Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

As someone who was always skeptical of an air ‘fryer’ as we already have a convection oven, I must admit the Ninja sheet pan air fryer my wife purchased a few months ago is an incredible machine.  It gets to 450 in 60 seconds and cooks food in roughly half the time it takes in my convection oven.  I made some wings for the game on Sunday, that not even Dwayne Haskins play could make me throw back up.

Dare I say these came out even better than most fried wings I’ve ever had. Cooking them in the air fryer basket with the drip pan underneath, allows the fat to render away from the chicken, while still offering incredible crisp.

Rubbed them down in just a little bit of oil and old bay.  When they came out, I hit them with a drizzle of butter, more old Bay and Mike’s hot honey.  

Disregard the size of the wings, as they are organic.  I’m still up in the air if I’ll get organic wings again.  But the flavor cannot be matched.

E17ED13D-757D-45A1-AC8F-814853D9A219.jpeg

F29E0E45-AEA7-41A8-B391-0AE4368B289C.jpeg

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Which airfryer did you buy? I got the Ninja Foodi XL Grill and it has been fantastic grilling foods as well as air frying potato wedges

Ninja Sheet Pan Oven 8 in 1

It flips up to take up less counter space.  Got rid of our toaster as well.  We’ve been using it several times a day.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

Yeah it was delicious! Not pictured, baked potatoes, roast broccoli, green beans and red wine jus for the meat.

I swear, the prime rib made my mouth water.  It's perfect.  And I'm a big fan of everything else, too, especially the brie...Happy Birthday! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yummy feast, dfitzo53! 

I made the Pennsylvania Dutch/German New Year dinner last night. My mom used to make a big pot of it, pork roast cooked with sauerkraut, potatoes, and dumplings at the end. My single two serving version was a couple of small boneless pork chops, a small can of sauerkraut, and 1 potato cut up. No dumplings because of carbs. Still delicious and I have another serving for tomorrow. I didn't have any black eyed peas for the Southern tradition. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 2:57 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Dare I say these came out even better than most fried wings I’ve ever had. Cooking them in the air fryer basket with the drip pan underneath, allows the fat to render away from the chicken, while still offering incredible crisp.

Rubbed them down in just a little bit of oil and old bay.  When they came out, I hit them with a drizzle of butter, more old Bay and Mike’s hot honey.  

Yo man me and the wife just did this last night and these were the best wings I ever had in my life. And I have had many, many, many many many wings lol. 

What’s crazy is the mikes hot honey thing. She ended up getting me some for Christmas, so I used it to make honey old fashioneds (if you like old fashioneds, try this. Prefect bite to them) and then immediately was like “I want this on chicken”. I had never seen this post until right now! How random is that? I was telling her it was gonna be the family secret recipe for generations. Shame we have to silence you now. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Llevron said:

Yo man me and the wife just did this last night and these were the best wings I ever had in my life. And I have had many, many, many many many wings lol. 

What’s crazy is the mikes hot honey thing.

There’s a place here that does Old Bay-n-Honey, so I kind of took it up a notch with the Hot Honey.  And it’s way better than plain honey.

Its funny you say that about the secret, because my wife and I were talking about how we unlocked the key to the perfect wing.  Crispy, not greasy, salty, savory, spicy and sweet.

We devoured the 40 wings between the three of us in no time.  Now that I think of it, nobody even asked for any ranch or sauce to dip them in, just straight up.

• Like 1

Did a "Poor  Man's brisket", and broke in our new Dutch oven. Mom & Dad gifted it to us for Christmas. I've had my eye one for years, but my cheap ass never pulled the trigger. 

This was my first crack at "made from scratch" bread, that wasn't beer bread, or Irish soda bread.  It turned out really good. 

20210102_190347.jpg

20210102_182917.jpg

• Like 6

12 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There’s a place here that does Old Bay-n-Honey, so I kind of took it up a notch with the Hot Honey.  And it’s way better than plain honey.

That’s exactly how we got the idea. We didn’t have any old bay (I know, but we just moved in, and I forgive her) so we went with some other salty/garlic seasoning which worked out great. It’s the salt-sweet thing that makes them so good. I can’t wait to try it with old bay tho. 

12 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Its funny you say that about the secret, because my wife and I were talking about how we unlocked the key to the perfect wing.  Crispy, not greasy, salty, savory, spicy and sweet.

We devoured the 40 wings between the three of us in no time.  Now that I think of it, nobody even asked for any ranch or sauce to dip them in, just straight up.

Out of curiosity did y’all batter the wings at all? This was our first time making them without the batter.....and the first time with the honey so I’m not sure if the batter even made a difference. I was so into the flavor I didn’t even pay attention to it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Llevron said:

Out of curiosity did y’all batter the wings at all? This was our first time making them without the batter.....and the first time with the honey so I’m not sure if the batter even made a difference. I was so into the flavor I didn’t even pay attention to it. 

No batter.  I hit them with a little bit of avocado oil and old bay and put them in the air fryer.  Just straight up crispy skin.