Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I love Costco!

Have you tried the frozen wild caught sockeye salmon filets? They are a little pricier, ($29.99), but they are much tastier than the farmed stuff, IMHO, of course.  They're also individually frozen in individual vacuum-sealed portions.

I can't afford the wild caught salmon, have seen it there. Braswell's makes a sweet bourbon seafood sauce, so I tried to replicate it. I used Irish whisky instead of bourbon because that's what I had. Turned out pretty good.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Has anyone cooked it properly?  Sorry, but it's the easiest...a good marinade can make or break it. 

I’ve had Skinsfans1311’s at the tailgates. Just don’t like salmon. 

Edited by HOF44
  • Like 2

Found some prime top sirloin cap steak at Costco for 6.99/lb.  Never had this before or if I have, I don’t know it.  Finally got some decent temps with no precipitation and fired the grill up.  

Avocado oil, salt, pepper, garlic.

Side salad with homemade white balsamic vinaigrette.

Broiled ciabatta with olive oil and seasonings.

0073ED6C-62BE-4D83-99C0-F10D6C10D79F.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I highly recommend this cut.  Especially at 6.99/lb. A lot of marbling even for a cut that would cost twice that much.  I wonder if they regularly have this and I just haven’t noticed it.

Thanks for posting about this cut. I'll have to try it!

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 9:01 PM, LadySkinsFan said:

Thanks for posting about this cut. I'll have to try it!

Same here! Hitting Costco this week and added it to the shopping list.

Smoked a ham yesterday.  This was about 2 1/2 hrs in, just before I wrapped it.  It's a spiral sliced ham.  I smeared it with yellow mustard and coated it with a brown sugar & rub mix. Smoked it, sprayed it with OJ, sprinkled with the rest of the rub mix, wrapped it, and pulled it when it hit 140°.

Average smoke temp was ~ 220°.  I forgot to take a pic of the finished product.  Mrs. Skinsfan made stock with the hock, and  she made bean soup with it today.

20210306_152634.jpg

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

This pico de gallo is mild with a lot of flavor. I got regular pico de gallo for the beef. I didn't feel like cutting stuff up so am happy to just cook the proteins. 

I'm going to try the mango on some salmon.

You'll like that.  I can almost taste it.  :)

• Like 2

Doing my annual, sometime semi-annual Genesis cleansing.  My god.  So disgusting.  I wish there was a service you could pay for to have someone else clean your grill.

The one thing about grill grates, particularly using the flat sides, you get a ton of build up from scraping and it's messy to clean it up regularly.  I actually ordered 2 griddle inserts from them as well that I plan to get seasoned up this evening if I ever get through this black grease cleansing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

My grandmother, an Iowa farmer, used to say that you use everything from a pig but the oink.

That sounds familiar! My great uncles on my dad's side raised animals. Uncle Charles had a dairy and hog farm with chickens on the side. Uncle Myles raised cattle and had a pond that he stocked with blue gills for us youngsters to fish for. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Doing my annual, sometime semi-annual Genesis cleansing.  My god.  So disgusting.  I wish there was a service you could pay for to have someone else clean your grill.

The one thing about grill grates, particularly using the flat sides, you get a ton of build up from scraping and it's messy to clean it up regularly.  I actually ordered 2 griddle inserts from them as well that I plan to get seasoned up this evening if I ever get through this black grease cleansing.

On my gas Weber I used to turn all 3 burners on high & cover the grates with a couple of pieces of aluminum foil. Let it burn for about  8-10 minutes. Make sure it's away from anything that can catch fire & stay out of the billowing smoke. I do the same thing with my Akorn semi-annually. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

That sounds familiar! My great uncles on my dad's side raised animals. Uncle Charles had a dairy and hog farm with chickens on the side. Uncle Myles raised cattle and had a pond that he stocked with blue gills for us youngsters to fish for. 

Indeed.  I'm a cowgirl, everything but the horns. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I've had my eye on those.  Let me know how you like them.    I lucked into a complete set of GrillGrates for one of my kettles for $60.00 shipped!!   Someone on another board didn't like them and they were hardly used.     Now three of my grills set up with GrillGrates.   To clean them on the Genesis, (I have a Silver B), 2 panels flat side up, and 3 raised.    To heavy clean, I blast them with heat, brush with a Weber bristle brush and, after it cools, lift the grates slightly and push the gunk into the body then scrape the gunk from the body into the grease tray and dump it.   I only do that twice a year.   The heat seems to take care of the rest.      I read that the cleaning brushes that they sell are junk.   I just use the Grate Tool spatula that they shipped with the grates to scrape the valleys.

grillgrates.jpg

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Got the grill cleaned up yesterday, even after hand cleaning, I did a 20 minute high heat burn off.

Broke in the griddle grates this morning with a pound of bacon.  

AF73063D-9EBC-410E-ACDF-08DCCB57AF8B.jpeg

F03766FA-D59F-47F9-96CE-47DC7CC66E6B.jpeg

Breaking like a Boss!

• Like 3