Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

• 2 weeks later...

'Historic' Heat Wave Sets Record Highs Across West Coast and Canada—And It's Still Getting Hotter [Updated]

Record-breaking temperatures are scorching America’s West Coast and parts of Canada amid what the National Weather Service is calling a “historic and unprecedented heat wave”—and the summer sizzle hasn’t even reached its peak yet, AccuWeather reports.

More than 20 million people across six states are under heat alerts from the NWS. Dozens of daily record-high temperatures were broken on Saturday in states ranging from Washington to California. Further north, the heat wave set a national record in Canada on Sunday: Lytton, a village in British Columbia, hit roughly 115 degrees Fahrenheit (46.1 degrees Celsius), beating the country’s previous all-time high of 113 degrees Fahrenheit (45 degrees Celsius) set in 1937, according to Environment and Climate Change Canada.

Temperatures are expected to rise even higher on Sunday and into Monday in certain places, with “no relief in sight” this week for areas to the east of the Cascades, eastern Oregon, eastern Washington State, much of Idaho, and into western Montana, according to the NWS.

“After record-breaking heat was felt over the Pacific Northwest and Northern Great Basin on Saturday, even hotter temperatures are forecast today and Monday throughout the region,” it said in a Sunday bulletin. “High temperatures are forecast to soar 20-30+ degrees above average in Washington and Oregon, including highly populated areas west of the Cascade Mountains. Highs well into the triple digits will significantly increase the threat of heat related illnesses.”

Click on the link for the full article

11 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Lol, that's my second-favorite line in the movie.  Favorite is, "is this a God Dam?  Heh heh, you know, God dam?"

Raining on and off in Tulsa...at least its not 100 degrees and stagnant.  God Dam.

I get that it’s 110 in Seattle and how bad that is and how it means that global warming is gonna kill us all.

But… I also know that Richmond, Va has been alternating between 100+ degree Summers and Cat 4-5 hurricanes for 40+ years.  If not more…

Melting pavement?   AC going out out?  Been there, done that.

Edited by TryTheBeal!

Luzerne County man bakes chocolate chip cookies in hot car

It's so hot out you could fry an egg.....or bake some chocolate chip cookies for your coworkers!

He had the idea to place a baking sheet on his dashboard at 10:30 this morning while the cookies basked in the sun.

Four hours later the cookies were ready and enjoyed by his coworkers at Lehigh Valley Health Network and Wellness Center in Hazleton!

625e02a6-2c12-4fd8-8b6a-9fc514cf3da7-med

Click on the link for the full story

• Like 1

At least 486 dead in British Columbia amid historic heat wave

Nearly 500 people have died in British Columbia since Friday as a historic heat wave grips the region, Chief Coroner Lisa Lapointe said in a statement Wednesday.

Why it matters: The heatwave in the Pacific Northwest has shattered records and alarmed scientists. In Lytton, British Columbia the temperature soared to 121°F on Tuesday, conditions which, in North America, are usually reserved for the desert Southwest.

The big picture: The record-breaking temperatures scorching the Pacific Northwest have translated to a markedly higher death rate than usual in British Columbia.

"The last five days in British Columbia have seen an unprecedented number of deaths reported to the BC Coroners Service. Between Friday and 1 p.m. today, at least 486 sudden and unexpected deaths have been reported to our agency," Lapointe noted.

The 486 deaths represent a "195% increase over the approximately 165 deaths that would normally occur in the province over a five-day period," she added.

Tropical Storm Elsa, 5th named storm, forms in Atlantic Ocean

Tropical Storm Elsa has formed over the tropical Atlantic on Thursday morning and is expected to cause heavy rains that may lead to isolated flash flooding and mudslides in the Caribbean.

Elsa is the earliest fifth named storm on record, beating out last year’s Eduardo which formed on July 6, according to Colorado State University hurricane researcher Phil Klotzbach.

Elsa had maximum sustained winds of 40 mph (64 kmh) with higher gusts and was 865 miles (1,390 kilometers) east-southeast of the Windward Islands, according to the National Hurricane Center. Tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 105 miles (168 kilometers) from the center. It was moving west at 25 mph (40 kmh). An even faster motion to the west-northwest is expected over the next 24 to 36 hours.

elsa.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

The storm is expected to pass near or over portions of the Windward Islands or the southern Leeward Islands on Friday, move into the eastern Caribbean Sea late Friday and Friday night, and move near the southern coast of Hispaniola on Saturday.

