Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins: Jamison Crowder WR Duke

TSO

In a very 'meh' draft, this guy is one of the few standouts.

Instant slot contributor who adds greatly on teams. Get creative and he could do a bit of everything. Great steal who should of gone a lot higher.

Pocket firework. Really like this pick up.

Hail.

Your observations are meh.

Think I'll ride with Scot, thanks.

Great pick!

Will add juice immediately!

Love the way he gently lays the ball on the carpet or flips to referee after he scores!!

Act like ya been there before.

Bill Polian loved the pick. Mentioned Wes Welker...

I'm just glad somebody sees the value in a great returner for a change.

I am very excited about this pick. Gives us a credible punt return threat for the first time in a very long time. I found it interesting that Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Tim Mayock, Bill Polian, and Bucky Brooks compared Crowder to slot receivers like Julian Edelman, Antonio Brown, and Wes Welker. That is VERY good company. He may be a little small but he has the shake and bake for a great punt returner and slot receiver. The more I read and view about this guy, the more I like him.

I knew nothing about this kid before we picked him.  Now after watching his highlight reels and the story of him and his brother this is my favorite pick of the draft.  Quality, quality pick -- really rooting for him, think he can be a difference maker.

I am thinking he more likely takes Moss's spot on the roster. But then again, Moss always seems to stick around.

WRs usually take a year or 2 before they contribute significantly. #pumpingthebrakes

If he can beat out Moss Andre and others and earn a spot on the active roster, I do want to see Jay get the ball into his hands. He looks like a playmaker.

He reminds me a bit of a young Santana actually.

I love this pick. We need to properly utilize him but I see a lot of John Brown tools here. I think he could be a big upgrade in the slot for us as we haven't had a shifty guy that creates space quite like this. He had some ball handling issues at the senior bowl, not fielding kicks cleanly, but if he shores that up he can be active on gamedays as our PR and start to chip away at Roberts.

He'll be a big preseason stud around here.  

What do you guys think of a receiving corp of 

Garcon, Jackson, Grant, Crowder, and ________

Gone would be both Moss and Roberts.  You'd have two really good trusted vets as starters and two high potential quick/slot pups as back ups.  Not sure who the fifth would be... perhaps someone tall just to make the fans happy.

Can someone explain to me how his Pro-Day numbers were so much better than his Combine numbers?  I mean, there's a limit to what a "fast track" can do.  Almost every single combine stat had a massive improvement.

Was he not training for the combine?  Was he hurt?  What?

Combine - to - Pro Day

40 Yard Dash:

4.56 to 4.46

10 Yard Split:

1.70 to 1.56

Broad Jump

9'07" to 10'03"

Short Shuttle

4.32 to 4.26

Three Cone

7.17 to 6.99

This is one of my all time favorite Crowder plays. 

If you don't get excited about the block that he lays, then football ain't for you. 

Well, I had previously said one of the themes of the draft was blocking, in that everyone was a decent blocker at their respective position, save for Crowder who I hadn't seen anything on.

I'll have to revise that.

Everyone blocks.

Oh man, Alfred must be drooling.  He's gonna get sprung for SO many long runs if these guys play decently.

I watched some more highlights on him and man he changes pace and accelerates lightning quick.  I knew he could do before, but it's still so awesome to watch knowing that he's ours.

I'm very excited to see our WR screen game this coming year.  Spencer was primarily a blocking WR, which is kinda weird but when mixed with Garcon and Crowder, two guys clearly capable of taking it to the house on a screen, you've got an interesting and potentially deadly combination.  Crowder runs a couple go routes early, earns himself a cushion from the CB.  Then he gets the screen, makes the CB miss with a juke and his acceleration, and Spencer blocks the safety/LB, and boom, Crowder's GONE.  First down at least, probably a lot more.

If we go that route, it should help RGIII too.  Being able to just dump off quickly and get good yardage should help his confidence.  It doesn't require him to throw a guy open or sit on a route for several seconds, it's snap, throw, done, chance of a sack very low.

• 3 months later...

i think he played well (cant remember if he had a drop and there was a miscue on one play). 

dude is fast and shifty and if he gets playing time this year with cousins he will be a weapon. 

He flashed some and rookied some. Good first showing. Looked like he belonged.

If Crowder can continue to improve, I really don't think we lose all that much WR production going from Garçon and DJax to Grant and Crowder when the time comes.

PS- is this this last year for Garçon and Jackson or is it next year? I think next but not 100% sure.

Edit- yep next year. But Garçon has a $10m cap hit, wonder if he'll be on the team in '16.

There is still a part of me that would kinda like our receiving corp this year to be:

Garcon, Jackson, Grant, Crowder, and Ross.

Cut Roberts and put Spencer on the practice squad. If you want a sixth receiver maybe even go with Bell. Roberts hasn't done much to deserve being cut this preseason (though he still has too many drops) but I like the upside of the youth. Looking three years down the road, this could be a pretty cool crew to go with... esp. if we can ever find an Art Monk to go with all these Smurfs.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump. This. ****. Son. 

One day we will have a return unit that is half-decent. It will happen folks. Law of averages.

Since the Antwaan Randle-El days we've had 1 return TD in the last 6 seasons from kickoffs or punts. That was the waaaaay too small for the NFL Brandon Banks who had a brilliant 2010 season and also fumbled the ball... oh... 13 times in his 3 seasons here. (kinda miss the little guy actually)

In the last 6 seasons on punt returns specifically we've averaged 7.9 YPR which is good for about 21st in the league in that span. Return TDs are so seldom around here that you can actually remember our last punt return TD from Santana in 2008. Almost a decade ago now. 

Kickoffs are a little less important these days since they moved it up to the 35 yard line. Might not even see a returnable kick Sunday against Miami with their kicker. 

So folks, how many mistakes will we tolerate from Crowder before we call for his head?  :D  Or maybe for once we'll have a returner that doesn't randomly drop the ball or randomly run backwards at the worst possible times?

Archived