Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

Weather whiplash: A series of storms could ease California drought, but also unleash flood hazards

Imagine a long river of water vapor in the sky coming into the West Coast. It is how Marty Ralph, the director of the Center for Western Weather and Water Extremes at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in San Diego, described the storm event threatening California at the moment.

The storms are called "atmospheric rivers," which are narrow bands of concentrated moisture in the atmosphere emerging from the warm waters of the Pacific Ocean, cruising more than two miles above the sea. An average atmospheric river transports more than 20 times the water the Mississippi River does, as vapor.

Throughout the weekend and into next week, parts of the West Coast will go from extreme drought to facing a series of bomb cyclones and an associated atmospheric river. The weather whiplash may unleash rains, flash floods, debris flows, and potential hurricane-force winds, particularly in the Pacific Northwest and Northern California.

Click on the link for the full article

Somehow it missed me.  Usually whatever hits you goes right over my head. This year they’re almost all going around me to the north then crushing everyone between me and dc. 

I don’t mind. It’s weird though.

Also very possible I spoke too soon

Forecasters predict one of the biggest tidal flood events of the past two decades

Over 20 million people are under alerts for coastal flooding, including residents of Baltimore and Washington, DC, as a large and powerful low pressure system shifts from the central US toward the Northeast.

"Right now we're expecting it to be one of the worst tidal flooding events that we've had in the past 10 or 20 years for a lot of locations in the Chesapeake Bay watershed," Chris Strong, the warning coordination meteorologist at the National Weather Service (NWS) in Sterling, Virginia, tells CNN Weather. "The biggest impact that we're expecting here in the Baltimore/Washington area and along the Chesapeake Bay is the tidal flooding."

Flooding is expected to peak on Friday and linger through Saturday. During this time, two to four feet of coastal flooding is likely.

The last time conditions were this bad was during Hurricane Isabel in 2003.

211028150025-weather-flooding-midatlanti

Just now, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

That squall line that went from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico this past week tho.  Slow as a turtle, winds were gusting to 50 mph for a good 3 days.  Now I'm sitting pretty at 68 and sunny with a slight breeze...but it looks like temps drop below that for good until March.

Yeah, I think I missed the one week of fall to eat dinner on the deck. :ols:. We're gonna have lows in the 30s next week.  It's only like 55 now,  almost looks like snow in the air, but it's just a drizzly, dreary mess. 

• Thumb down 1

3 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Yeah, I think I missed the one week of fall to eat dinner on the deck. :ols:. We're gonna have lows in the 30s next week.  It's only like 55 now,  almost looks like snow in the air, but it's just a drizzly, dreary mess. 

Yeah, the drizzle was constant...which never happens here.  I swear that's the longest span of constant "rain" we've had the whole time I've lived here.  3 days.  😂

• 2 weeks later...

Vancouver is now completely cut off from the rest of Canada by road

There is currently no way to drive between Vancouver and the rest of Canada.

The Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley are now completely cut off from the rest of British Columbia and the country by road.

Flooding and mudslides had closed most routes between the coast and BC Interior over the past 24 hours, but the back route through Whistler on Hwy 99 remained open this morning.

That changed shortly after 11 am, when DriveBC reported that a mudslide 42 kilometres south of Lillooet had shut down Hwy 99 as well.

The only way to drive between the coast and the rest of Canada at this time is through the United States.

However, Washington is also seeing highway closures due to the inclement weather and residents would need a COVID-19 test to re-enter Canada.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Atmospheric rivers to blast British Columbia yet again with more flooding

It’s been barely a week since devastating flooding accompanied an atmospheric river that lashed parts of British Columbia, isolating the city of Vancouver as landslides and washouts made roadways impassible. The deluge dumped double-digit rain totals in southwestern Canada, and the resulting flooding displaced thousands of people.

Severe flooding also occurred in northwest Washington state, with heavy rainfall contributing to one-month totals of up to 40 inches in the mountains.

Now, another atmospheric river is set to unleash additional heavy rains and flooding in the already-waterlogged area starting Wednesday, preceding a second event that will begin late Friday and continue into the weekend.

The next downpours are expected to arrive with some roads in British Columbia still closed and just as some displaced residents return home.

Tyler Hamilton, a meteorologist for the Weather Network, a cable weather channel in Canada, called computer model precipitation forecasts for British Columbia “disconcerting,” writing in a tweet that incoming moisture would solidify “one of the wettest Novembers in recorded history.”

Predicted precipitation in Washington state is likely to be less intense but still potentially problematic.

More than 5 million people should prepare for possible nocturnal tornadoes Friday

The calendar may be nearing winter, but the weather is set to serve up severe thunderstorms capable of producing several tornadoes on Friday and into the overnight hours, for more than 25 million people from Texas to Ohio.

"Confidence has increased in a more favorable corridor for organized severe thunderstorms Friday night into early Saturday morning from roughly the vicinity of the MS River in eastern Arkansas and northern Mississippi northward into parts of the lower Ohio Valley," the Storm Prediction Center (SPC) said Thursday morning.

A level 3 out of 5 "enhanced risk" has been issued for the greater Memphis area, along with Nashville; Evansville, Indiana, and much of western Kentucky.

A level 2 out of 5 "slight risk" stretches farther out to include areas right along the Mississippi River as well as the Ohio River Valley. This includes Little Rock, Arkansas; Jackson, Mississippi; Shreveport, Louisiana; and Louisville, Kentucky.

211209085313-weather-severe-storms-south

21 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Bad things happened last night.

Workers killed after collapse at Amazon warehouse in Edwardsville

Officials are confirming 2 fatalities at the Amazon facility in Edwardsville following Friday night’s severe weather. Multiple people were trapped inside the facility after the storm damaged the building.

There is a search and recovery effort underway.

Officials are waiting to release the names of the victims but Clayton Cope’s mother is on the scene and said she learned her son didn’t survive. She said he was a maintenance worker at the facility.

Photos: Tornado damage around the St. Louis area

From the Washington Post this morning:

The “quad-state tornado” was unusually long-lasting and strong for the time of year, weather experts said. The twister, which ripped through Monette, Ark., and Mayfield, Ky., on Friday evening is likely to have carved out a 240-mile path, crossing into Missouri and Tennessee, as well. If the tornado remained on the ground without interruption, it will rank as the longest tornado track in U.S. history and the first to cross through four states.

In the quad-state tornado’s path, weather radar detected debris from a twister for over three straight hours, sometimes lofted over 30,000 feet into the sky.

Tornadoes strike at least six states, leaving trail of death and damage - The Washington Post