Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

Unconfirmed video?  I can confirm it is indeed a video.

Chinese army warns dam battered by storms could collapse

this-aerial-photo-taken-on-july-5-2021-s

This aerial photo taken on July 5, 2021 shows water being released from the Xiaolangdi Reservoir Dam in Luoyang in China's central Henan province, which has been hit by severe storms and torrential rain AFP/STR

The Chinese army warned that a stricken dam in the centre of the country "could collapse at any time" after being severely damaged in torrential storms that killed at least 12 people and brought the region to a standstill.

Weather authorities have issued the highest warning level for central Henan province as downpours caused widespread disruption and the evacuation of residents of flooded streets.

On Tuesday evening the regional unit of the People's Liberation Army warned that the relentless downpour had caused a 20m breach in the Yihetan dam in Luoyang - a city of around seven million people - with the risk that it "may collapse at any time."

The PLA's Central Theater Command said it had sent soldiers to carry out an emergency response including blasting and flood diversion.

Click on the link for the full article

11 hours ago, China said:

Unconfirmed video?  I can confirm it is indeed a video.

Chinese army warns dam battered by storms could collapse

this-aerial-photo-taken-on-july-5-2021-s

This aerial photo taken on July 5, 2021 shows water being released from the Xiaolangdi Reservoir Dam in Luoyang in China's central Henan province, which has been hit by severe storms and torrential rain AFP/STR

The Chinese army warned that a stricken dam in the centre of the country "could collapse at any time" after being severely damaged in torrential storms that killed at least 12 people and brought the region to a standstill.

Weather authorities have issued the highest warning level for central Henan province as downpours caused widespread disruption and the evacuation of residents of flooded streets.

On Tuesday evening the regional unit of the People's Liberation Army warned that the relentless downpour had caused a 20m breach in the Yihetan dam in Luoyang - a city of around seven million people - with the risk that it "may collapse at any time."

The PLA's Central Theater Command said it had sent soldiers to carry out an emergency response including blasting and flood diversion.

holy crap..... 

i had a huge cell move through my yard last week... took out 3 trees, including a 70 year old pine tree that was right next to my daughter's window, but thankfully fell the other direction (annihilating another tree, and falling a cross the road)

i finally got them cleared away. the first quotes were over $4k, but eventually dropped down to $800.   i have ANOTHER huge pine (bigger) right next to another bedroom.... first quotes to bring that down were $5000 :( 

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tropical storm watches issued for parts of Florida as Fred nears the US

Fred emerged from Hispaniola as a poorly organized tropical depression on Thursday morning. But, AccuWeather meteorologists say the system could eventually regain tropical-storm force — or even hurricane force — as it churns up the eastern Gulf of Mexico. Fred will threaten to make two U.S. landfalls, both of which could occur in Florida.

AccuWeather forecasters have rated Fred a 1 on the AccuWeather RealImpact Scale™ for the United States. Damaging winds and coastal flooding are both likely to result from Fred, but AccuWeather forecasters are most concerned by the threat of excessive rainfall and flooding that could ensue over the Florida Peninsula and if the storm slows down significantly over the southeastern U.S. as predicted.

hd19-12.jpg?w=632

Fred regains tropical storm status en route to Florida as Haiti braces for Grace

Tropical Storm Fred is anticipated to steadily strengthen as it tracks toward the Florida Panhandle on Sunday.

Meanwhile, another tropical storm, Grace, is tracking through the Caribbean toward Haiti, potentially affecting recovery efforts following a major 7.2-magnitude earthquake that struck Saturday.

On Sunday morning, Fred regained tropical storm status over the Gulf of Mexico, according to reports from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft. The storm had sustained winds of 40 mph and was 335 miles south-southeast of Pensacola, Florida.

A tropical storm warning has been issued for the coast of the Florida Panhandle from Navarre to the Wakulla-Jefferson county line ahead of Tropical Storm Fred. A tropical storm watch remains in effect for the coast of the Florida Panhandle from the Alabama-Florida border to Navarre along with inland areas of southern Alabama.

Massive Saharan Dust plume coming to Florida. Here’s what it means for hurricane season

The tropics remain active with Grace and Henri churning in the Caribbean and Atlantic respectively. A late-season ejection of dust from the Sahara Desert, however, could help to calm the tropics down in the short term.

The dust will spread west into the Caribbean and southwest Atlantic along a strong area of high pressure, the same weather feature that pushed Grace south, keeping it away from Florida. This could be the most significant plume of dust of the season for Florida and the southwest Atlantic.

You may notice the dust’s presence by more vibrant sunrises and sunsets when it arrives early next week. The most prolific round of dust looks to arrive late Tuesday into Wednesday. The dust hangs out thousands of feet in the air, but its arrival may also bring poor air quality for extremely sensitive groups and enhanced allergy symptoms.

20212320250_GOES16-ABI-taw-AirMass-900x5

New England Is Facing Its 1st Direct Hurricane Landfall In 30 Years

The National Hurricane Center has issued a rare hurricane watch for parts of New England, warning that Tropical Storm Henri will likely develop into a hurricane before making landfall on the northeastern U.S. coast this weekend.

"If Henri strikes southeast New England as a hurricane this weekend, it will be the first direct hurricane landfall since Bob in 1991," National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration spokesman Chris Vaccaro told NPR.

hurricane-henri-us-forecast-map-1587dc36

Tennessee flooding leaves at least 22 dead and dozens missing

Severe flooding in parts of middle Tennessee has left at least 22 people dead and dozens unaccounted for, local authorities said on Sunday.

The latest: A search-and-rescue effort remains underway, with authorities conducting door-to-door checks in some of the most affected areas of Humphreys County, per the New York Times. Officials announced an 8 p.m. curfew in Waverly, the county seat.

“Things are moving fast and we are finding people left and right,” Rob Edwards, the chief deputy of the Humphreys County Sheriff’s Office, said in an email to the New York Times on Sunday. Humphreys County is located about 72 miles west of Nashville.

"This is the most devastating disaster that we’ve every experienced in this area," Waverly Mayor Buddy Frazier told WKRN, per the Washington Post.

The water from the Saturday's flooding has started to recede in some areas, per the Post.

The city of McEwen "likely broke the all-time 24 hour rainfall record for the state" on Saturday night, according to the National Weather Service.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That was pretty wild.  Tornados spinning up out of nowhere.  One dropped down about 20 miles southwest of me before dissipating about 10 miles before it would've been a direct hit.  Another hit a town just to the east of me, and now it seems to have reformed quite a ways to the northeast.  The town to the east had its high school hit.  I was watching the news as the storm chaser got hit.  For a few seconds, I thought I was about to witness a tragedy.  Truck looked like it was going to get tossed or get hit with dangerous debris.  I'll try to find the video.

Here it is:

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

So now they're going to go from wildfires to mudslides...

Level 5 atmospheric river to unleash flooding across drought-stricken California

After nearly a year without rain, a series of potent Pacific storms are directed at Northern California this week, potentially bringing as much as a foot of rainfall and up to three feet of snow in the Sierra Nevada.

Supercharged by a classic atmospheric river pattern, the storms could lead to flash floods and dangerous debris flows in a wide swath of the region already devastated by recent wildfires.

With each successive storm, the moisture potential increases, peaking with possibly a rare category 5 atmospheric river event on Sunday.

211020135011-weather-atmopsheric-river-f