Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

He was pretty much a staple on Lavar and Chad. Always had something to go on a few minute rant about. I do remember that.

I haven't listened to 980 in a long while. Does Ol Reverend Redskin still call at all? Lol Used to love that dude. Ended every call screaming "HAIL TO DA REDSKIIIINNS!! HAIL TO DA REDSKINS!!!"

He was pretty much a staple on Lavar and Chad.

I listened to some of Chad Dukes yesterday on my way home. He is so, so much better without Lavar, and it isn't even funny. He talked briefly about Haynesworth--and made a great point about why he would bring this up? He did't have the ammunition in the fight.

He started a segment on Redskins haters. There were two primary ones: Fatty McFat**** and McNabb (a different Fatty McFat****). One person said Carriker--which Dukes shot down pretty well. It was much better then the "How Long Can I Listen to Their Show Before They Say Something Stupid" Game I used to play with that show.

So this one is for ix, who just loves callers.

Was listening to the Junkies on my way in this morning and they were taking calls. This is pretty much word for word what this guy said:

"Kirk Cousins prepares for every football game like it's a football game."

What the hell does that mean? I guess I'm glad he's not preparing for football games like they're baseball games. That would be weird.

Was listening to the Junkies on my way in this morning and they were taking calls. This is pretty much word for word what this guy said:

What the hell does that mean? I guess I'm glad he's not preparing for football games like they're baseball games. That would be weird.

Lol There were times I wish Griff would've done that so he'd finally start sliding every now and then.

There were a few callers on the Junkies this morning predicting we were gonna get destroyed on Sunday. Primary reasoning being the schedule like usual. An interesting rebuttal that EB had, that no one really had much of a response for was the fact that 3/4 of the wins we had last year were against +.500 teams. I hadn't really thought about that.

Lol There were times I wish Griff would've done that so he'd finally start sliding every now and then.

There were a few callers on the Junkies this morning predicting we were gonna get destroyed on Sunday. Primary reasoning being the schedule like usual. An interesting rebuttal that EB had, that no one really had much of a response for was the fact that 3/4 of the wins we had last year were against +.500 teams. I hadn't really thought about that.

Random question but isn't only one of the Junkies actually a Redskins fan despite all of them being from PG County? I look forward to them talking about cutting grass and other mundane crap besides sports once the football season is over.

• Like 1

I don't think beating good teams or bad teams really matters. You can only play the teams on your schedule. Sure, we were 0-3 against teams with winning records, but look who we lost to. Panthers (15-1), Patriots (12-4), and Jets (10-6). Those games were also all on the road, and those teams were a combined 20-4 at home. Also, take into account there were only 12 teams with winning records in the entire league. 

• Like 1

Phil Simms from CBS calling in...

Anyone who knows how bad Phil Simms is ought to follow @philsimmsquotes on twitter..  this guy tweets all the idiotic things Phil says during the games. Fun stuff

~Bang

• Like 3

Phil Simms from CBS calling in...

Anyone who knows how bad Phil Simms is ought to follow @philsimmsquotes on twitter.. this guy tweets all the idiotic things Phil says during the games. Fun stuff

~Bang

This site is a must during CBS games. You just watch all the hilarity ensue.

Phil Simms Quotes @philsimmsquotes 19 Dec 2015

"It's a fumble. That was my first thought when I saw the replay."

Call stands.

"Yup he was down. You can see it." #analysis #NYJvsDAL

:lol:

oh crap i'm not doing anything today now.

Phil Simms Quotes @philsimmsquotes 10 Dec 2015

"Your first job on defense is not to give up a touchdown." — Things are getting bad late. #analysis #MINvsAZ

36 retweets 66 likes

"Well, the situation gets not pressuring number 22." ??? #MINvsAZ

"Take your timeouts and stop the clock. In other words, if you don't take those timeouts, time goes off the clock." #analysis #MINvsAZ

i'm so happy i have something to show my wife to back up my claims over the last few years that Simms is awful.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

Random question but isn't only one of the Junkies actually a Redskins fan despite all of them being from PG County? I look forward to them talking about cutting grass and other mundane crap besides sports once the football season is over.

Pretty much.

EB is the only true skins fan. Cakes is basically part time Raiders fan, part time skins fan. JP grew up a Colts fan, doesn't really appear to be a fan of anyone in particular. A few years ago, EB was busting on him cuz he didn't really watch Colts games but said he was a Colts fan.

And lurch is, of course, a niners fan.

• Like 1

Pretty much.

EB is the only true skins fan. Cakes is basically part time Raiders fan, part time skins fan. JP grew up a Colts fan, doesn't really appear to be a fan of anyone in particular. A few years ago, EB was busting on him cuz he didn't really watch Colts games but said he was a Colts fan.