VERIFY: Yes, aluminum foil can be used over windows to help keep homes cool

Emergency management agencies specifically recommend using aluminum foil-covered cardboard that goes between windows and drapes.

Historic heat waves have rocked parts of the United States this week, leading to record-breaking temperatures over 110 degrees Fahrenheit in cities like Portland, Oregon.

People took to social media to share ways people in homes with no air conditioning or poor air conditioning could fight the heat and stay cool. One method in particular stood out because users claimed it was both cheap and effective: covering windows with aluminum foil to reflect sunlight and the heat back outside.

A TikTok video sharing the method got more than 100,000 likes and several tweets sharing the tactic received thousands of likes and retweets. All of the posts tell people to black out windows with aluminum foil.

When my AC finally died a few year ago, my house was 90+ at night.  Much higher than the outside, even with no sun to contend with, which was in the 80s. Covering windows will help, so I’m sure building aluminum shades for every window will help stop a house from turning into a kiln, but the sun isn’t the only thing heating up a house.  Your appliances, electronics, and your own warm body are adding to the ambient temp.  This is a real problem when the outside is 100+.  

• Like 1

Well, I really lucky with the storm that just blew through.  A large tree came down from near the back corner of my house.  Fortunately it missed the house and the power lines, and fell at such an angle in my yard that it missed almost everything.  I'll take pictures tomorrow and post them.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, China said:

VERIFY: Yes, aluminum foil can be used over windows to help keep homes cool

Emergency management agencies specifically recommend using aluminum foil-covered cardboard that goes between windows and drapes.

Historic heat waves have rocked parts of the United States this week, leading to record-breaking temperatures over 110 degrees Fahrenheit in cities like Portland, Oregon.

People took to social media to share ways people in homes with no air conditioning or poor air conditioning could fight the heat and stay cool. One method in particular stood out because users claimed it was both cheap and effective: covering windows with aluminum foil to reflect sunlight and the heat back outside.

A TikTok video sharing the method got more than 100,000 likes and several tweets sharing the tactic received thousands of likes and retweets. All of the posts tell people to black out windows with aluminum foil.

Stopping the 5gs and keeping my cooling costs down?! And it’s a natural alien deterrent... 

Now that’s a score! 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Richmond gonna catch one tomorrow.  Maybe the 3+ inches of rain will put out the smoldering ruins that have been burning since Antifa sacked the city last summer.

Thank you for not letting me forget about this lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Temperatures in Death Valley, Las Vegas already challenging records in the latest Southwest heat wave

Extreme heat in Death Valley pushed the mercury up to 128 degrees Fahrenheit about three weeks ago, far above what's normal there for this time of year. And another round of above-average heat was building in the region, sent temperatures skyrocketing to begin the weekend.

On Friday, the temperature at Death Valley soared to 130 degrees, breaking the previous daily record high of 129 set back in 1913, according to the National Weather Service. This reading comes within 4 degrees of the all-time world record of 134 F set there in 1913. The 134-degree mark happens to be the world record for the highest temperature ever measured on Earth.

High temperatures on Saturday and Sunday are also forecast to reach within a few degrees of 130 in Death Valley, and this reading may repeat on Monday.

On Friday, Las Vegas, Nevada, set a new daily record-high temperature of 116, breaking the previous record of 113, which was set back in 1943 and tied in 2012. This also came within 1 degree of the all-time record of 117, set in June 2017 and July 2005. Saturday is forecast to have similar readings for the city.

Had a squall move thru OK last night, was strong.  Little hail storm at the end, a few funnels that didn't touch down.

Everybody is trippin' about it.  "How bout that storm last night, eh!?!?  That's Oklahoma for yerz!"

I'm sorry, I'll NEVER get over how ignorant these bammas are about their sorry ass storms that happen once every 3 lifetimes.  I just went along with it today, but I really should've said..."yeah, meanwhile in the southeastern part of the country..."

2 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Not nice

Stupid.  

But when I saw that my first thought was 69 degrees?  Where?  Apparently that's Nyack, NY.  Seeing that it's supposed to be in the 90s here for most of this week, Who the **** cares about him and his 70 degree weather?