Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: Redskins vs Cowboys (Final)

JimmiJo

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: Redskins vs Cowboys

12/28/14

Hello friends! JimmiJo here, joined by Spaceman Spiff for today's action.

One last game. One last time. And then we will put a bow in this crappy season and move on. 

As bad as the season has been, the Redskins can give us a present by beating the Cowboys today. A win would bring the season total to five, which sounds a lot better than four. Either way, it is hard to feel good about the season they have had.

As soon as the game ends today the clock will start on organizational and roster moves. When you record a handful of wins or fewer people will be out of work. I know who is on my wishlist, none more so than defensive coordinator.

From a player standpoint the big question will be at quarterback. Robert Griffin III is not the unquestioned starter going into next year. Could he cement that today? Yes, but it would take 400-plus yards and three touchdown passes to make that happen. I don't expect it.

Dallas doesn't have a lot to play for, other than revenge. A first-round bye depends on others and their first concern will be keeping folks healthy. I expect the starters to play only the first half. We'll see.

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:

o   No. 37 RB Chris Thompson

o   No. 40 CB Kenny Okoro

o   No. 67 G Josh LeRibeus

o   No. 69 OL Rishaw Johnson

o   No. 79 DL Travian Robertson

o   No. 85 WR Leonard Hankerson

o   No. 90 LB Steve Beauharnais

Stand by...

Follow along in-game on Twitter @Skinscast

Photos

Half

After a bright start, the Cowboys took over and built a 20-point lead. The Redskins got three back then mounted a defensive stand at the end of the half to settle at 27-10.

Washington gets the ball to start the third quarter and a score is what they need at a minimum to get back in this game. 

Ugh

After all that, if the Redskins take advantage of their red zone opportunities they probably win this game. But they didn’t. Instead they got blown out. A fitting end to a crappy season.

Jason Garrett is a fool to leave his starters in so long. That was just stupid. I guess he did it to try and run up the score, which it took until late in the game to do.

So the game didn’t mean much and it is over and so is the season. But there were some things to watch in this game in terms of the future:

Jay Gruden

He returns. His contract is too long and they would have to pay him too much.

Robert Griffin III

I wrote pregame he needed a big game to seal the starter’s job. He did neither. He threw a horrible red zone pick and followed it up with another pick that was his fault due to staring down the receiver and throwing late. The fumble is arguably on him as well.

Will he be here next year? Yes. Is he the starter? Maybe. But maybe not. At a minimum there will be an open competition for starter. And things will get very interesting if the team brings in a veteran to compete. I don’t think it is a given he is the starter or long-term future of Washington.

Jim Haslett

Logic tells me there has to be a change at defensive coordinator. Appreciating the defense tightened up after the first half, the defense was horrible when the game was undecided. Dallas rang up a quick 27 then took the foot off the gas.

The defense has never been good since he arrived and you can only cite the roster for so long. Last year we heard Mike Shanahan held him back. Can’t use that excuse anymore.

My hope is that Rex Ryan comes if the Jets let him go. Heck of a defensive coordinator and that’s just what the Redskins need.

Bruce Allen

I figure he stays. But I think he will get some help with personnel decisions. Do the Redskins promote A.J. Smith to help? He is the former GM of San Diego. Problem with this idea is that Smith has been around for a while and the roster still stinks.

Washington has had too much continuity in the front office. Time to upgrade.

David Amerson

Horrible day. Very poor season. He may have played himself out of a job today.

I don’t want to get too into the weeds on roster needs as I could be writing for a while. The fact is this roster needs to be rebuilt. They have multiple needs at safety and on both lines.

They have some guys at skill positions but the core of the team needs a makeover. Probably more than a single offseason can do.

The worse part for this team is that I believe the fans are walking away from them now in droves. I wrote recently in Warpath how a generation of losing is finally taking its toll on the fan base. This is why we see so many empty seats, even after they removed 20,000 seats.

Now that Griffin is effectively a bust (until he starts playing well again), the fans are pretty dispirited. It will take something pretty big to bring the excitement back.  Not sure what they can do, but they better figure it out pretty quick or we could see the end of the endless sellouts soon.

Have to take a second and thank TK and ES for letting me cover this year. Here’s to a good offseason and better year in 2015.

ES PhotoStream

Ebbity ebbity ebbity....

15946090809_4dac2cbf96_o_zpsc4b62799.jpg

That's all folks!

I want so bad the W, so baaaaaaaaad.

My chest has this weird feeling that maybe is the last time I see our beatiful logo and hear our brave and glorious name.

Since I'm from México, if that BS happen football is done for me, I don't live in D.C. and I my eternal love for this team is because for the first time I felt represented in sports, in football the game I love so much. My blood is native.

Even when I learned to love all the people around here I can't support the Capitals of the NFL, even when I learned to respect D.C. I don't live up there and of course I will hang here with all of you supporting the people and having a good time.

So I don't want to turn emotional LOL I love the Pieles Rojas forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE WANT DALLAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived