Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

Interesting quote from 2003 AJ Smith press conference: I've seen other organizations over the years and I've (cont) http://tl.gd/n_1sjo6pb 

Interesting quote from 2003 AJ Smith press conference:

I've seen other organizations over the years and I've heard things where a head coach likes one guy and a personnel director likes another guy and a GM likes another guy, and they just go back and forth. If that's the case, you better go find another player that you all like. Because what happens is if somebody just goes up there and pulls a name off the board, then you're not on the same page number one, it is a bad way to start off to have him on your football team. Then if the guy doesn't materialize you are pointing fingers over here. 

The way to avoid that is to simply find a football player that we all like. We've always done that. Marty is aware of that last year, that's my philosophy. 

I've never understood why  head coaches want to call plays...there are coordinators for that. The coach needs to coordinate all of the coordinators AND the players. Wastes time and sacrifices a bit of perspective as a result.

I totally do.  I was hired as a reporter producer for a news bureau once and quickly elevated to senior producer which meant that I controlled the clock, edited scripts, and was basically in charge of everything the news room produced in the afternoon.  I still found time to do some reporting and hosting because that's where the fun is. The management, the nuts and bolts of making sure all the parts fit together... that's work, necessary, useful work... but it isn't fun, it isn't a challenge in the same way.  You don't get the same thrill of accomplishment.

Likewise, managing the team has its rewards, but the fun, the ego thrill has to be the chess match between you and your opponent.  That's got to be really cool when you outsmart and better the other guy.  When in the heat of the battle, you chose right, and what you planned out worked.

You can get satisfaction out of management too, but it's colder and more distant.  I would get a thrill when one of my bookers snagged a great guest or we pulled off a great interview, but it's not the same as when it's you out there with the opportunity to win or fail.

I totally do.  I was hired as a reporter producer for a news bureau once and quickly elevated to senior producer which meant that I controlled the clock, edited scripts, and was basically in charge of everything the news room produced in the afternoon.  I still found time to do some reporting and hosting because that's where the fun is. The management, the nuts and bolts of making sure all the parts fit together... that's work, necessary, useful work... but it isn't fun, it isn't a challenge in the same way.  You don't get the same thrill of accomplishment.

Likewise, managing the team has its rewards, but the fun, the ego thrill has to be the chess match between you and your opponent.  That's got to be really cool when you outsmart and better the other guy.  When in the heat of the battle, you chose right, and what you planned out worked.

You can get satisfaction out of management too, but it's colder and more distant.  I would get a thrill when one of my bookers snagged a great guest or we pulled off a great interview, but it's not the same as when it's you out there with the opportunity to win or fail.

Disagree.

A head coach needs to hire people to run the offense and defense. The head coach's job is to manage the team, yes, but more importantly, it's to use their knowledge of the game to help in all phases. It might be game planning tweaks, it might be wrinkles, it might be adding your expertise to the coordinator to help that side of the ball out. It could be anything. But a head coach that is calling the offense or defense is now very bogged down when it comes to making sure that the other facets are sound. You have to be so into the offensive game plan that you're much less focused on the defensive game plan.

I always liked the way Beamer does it. He's the special teams coordinator. It's a position where you still get to coach, claim a facet of the game, game plan, ect., but it's not as full time as your O/D are. Don't get me wrong, it's tremendously important, but he gets his fix through doing that.

Still, if I were ever lucky/accomplished enough to land that kind of gig, I think I would hire coordinators for all three facets so that I could help all three/oversee all three. That doesn't mean butt in and step on toes. But that does mean that MY name is on the side of the bus, so I need to be comfortable with what we're doing. And for the record, that's why the head coach needs to be able to choose who his coordinators are. I hire guys because I trust them and CAN leave them to their own devices and offer advice/conflicting view points to their thoughts. I don't hire them so I can step on them.

The best coaches are guys who can surround themselves with excellent coaching talent.

If Bruce got one thing right in press conference it was that free agency won't fix the team, the draft will.

It got approved! New @DCunited Stadium is coming near the neighborhood by 2017. You ready? http://bit.ly/1tD6eSU 

B6mD8vSIUAA4OF0.jpg

Disagree.

A head coach needs to hire people to run the offense and defense.  I hire guys because I trust them and CAN leave them to their own devices and offer advice/conflicting view points to their thoughts. I don't hire them so I can step on them.

The best coaches are guys who can surround themselves with excellent coaching talent.

Same with my experience managing people in business. If you can't see every facet of the operation because you are doing work on just one, how will the overall operation improve. If Jay wants to run O and has a competent DC as an Asst. Coach and a competent GM to oversee the whole team, that may work, but it wouldn't be my choice at all. I would want the coach to see the team as a machine not just steer the offense. 

