Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Russell ESPN980 contract will not be renewed

smithmal

Didn't see a thread on this so I thought I'd mention it.

Per twitter and other reports ESPN980 has decided not to renew his contract.  I think he'll have two more shows next week (Wednesday and Thursday) and then he's done.

Personally I was never impressed with Chris "insider" reporting and ability to be engaging on the radio.  From my understanding Grant is getting more Redskin coverage with makes me happy.

smithmal

Didn't see a thread on this so I thought I'd mention it.

Per twitter and other reports ESPN980 has decided not to renew his contract.  I think he'll have two more shows next week (Wednesday and Thursday) and then he's done.

Personally I was never impressed with Chris "insider" reporting and ability to be engaging on the radio.  From my understanding Grant is getting more Redskin coverage with makes me happy.

smithmal

I'm never happy to see anyone lose their job.

That said, I will not be sad with him leaving. His absolute shilling for Haslett last year was BEYOND pathetic. He's routinely obnoxious to listen to. And I lost all respect for him when he claimed he'd leave the station if we got DeSean Jackson and then didn't leave the station. If anything, this is him simply making good on that guarantee a couple years after the fact.

Perhaps he can go up to New York and get a job covering the team he's a fan of.

Never liked the guy. And his recent hobby of breaking down draft prospects was a waste of time. He needed to focus on being an insider, which he wasn't very good at. I'm assuming Haslett was one of his few sources.

This. Brought very little to the table.

That said, I will not be sad with him leaving. His absolute shilling for Haslett last year was BEYOND pathetic. He's routinely obnoxious to listen to. And I lost all respect for him when he claimed he'd leave the station if we got DeSean Jackson and then didn't leave the station. If anything, this is him simply making good on that guarantee a couple years after the fact.

Nah he's going to Happy Valley, PA

I think this thread is fine for anyone who wants to discuss Russel and/or his situation exclusively. Normally it'd be better off in the radio talk thread (I hate Lavar and Chad thread) or left to fizzle out in the Twitter thread, but it's the slowest part of the offseason right now so what the heck.

And I think the radio thread isn't even on the front page right now so no worries, smithmal. :)

Wow. Can't believe people are being snarky about a person not religiously following a giant Twitter thread.

Where's my lighten up Francis meme when I need it...

I was being snark about the location of the twitter thread. Lol

Lol pretty sure he was talking about my post. He just didn't want me to answer back...lol

And in true random thought thread form...

My answer to him...to quote aliens...is "look into my eye"

Never liked the guy. And his recent hobby of breaking down draft prospects was a waste of time. He needed to focus on being an insider, which he wasn't very good at. I'm assuming Haslett was one of his few sources.

Yup. He's among the most obnoxious I've listened to. He just spent entirely too much time talking about himself and how he did (or didn't) acquire the information, not enough about the actual information...

I found myself constantly thinking "Damnit russel no one cares, get to the point"

When he left 106.7 Chad Dukes described him as "making it all about himself", and I thought it was sour grapes at the time. No, he was dead on accurate. Dude makes it all about himself, and the truth is he just isn't that interesting.

I've been waiting for this day for a while.

Side notes:

This is why you don't put your company in your twitter handle.

I always wanted Grant Paulsen to replace him on 980. He'd be an awesome fit. No nonsense guy that definitely doesn't make it about himself as a beat reporter.

I always wanted Grant Paulsen to replace him on 980. He'd be an awesome fit. No nonsense guy that definitely doesn't make it about himself as a beat reporter.

Grant Paulsen was on last year on the TV show Redskins Showtime with Chris Cooley saying 7 teams wanted to hire Jim Haslett if we fired him.  The guy is an idiot.

Yup. He's among the most obnoxious I've listened to. He just spent entirely too much time talking about himself and how he did (or didn't) acquire the information, not enough about the actual information...

I found myself constantly thinking "Damnit russel no one cares, get to the point"

When he left 106.7 Chad Dukes described him as "making it all about himself", and I thought it was sour grapes at the time. No, he was dead on accurate. Dude makes it all about himself, and the truth is he just isn't that interesting.

