Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Politico: GOP leaders to skip Selma event

Burgold

Ouch.

http://news.yahoo.com/colin-powell-still-sees-dark-vein-intolerance-gop-165315681.html

Colin Powell Still Sees 'Dark Vein' of Intolerance in GOP

Speaking on the day following the 50-year anniversary of "Bloody Sunday" in Selma, Alabama, the first African-American Secretary of State Colin Powell said he still sees a "dark vein" of intolerance in the Republican Party, echoing comments that he made in 2013.

"We've come a long way, but there's a long way to go. And we have to change the hearts and minds of Americans. And I see progress, especially in the younger generation," Powell added."I still see it. I still see it in the Republican Party and I still see it in other parts of our country. You don't have to be a Republican to be touched by this dark vein," Powell told ABC's George Stephanopoulos Sunday on "This Week."

Introspection such as Powell is employing is good, others understanding of it might need some work.

“In youth, it was a way I had,
To do my best to please.
And change, with every passing lad
To suit his theories.

But now I know the things I know
And do the things I do,
And if you do not like me so,
To hell, my love, with you.” 
― Dorothy Parker

Maybe if you soent less time being trapped in your own ignorance, you wouldn't see it as such a waste of time

Ignorance comes in many flavors, not my job to cure others of it.

George W. Bush was there, though I guess that doesn't count as GOP leadership these days.

I am starting to think that going through the sausage grinder of being president makes you a better person when you leave the presidency that you were when you started... i feel for ALL of them

I am starting to think that going through the sausage grinder of being president makes you a better person when you leave the presidency that you were when you started... i feel for ALL of them

oh there's no doubt. 

and your legacy is doomed from the start, even though your impact isn't really known for years.

Click to read the rest

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2015/03/08/3631184/selma-gop-lawmakers-explain-dont-support-john-lewis-bill-restore-voting-rights-act/

In Selma, GOP Lawmakers Explain Why They Don’t Support John Lewis’ Bill To Restore Voting Rights Act

On his way to the commemoration ceremony, Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH) said it’s been “powerful” to hear stories from Rep. John Lewis (D-GA), who helped lead the Selma march 50 years ago and was severely beaten by police. But when ThinkProgress asked if he supports Lewis’ voting rights bill, he replied, “I haven’t looked at it. Is there a Senate version?”

A Senate version was introduced several weeks ago, and currently has zero Republican sponsors.

Portman, who has advocated for cuts to Ohio’s early voting period and voted against the National Voter Registration Act of 1993, added before walking away: “This day is about more than just tweaks to the Voting Rights Act. This is about ensuring equal justice and learning from the lessons of the past.”

This year’s congressional delegation also included Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) — avocal supporter of voter ID laws in South Carolina — and Rep. Tom Emmer (R-MN), who has tried to pass laws to require proof of citizenship for voting, a policy found to disenfranchise eligible voters in other states.

While walking to the VIP section of the Selma anniversary event, Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) said of Lewis’ bill: “I haven’t studied it sufficiently to comment on it.” And while Lewis, President Obama and others emphasized Saturday how far the country still has to go to eradicate racism and voter suppression, Sessions told ThinkProgress: “I think we’ve had so much improved voting rights in Alabama that the Court was probably correct [to strike down part of the Voting Rights Act].”

Why do ya'll want to restore the inequality part of the VRA that SCOTUS threw out?

Ya'll afraid to live under the same law?

That's the problem. It's not the same law. Each state has different laws. Some more restrictive than others. When states have passed 141 bills over four years to change voting laws to make it harder for vote (and the majority of these laws have proven to impact minority voters more then there is a problem.) Besides, to put it bluntly these laws have been passed with malice. Study after study, by conservative think tanks, liberal ones, and academics have shown that there is no significant voter fraud problem in the United States and so the only real reason to pass these laws to try to give one group an advantage during an election.

To your argument, it would be far better if we did live under the same law.  Separate, but not equal was decided to be unfair a long time ago.

That's the problem. It's not the same law.

the federal election and civil rights law are the same nationwide ....now

Why the need to change that to unequal?....is it because ya are afraid to prove your case?

No, it's because the states that had made improvements after being forced to do so by the VRA promptly enacted laws to reduce minority voting after the VRA was neutered by SCOTUS. Clearly, they weren't deserving of the increase in the level of trust they were given. So sorry but that case has already been made almost before the ink was dry on the  decision.

prove it in court just like it must be done elsewhere.

assuming a crime by reason of ancestors is a poor path for those preaching equality.

especially amusing from someone that forefathers owned slaves

No, it's because the states that had made improvements after being forced to do so by the VRA promptly enacted laws to reduce minority voting after the VRA was neutered by SCOTUS. Clearly, they weren't deserving of the increase in the level of trust they were given. So sorry but that case has already been made almost before the ink was dry on the  decision.

Actually, I think you've got your chronology incorrect. 

First they passed their voter disenfranchisement law. 

Then the VRA got in their way. 

Then they got it thrown out.  (By claiming that it wasn't stopping anything.) 

----------

However, twa does actually have a valid point, kinda lurking behind the snarky comments.  (It happens, occasionally.) 

Recent history makes it pretty clear that minority disenfranchisement isn't just a southern problem.  (It's a Republican problem.)  It's not just Georgia and Arkansas disenfranchising minorities, any more.  It's Pennsylvania and Ohio, too. 

The VRA really needs to apply everywhere.  All changes to voting laws which have the effect of disenfranchising minorities should be required to be subject to a higher level of scrutiny, and in advance of the law's taking effect. 

Archived