Disagree.

Not sure what you were disagreeing with.  I thought I was answering why a guy would want to call plays as a head coach not whether they should.  I think the reasons why someone would want to are all about ego and the excitement of the moment.  Now, whether that's the best model for a team to adopt is a different question.  In the good ole days of football, the HC usually did call one side of the ball.  Mind you, in the really good ole days, the QB called it for himself.  I think what works best can be debated, but I can certainly see why Gruden or any one else who has been a successful play caller wold hate to give that up.

That's where the fun is.

Good point. The personal aspect makes sense. I just don't think spreading yourself too thin and thus losing the perspective of objectivity is a good business/football decision.

Green Bay is 8-0 at home and the Cowboys are 8-0 on the road..something has to give

Learn what makes you happy!! Then make yourself happy!! #ENJOYtheDAY http://instagram.com/p/xejyEkoe1G/ 

Redskins OffSeason ‏@Chris_Worthy_  31m

This week is going to be buzz Worthy for the Redskins.

This week is going to be buzz Worthy for the Redskins.

Early draft notes, 2014 player recaps and more in today's #Redskins Morning Clips: http://oak.ctx.ly/r/29xme 

After watching film on several FA guards.... Orlando Franklin should be the #Redskins main target.

#ComingHome #dcRising RT @mattcarr1932: GOAT

B6lw4S5IUAALB7V.jpg

Sources: #Redskins reached out to respected personnel man Scot McCloughan about being a top executive for them. Was out of football in ’14.

Green Bay is 8-0 at home and the Cowboys are 8-0 on the road..something has to give

Sources: #Redskins reached out to respected personnel man Scot McCloughan about being a top executive for them. Was out of football in ’14.

Unless the game goes for 41 quarters!  I think there's a rule that Roger Goodell can demand the QBs to commit to a trial by combat if the length of the game exceeds 10 hours.

romoSUCKS vs. Rodgers, 10 rounds, pay per view for the right to go to the NFC Championship!

And McCloughan tweet is very interesting.  SF from 2005-2010, had some good drafts, some less good.  Was with Seattle during their meteoric rise.  Very interesting.

He's definitely a football guy.  Bar is low but initial reaction is that I'm intrigued.

And McCloughan tweet is very interesting.  SF from 2005-2010, had some good drafts, some less good.  Was with Seattle during their meteoric rise.  Very interesting.

He's definitely a football guy.  Bar is low but initial reaction is that I'm intrigued.

Yep, I'm very giddy about that.

My only concern in Snyder. He may be too toxic for any sane football person to work here. 

.@RapSheet Scot McCloughan's dad (Kent) & brother (David) were both on Raiders staff w/ Allen. Kent was also a 3rd pick of Redskins in '65

Yep, I'm very giddy about that.

My only concern in Snyder. He may be too toxic for any sane football person to work here. 

.@RapSheet Scot McCloughan's dad (Kent) & brother (David) were both on Raiders staff w/ Allen. Kent was also a 3rd pick of Redskins in '65

"WHAT!?!?  He has ties!  Ties that bind!  He is tainted!  Tainted I say!  I heard he also met Haslett one time in Reno!" - some people

"He was with Seattle!?  In 2012!?  We'll never win a playoff game with him, Seattle will know all his ins and outs and how to beat him!" - other people

And yeah, it's sad that the highest bar to hiring good talent is us and not other teams, but man do I have my fingers crossed something positive comes from this.

Justin Byram retweeted

Re: reports of Redskins interest in Scot McCloughan: He and Bruce Allen are indeed friends, and Redskins were one of his clients last year.

chad dukes @chaddukes 6m6 minutes ago

Why McCloughhan was out of football for a year ---> http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/23/seahawks-executive-scot-mccloughan-resigning-to-tend-to-personal-matters/  #Redskins

@TarikCSN Why do I get the feeling Bruce only knew he was available because he had, oh, five minutes to kill and picked the magazine up?

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet 29m29 minutes ago

0 replies 0 retweets 1 favorite

1. Could just be the risk necessary to make the #Redskins relevant again. Would he even want to come? I have no clue maybe he likes a challenge

0 replies 1 retweet 0 favorites

2. McCloughan comes with baggage but, it's a high reward too. McCloughan does one thing, win.

I'm going to do the same thing with Mac that I am doing with the DC search... Wait and see. No excitement. 

I am happy to hear this is a move that's being considered. But let's wait and see.

Bingo. Until someone is actually hired and put in a position to succeed, I'm not sure why anyone should think the status quo has changed.

Archived