Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: Redskins vs Buccaneers (Final - Photos & Writeup)

JimmiJo

I saw a lot of good things from RG3 early in the game. Decent movement, smart decisions(sliding, throwing out of bounds). The problem was he seemed to forget about those strategies as the game went on, and the team got more desperate. The interceptions sucked, but the first was a weird fluke. The second was a good defensive play that could just have easily fallen incomplete. If he moved in the pocket the entire game and went through the progressions like he did early on, would have been much closer. But, not good enough by far.

I agree, but I think what happens is he does not trust the guys around him. Look at the first play he looked for the first and second guy and they weren't there, he has a guy right in his face, gives a nice pump fake and rolls left and instead of what he use to do (taking off up field), he threw running left across his body to a wide open Paul, pass wasn't great but it didn't need to be in that instance ball was low an away from any defender and hit him in the hands until Paul tries to run before catching it and throws it right to a defender. 

He does not trust the line, it seems that the pressure is almost immediately in his face so he feels like he has to move or rush. I'm not going to say what he should do because i don't know the drop, what he can see from the field level behind linemen or what the routes are but I know what the coach should do, stop calling plays with anything over 3 steps because they can't protect it.

What may compound this is he is not trusting that someone is going to be where he should throw so he wants to see it first which probably slows down his read or he just isn't that comfortable with the progression. These things come in time but with this fan base media and some staff he will have no time to develop and this team has too many failures in other areas to allow for a young QB to make mistakes. I mean as bad as they played it was 13 - 7 at the half, Kai missed two field goals wide right that would have tied it up. Then you have Ryan Clark blowing coverage's for a second game in a row leading to big TD's.  

Oy.... what a day

I can go back years and find posts saying exactly the same thing then that I'd say today- FIX THE *%$$!^^)& LINE!!!!! The whole Shanny genius-anyone can play his system- zone blocking w/ undersized/understrength linemen thing has got to go!

Gimme some 400# sumo wrestlers that can't move for **** but don't get tossed into the backfield every play. How Chester still has a job, much less a starting gig is beyond me. How these coaches review the game film and don't see the same cluster**** express trainwreck that we do every week is beyond me.

One quality starter on the line and now he's out hurt, you thought THIS week was bad? The rest of the season is gonna be a nightmare that would make Freddy cringe.

For the life of me I just can't grasp what the FO is doing/thinking here, Gruden has to know this is killing his career. I'd be pounding desks, ranting-raving-spittle flying screaming at somebody this morning.

I agree, but I think what happens is he does not trust the guys around him. Look at the first play he looked for the first and second guy and they weren't there, he has a guy right in his face, gives a nice pump fake and rolls left and instead of what he use to do (taking off up field), he threw running left across his body to a wide open Paul, pass wasn't great but it didn't need to be in that instance ball was low an away from any defender and hit him in the hands until Paul tries to run before catching it and throws it right to a defender. 

He does not trust the line, it seems that the pressure is almost immediately in his face so he feels like he has to move or rush. I'm not going to say what he should do because i don't know the drop, what he can see from the field level behind linemen or what the routes are but I know what the coach should do, stop calling plays with anything over 3 steps because they can't protect it.

What may compound this is he is not trusting that someone is going to be where he should throw so he wants to see it first which probably slows down his read or he just isn't that comfortable with the progression. These things come in time but with this fan base media and some staff he will have no time to develop and this team has too many failures in other areas to allow for a young QB to make mistakes. I mean as bad as they played it was 13 - 7 at the half, Kai missed two field goals wide right that would have tied it up. Then you have Ryan Clark blowing coverage's for a second game in a row leading to big TD's.  

Agreed, there is a lack of trust.

Someone tried telling me yesterday that Kai missing two field goals had no effect on the game.

Score dictates what you do on offense. The fact that we were done allowed their defense to pass rush more, which totally threw off our team, who is ill equipped to handle any pressure beyond a 3 or 4 man rush.

