Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - Redskins free-agent updates: Stephen Paea on the way?

HapHaszard

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/15810/washington-redskins-free-agent-updates-stephen-paea-on-the-way

Here’s what’s going on with the Washington Redskins and free agency, based on numerous talks with people involved and other reports:

• The Redskins appear to have a deal in place with Chicago defensive lineman Stephen Paea, according to CSNChicago. I did talk to someone who raved about Paea and thinks it will be a good signing. It signaled more of a move to a one-gap system as well, based on Paea’s strengths. I’ll have more on him if/when he signs -- it sounds as if he’s been telling teammates he’ll sign with Washington (however, Eddie Royal once told people the same thing; he ended up in San Diego).
  •  
  • The Redskins remain in contact with strong safety Marcus Gilchrist, which shows solid interest in trying to sign him Tuesday. I also know the San Diego Chargers really want him back.

click on the link for more

So do you pronounce it Pie-ay-a, like the rice dish?

I know that basic stats are close to meaningless for a defensive tackle, but looking at Paea's numbers, 2014 seemed to be the best of his 4 year career.  He appeared in all 16 games. He had 33 total tackles, 10 more than in any previous season.  He had 6.0 sacks - pretty good for an inside guy -  with a previous high of 2.5.

He was a 2nd round pick by the Bears (53rd overall) in the 2011 draft out of Oregon State.

I love this pic of him:

9524186-standard.jpg

Plus, he was born in New Zealand.  How many NFL players were born in New Zealand?

What I know of him is pretty limited.  But it is that A. He was second or third last year in defensive pressures by a DT, right behind Suh.  B. PFF has him rated very highly, again, behind only Suh as the second best interior linemen in free agency

goofballs...lol

Paea, if it gets done, would be a good signing.  if for nothing other than his versatility along the defensive front 7.  he will most likely play DE & will give Hatcher a run for his money in terms of pass rushing ability (if not better).  his main question has been his ability vs the run, but in a 1-gap system his priority will penetration, which will mean that he will be focused on disruption & getting up the field & blowing up run plays before they happen instead of playing read-react & trying to hold your position.

this also means that we have a pretty versatile rotation going, & hopefully we get another 2 guys to bolster that rotation. 

at the price...this would certainly look to be a good signing...so long as it goes through.

Here is what Pro Football Focus had to say on ESPN Insider, not exactly a ringing endorsement:

Washington Redskins/Stephen Paea: C+

The never-ending rebuilding project to improve the Washington Redskins' defensive line takes yet another swing at a free agent, this time in the form of defensive lineman Stephen Paea.

On the surface this move appears to make a lot of sense, even if the Redskins haven't quite worked out exactly where he will play in their front. Paea played nose tackle in the Bears' four-man line last year and earned a very healthy plus-18.2 pass-rushing grade in our PFF ratings, thanks to five sacks and 47 total pressures.

Yet when you dig a little deeper you discover that almost half of that grade and 10 of those 47 pressures came in one game against the Buccaneers, while one game against the Lions provided the other half of his grade. In the 14 other games, Paea graded out almost exactly average at minus-0.2, though at least he still generated pressure.

Outside of 2014 Paea has a career grade of minus-12.8, so he will need to prove that his high points of 2014 were no fluke if he wants to justify the investment that Washington's management is making in him.

The positive news is that of all the positions from which Paea rushed the passer this season, he was the second-most efficient from the 0-technique (head up on the center as a true 3-4 nose tackle). From 57 rushes in this position he notched eight total pressures, a rate he bettered at only one other spot (4i-technique, inside shade of a tackle).

Here is what Pro Football Focus had to say on ESPN Insider, not exactly a ringing endorsement:

Washington Redskins/Stephen Paea: C+

The never-ending rebuilding project to improve the Washington Redskins' defensive line takes yet another swing at a free agent, this time in the form of defensive lineman Stephen Paea.

The positive news is that of all the positions from which Paea rushed the passer this season, he was the second-most efficient from the 0-technique (head up on the center as a true 3-4 nose tackle). From 57 rushes in this position he notched eight total pressures, a rate he bettered at only one other spot (4i-technique, inside shade of a tackle).

Interesting stat about where he rushed from. I imagine if he plays de (which is what it looks like) he'll move to nt on obvious passing downs. We look to be targeting a run stuffer at nt for the early downs. Could get the best of both worlds from it if used right.

Interesting stat about where he rushed from. I imagine if he plays de (which is what it looks like) he'll move to nt on obvious passing downs. We look to be targeting a run stuffer at nt for the early downs. Could get the best of both worlds from it if used right.

When we go nickle we typically go to a 4 man line with normally only two D'Line. They line up in 1 and 3 tech with the OLBs on the line in 7 or 9 tech. On passing downs Paea will probably line up at 1 tech most of the time and sometimes lide out to 3 just like he did with the Bears.

Good signing. Only 26 not a stupid contract and if he can stay healthy he can help our inside pass rush.

When we go nickle we typically go to a 4 man line with normally only two D'Line. They line up in 1 and 3 tech with the OLBs on the line in 7 or 9 tech. On passing downs Paea will probably line up at 1 tech most of the time and sometimes lide out to 3 just like he did with the Bears.

Good signing. Only 26 not a stupid contract and if he can stay healthy he can help our inside pass rush.

Is this still gonna be true with Barry? I suspect same with rumors of knighton which tells me we'll be rotating DT/NT pending scenerio with Paea and Knighton. Which is GREAT just to have rotation!

Is this still gonna be true with Barry? I suspect same with rumors of knighton which tells me we'll be rotating DT/NT pending scenerio with Paea and Knighton. Which is GREAT just to have rotation!

Well we dont know until we see I guess. It will depend who we sign/draft. I will say though that if we dont have a second OLB who is a better outside rusher than one of our base DE's we are in serious trouble.

Archived