Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

what does that mean? I have a xbox and a laptop.  is that enough?

AC is the latest wireless standard and is faster and offers better range than N. If your laptop or Xbox is capable of AC you would want to get and AC router. If not you can get an N or future proof yourself and get an AC.

AC is the latest wireless standard and is faster and offers better range than N. If your laptop or Xbox is capable of AC you would want to get and AC router. If not you can get an N or future proof yourself and get an AC.

thanks HOF. i am trying to find one under $50-75 for my new house!

Do yourself a favor and directly connect that xbox to your router. Would you rather get the speed you're paying for, or potentially half?

As I mentioned above, I've been using the wifi signal strength app. Near the base it's around 60 Mbps, where my Playstation is it drops to like 8 Mbps or at best in the teens. It's kept in a cubby in the armoire and I think the signal gets bounced or something. 

Found out tonight that there is such a thing as a wifi signal strength detector app. Downloaded it onto my iPhone and walked around the house.

Right next to my router I'm getting a strong 60MBps, while in my problem areas it's between 8 and 20 MBps.

Which app did you download? I'm interested to see one like that, I just couldn't find one with that name on the App Store. Edited by Redskin4ever

Android is awful.

My company bought some Samsung tablets to have our technicians do inspections from. Cool. Well we need to be able to print these inspections out on our networked Brother printer.

Can't do it.

So I look and find the Brother printer app on the Android Play store. Can't just download it, I have to create an account on this tablet that I don't own (of course I have to create a fake using my own information). Download the app. Cool, app is downloaded and something printed out.

Took me a good 20-30 minutes to accomplish this.

Could have done this in 2 steps, without having to download a companion app, on an Apple.

You don't need a separate app to print to a network printer.

True. But I'd expect any IT dept who is issuing android or IOS devices to create a business Google acct or Apple ID before giving it to their users.

Could've saved you 20-30 minutes.

Edited by Gamebreaker

True. But I'd expect any IT dept who is issuing android or IOS devices to create a business Google acct or Apple ID before giving it to their users.

Could've saved you 20-30 minutes.

It's a vendor who sells us this stuff. There are apps that work with our service writing software that they load onto these tablets and sell to us. Highly customizable apps, that quite frankly need some refinement.

Now it's up to me, the most IT able person at my business to "make it work". This involves calling them all the time because some aspect isn't working correctly, or how we want it to.

It's frustrating.

<rant>

You accounting system migration project managers are the worst. You sit in meeting after meeting, asked repeatedly to keep us in the loop and give us ample time to prep the system. You say oh yeah, but do you actually do that? Nope, you can't see beyond the next hour. When you do take a shot at timelines I might as well just delete the email as soon as it arrives because there's a better chance of my **** randomly falling off than you sticking to ANYTHING on the timeline.

You give spreadsheets on table layouts to us. Then you change them. BUT YOU NEVER TELL US YOU CHANGED THEM. Thanks!

No check that, you are the second worst.

The only people worse than you are the "IT" people you set us up with to get your product installed. I've never encountered a 'field' of people that are so categorically incompetent. You don't know what databases/environments your own product works/doesn't work in. You can't work your way through a problem unless someone else already has and the provide you with step by step directions. And even then, if just one variable changes, you're completely ****ing lost and worthless. You have no grasp on the value of centrally managing authentication. You use a directory service? **** that local accounts because that's all you know how to do.

The worst part? When you don't know the answer to a question you JUST MAKE IT UP. Shocker how often that backfires; but not on you, no you can't figure anything out unless someone else spells it out for you, remember? Someone else has to clean up your mess.

</endrant>

It's almost Friday...

Edited by tshile

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Mac that's been running flawlessly for 6 or 7 years. Until yesterday. It's probably at the end of its brutal life, right? Get the data off it and get a new one?

You should be backing up your data to an external on a monthly basis anyway. :) buy a $60 1 TB Western Digital drive for Macs and get yourself backed up before its too late.

I do/did at least I think I did. I had Timemachine to backup to my external drive. But I hadn't checked it in years and I know the external drive has been powered down from time to time.

I've been slogging through the back up process for close to 24 hours now.

"129, 652 items preparing to copy "

Fun times.

• Like 1

Helpful link for DBA's or Sys Admins who are forced into double duty with SQL.

Checklist for DBA's

https://www.simple-talk.com/sql/database-administration/brads-sure-dba-checklist/

And when your DBA's can't do things on their own, and they want to implement new tech in SQL:

Configuring SQL Always On Availability Groups

http://stevenpoitras.com/2014/02/configure-sql-db-availability-group/

I actually just went through this for our enterprise systems. Pretty cool, taking a page from Exchange clustering tech.

Better than traditional SQL clusters IMO, since you don't need shared storage and can span sites.

Edited by Zguy28
  • Like 2

Anyone good with phones?

I have an Samsung S4 an am on AT&T's network through Straight Talk. I finally got the option to upgrade to 5.0 (lollipop) from 4.4.? (kitkat).

However, now that I have upgraded, I keep getting the error message that my phone cannot connect to the google play store and that "Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped."

Am I going to need to reset to factory default and try again? 

Edit..figured out how to unbrick it. Well..it wasn't bricked. How about..exterminate the bugs. 

So yeah. 

Edited by The Evil Genius