Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our broken offense. A non-QB based discussion on why we stink.

StephenDavis

We shouldn't overlook the role of the O-line in the absence of a dominating running game. Even with the read option in play, the O-line is often getting manhandled on running plays. Morris sometimes needs to break ackles just to get to the line of scrimmage.

It sure seems like both Polumbus and Chester have declined as run blockers. And when Williams got nicked up, it's harder for Morris to run to the left side either. Moreover, I'm not too impressed by cohesiveness of the interior of the offensive line.

O-line coach Foerster has a lot of work to do, including developing all the young talent (LeRibeus, Compton, Long, Moses) he's in charge of. They're not first rounders but some are high middle-round picks.

Ok. I think it's important to put some things into perspective.

We have a first year head coach

We have a first year offensive coordinator

We have a quarterback who is a backup and getting his first real starting experience.

With those things being said, I think the answer nobody wants to hear us that it takes time. Yardage wise, our offense is going pretty well, but it's all our nothing right now. People talk about sink and dunk, but that's not really our offense under Kirk. We try it, but it doesn't work. Most of our pints with Kirk comes from big plays. Which is great, but it makes it harder when teams know you need to score, like st the end of games.

Right now we have to be a paying offense, partially because we're going against great defenses, I mean Houston, Seattle, and Arizona are really good defenses. Dallas just had a great game against Seattle, but Cousins ain't TRomo and that has an impact on how defenses play you. Right now Cousins has to prove that teams need to fear him. Not necessarily with the deep ball, but with the stuff yar Brunell, Campbell and RG3 did so well - the 20-30 yard pass. That's what Cooley was great for, what Reed was good for last year (and yesterday) and what Paul was doing well. But that takes patience because the qb and the wr have to find the soft spot in the zone and throw it to the right spot. Our has to find the mismatch in man and get it there.

But this ask takes time. I think a commitment to the run game is important but it's difficult right now because trans know that's our ace and their first goal of the week is to take away our ace card. Our oline, and any oline would rather run block than pass block, but foo you want to be Pittsburgh and run it 24 times when you're already down 20?

It just takes time.

I'm not reading everyone elses comments. OL, OL, OL... THAT IS THE REASON OUR OFFENSE SUCKS!

I've said in a few drafts we should take one draft and make 90% of our draft pics OL because we have no kind of depth or talent besides Trent.

I am not even kidding. Think that's stupid? Our success for the last 20 years says hello.

My biggest gripe is that I would also like to see us utilize the middle of the field a lot more than we have been.

This is exactly what I was referring to in my last post. Nice job with the stats, but it's a hole I want Cousins and RG3 to recognize more to beat the blitz. The thing is that until we start to make trans pay for blitzing us, they'll keep doing it.

Because the Redskins have the worse defense ever.  Because they are coached by someone who sucked last season?
Because the Redskins have the worse Special Teams in the league?  Personally, I don't care about the offense right now because the linemen are pathetic.  Polumbus gets shoved into the QB. Chester is a revolving door.  Etc etc. shoot me.

Non-QB reason.....

Well, Shanahan switched up all the big OL for smaller faster OL for his system, the zone blocking scheme. Gruden utilizes more of a power man to man blocking scheme. It was obvious he was not going to get all the OL he needed to run his system so he said he would utilize the zone blocking and spread offense, why? cause the OL was not set up for his system. They do ok against smaller DL but when faced with big DL like the Giants, Eagles, and Cards they struggle. 

We can't run the spread offense cause RG3 is not healthy but even when he is RG3 does not want to be a spread QB. RG3 wants to be a pocket passer which he is not. 

Reed was injured then Paul got a concussion. 

Their trying so hard to get the ball to Jackson they have ignored Garcon or he's double teamed, but other WRs have stepped up, ie; Roberts, and Robertson. 

The right side of the OL is the weakest link. Polumbus in the last tow games no only had the most penalties he got bull rushed and beat for a sack or two. If Polumbus is not getting the job done then I'd rather see Moses out there again to learn on the job. 

Now for the defense...... #1-Haslett should have been fired after last year. So at this point I'd fire him. I'd bring in Wade Phillips at whatever cost he wants as DC. See if he can fix what is wrong during the season. I might even give him a 1 or 2 year contract just to see if he can make a difference with one offseason. We know Haslett can't. 

and if we are the worst team again.... I'd draft OL, and DB's/Safeties. 

