Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WaPo : Republican letter to Iran deepens White House ire

mistertim

What was the McCain song from his election loss year? Bomb Iran? Bomb Bomb Iran?

Instead we bombed Libya.....and told no boots on the ground, and Syria.....and .....

guess long as ya add no boots it's good

• 4 weeks later...

Tom Cotton: Bombing Iran Would Take “Several Days,” Be Nothing Like Iraq War

Sen. Tom Cotton says bombing Iran’s nuclear facilities would take several days and be nothing like Iraq War.
The Arkansas Republican, who earlier this year upset Democrats and the White House by sending a letter warning the Iranian government to think twice about entering into a deal on its nuclear program with President Obama, said President Obama offered a “false choice” by saying it was his deal with Iran or war.
“This president has a bad habit of accusing other people of making false choices, but he presented the ultimate false choice last week when he said it’s either this deal or war,” the Arkansas Republican said on Family Research Council’s Washington Watch radio program Tuesday.
After six world powers and Iran agreed on a set of “parameters” for the negotiating of a final nuclear deal, President Obama said the United States would be blamed and the “path to conflict” would widen if Congress killed the Iran deal.
Cotton challenged Obama’s assertion that “no deal is better than a bad deal” with the words of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who said the alternative to a bad deal is “a better deal.”
Cotton said any military action against Iran would not be like the Iraq War and would instead be similar to 1999’s Operation Desert Fox, a four-day bombing campaign against Iraq ordered by President Bill Clinton.
“Even if military action were required — and we certainly should have kept the credible threat of military force on the table throughout which always improves diplomacy — the president is trying to make you think it would be 150,000 heavy mechanized troops on the ground in the Middle East again as we saw in Iraq and that’s simply not the case,” Cotton said.

Link for more.

Didn't we hear that Iran was days away from completing nuclear weapons throughout the Bush administration?

Some say they already had them, the general consensus was a yr or less though.

all the pieces could be in place and unassembled...is that complete?

of course it the right people die that complicates it.

of course they can always import.

maybe removing the desire is best, if the desire exists (obvious to some it does)

Iran. The most overblown threat to our country

Very much so, but to our allies and interests is another matter.

If they were a real threat to the homeland they would be addressed much differently.

even NK is no real threat to us and we know they have nukes

I'll bite. Who's doing that?

The guys who are trying to negotiate the deal or the guys who are trying to scuttle the deal?

Actually I think it's a paraphrased movie quote. Die Hard? Bruce Willis in the air duct?

And I don't think anybody's TRYING to give Iran a bomb.

Although the Republicans absolutely are willing to RISK it, rather than allow Obama to accomplish something good.

After all, if Iran gets the bomb, they can blame Obama for THAT, too.

Iran. The most overblown threat to our country

I agree.

Interestingly, Iran hasn't invaded or attacked any country (outside the occasional border skirmish) in hundreds of years. It's odd that we think of them as aggressive and dangerous.

Edit: I'm no expert on Iran's history, so I'd welcome corrections here, but as far as I can tell Iran's last foreign invasion was to reclaim territory from Russia in 1803.

I agree that the threat from Iran is just latest in the never ending series of countries that the quivering GOP seems to be sure is going to attack any moment.

Didn't Iran invade Iraq during their war?

No . . . Iraq invaded Iran in that one.

I agree that the threat from Iran is just latest in the never ending series of countries that the quivering GOP seems to be sure is going to attack any moment.

Didn't Iran invade Iraq during their war?

Other way round.  That was Saddam at his most azzholish.

Archived