I saw a lot of good things from RG3 early in the game. Decent movement, smart decisions(sliding, throwing out of bounds). The problem was he seemed to forget about those strategies as the game went on, and the team got more desperate. The interceptions sucked, but the first was a weird fluke. The second was a good defensive play that could just have easily fallen incomplete. If he moved in the pocket the entire game and went through the progressions like he did early on, would have been much closer. But, not good enough by far.

I don't agree about this. I thought Griff really screwed that first INT up and it was all on him.

He drops back like a robot, oblivious to the fact that the RT is being speed rushed. In that instance, the only correct thing for the RT to do is to use the rusher's momentum to drive him behind RG3. Griffin stands rooted in the same spot and totally hangs his RT out to dry as he doesn't step up.

Then, when he finally realizes the RT is getting mauled into him, he awkwardly hopscotches out to his left. Once out of the pocket, with 8 yards of open field in front of him and enough time to properly look, find a receiver, and set for the throw, he does none of that. Instead, he throws off of his left foot across his body without setting the plant foot and while his legs are tangled from the most awkward running motion I've seen in ages. The pass is way, way, WAY to low because the footwork is improper. Paul tries to scoop it up to salvage the play and can't quite handle a Donovan McNabb worm killer.

You'll never convince me that play was on Paul.

The second interception I haven't rewatched yet. It looked live that it was just a great play by the D to tip the ball. I'll have to see if I think Robert failed to slide in the pocket to the open lane, but I didn't think that was the case. 

Agreed, there is a lack of trust.

Someone tried telling me yesterday that Kai missing two field goals had no effect on the game.

Score dictates what you do on offense. The fact that we were done allowed their defense to pass rush more, which totally threw off our team, who is ill equipped to handle any pressure beyond a 3 or 4 man rush.

No it totally changes the game, it would have been a tied game which changes the play calls. Even though you can argue that they were longer than they had to be because of penalty, and sacks both FG's should have been made. They weren't short or blocked because he had to kick them low because of distance, they were off to the right. When he misses that gave the Bucs offense good field position because they get the ball from the spot of the kick. I think they scored on the following drive of both misses if I remember correctly.

I don't agree about this. I thought Griff really screwed that first INT up and it was all on him.

He drops back like a robot, oblivious to the fact that the RT is being speed rushed. In that instance, the only correct thing for the RT to do is to use the rusher's momentum to drive him behind RG3. Griffin stands rooted in the same spot and totally hangs his RT out to dry as he doesn't step up.

Then, when he finally realizes the RT is getting mauled into him, he awkwardly hopscotches out to his left. Once out of the pocket, with 8 yards of open field in front of him and enough time to properly look, find a receiver, and set for the throw, he does none of that. Instead, he throws off of his left foot across his body without setting the plant foot and while his legs are tangled from the most awkward running motion I've seen in ages. The pass is way, way, WAY to low because the footwork is improper. Paul tries to scoop it up to salvage the play and can't quite handle a Donovan McNabb worm killer.

The second interception I haven't rewatched yet. It looked live that it was just a great play by the D to tip the ball. I'll have to see if I think Robert failed to slide in the pocket to the open lane, but I didn't think that was the case

Thanks for the play-by-play joke there. The last part is the only relevant part. A low throw that was bobbled up two times and backwards. Then it got intercepted.  A low throw for sure, but it was a fluke play. It was bobbled twice by Paul backwards and upwards.

No it totally changes the game, it would have been a tied game which changes the play calls. Even though you can argue that they were longer than they had to be because of penalty, and sacks both FG's should have been made. They weren't short or blocked because he had to kick them low because of distance, they were off to the right. When he misses that gave the Bucs offense good field position because they get the ball from the spot of the kick. I think they scored on the following drive of both misses if I remember correctly.

Agreed. The 50+ yarder is never a gimme, but a good kicker should make it most of the time.. The fact that both his kicks were atrociously to the right is on him.

