Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

Here's the thing... I think, at least right now, a relegation system in the US would bankrupt a lot of clubs as much as it would help a lot of clubs.

A lot of Americans don't understand the concept (I gave a 20 minute white board explanation to a lot of my guys when explaining Champions League and the pyramid - I also think it's something college football should look into and that would help) and with MLS struggling as it is, you're going to tell a club's supporters that their team can't win an MLS championship until they get back to MLS?  That's just a concept you're going to have a hard time selling to THIS particular generation of Americans who are lost on the definition of delayed gratification.

Hopefully (and I think inevitably) a merger with the NASL is in the cards.  That's when you can sit down and have the discussions of setting up a lower division.

FWIW, and it's only talk, but there's brewing talk here that Klinsmann is close to being the next Southampton manager. 

Hail. 

Zero chance that happens. 

And there's the disconnect between US Soccer and the flagship MLS. 

MLS want to grow the product and see foreign names as dollar signs where there should from the get go of been far more emphasis on growing the WHOLE game Stateside. With American players AND coaches. Not falling back on importing. 

Hail. 

Ding-ding! 

Money, money, money... that's why the relegation sell is going to be a tough sell.

Considering that MLS is behind both EPL and Liga MX in ratings, I think this generation understands promotion/relegation just fine.

Plus, MLS clubs are in the red because the 'salary cap' prevents them from buying better players to improve their poor product (which drives domestic viewers from MLS and towards the foreign leagues).

Edited by FanboyOf91

Considering that MLS is behind both EPL and Liga MX in ratings, I think this generation understands promotion/relegation just fine.

Plus, MLS clubs are in the red because the 'salary cap' prevents them from buying better players to improve their poor product (which drives domestic viewers from MLS and towards the foreign leagues).

Sure the ones who are watching and going to games understand it, but the ones who aren't watching right now... you know, the ones you're trying to attract to the product (somehow, with the stupid tv package)... that's a tough sell.

It would be a financial nightmare for a league that is already struggling in ratings (as you just pointed out) and outside of your regulars and some of the bigger clubs with an aging star or two, are struggling to get folks to go to their matches and buy merchandise, etc.

The European leagues have been around for well over 100 years... there's more history and passion that drives folks to those leagues than quality.  I'll watch Millwall and Leads play before I watch the two best teams from MLS play each other (and they can probably beat them).

But if you want to implement a relegation system in MLS/NASL you're going to have to do away with the draft.  Most kids would be hard pressed to stay and play in the US if you told them you're going to the worst team at the bottom of the pyramid and they had any kind of offer from a foreign league.

A lot more to think about than just flipping a switch.

Donovan Goal

I was very happy when that happened, but that wasn't even the greatest goal in US Soccer in the last six years.

Dwarfed by this one:

Ian Darke on both calls... but stoppage time of extra time in a knockout game?  Not even close.  I think that was the semis too.

Edited by DC9

Both of the goals shown here are great, but none compare to this one:

Also, we can talk about Pro/Rel sometime when the actual games die down.

Don't ever see it here in the States.

Edited by btfoom

Both of the goals shown here are great, but none compare to this one:

Also, we can talk about Pro/Rel sometime when the actual games die down.

Don't ever see it here in the States.

Yeah, it basically all started with that one.

I can't remember who did the special, I want to say it was espn, but they did a whole doc on that kick and the effects of it.  They were flirting with shutting down the US Soccer program had that game not gone that way.

Amazing if you think about it.

• Like 1

Yeah, it basically all started with that one.

I can't remember who did the special, I want to say it was espn, but they did a whole doc on that kick and the effects of it.  They were flirting with shutting down the US Soccer program had that game not gone that way.

Amazing if you think about it.

Plus, the US had been awarded the 1994 World Cup and NEEDED to qualify for Italy to show the doubters that they belonged.  

Remember watching that game, it was as grainy as it looks on Youtube.  Funny to see even on phones today we get better pics.

Plus, the US had been awarded the 1994 World Cup and NEEDED to qualify for Italy to show the doubters that they belonged.  

Remember watching that game, it was as grainy as it looks on Youtube.  Funny to see even on phones today we get better pics.

It wasn't as bad as Qatar, but close.  1990, only 24 teams back then.  I worked for a sports station then, and got my 1st real exposure to the WC, as I watch pretty much every game.  The U.S. only lost to Italy 1-0, which was huge.  I will never forget some italian taking a PK on Tony Meola, and trying to make him look terrible by chipping it over him, Meola never moved and stopped it easily.

• Like 2

I guess, it's also easy to forget but  in some ways we've come a long way from that Caligiuri goal. I don't know if Meola would sniff the net these days. But are we much better than Earnie Stewart, Harkes, Reyna, Balboa, Cobi Jones, Tab Ramos? 

• Like 2

I guess, it's also easy to forget but  in some ways we've come a long way from that Caligiuri goal. I don't know if Meola would sniff the net these days. But are we much better than Earnie Stewart, Harkes, Reyna, Balboa, Cobi Jones, Tab Ramos? 

Meola was great, I'll bet with today's training he would still be on the team.  Earnie Stewart. The US ran one play over and over, the long ball to Stewart who was always the fastest guy on the field. Amazing how many times it worked when everyone knew what we were trying to do.  Stewart had very little skill outside of straightaway speed.  

Meola was great, I'll bet with today's training he would still be on the team.  Earnie Stewart. The US ran one play over and over, the long ball to Stewart who was always the fastest guy on the field. Amazing how many times it worked when everyone knew what we were trying to do.  Stewart had very little skill outside of straightaway speed.  

Part of that was Bora ball. But is, say, Gyasi Zardes or Jozy any different than Earnie?

Harkes and Reyna, IMO, much better than Bradley. 

Are Jeff Cameron and Brooks markedly better than Marcelo Balboa? 

• Like 1

Part of that was Bora ball. But is, say, Gyasi Zardes or Jozy any different than Earnie?

Harkes and Reyna, IMO, much better than Bradley. 

Are Jeff Cameron and Brooks markedly better than Marcelo Balboa? 

Not much diff than Earnie, except he was faster than both of them. His speed still hid flaws that guys even a step slower can't get away with.

Harkes and Reyna certainly start for any team the US has put out so far.

Eddie Pope was slightly after those guys, but he is my pick for alltime US defender.  Not a deep list on the back line.  I am still wondering what Omar Gonzales must have done or said to be left off this team.

Can't exactly field this team but my all-time would be:

McBride, Wynalda, Donovan, Dempsey, Tab Ramos, Harkes, Reyna, John O'Brien, Freidel

I don't really have a strong feeling on defenders. 

Onyewu, Pope, Balboa, Boca(?), etc could make a case.

I loved Claudio.  He was always my favorite player.  I think everyone like Cobi's hair.

Lalas was always fake.  Used to be a hippy, now he's a "bad ass.." go figure.

But we have and we haven't come a long way.

Reyna and Lalas all played over seas.  Lalas was the first American to ever play in Serie A.

Nah, I don't think so.  Meola had a lot of natural ability with being a keeper as far as being able to get to angles and stuff... plus he had the sweet pony... but he's no better than a Nick Rimando when it comes to talent.

• Like 1