developers so they can deploy on those platforms. That was a major issue with the framework - if you were going to develop using it, you had to host it on a windows server.

Otherwise, not really... if you're language/framework indifferent then it's just one more you can use if it makes sense for your project/situation.

Lots of people hate on .NET but it seems pretty solid to me. My only complaint about it as a developer was that Visual Studio is just so bloated, as a systems admin it has a lot of updates/patches...

I'm sure it has flaws as a framework, or c# has issues as a language, but I never had a reason to find out about them. :)

The only hate on .NET was because of security.  Not to mention the Windows only platform.  If I owned a commercial software company, which I don't, I would have never allowed my team to build an application in .NET

But I come from a background where most of my customers run any flavor of Unix.

• Like 1

Pentagon Farmed Out Its Coding to Russia

The Pentagon was tipped off in 2011 by a longtime Army contractor that Russian computer programmers were helping to write computer software for sensitive U.S. military communications systems, setting in motion a four-year federal investigation that ended this week with a multimillion-dollar fine against two firms involved in the work.

The contractor, John C. Kingsley, said in court documents filed in the case that he discovered the Russians’ role after he was appointed to run one of the firms in 2010. He said the software they wrote had made it possible for the Pentagon’s communications systems to be infected with viruses.
“On at least one occasion, numerous viruses were loaded onto the DISA [Defense Information Systems Agency] network as a result of code written by the Russian programmers and installed on servers in the DISA secure system,” Kingsley said in his complaint, filed under the federal False Claims Act in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., on March 18, 2011.

On Monday, NetCracker and the much larger Virginia-based Computer Sciences Corporation—which had subcontracted the work—agreed to pay a combined $12.75 million in civil penalties to close a four-year-long Justice Department investigation into the security breach. They each denied Kingsley’s accusations in settlement documents filed with the court.

The $22 million contract the companies were working on dates from 2008, when the Pentagon first asked Computer Sciences Corporation to fortify and administer the computer networks of the Defense Information Systems Agency. The agency supports battlefield operations by running communication systems that enable soldiers, officers, and coalition partners to communicate in secret.

Computer Sciences Corporation collected a total of $1.5 billion from the Pentagon in fiscal year 2014, according to the Federal Procurement Data System. The work at the heart of this case was part of a $613 million contract between the Defense Information Systems Agency and the corporation. Netcracker, which has done direct work for the Air Force and the General Services Administration, worked as a subcontractor on the deal.

The settlement agreement leaves the door open for the Justice Department to pursue criminal charges based on Kingsley’s allegations. A Justice Department spokeswoman did not respond before deadline when asked whether any such charges are expected.

Billions of tax payer dollars tossed around to defense contractors that farm the work out to Russia, that results in compromises.

The punishment? 12 million dollar fine. Maybe DoJ will investigate.

Maybe.

What a joke.

There are plenty of people denied security clearances, and the opportunity to work for a lot more money, because of silliness from when they were in high school or college that are otherwise good, quality people. Meanwhile the contractors are doing this sort of nonsense and all that happens to them is a fine less than 1% of the contract money they're receiving from the government.

And I'm supposed to take them seriously when they stand in front of a microphone and talk about how hard it is to secure government systems..

people **** about the size of the government and this is what happens. If you allow the govt to hire within and pay them compared to the Apples and Googles of the world, most of the work would be done in house.  Right now, with the number of billets, you have to contract out certain work.  

hey guys i have a sumsaung sound bar hw-c451 but the issue i have is that i cant get any sound through any of the smart tv apps but i can get sound if i am watching a movie through my blue ray or watching cable. any ideas???

My first question was going to be about ARC and how you're set up, but does the description of your setup in this sound like you?

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-do-i-get-sound-from-my-tvs-apps/

If so, those might be the best solutions.

---------------------------

on a side note my boss surprised me with a new blackberry priv yesterday... i love this phone.

This isn't an Apple vs Android/Windows thing but invariably the engineers at work when asked why they got an Android one reason always seems to be: I can customize it.

But since they just got it, they haven't customize it yet. So what are these "customizations" that they do to their phones?

This isn't an Apple vs Android/Windows thing but invariably the engineers at work when asked why they got an Android one reason always seems to be: I can customize it.

But since they just got it, they haven't customize it yet. So what are these "customizations" that they do to their phones?

With Android, there's just alot more you can do to make your phone feel different. For one, your screens don't just have to be filled with every app you download or folders full of apps you don't use.

If you don't like your theme? Download a new one. Don't like your launcher? Download a new one. Don't like the stock app icons? Download new ones. Want to see a snap shot of your messages without having to open the app? Put the widget on the home screen.

Just little things like that can make your phone feel more unique than with an iPhone. And saying all that, I switched from Android to iPhone recently. I definitely miss being able to make the phone feel different than every one elses.

• Like 1

Ah, thanks. Not minimizing that (no pun intended) but is that all? I always thought they made it sound like some highly complex actions. 

You can always root your Android phone as well. Basically, it gives you admin rights to your phone. Think of it as your work computer. Certain things are locked on your computer, unless you have admin rights. That's how your phone is until you root it. Similar to jailbreaking an iPhone. Admittedly, I've never jailbroken and iPhone before, but have rooted Android phones before and it's a pretty easy process.

You can always root your Android phone as well. Basically, it gives you admin rights to your phone. Think of it as your work computer. Certain things are locked on your computer, unless you have admin rights. That's how your phone is until you root it. Similar to jailbreaking an iPhone. Admittedly, I've never jailbroken and iPhone before, but have rooted Android phones before and it's a pretty easy process.

I wish. Whenever I try to root mine, I find the exploits have been closed up. Why can't I have ownership of my own goddamn phone?

I wish. Whenever I try to root mine, I find the exploits have been closed up. Why can't I have ownership of my own goddamn phone?

I was never able to root my Moto X because the bootloader was never unlocked. I'm not sure why they make it so difficult either. It's your phone, you should be able to do with it what you want.

I was never able to root my Moto X because the bootloader was never unlocked. I'm not sure why they make it so difficult either. It's your phone, you should be able to do with it what you want.

One of the primary reasons I want to root is for privacy reasons, too. It's ridiculous the permissions some of the apps ask for. No, file browser, you have no need to know my location. I've completely disabled my GPS as a result. Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1