And lurch is, of course, a niners fan.

I was actually under the impression that JP was an Iggles fan. But he has talked about the Colts, and Manning in particular on numerous occasions.

Grant and Danny still remains as my favorite local show.

grant and danny are, at times, dumb dumbs but they have a chemistry that works for people who like 'guy talk radio' even though they do mostly sports.

reminds me of the big o and dukes show - not the content, obviously, but the chemistry between two hosts.

something that Duke's show is missing. as improved as it is with lavar gone, he's lacking a partner to balance him and (for me) he needs that.

grant and danny are, at times, dumb dumbs but they have a chemistry that works for people who like 'guy talk radio' even though they do mostly sports.

reminds me of the big o and dukes show - not the content, obviously, but the chemistry between two hosts.

something that Duke's show is missing. as improved as it is with lavar gone, he's lacking a partner to balance him and (for me) he needs that.

I think I just relate to those two more than the others. I'm pushing 30, love video games, love cooking and food, and tend to take a perspective on the local teams that falls somewhere in between Danny's "doom and gloom" battered fan syndrome and Grant's analytical approach. I like the Junkies, but I find myself just shaking my head sometimes at the old fogey perspective they take sometimes and in particular EB's "get off my lawn" type rants about things he doesn't understand. There are a lot of times where I'm listening to Chad and doing mental slow claps because we're right on the same page. But other times he's just meh. I will say though that I absolutely love that Chris Russell is back. I personally really enjoy listening to him talk Redskins.

oh god i cannot stand chris russell lol

Lol I feel bad for you then, since he's on seemingly every time slot that isn't the standard three daytime shows.

I can understand why he might be everyone's cup of tea though. I just enjoy the way his perspective comes from having spent so much time with and around the franchise. Just my own opinion though. To each their own.

well, i don't listen to 106.7 the fan.

so in a way, i agree with you. i couldn't be happier he's back there - because he's off 980 and i don't listen to him any longer :)

the new guy at 980, craig hoffman, is pretty good. so far at least.

Chris Russell to Hoffman is like going from 4 wins to 9 wins in a year. it's that much of a difference.

WJFK hiring him was/is a joke. His inside source isn't with the team anything. Even when he was working for 980, he kept saying stuff like Nick Williams would make the team. They wouldn't go near D-Jax, etc etc. Well, saying it in broken incomplete sentences that were like ice picks in your ears. 

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants
  • Like 3

I'm sure Russell is a nice guy, and on the one hand I cheered when 980 didn't renew his contract but also felt bad because dude does have a family.

But I just cannot stand the way he does news. It's 90% about him, 10% about the news. I do not you to come up with some bull**** about how you got the story, I just want the story... We get it, you're a beat reporter, you spend all your time trying to convince a bunch of people to have some reason to give you information they shouldn't.

Hoffman isn't perfect, but it's obvious he spends a lot of time with Cooley looking at film and picking his brain and he's gotten better since joining 980. He gives you the information and gets out of the way.

And I bet he'd actually be solid to listen to on a show. If he ever gets the chance.

Well with The Fan he's not the beat reporter. That's McNally. Russell actually does his own shows on The Fan. And being that they're pretty good friends from over the years, having him do shows with GP is pretty cool. Like I said, to each their own. I like him.

I switch over to 980 every now and then but mostly listen to The Fan. I love having Riggo back on the radio.

speaking on the radio isn't easy. My Dad has done it for news (tv/radio) for decades. Speaking cleanly and clearly while enunciating your words does take practice. 

That's why sometimes it kills me listening to former athletes or coaches or writers try to do it. The uh's and ummm's are filler words "like" are just brutal.

A lot of people don't like Czabe's morning show. But that is what I love about it. 3 guys who all have backgrounds in radio. They can talk and talk without fumbling over themselves.

Russell has been doing this long enough that he should have fixed those speaking errors that make him sound like an newbie. If he's that good, he should go get training on how to speak. A lot of people put in the time and effort to do it right. I think listeners and sponsors deserve that much.

So I'm sure you're a huge fan of listening to Santana Moss say "At the end of the day..." about 100 times every time he comes on?

In fairness, Santana has never really been prevalent in the media even when he was lighting it up for us as a player. It would make sense that he's not very good at it.

Chris on the other hand, is just entirely too long winded and has to explain everything to the nth degree.

What he should say:

One of my buddies at the park led me to believe Matt Jones won't play on Sunday.

What he actually says:

Well, I was on Twitter and saw someone indicate that Jones most likely won't play, so I reached out to one of my sources *goofy giggle* and they said Jones didn't practice but Chris Thompsons toe is hurt, but then again they didn't say Jones wouldn't play, just that he didn't practice so history says he probably won't play but that's not definitive....