Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Politico: GOP leaders to skip Selma event

Burgold

If you admit to being woefully ignorant, why not refrain from commenting?

Because at its core, this seems to be an attack on the GOP because they are racially insensitive. While I agree that the GOP is racially insensitive, as someone who definitely doesn't lean right politically I don't understand why the GOP would be attacked for skipping the event (because I have no knowledge of its ramifications).

I am growing tired of the need to be outraged about pretty much everything.

Or maybe I have this all wrong and the GOP isn't being attacked for skipping it. In which case, my apologies.

Because at its core, this seems to be an attack on the GOP because they are racially insensitive. While I agree that the GOP is racially insensitive, as someone who definitely doesn't lean right politically I don't understand why the GOP would be attacked for skipping the event (because I have no knowledge of its ramifications).

I am growing tired of the need to be outraged about pretty much everything.

Or maybe I have this all wrong and the GOP isn't being attacked for skipping it. In which case, my apologies.

Again though, you formulated this opinion with literally zero knowledge of the significance of this event and appear to be staunchly defending your right to comment freely on a topic you know nothing about.

Again though, you formulated this opinion with literally zero knowledge of the significance of this event and appear to be staunchly defending your right to comment freely on a topic you know nothing about.

... and this is why I am so apathetic towards politics.

I hate these games.

I don't even know Selma. A movie about some influential black guy?

I'm out of the loop. MLK involved somehow? I've never even bothered to research it.

Hold up. What? I don't care who in the GOP attends or not. I agree - that is silly debate to score points.

But you really have not even heard of the Selma March? Like, at all? Where did you go HS? Someone needs to fire your US History teacher. Lol.

Hold up. What? I don't care who in the GOP attends or not. I agree - that is silly debate to score points.

But you really have not even heard of the Selma March? Like, at all? Where did you go HS? Someone needs to fire your US History teacher. Lol.

High school was a long time ago. It is information I've lost or I never learned. Either way, I'm ignorant to it. Doesn't make me feel special at all.

High school was a long time ago. It is information I've lost or I never learned. Either way, I'm ignorant to it. Doesn't make me feel special at all.

And this is why it's a little shameful that the GOP leadership doesn't stand at events like this. Events and meanings are too easily lost and at a team when what was won is being threatened again (by the GOP ironically) it is good to remember and important for Republicans to explain their position on how things have evolved to a point where protections aren't needed.

Some influential black guy :doh:

One of the greatest and most important figures of the 20th century, you meant.

I wouldn't have gone either.

Memorials are not celebrations to me.

Most memorials should be private to me also.

Several other reasons also, but those are the main two.

I'd argue that the passage of the Voting Rights Act is worthy of celebration, but beyond that. You aren't a politician and so if you don't want to go to a Memorial Day event or a Veterans Day event or a Civil Rights anniversary your absence isn't particularly resonant.  When over the past four years 295 bills restricting voting rights have been introduced and many of them passed (141)... the issue becomes more than just symbolic.  Between gerrymandering and the new voting laws democracy is under attack.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/200193/50-years-after-bloody-sunday-voting-rights-are-under-attack

And this is why it's a little shameful that the GOP leadership doesn't stand at events like this. Events and meanings are too easily lost and at a team when what was won is being threatened again (by the GOP ironically) it is good to remember and important for Republicans to explain their position on how things have evolved to a point where protections aren't needed.

can you tell me which GOP bigwigs attended?

Do you care the presumed Dem presidential nominee didn't?

some folk playing partisan games instead of remembering 

Umm Yeah, Memorial day and Veterans day are private for my family as well, since we are a military family with generations that have gone to war to protect our Country.

I realize I am likely in the minority, I just don't like celebrating events like that. Do we celebrate May 17th ? We hear about it and it was a BIG deal...but we don't have a day off of work for it. To me that was equally as important as Selma and many other dates throughout history.  

Why does a politician have to go ? Doesn't make sense to me.

I am all for human rights and personally I find it absurd that we have to create or adjust laws to give people their rights.

can you tell me which GOP bigwigs attended?

Do you care the presumed Dem presidential nominee didn't?

some folk playing partisan games instead of remembering

I would love to know.

I'm not sure what is better/worse. Not going to this memorial or using it for political grandstanding.

Why a politician? It's just a good political move. Politicians do things for symbolic reasons all the time. More, if others are saying you are changing these voting laws to harm minorities... then skipping events like this only foster or increase the perceptions that minority have of you. If you have a different narrative or reasoning no one hears it if you ain't there.

