Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our broken offense. A non-QB based discussion on why we stink.

StephenDavis

Today more than any other game so far I noticed that our offense is 98% "dink and dunk". Not many plays stretching the field which is what you have to have in place to be successful in this league. We have no running game which makes play action useless. We used to be able to lean on Morris, and now he can't even pick up more than 3 yards on a play. I don't think it's his fault. The only thing I can figure is that teams don't respect any other aspect of our offense other than the running game so they just key in on stopping it. So really there is not one thing our offense can do consistently in order to sustain drives. We have small stretches when we're moving the ball easily and then all of a sudden nothing works. Is it play calling? Lack of in game adjustments? I thought bringing in D-Jax would stretch defenses and open up more running lanes for Morris. Our offense basically looks exactly like it did when Zorn was head coach. Not a good start at all for Gruden.

I think it's all about the trenches. You don't have a line that can keep the QB upright, but you also don't have a line that gives a QB confident that he can remain upright. 

When you get hit all the time, your first instinct is to want to get rid of the ball ASAP. 

You watch a guy like Manning... he's got all day. He's confident back there. He can go through his reads and still have time to throw the ball away if there's nothing there. He's not worried about his blindside or being bullrushed. It just doesn't happen. 

Today more than any other game so far I noticed that our offense is 98% "dink and dunk". Not many plays stretching the field which is what you have to have in place to be successful in this league. We have no running game which makes play action useless. We used to be able to lean on Morris, and now he can't even pick up more than 3 yards on a play. I don't think it's his fault. The only thing I can figure is that teams don't respect any other aspect of our offense other than the running game so they just key in on stopping it. So really there is not one thing our offense can do consistently in order to sustain drives. We have small stretches when we're moving the ball easily and then all of a sudden nothing works. Is it play calling? Lack of in game adjustments? I thought bringing in D-Jax would stretch defenses and open up more running lanes for Morris. Our offense basically looks exactly like it did when Zorn was head coach. Not a good start at all for Gruden.

Not trying to turn this into a QB thread but the lack of running game is in large part due to the guy behind center.

Teams are loading up the box because they don't respect Kirk's ability to consistently beat them deep.

I also root for the University of Maryland and their offense is having the exact same issue.   :(

Edit: The line is also an issue as well.

If this is referencing the Cardinals game, it was clear that (former Redskins Free Safety) Arizona D Coordinator Todd Bowles's strategy was to sell out to stop our Rushing Attack and blitz the crap outta The Skins on 3rd & Long.  Apparently, he believed that Kirk Cousins couldn't beat him. 

He was proven right.

If this is referencing the Cardinals game, it was clear that (former Redskins Free Safety) Arizona D Coordinator Todd Bowles's strategy was to sell out to stop our Rushing Attack and blitz the crap outta The Skins on 3rd & Long. Apparently, he believed that Kirk Cousins couldn't beat him.

He was proven right.

And believed our OL wouldn't provide any protection (same for RG3 btw just he is able to once in a while exploit it) and was proven right. It's been a consistently good approach lately

Was Morris really as good as he looked the past two years or was he just another product of the Shanahan's run game? We can all bad mouth Shanahan all day long, but there was never any denying that the mans teams could run the ball like nobody's business. I know the Skins are trying to run a lot of the same run scheme they ran under Shanahan, but it's clearly not the same run game.

Shanahan's system made some very ordinary backs look like world beaters and I can't help myself from thinking that maybe Morris might turn out to be another. To make matters worse for us, it looks like Kyle Shanahan is doing a pretty good job in Cleveland as their OC as our offense-- that has enough weapons to perform much better than they are-- continues to sputter and is already just playing out the season six games in.

And believed our OL wouldn't provide any protection (same for RG3 btw just he is able to once in a while exploit it) and was proven right. It's been a consistently good approach lately

Actually, the Offensive Line played well enough under the circumstances.  The Opponent kept sending more blitzers than could be blocked, becuase they didn't respect our Offense's ability to beat the blitz. 

Again, they were proven right.

Almo is good. He looked great the first two games with RG3 in there. 

Defenses are smart enough to realize that if Almo gets going the Redskins have a better chance to win. He is the key to this offense and even the most dense of D-coordinators realize that a Cousins-led offense can not beat them. 

It also helps that the Skins O-line is incapable of keeping a play going long enough to stretch the field so defenders are never too deep. Its hard to stop Almo in the first level but because it's usually a short field there isn't enough open field for Almo to bust out longer runs. Watch in the past how deep safeties would play. That's not the case now, same as when Grossman was running the show. Most defenses expected short passes so there was never any reason to play 10 yards deep. No one is scared of the deep pass because the O-line doesn't allow enough time for them to develop.

I think it's all about the trenches. You don't have a line that can keep the QB upright, but you also don't have a line that gives a QB confident that he can remain upright. 

When you get hit all the time, your first instinct is to want to get rid of the ball ASAP. 

You watch a guy like Manning... he's got all day. He's confident back there. He can go through his reads and still have time to throw the ball away if there's nothing there. He's not worried about his blindside or being bullrushed. It just doesn't happen. 

Outside of Trent, I don't think we have one real Elite talent on the OL.  Now I Hope that Moses eventually becomes elite, but he still needs seaoning.   Polumbus is a joke as RT, Compton or whoever subs isn;'t much better.  Chris Chester is too Old, etc.