The second interception I haven't rewatched yet. It looked live that it was just a great play by the D to tip the ball. I'll have to see if I think Robert failed to slide in the pocket to the open lane, but I didn't think that was the case. 

You should take a look at the first one again, it was a PA pass, the LB blitzed and came free. The RT never touched him, the guy is in his face as soon as he pulls the ball back, the only reason he didn't drill him was because he hesitated and then RG pumped faked him. No matter the throw the ball is in his hands, the fact that it was low is even better, he doesn't take a hit all he has to do is bring it in and go down and its 2nd 4 or 5, he tries to run before securing the catch.

Second pick, the LB walked up like he was blitzing and dropped into coverage and ran under the hot route and tipped it.

post-214981-0-44341300-1416241234_thumb.png

Any competent receiver makes that catch on the low throw.

If that ball just falls incomplete, we criticize griffin for the throw but we also say Paul should have caught it.

But because if the anti-Griffin sentiment and because the consequences are much more dire than just an Incomplete pass for some reason the blame seems to fall entirely on Griffin's shoulders for some reason.

Honestly I feel like the whole team concept is such an impossible concept for some of you to grasp.

See you say that out of one side of your mouth and out of the other you say "we'll get someone to help RG3".

I was behind starting RG3 against the Vikings for specifically the reason of evaluation.  But that doesn't mean I can't criticize.

I'm perfectly fine with your critique, noting is wrong with that at all honestly. The thing is we should all be wanting to go 3-13 so we can get the best draft pick possible. We need to start hitting on elite impact players in the draft that's the only way we'll get out of this 20 year coma of losing. The problem is we always lose enough games to be out of the playoffs and then win enough games to get a draft pick that doesn't yield elite impactful talent. 

Hopefully this year that changes and we get a top 5 draft pick and we're able to snag up talent at the top 5 spot or trade down and pick up more talent. Honestly the possibilities are endless in regards to trade back options or staying put if you're in the Top 3 or Top 5 in the draft. 

Leonard Williams DE

Randy Gregory DE

Shane Ray DE

Cedric Ogbuehi OT

Brandon Scherrf OT

Landon Collins S

Shaq Thompson OLB

Andreus Peat OT

La'EL Collings OT

AJ Cann OG

One of those players above has to be an elite NFL player the hope is that we can identify the right player and find a way to have him on our team. 

Dont agree with this..if you want a game manager you need a dominant D not just a solid...we are far far away from having that kind of D. But i think they need to make a decision on what they wanna build around. 

I used to be on the U MUST HAVE A FRANCHISE QB TO WIN train. But then you realize that Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Brees, as good as they've been, have won 4 combined titles since 2004 (when the Pats had top 5 defenses to back Brady up). Ben Roethlisberger has won 2, and those 2 were in really mediocre statistical seasons - when he puts up big numbers they actually tend to struggle.  Eli Manning has won 2. Joe Flacco has won 1. Russell Wilson has won 1. Friggin Kaepernick went to the Super Bowl and RGIII even now is better all things considered.

I honestly have to eat the crow and rethink the idea that nothing is more important than a franchise QB.

I honestly have to eat the crow and rethink the idea that nothing is more important than a franchise QB.

My thoughts exactly.  The way the NFL is set up now for passing, if you can pass block and have WR's with the ability to hold onto the ball (cough cough Golden Tate instead of Andre Roberts) then you WILL get people open more often then not.

Ok, Hawks line last year was pretty meh.

But your overall point is true.

It's not ideal or smart to try to win with a ****ty o line.

I want us to have killers on our o line but I'm not sure we have the proper talent evaluators in place. This whole thing runs deeper than RG3, O-Line, etc. We've been ****ing up player development/acquisition since Gibb 2.0 and we are seeing it on display.

