Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WaPo : Republican letter to Iran deepens White House ire

mistertim

Love how the party who went nuts over the Dixie Chicks criticizing W Bush apparently think its hunky dory to actively undermine a sitting US President's ongoing treaty talks with a foreign nation to stop them from getting nuclear weapons. Absolutely no cognitive dissonance there.

I was very pissed about this yesterday but I'm enjoying it now. The country is calling the majority of the GoP conference in the senate and some presidential hopefuls traitors and now their supporters are having to defend them in the court of public opinion against enraged accusations of treason. This was just horrendously bad politics on their part. Seriously, how stupid can they be? They managed to make ****ing Iran more reasonable and sympathetic! Is there seriously no one in the party to step up and try and stop this trainwreck before it leaves the station?

All that said, it's not lost on me how bad it is for the country that one party in a two party system is such a debacle.

Spin or reality?

Is it 97% of actual climate scientists or NOT?  :P

Ya'll sound like friggin telemarketers 

It's a silly semantics game you're playing. There are multiple independent studies that point to the same conclusion.

http://tigger.uic.edu/~pdoran/012009_Doran_final.pdf

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/306/5702/1686.full

But of course, University of Free Republic knows more than every major scientific organization in the US. So please continue.

One Congresswoman privately meeting with a foreign dictator that the then President wanted to isolate is the same thing as 47 Senators signing a letter undermining the President's attempt to achieve additional global security?

I like John S. but the equivalency really isn't the same to me.

Maybe I'm missing something.

One Congresswoman privately meeting with a foreign dictator that the then President wanted to isolate is the same thing as 47 Senators signing a letter undermining the President's attempt to achieve additional global security?

I like John S. but the equivalency really isn't the same to me.

Maybe I'm missing something.

I can see it on the basis that it undermined the intent of the sitting President's foreign policy. 

I agree with TEG, the two aren't the same. Had a senator gone to Iran I wouldn't have cared. Had they invited Iran to speak to the senate, same thing, I wouldn't care. They argued and signed their names to a document saying that agreements reached with US presidents are essentially temporary and worthless.

Yes, I can see that. But was it a unified movement of the entire (or almost entire) D members in the House?

Unknown, I guess.

In the grander scheme of things, Pelosi's move was really quite irrelevant and that's where the equivalency falls short for me. 

This move, especially in light that Republicans themselves don't really have a plan for dealing with Iran, is partisan hackery at its best but also puts the country in a really bad diplomatic position.

Explain it to every major scientific organization in the US, who are all apparently playing word games.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

His views are on par with 911 conspiracy theorists. "Its all a giant government plot to control you and take away your freedumb"

Freedumb = the right to be stupid.

they cannot be trusted if they take funds from .......  :lol:

If there is an agreement that once they take the funds the will only accept certain outcomes, you'd have a point.  Science doesn't work like that and too many people believe that it does. Then there are the cynics that just don't want their industry impinged upon and don't care what it does, within certain limits, ecologically.

Politicians take funds with the explicit understanding that they will back legislation and a particular outcome.  Scientists don't.  Not most of them anyway.  And it's pretty easy to tell when they have.  You see the difference right?

If there is an agreement that once they take the funds the will only accept certain outcomes, you'd have a point. Science doesn't work like that and too many people believe that it does. Then there are the cynics that just don't want their industry impinged upon and don't care what it does, within certain limits, ecologically.

Politicians take funds with the explicit understanding that they will back legislation and a particular outcome. Scientists don't. Not most of them anyway. And it's pretty easy to tell when they have. You see the difference right?

He does. It's just years of denial he will have to admit to being pointless. So now he's backed himself into calling it a worldwide scientific conspiracy. Alex Jones would be proud.

Boy, what the Republicans did must be really indefensible. Once again, their defenders have managed to pivot the topic almost completely.

sure wasn't a defender that opened that door  :)

Politicians take funds with the explicit understanding that they will back legislation and a particular outcome.  Scientists don't.  Not most of them anyway.  And it's pretty easy to tell when they have.  You see the difference right?

I certainly do, which is why I wish transparency.

science does not determine policy though, tis politicians

Archived