The pocket immediately collapses with the snap of the ball. I see ZERO push from the interior of the line. How Morris or any RB is able to get any positive yards behind that line is a miracle in itself. A smashmouth straight ahead runner would be pushed back everytime. Morris is smart enough to be patient and wait for anything resembling a hole to develop. 

Anyone who has the nerve of bashing Morris clearly has no idea how an offense works. 

I'm more bewildered why Cousins is throwing an average of about 38 passes a game. That makes no sense to me. And you can't use the "they fell behind big early" excuse because at no point this year has the running game ever been established early in the game. 

Gruden's ego with what he did with Dalton means he's biting off more than he can chew with Cousins. He needs to get back to basics.

There doesn't seem to be a synergy between the talent and the coaching staff. We bring in a guy like Jackson to pair with Garcon and Roberts, legit downfield receiving talent, and we decide to do nothing but screens and 3 yard dinkers.

No reason why we shouldn't be going 4-5 wide and no huddle/hurry up and utilize our talent advantage at the skill positions. None of this bunch 5 guys together and throw into a crowd.

Utilize space.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with "dink and dunk" because dink and dunk is all a matter of how far the plays go once the ball catcher secures the ball.

Most WCO systems are based on shorter passes in space where the WR/TE/RB has YAC after the catch.  It is all about timing and running.

The TD pass to Jackson today was a prime example, that was more an example of a WCO than his other big TD passes, you get the ball to Jackson running a crossing pattern and then he is off to the races in space.

I think one of the issues with our team right now is the blocking on these short passes is awful.  The screen pass to Jackson today was the first one that has really produced a huge gain (I think Garcon actually had a few really good screen gains today too).  More times than not our blockers are being blown up and pushed backwards, so these quick passes that are meant to be in space, are being thrown/caught before there is any time for the guy to create separation. 

If you watch most games every week I think you will be surprised to see just how high a percentage of completed passes are dink and dunk regardless of the scheme on offense.  You need these high percentage completions in order to get defenses to alter the coverages which are usually all based on taking away bigger downfield plays.

General Points:

1. You can't turn the ball over four times an expect to win a game in the NFL it is not going to happen

2. As others have said the o-line outside of Trent has been awful the last two weeks both in run and pass coverage.

3. Receivers are still dropping balls that should be caught. 

4. Stupid penalties at key times. How many pre-snap penalties did we have on offense today? 

Dink and duck is west coast offense with most yards coming after the catch.. Why bring in Gruden if that's not what you want.

Exactly.  People don't know what offense he runs????  He dinks and dunks then throws a bomb.  That was what he did in Cinci.  The whole premise of the thread is dumb based on his background.

There doesn't seem to be a synergy between the talent and the coaching staff. We bring in a guy like Jackson to pair with Garcon and Roberts, legit downfield receiving talent, and we decide to do nothing but screens and 3 yard dinkers.

No reason why we shouldn't be going 4-5 wide and no huddle/hurry up and utilize our talent advantage at the skill positions. None of this bunch 5 guys together and throw into a crowd.

Utilize space.

This drives me nuts as well. You are telling me going shotgun spread with Garçon, Jackson, Roberts and Moss/Reed we can't create huge mismatches and move the ball? Especially if you have Griffin back there who can take off for 5-10 yards with the field spread out. Instead we want to go under center and have our poor line block. Yeah, makes sense to me.

oline cant block long enough for 7 step drops.

right side of the oline is completely terrible.

oline cannot create consistent pocket for whoever is behind center.

again without going full QB debate, its actually a credit to griffin to see how much more open defenses are forced to be when hes back there.  even when hes hobbled or injured, defenses are still scared that he might just take off.  no worry of that with kirk, and its a very nice thing to have for our offense (especially morris who is now getting squeezed).

dink and dunk is fine by the way, if you can draw a defense in and then kill them over top.  we draw defenses in, and get killed anytime we try anything that isnt dink and dunk because we cant block long enough to do it.  

The pocket immediately collapses with the snap of the ball. I see ZERO push from the interior of the line. How Morris or any RB is able to get any positive yards behind that line is a miracle in itself. A smashmouth straight ahead runner would be pushed back everytime. Morris is smart enough to be patient and wait for anything resembling a hole to develop.

Anyone who has the nerve of bashing Morris clearly has no idea how an offense works.

I'm more bewildered why Cousins is throwing an average of about 38 passes a game. That makes no sense to me. And you can't use the "they fell behind big early" excuse because at no point this year has the running game ever been established early in the game.

Gruden's ego with what he did with Dalton means he's biting off more than he can chew with Cousins. He needs to get back to basics.

Dalton is doing better than ever by passing less. Gruden was a QB and has that mentality, which would be fine if he was the head coach of the colts, but our o line is atrocious moving backwards and cousins isn't luck. If he wanted to be so pass heavy he needed to target o line who could pass protect. Part of the reason Cincinnati was happy gruden was gone was because he passed way too much and it got them embarrassed in the playoffs.

Peyton doesn't hold on to the ball he gets rid of it faster then anybody in the league. Also his line at the scrimmage game is light years ahead of anybody in the history of the league. If Peyton was the quarterback of this team they would have more then one win.

Archived