It's sad

I used to be on the U MUST HAVE A FRANCHISE QB TO WIN train. But then you realize that Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Brees, as good as they've been, have won 4 combined titles since 2004 (when the Pats had top 5 defenses to back Brady up). Ben Roethlisberger has won 2, and those 2 were in really mediocre statistical seasons - when he puts up big numbers they actually tend to struggle.  Eli Manning has won 2. Joe Flacco has won 1. Russell Wilson has won 1. Friggin Kaepernick went to the Super Bowl and RGIII even now is better all things considered.

Well i think you need to make a choice...you either need a franchise QB or you need a ridiculous defense...whatever you wanna build im fine...

But what does Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Brees all have in common? They win games and those teams are always in contention....not like a bunch of those other teams that have won the superbowls. They always have a chance and you always know their teams are gonna be good.  

They make their lines and players better because they get rid of the ball in a hurry and most of the time already know where they are going with the ball before they even snap it. Its amazing to watch what they can do. But obviously those guys dont grow on trees.

Well i think you need to make a choice...you either need a franchise QB or you need a ridiculous defense...whatever you wanna build im fine...

But what does Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Brees all have in common? They win games and those teams are always in contention....not like a bunch of those other teams that have won the superbowls. They always have a chance and you always know their teams are gonna be good.  

They make their lines and players better because they get rid of the ball in a hurry and most of the time already know where they are going with the ball before they even snap it. Its amazing to watch what they can do. But obviously those guys dont grow on trees.

The other thing they have in common is more than 5 years in the same offense, Manning and Brady have like 10 + with the same concepts on offense. RG, year one so he should be thinking about what he should do instead of knowing, that only comes after doing it repeatedly against different looks. Out of the 3 QB's on the field he has the least experience at it. His on the field flaws are only fixed with time on the field but this is the wrong place for him. This is an impatient fan base and team, he should definitely move on when he has a chance.

When was the last time a team won the superbowl without having an above average O-line?

I will always be in the camp of building out from the trenches. That's why guys like Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer have rings. 

Green Bay is in first place with an atrocious OL. Your QB has to execute the system and throw the ball. He cant sit there for 4 seconds in a west coast system. The entire system is based on quick timing throws. Griffin cannot process what he is seeing fast enough for this offense YET. The jury is out on whether he ever will be able to.

When was the last time a team won the superbowl without having an above average O-line?

I will always be in the camp of building out from the trenches. That's why guys like Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer have rings. 

We draft lineman. We sign lineman. They just suck. 

We've invested in the O-line a decent bit. It's just that they all flat out suck ass.

That's the problem with this team. It just picks ****ty ass players.

We draft lineman. We sign lineman. They just suck. 

We've invested in the O-line a decent bit. It's just that they all flat out suck ass.

That's the problem with this team. It just picks ****ty ass players.

That's because we've had the same scouts for like 20 years and we've been a loser every year of those 20 :( lol

We drafted a QB prospect who many said was can't miss and we happened to ruin him in 3 years in true Washington DEADSKINS fashion, god I hate being a fan of this team sometimes. lol

Green Bay is in first place with an atrocious OL. Your QB has to execute the system and throw the ball. He cant sit there for 4 seconds in a west coast system. The entire system is based on quick timing throws. Griffin cannot process what he is seeing fast enough for this offense YET. The jury is out on whether he ever will be able to.

Green Bay has had a massive transformation over the past 2 years and they are really good now. 

That's because we've had the same scouts for like 20 years and we've been a loser every year of those 20 :( lol

We drafted a QB prospect who many said was can't miss and we happened to ruin him in 3 years in true Washington DEADSKINS fashion, god I hate being a fan of this team sometimes. lol

Sometimes?? lol

Try living in Philly and having to endure being blow Chip Kelly all day 

Sometimes?? lol

Try living in Philly and having to endure being blow Chip Kelly all day 

LMAOOOOO man I know it's tough out there because philly fans are BRUTAL!!!

But yea every year I tell myself "It can't get any worse than this" and every year they don't disappoint. lol

And to think we thought Jim Zorn's era was the lowest, boy were we wrong. lol 

Archived