Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

Ehh. While Order to Disperse is a valid law, does this really pass muster in terms of the necessity for such an order? The key word there is "reasonably". Did the officer have a good reason to believe that a group of teenagers in bathing suits was a physical threat to himself or the public (though I do love that they threw "annoyance" in there as a catch all...pretty stupid)? This isn't some mob or riot; its a group of kids at a pool party and there was a fight.

The other officers clearly didn't think it was necessary as they were just standing around talking to people calmly. I think the only reason he was yelling at people to get out of there is he was pissed and frustrated and he let his emotions go (as evidenced by him standing around and cursing at kids...top notch professionalism there) and wanted to lash out.

the order to disperse was given long before that, and the fact 12 cops were called to the scene means they are clearly of a different opinion.

you cannot separate the larger issue being addressed by the cops to focus on the individual actions ....which is the reason for disperse orders.

Ehh. While Order to Disperse is a valid law, does this really pass muster in terms of the necessity for such an order? The key word there is "reasonably". Did the officer have a good reason to believe that a group of teenagers in bathing suits was a physical threat to himself or the public (though I do love that they threw "annoyance" in there as a catch all...pretty stupid)? This isn't some mob or riot; its a group of kids at a pool party and there was a fight.

I guess you missed the link twa posted, earlier, which says that a riot is defined as two or more people disturbing the peace. 

Not that maybe we've written some laws that are way too broad, or anything. 

And I think we recently had a poster refer to this as "an angry mob trying to form". 

the order to disperse was given long before that, and the fact 12 cops were called to the scene means they are clearly of a different opinion.

you cannot separate the larger issue being addressed by the cops to focus on the individual actions ....which is the reason for disperse orders.

But the individual actions are what this whole thing is about. I didn't see any of the other officers running around screaming and cursing at the kids, and the other officer they show in the beginning of the video clearly didn't feel threatened or feel that this was a dangerous situation. He was simply talking calmly to the kids to try and figure out exactly what happened. The "larger issue" doesn't seem to have much bearing on this guy's actions as he became unhinged and pretty much went loose cannon.

Personally, I would probably have left the scene because I'd be legitimately scared that the officer would end up seriously hurting someone in his rage.

Edited by mistertim

But the individual actions are what this whole thing is about. I didn't see any of the other officers running around screaming and cursing at the kids, and the other officer they show in the beginning of the video clearly didn't feel threatened or feel that this was a dangerous situation. He was simply talking calmly to the kids to try and figure out exactly what happened. The "larger issue" doesn't seem to have much bearing on this guy's actions as he became unhinged and pretty much went loose cannon.

Personally, I would probably have left the scene because I'd be legitimately scared that the officer would end up seriously hurting someone in his rage.

several of ya'll keep saying not threatening or dangerous.....it doesn't matter

orders to disperse are given to restore order and give space to do so.....it is not to begin negotiations

those being orderly did not seem to have a problem with the police now did they?

the one cop behaving unprofessionally excuses none of the excesses of the crowd.

this is why we can't have nice things :)  

Keep in mind, if you own a swimming pool or live in a community with a non-public pool then you are probably a racist:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/06/08/how-the-rise-of-gated-spaces-like-swimming-pools-can-quietly-perpetuate-racial-tension/?hpid=z2

damn.  My black neighbor to the left of me and the Asian couple across the street probably don't even realize they are racists!  I should probably tell them.

Driver suing NYC after cops admit on video they pulled him over for no reason.

A 26-year-old New York City man says he plans to sue the city for unlawful arrest after NYPD officers pulled him over in the Bronx and refused to give him any reason for the stop. Ben Farias was ordered out of the car, but he left his phone in the cupholder to record the search. The video includes one cop admitting “I don’t know why we pulled him over.”

“Just put ‘cocaine test,’” the other says, “That’s what you put.”

“That’s how you write the summons,” says the first, laughing.

All the cops found was a cookie—you can hear them mention it in the video—and the New York Daily News reports they ultimately arrested Farias for driving with an expired license, even though he showed them paperwork proving his license was good.

During the arrest, Farias says, the officers cuffed him so tightly that his wrist was fractured.

When it came time to give an official reason that they stopped Farias in the first place, the officers went with “driving with an obstructed windshield,” because he had a Christmas tree air freshener dangling from his mirror.

http://gawker.com/driver-sues-after-catching-cops-admitting-they-stopped-1709917276

http://gothamist.com/2015/05/06/video_apparently_captures_cops_deta.php

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1

Isn't the easiest solution to all of this is to just teach people to be respectful and cooperative with police?  Use your manners and do what they say.  Mouthing off, threatening, running away from, and attacking the police doesn't seem to end up well sometimes. 

I guess the other way do to it is to install cameras everywhere, have better written laws, train our police more, punish our police when they snap... That way people can use their rights to be mouthy and uncooperative. 

Isn't the easiest solution to all of this is to just teach people to be respectful and cooperative with police?  Use your manners and do what they say. 

That didn't help the NYC driver two posts above.

Edited by Dan T.

If people were robots you could teach them all kinds of neat tricks.  Robots don't have a day when they've been all night with a sick kid, or a boss who's riding their ass for nonsense or any other irritants which routinely make analog people cranky and unable to reign in their irritation.  Cops are the same when they're off duty (as a property tax guy I dealt with a few) so they should be taught to be a little more understanding and that they should work for people not against them.

Not to suggest that cooperative and polite isn't the best course of action, it is.  Just we're all human.

Edited by KAOSkins

Isn't the easiest solution to all of this is to just teach people to be respectful and cooperative with police? Use your manners and do what they say. Mouthing off, threatening, running away from, and attacking the police doesn't seem to end up well sometimes.

I guess the other way do to it is to install cameras everywhere, have better written laws, train our police more, punish our police when they snap... That way people can use their rights to be mouthy and uncooperative.

This post is outrageous.

By the same logic, you could say that the easiest thing to do in communist Russia was to submit to Stalin's authority. That way you wouldn't have to go to the gulag camps. Otherwise you'd have to try to reform the system, which would just be too hard.

But who cares about our rights anyway?

Ridiculous. The way people are submissively going along with the police state in this country is deeply troubling to me.

We have the largest per capita prison population, a growing surveillance state, everyday incidents of police brutality, militarized police, and hordes of people actually think that is a good thing.

Whatever happened to liberty and justice for all?

Edited by s0crates
  • Like 5

I thought I was a redneck if the pool was being held up by tires or made from a rusted out chevy...or something like that

ya don't use the lawn ornaments for pool supports ya heathen.

This post is outrageous.

By the same logic, you could say that the easiest thing to do in communist Russia was to submit to Stalin's authority. That way you don't have to go to the gulags.

Who cares about our rights anyway?

Ridiculous.

if you are polite and cooperative ..... and film them, it pays better. :)

Giving Stalin a excuse is a bad choice.

Ya can also use your vote and influence to limit their power.

• Like 1

Anyone else notice how short that officer is too?  Napolean complex?  Talking about the McKinney cop.

That NYC traffic stop is absolutely ridiculous and those cops need to be fired immediately.

Edited by abdcskins

Isn't the easiest solution to all of this is to just teach people to be respectful and cooperative with police?  Use your manners and do what they say.  Mouthing off, threatening, running away from, and attacking the police doesn't seem to end up well sometimes. 

You can be respectful and polite while still asserting your rights when you're interacting with police. I don't see why you apparently see it as some zero sum game.

• Like 3

the equally easy (and important) component to this solution is for police officers to be polite and professional with the people that they interact with.  no?