Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: Redskins vs Buccaneers (Final - Photos & Writeup)

JimmiJo

OK then why do people want him to play? So we can win maybe two more games and be stuck at the end of the season still not knowing what the hell we are gonna do at qb.

At this point you ride Robert to the end of the season. If he continues to suck well draft a qb. If he turns it around we can focus our picks and the million other positions of need.

I didn't say he should play.

I said if he did play today, we would've won.

Why would people actually want to win? We might as well tank and give us the best chance to get the best player available in the draft.

I'm all for whoever is going to give us a chance at 3-13 and the opportunity to draft in the top 5 of the draft. 

See you say that out of one side of your mouth and out of the other you say "we'll get someone to help RG3".

I was behind starting RG3 against the Vikings for specifically the reason of evaluation.  But that doesn't mean I can't criticize.

Was at the game. This was just plain embarrassment the players did not even looked pumped to take the field.  This was the most disheartening performance I have ever seen by any team at the pro or college level . The Redskins owe us a game because they did not show up at all.  I cannot blame this loss on one person because it was a major disconnect at all three aspects of the game offense, defense, and special teams.  At this point I think the Oakland Raiders could beat us. Something has to change fast. Coming off a bye week and getting blasted at home by Tampa Bay is unacceptable.

I was behind starting RG3 against the Vikings for specifically the reason of evaluation.  But that doesn't mean I can't criticize.

At least RG3 showed that he could put together a decent performance against the Vikes, albeit with the first-half INT and the wormball at the end.

For as much criticism (deservedly so) as RG3 is getting today, I'm trying to imagine the firestorm if this had been his first game back, especially if we had won the Vikes game with Colt under center.  Or would people had made excuses for rust?  For today, there is no excuse.

From what I'm reading... most people aren't saying Colt is the guy.

Actually, none of them are.  They are just saying that of the three he gives us the best chance to win at this point.

But I think you have to ride with RG3.  If nothing else we'll see some exquisite excuses from the peanut gallery on why he sucks so bad when he's asked to make more than one read on a pop pass.

EDIT:  You also don't build a team around Colt McCoy.  He's a decent back up.  But that's where we are with this, lol.

Casserly took a poll a few months back (after Cousins performance vs Eagles, I think) and the GMs in the league that he asked were saying that RG3 would get a conditional 6th round pick at BEST.

It is what it is.

So I must also ask you, how do you feel about the head coach? Is this overall team going in the right direction because everyone seems to think a quarterback change will solve this team problems.

At least RG3 showed that he could put together a decent performance against the Vikes, albeit with the first-half INT and the wormball at the end.

For as much criticism (deservedly so) as RG3 is getting today, I'm trying to imagine the firestorm if this had been his first game back, especially if we had won the Vikes game with Colt under center.  Or would people had made excuses for rust?  For today, there is no excuse.

There is no excuse for RG3 performance today but that can be said about the whole entire team. I am so tired of seeing that damn blown coverage on defense week in and out. 

I did not watch the game, thank goodness, but it sounds like to me we are going to see a repeat of last year.  We just got man handled by one of the worst teams in the NFL at home after two weeks of preparation.  That to me is a sign that they have mailed it in, just like they did last year.  But what is worse is that was blamed on a coach who had also mailed it in and had lost the team.  If they in fact are mailing it in on a first year coach then that does not bode well for Gruden long term.  That will be difficult to overcome.

First time getting on here today as I didn't want to see the depression yet. I didn't have a chance to watch today's game and now I'm glad I didn't. At this point I can't even get pissed off anymore, just sad. It sucks losing like this year in and year out. I will continue to bleed burgundy & gold, however I think we all need to realize it's going to take at least 4 years to rebuild this mess of an organization.

We need a new GM for starters. A new Defensive Coordinator. A whole new offensive line (besides Trent). Players that just want to play to win the game and are not in it for the money. I'm saying this into no one in particular on our team, but I just feel not all of the players have their hearts into the game. We need 2 new tight ends also, Paul and Paulsen finally need to go. We were a horrible team last year and we have a new head coach, I wasn't expecting the playoffs this year but I also didn't think we would be one of the worst teams again.

I'm not giving up on RG3 yet. I'm giving him the rest of the season to see what he can do. However if we don't manage to get anymore wins, then we should definitely be looking to draft another QB. Hard to swallow that. Also this loss reflects badly on Gruden, 2 weeks to prepare for a 1-8 team at home and we lose like that? Not good

Outside of Oakland, Jacksonville and Tennessee we are arguably the worst team in the NFL.