Watching the games the first thing i notice is the formations, i watched how dallass went three and four wide to spread the D. We run stacks and bunch formations allowing the D to stack the box. We run stretch plays where the TE is immediately pushed into the backfield. Morris is suppose to press the line until he finds a hole. There's no hole for him turn up into. When was the last time you saw a draw? Teams are loading up and beating our OL. How about a center screen? Same for the defensive side of the ball. What exactly is Haz trying to do? We were suppose to be a pressure D. All we see is a four man rush. There's never a reason for Orakpo or Kerrigan to be in coverage neither is reliable in coverage. How is Perry Riley in the starting line up after the skill set Will Compton showed against Arizona? This guy was flying around excelled in coverage. Had this guy been on the field against NYG I don't see us giving up those three first half TDs. Gotta question why this guy isn't on the field? Then today we're trying out more WRs. How about a competent OL or a game plan based around the talent and strengths of our roster.

When we were consistently good back in the '80s, we had arguably one of the best O lines ever in pro football. They were road graders who let us successfully run the ball 30+ times per game, which in turn opened up the play action passing game. The Hogs were also big enough to stand their ground on passing downs, as well. We won with that philosophy (along with some good defenses as well). Now, I think that way could be successful again, even though everybody will tell you the NFL is passing league. If we could draft some big, tough linemen (or even find a couple in FA) and run the ball well 20-25 times per game, that would help open the passing game. Morris has shown he can be a tough north-south runner who, while not Riggins, could fill that role. Then the pressure would be off KC.

So, short answer, we lack a big, tough O Line that can push people around AND give the QB time for more than a 3 step drop.

Of course, our HC is a former QB who is trying to live vicariously through his QBs and have them throw it 35-45 times per game (the way he wishes he could have had the opportunity to do in the NFL). CIncy fans know this.

Now that I'm emotionally over the loss, I just re-watched the Arizona game using Game Rewind (All-22, slow-mo, etc).  I expected to see Arizona loading up the box to stop Morris.  I also expected poor wide receiver blocking to be part of the problem, per John Keim.  Neither were true.

Arizona wasn't really loading up the box to stop Morris.  They didn't need to.  The running game didn't work because Tyler Polumbus and Niles Paul were terrible at the point of attack.  The interior were neither good nor bad.  Trent Williams is our only effective mauler.  For good measure, Polumbus was also brutal at pass pro.

If Cousins is having an issue with the collapsing pocket, why are we not calling rollouts, waggles, and boots to move him and/or the pocket?

Part of our problem is the head coach and the play calling.  He's trying to drive a square peg into a round hole.

We are calling them...

And they're effective, but Cousins is taking a lot of contact on them.

We have been talking about a change of pace back as a need, speedy etc and we dont have it.  Helu has had a few good plays but he's not running away from anyone and he does not have the elusiveness that that kind of a back needs to have.  It would add another dimension to the O but we just dont have anyone. Morris grinds out yards but teams know he's not going to take it the distance....easier for Defenses to handle. 

The O Line is terrible, but what really perplexes me is the thought of Moses not being able to beat out Tyler Polumbus. It seems to me that if you cannot beat out the worst RT in the NFL you shouldn't be on the team. At this point I do not see anything worse than not putting in a replacement for Polumbus and Chester for that matter.

Those young guys need game reps. There is no way in hell they are learning anything watching Polumbus get beat like a drum week in and week out.

Honestly, I must be sleeping (blissfully) through the games, because I can't remember the last KC bootleg or rollout.  Maybe his rollouts stay between the tackles?

I'm not liking what Gruden is bringing to the table offensively so far. He's force feeding our offense with what he wants to run rather than doing what the Shanahans did in 2012 and adapting the offense for success. The only thing I can figure is Gruden doesn't think he has any pressure to win now. I guess he knows he has 2 seasons at least no matter how bad we suck, so he's going to do it his way or the highway. Well guess what. He better start turning things around soon or he won't be here long. And no one is going to rush back to hire him as an OC if they see how ****ty of a job he did here in D.C. Bengal fans warned us and so far it's coming true. 

Archived