As for the Dukes comment, I've heard him say on air how they lost a good one in Chris Russell but got an even better one in Paulsen.  I've heard Dukes and Paulsen joke on air one time about Russell in the context of Shanny's press conferences both saying they dig him.  When Russell let it out that he was being let go, it was Dukes who tweeted to him, hope he comes back to 106.7, if I recalled he framed as going back to the "good guys"

As for Paulsen, I like him.  But he goes on his fair share of tangents about the guys he likes or dislikes -- i.e., if you listen to Grant, we have Peyton Manning sitting on the bench in Kirk Cousins, he's not wild about D. Jax.   Not as zealously as Russell, but Grant for the most part had Haslett's back.  And he's admitted he is pals with McVay and will go to bat for him.

To each their own but for me its mostly about which guys are passionate about the team and give it ample coverage whether I agree with some of their slants or not, its why I like Sheehan and for that matter Paulsen and Russell. Ironically I don't agree with them on their specific pet issues -- with Sheehan its Shanny walks on water, with Paulsen its Cousins is a stud and Russell its his love for Haz.  

The guys I don't like as much are the ones who can care less about the team (Tony, most of the Junkies-though the Junkies are entertaining on other fronts) or seem to get their jollies more for trashing the team (J. Reid, B. Mitchell, Arrington)  

Interesting. I remember Dukes saying that when Russell first left, but I guess he's gotten over that since then; which is good, for both of them.

I'm beyond putting stock into those  'insiders' and whether they are right or not. Russell just constantly annoys me. I can deal with the rest.

Interesting. I remember Dukes saying that when Russell first left, but I guess he's gotten over that since then; which is good, for both of them.

I'm beyond putting stock into those  'insiders' and whether they are right or not. Russell just constantly annoys me. I can deal with the rest.

I recall that there was some bitterness about losing him to a rival station.   Funny the guys at 106.7 seem to take their occasional swipes at 980 but I've never heard it go vice versa.   As for Russell on the radio, its all about what people like or not like so there is obviously no right or wrong answer to it.  But, just from comments from others on the radio, most people seem to find Russell to be a super nice guy so I gather Dukes got over it and likes the dude.   Like I said, he was the one guy from that station ironically who said come on back.

Dukes actually likes or at least once did -- arguably the most often maligned radio-TV broadcaster, Larry Michael.  I recall a segment a few years ago where callers trashed Larry and Dukes defended him and said his radio broadcasts were good.  Though I wonder if that changed after Larry got hot and complained about Danny Rouhier's segments where he imitates-mocks Larry's broadcasts. 

I think the hosts at 106.7 generally acknowledge that they are friendly with their counterparts at 980, but play along the "how independent can they be since Snyder owns the station" line.  Contrast that to the situation in Philly, where the afternoon drive-time hosts on the rival stations have openly sniped at each other.

Funny the guys at 106.7 seem to take their occasional swipes at 980 but I've never heard it go vice versa. 

That's become the guys at 980 are professionals and the ones at 106.7 are sports radio hacks :)

I always considered Larry maligned as well (though his theisman-like homerism definitely deserves it) but I saw some... interesting interactions between him an staff at an event one time that made me convinced he's just a nasty person. probably unfair to judge a person that way but i'm going to anyways :)

Russell put the work in, but I really didn't like listening to him.  He was so long-winded, it was ridiculous.  I swear there were entire segments where he'd take 17 minutes to set up the scenario before giving his actual thoughts.  I didn't think his observations on talent were terrible - we all know you'll hit on some and miss on others.  I haven't spent a ton of time listing to 106.7 but I think Paulsen is pretty talented.  I'd love to see him jump over to 980.

I haven't spent a ton of time listing to 106.7 but I think Paulsen is pretty talented.  I'd love to see him jump over to 980.

I don't listen to 106.7 but for some reason they are beating WTEM pretty hard in the ratings that last couple of months.  I cannot imagine why but that's what I read.

Archived