The team as a whole played so poorly that I have a hard time placing all the blame on Bob. That said some of his mistakes lead directly to loosing points. He missed DJax twice when if he hits him Djax scores. He took 2 sacks in a row which set Kai up to miss a 50 yarder, which honestly he does not have the leg to make. He then took another sack which again pushed us outside Kai's range. This one was more on the line then Bob but still that is him personally leaving a lot of points on the field.

If you look at our Oline outside of Trent there is not a single player who would start on any other team in the NFL. Sorry but it is true. They are terrible and when someone goes down and the next man up has to play it just gets worse. Today they got most of their pressure with just 4 rushers. Add to that the fact that Bob does not seem able to read the defense pre-snap,when people blitz. He cannot make the proper adjustments at the line to get rid of the ball before the pressure reaches him.

It is hard to know if Morris is simply not running well or is the oline just horrible. He is getting hit more and more at the line of scrimmage and he has to run through contact and the point of attack on almost every run. Also there are no cut back lanes which is such a staple of our running game. I also believe that Gruden kept the running game concepts but is not coaching the current players up enough to make it effective. Maybe they are just so limited on talent that it does not matter.

Our Dline is horrible. There is no push. The CBs played ok today but the safties played like crap. Clark is simply too slow. We are seeing why the Steelers let him go. He does a better job of commentating on bye weeks then he does playing safety in the NFL these days. Murphy is soooo spotty and really has not shown me much. Flashes but then huge rookie mistakes. Completely wiffed on Mike Evans which would have slowed him down instead of him just running past the LB. As good as Hasslets play calling was in the Dallas game he has sucked since. NO PRESSURE.

There is so much blame to go around. You cannot point to just one player or just one play. It is a total lack of effort. Dark days for Skins fans....

With all of that on the table you still have to play Bob. You have to figure out if he can grow. Can he get better? Does he have the skill set. Cousins is not the answer and either is Colt Mcoy. Mcoy has no upside. He might be a solid backup for after we let Cousins go to FA but he is not a every game starter. Of the 3 QBs on the roster Bob is the only one who has put together a string of wins and has gotten us to the playoffs. Yes he is not the same guy but he is the one with the most upside. You have to play him to see if he can regain that swagger. If he cannot then you do not pick up the 5th year option and you move on and start over. If you don't play him you will not be able to make an educated decision. At this point in this season it is more important to see what we have in Bob then winning games, which i doubt the other QBs on the roster are going to accomplish anyway.

Dark ..... Days.

Well this game has pretty much sealed the season for me.  I'm not going to watch any more games - I'll check in on the highlights afterwards, but it's puts me in too bad of a mood to watch this team.  I'm still hoping that it's not as bad as it seems, and maybe it isn't, but I don't want to keep ruining my Sundays watching this current group. 

I'm sure something will happen in the off season that will restore some hope and I'll be ready for next season, but I need a break.

This loss is on The Coaching staff, and the players.  Why in the hell is Paul and Paulsen playing over Reed. We don't run the ball enough can't call any playaction plays because the sorry *** line can't block for ****. I keep seeing people say that RG3 held the ball to long and which led to all 6 sacks, nut how long is to long. If the line can't hold there blocks for more then 3 seconds they shouldn't be in the NFL. On at least 3 out of the 6 sacks RG3 only had 2 to 3 seconds before he was sacked. 

The Def. looked like **** as always. The D-line didn't touch the QB all damn day. We can't get any type of pass rush with the front 7. The scheme is just a ******* mess. We can't blitz to save our lives. They did a damn good job when we played the cowboys but that was it. The secondary plays no bump and run, with to big DB's bump and run should be the way to go, but no they play 7 yards off the WR. The to old guys back playing safety are just no damn good at all.

Morris doesn't get the yards because they pitch the ball back to him 4 or 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage and by the time the ball is in his hands he needs to make up those 5 yards just to get back to even. By then the defense has already blown through their blocks.

Every 2 yard run by Morris is actually a 7 yard run.

We sure like to run that ugly up the gut pitch play. I thought pitch plays were generally used with the back out wide. Setting up the fake pitch and the defense over committing.

Gruden seriously needs to rethink his Robert in the pocket game plans. Where are the sprint outs and boots? 

It's just another miserable Monday.

