Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Phantom Time Hypothesis

I'm sure many of you are aware of this, but I just heard about this today and it is blowing my mind. Granted, I'm sure it's just a conspiracy theory, but the idea that it's even remotely possible is so interesting to me. 

http://www.damninteresting.com/the-phantom-time-hypothesis/

When Dr. Hans-Ulrich Niemitz introduces his paper on the "phantom time hypothesis," he kindly asks his readers to be patient, benevolent, and open to radically new ideas, because his claims are highly unconventional. This is because his paper is suggesting three difficult-to-believe propositions: 1) Hundreds of years ago, our calendar was polluted with 297 years which never occurred; 2) this is not the year 2005, but rather 1708; and 3) The purveyors of this hypothesis are not crackpots.

The Phantom Time Hypothesis suggests that the early Middle Ages (614-911 A.D.) never happened, but were added to the calendar long ago either by accident, by misinterpretation of documents, or by deliberate falsification by calendar conspirators. This would mean that all artifacts ascribed to those three centuries belong to other periods, and that all events thought to have occurred during that same period occurred at other times, or are outright fabrications. For instance, a man namedHeribert Illig (pictured), one of the leading proponents of the theory, believes that Charlemagnewas a fictional character. But what evidence is this outlandish theory based upon?

Funny thing...not one person alive today knows when year one actually was.

Personally, I think we are in year unknown million.

Interesting however.

I know when year 1 was

It was the first year :D

Actually...the 2nd year...lol

Meh. Lots of crazy theories out there by highly educated nutjobs. I bought my wife a book by an author who claims the homeric legends were actually based on wars in the Baltic Sea, and then passed down to the Greeks when the Baltic peoples migrated south. The author goes to fairly great lengths to match the geography of the Iliad with Baltic landmarks.

Too late to change it now, even if this crackpot theory incredibly turns out to be true, it's too late to change it all now without making a mess of things. Best to just go with it.

"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoléon

I've heard of it. There is an interesting prima facie case here, as that era is conspicuously short on notable writings and events.

That said, I don't think any medieval historians take this seriously.

The writer of the article quoted in the OP has it about right in my opinion, there is some interesting evidence, but it just isn't enough to accept such an extraordinary claim.

That said, I don't think any medieval historians take this seriously.

But the conspiracy folks will tell you that stance is entirely predictable.  After all those historians would look quite the fools if this proved to be true.  :)

But the conspiracy folks will tell you that stance is entirely predictable. After all those historians would look quite the fools if this proved to be true. :)

Off topic, but I really dislike how the word "conspiracy" is used nowadays. The word really isn't a synonym for "crackpot."

(Not a dig at you Des, your usage is in keeping with ordinary usage in recent times, it's just that the word doesn't really mean what people think it means).

Off topic, but I really dislike how the word "conspiracy" is used nowadays. The word really isn't a synonym for "crackpot."

(Not a dig at you Des, your usage is in keeping with ordinary usage in recent times, it's just that the word doesn't really mean what people think it means).

inigo-montoya_that-word.jpg?w=700

Yeah, the moon landing was a hoax and Bush took down the towers...

Albeit, it is interesting until I realize that it is a conspiracy.

I guess my complaints about the misuse of the word "conspiracy" will continue to fall on deaf ears.  

I guess my complaints about the misuse of the word "conspiracy" will continue to fall on deaf ears.

They're conspiring to ignore your complaints.

I'm with you, though. Richard Nixon spying on the Democrats at Watergate was a conspiracy. A conspiracy is a very real thing.

Lol I think I am just going to use conspiracy in every possible thread, and never correctly...let's see how long before you go nuts...lol

Archived