Why can't the symbol simply be : " I am embarrassed that we were ever at this point as a Country." ?

How many political figures are present for Native American celebrations ?

There are not any that I know of that are not Natives. People consider Columbus Day and Thanksgiving as Native holidays...that is simply not true. I love having the family day (Turkey Day), I hate that it reminds me of how many Natives were annihilated senselessly. We all know that Columbus did not discover America.

I'm not sure what is better/worse. Not going to this memorial or using it for political grandstanding.

I agree, Boehner should show up instead of playing to his base by showing that golf is more important than remembering some black guy's struggle for equality. :)

Regardless, I don't think the GoP is all that serious about courting the black vote. The status quo on the black vote works for both parties. The GoP will spend a little money to try and establish the party's brand in black communities but it's a token effort. They will never win the black vote no matter how much they spend and they know this.

Of course they're not serious about the Black vote. Why would they be? They know they can't get it so there's no point in trying really and I wouldn't blame them for acting accordingly. However the value in attending an event like this isn't in the Black vote, it's in appealing to the centrist White and Latino vote, the latter of which they know they really need to pay more attention to.

Which, is my point. The GOP has to work diligently to fix this problem. It's more than just saying the right things, they have to fight through a group of people that are going to condemn them for being racist/sexist even when they're not acting that way and there are going to be a lot of people that believe it regardless of its truthfulness.

To date they're doing a terrible job...

I doubt anyone thinks the GOP or the Dems are all racist/non-racists respectively. However it sure does seem awfully strange that for every Dem pol that makes a racist/sexist/homophobic gaffe or participates in such an activity, there seem to be several cases of it happening on the other side of the aisle. Either the Dems are 110% better at keeping their crazy Aunts locked up in the basement or the GOP really is a more attractive place for these types.

So if they want to prove to me they're not courting racists as a core constituency they need to look at changing their policies and rhetoric. That's a non-starter for now because they can't get enough votes from other groups to offset the losses in their base. However as the demographics change it will be funny to watch them try to contort themselves into positions acceptable to the former Dixiecrats aka Tea Party without alienating the groups they need to attract to remain relevant.

I think there is another reason no GOP leader wants to go to this.  A gathering of black civil rights leaders and a million cameras means a million opportunities to get a bad photo op.   Imagine Boehner being there and some ancient lady who marched in Selma is giving a speech, and she starts talking about how the GOP is taking away the hard earned voting rights of African Americans.... and the cameras all swerve to focus on John Boehner sitting there, squirming uncomfortably, unable to say a thing.   Not a good visual.

That's what PR Depts. are for. A few of them could have attended, prepared with talking points for just such a case. Yes, it would have been uncomfortable but I'd certainly give them props for it. They could have even used such an occurrence to foment more White victimization rage and to turn the whole thing around on its head.... "See, we get kicked in the teeth even when we try to court the Black vote. Oh, woe is me! *SNIFF* *SNIFF*"

the Selma march yes, the 50th anniversary event no.

That's rich. :rolleyes: Forgive me if I'm more than a touch sceptical about that. Given that many who marched at Selma and participated in the civil rights movement were White, I wonder how many of them were Dixiecrats, the remnants of which make up much of the GOP's base nowadays? Tons I'm sure.

I agree, Boehner should show up instead of playing to his base by showing that golf is more important than remembering some black guy's struggle for equality. :)

If that's really why Obama showed up. Maybe Boehner should have shown up to honor the white people who lost their lives during said struggle.

I bet if any major white political leader had shown up, he/she would be lambasted for grandstanding.

That's what PR Depts. are for. A few of them could have attended, prepared with talking points for just such a case. Yes, it would have been uncomfortable but I'd certainly give them props for it. They could have even used such an occurrence to foment more White victimization rage and to turn the whole thing around on its head.... "See, we get kicked in the teeth even when we try to court the Black vote. Oh, woe is me! *SNIFF* *SNIFF*"

That's rich. :rolleyes: Forgive me if I'm more than a touch sceptical about that. Given that many who marched at Selma and participated in the civil rights movement were White, I wonder how many of them were Dixiecrats, the remnants of which make up much of the GOP's base nowadays? Tons I'm sure.

do you know what gop-ers did attend this year?

you folk and your demographic hopes of salvation amuse me.....almost as as much as the hispanics here electing a black man(Hurd)

Archived