I didn't say he should play.

I said if he did play today, we would've won.

Yea, wasn't going after you or anything. But yes i agree i think we very well could have won if Colt played.

But as other said i honestly dont want to win. I want to end up with a top 1-5 pick and starting building this team the right way...even tho i doubt we will. 

So I must also ask you, how do you feel about the head coach? Is this overall team going in the right direction because everyone seems to think a quarterback change will solve this team problems.

I love Jay Gruden.  I think he has all the goods to be a great head coach.

But I think organizationally we suck.  It's well documented in other threads that our personnel department sucks, we don't have a GM, our owner can't pick any high level executives that are worth a **** or that aren't in his circle of friends.  So I don't think it matters who the coach is, they are set up to fail because of the team they coach.

Do I think a QB change will solve everything?  Absolutely not.  Do I think that Colt McCoy would've won yesterday?  Absolutely. 

Do I think the future of the franchise is on the roster at QB?  Hell no.

Took me over 30 years to get to this, but I'm just that ho hum mother ****er now, lol.

We sure like to run that ugly up the gut pitch play. I thought pitch plays were generally used with the back out wide. Setting up the fake pitch and the defense over committing.

Gruden seriously needs to rethink his Robert in the pocket game plans. Where are the sprint outs and boots? 

It's just another miserable Monday.

We normally only do that with Griffin.  I don't know if it's a footwork thing or what.  But it's basically an outside zone or inside zone run.  But even Kyle did that with Griffin.  Maybe he struggles handing the ball off with one hand?  Who knows anymore?

Man, I would have liked to get a first or second rounder for DJax... The glow of Dallas game is gone.

We need picks. But what's even more depressing, is the overwhelming lack of direction and talent. Even if we were a franchise team that was awarded top FA and draft pick, I still don't see us anywhere near close.

I have not signed off on RG3 however.

I don't see how you can continue to play RG3.  He can't execute the offense, beyond single read style plays.  His confidence is shot to the point that he is becoming erratic on the most simple, check downs, even WR screens.  Honestly I think we could get better play out of a Pat White.  At this level of development, he should be on the sideline, holding the clipboard.  Sadly its to late, three years in.

RG3 is done.  It's not fair to the rest of the team, who have played poorly and inconsistently, to put RG3 out there.  He's not really even a backup. He can't execute a pro style offense.  Regardless you can't keep him as a backup, not  even at a backup salary.  

Its time to see the young S and OL options get some time.  Give Colt his run.   They rest of the vets with the big salaries will have to suck it up, shut up, and earn their paycheck, as we loose out the rest of the season.

Top five or six will put us in possible position to land Winston, if the character concerns continue to push him down.  I don't watch college ball so I say Winston, based only on the on field assessments I have seen. It seems that he would be the clear number 1 overall all pick if he had been clean off the field.  

I think the emphasisze on a "Franchise" QB with star power is overrated.  All you need to succeed in the NFL is a "game manager" under center capable of scoring more than 20 points a game ... and a defense solid enough to hold the oppposition to less than 20 points/gm.

Is that so impossible?  Good grief!

I saw a lot of good things from RG3 early in the game. Decent movement, smart decisions(sliding, throwing out of bounds). The problem was he seemed to forget about those strategies as the game went on, and the team got more desperate. The interceptions sucked, but the first was a weird fluke. The second was a good defensive play that could just have easily fallen incomplete. If he moved in the pocket the entire game and went through the progressions like he did early on, would have been much closer. But, not good enough by far.

I think the emphasisze on a "Franchise" QB with star power is overrated.  All you need to succeed in the NFL is a "game manager" under center capable of scoring more than 20 points a game ... and a defense solid enough to hold the oppposition to less than 20 points/gm.

Is that so impossible?  Good grief!

Dont agree with this..if you want a game manager you need a dominant D not just a solid...we are far far away from having that kind of D. But i think they need to make a decision on what they wanna build around. 

We lack a decisive direction.

We have personnel, schemes and players that don't match up. How can we expect to do well?

Instead of adjusting by getting a coach to match the players(specifically on D) or getting players to match the coach/scheme, we just have no specific direction we appear to be going in. People playing out of position.

On offense, instead of addressing a clear need(OL) in free agency, we largely ignored it.  And don't tell me getting one of the worst guards in the league is addressing a bad OL. You need OL to get the ball moving consistently.

Time will tell what the last draft produces.

Archived