Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Game Day Coverage & Game Day Thread: Redskins at Cardnials

TK

I knew we would lose the moment Chester got in the way of Jackson which probably stopped a TD, and then Chester had a false start which put us on 1st and goal from the 15 yard line.

If Djax just cuts inside and stays he scores the TD. Not sure why he tried to go Barry Sanders on the defender with Chester right there. 

The time has come to start discussing the 2015 draft. We'll for sure have a top 5 pick and likely number 1 or 2 overall. Should we trade down for more picks or take the high pick? What are some big names we could be looking at for that 1st round pick which we thankfully have for 2015?

Also, I can't believe there are adults out there, many of them at least partially educated I'm sure, who honestly believe this Native American curse BS. If you do believe in the curse, why not ask Santa Claus for a counter-curse for Christmas? Or maybe you could have the tooth fairy leave one under your pillow. Better yet, why not go on a quest to find the counter curse yourself? I hear there's a magic lamp at the bottom of lake Loch Ness. If you can defeat the monster, you'll get the lamp and a genie will give you 3 wishes. Someone already found one genie back in 1982 I hear. You don't think it's a coincidence do you? 3 wishes = 3 Super Bowls.

I knew we would lose the moment Chester got in the way of Jackson which probably stopped a TD, and then Chester had a false start which put us on 1st and goal from the 15 yard line.

Sanchez had the butt fumble. Desean now owns the butt tackle.

Only a Redskin can get tackled 40 yards down field by his right guard's ass.

I don't understand you guys saying Roberts being down not called is just an excuse.  We are not good enough to overcome ref mistakes or was it a mistake?  Again they reversed a spot so instead of a first down it become 4th down and 3 inches but they couldn't reverse a very obvious non fumble?  I call BS.  Funny how since reviews have gone to NY we have lost 3 major ones when the replay shows it was on our favor (the non fumble yesterday, the Roberts catch called out of bounds and DJ non catch which was IMO the most laughable).

No we are not good enough to overcome claring mistakes from the refs and really if you go back to our season this year it comes down to a few plays a game that we endup losing (well maybe not the Giants).  Yesterday the catch by Roberts was a first down, up until that time we had zero turnovers.  To me that was a momentum changer.  it was very similar to Paulson fumbling deep in the 2nd quarter with the Giants. 

First two seasons....

Manning - 26 TD  28 INT  71.2 passer rating

Breese - 17 TD  16 INT  76.9 passer rating

Brady - 18 TD  12 INT   86.5 passer rating

Cousins  16 TD  15 INT  83.6 passer rating  (12 games played)

Right on schedule baby!

How many game winning drives did each QB have though?

Manning - 1

Brees - 4

Brady - 5

Cousins - 1*

(Cousins only Game Winning Drive came when RG3 got the team into the red zone on an injured leg).

yay...1 and done for jay...that would make me mad. we want stability with a coaching staff yet firing gruden after just 1 year goes against that.

The good thing is that firing Gruden is unlikely. He got a 5 year deal worth about 4 mil per season (much less than Shanny), but with $20 mil guaranteed. I don't know how Guarantees work with coaches, but I think Gruden knew how Snyder generally treats coaches and wanted some kind of a certainty that he wouldn't be fired for not having a quick turn around.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/report-grudens-contract-worth-over-20-million-guaranteed

The good thing is that firing Gruden is unlikely. He got a 5 year deal worth about 4 mil per season (much less than Shanny), but with $20 mil guaranteed. I don't know how Guarantees work with coaches, but I think Gruden knew how Snyder generally treats coaches and wanted some kind of a certainty that he wouldn't be fired for not having a quick turn around.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/report-grudens-contract-worth-over-20-million-guaranteed

I don't think Gruden deserves to be fired, he got dealt a pile of garbage.

I also don't think Gruden thought he needed 4 years from Snyder and wanted some kind of certainty.  Based on reports out from his brother, I think they both thought there was a good basis for a team here, now they realize it's a rebuild.  He never thought he couldn't turn it around quick.

Because the 6 point blitzkrieg offense in week one was so special...

keep harping on that. Against the Texans, we gained 30 yards or more on 7 of our 11 drives.

Against the Cardinals we got 30 yards on 6 of our 14 drives.

Against the Seahawks we got 30 yards on 3 of 12 drives.

Against NY we got 30 yards on 4 of 13 drives.

We're just not moving the ball with Cousins.

keep harping on that. Against the Texans, we gained 30 yards or more on 7 of our 11 drives.

Against the Cardinals we got 30 yards on 6 of our 14 drives.

Against the Seahawks we got 30 yards on 3 of 12 drives.

Against NY we got 30 yards on 4 of 13 drives.

We're just not moving the ball with Cousins.

30 yards is enough to flip field position, turn punts into FGs and turn FGs into TDs depending of course on where the drives start. That's a great stat, we have to improve here and consistently move the ball instead of the random deep shot followed by long periods of nothing

30 yards is enough to flip field position, turn punts into FGs and turn FGs into TDs depending of course on where the drives start. That's a great stat, we have to improve here and consistently move the ball instead of the random deep shot followed by long periods of nothing

Exactly!

I like that we can get the deep threat and quick TD. That's something we didn't have last year (or against Houston, except the Paul fumble), and one of the reasons I was in favor of bringing in Jackson (say what you want but Roberts is not anywhere near Jackson's level). But with Kirk we can do the quick TD, but not the slow time consuming drive. I don't know why other than that we haven't been doing it.

Turnovers are important, but we can win games without getting them. Just look at the Philly game. Look at the Seattle game. Look at the Arizona game. We were in all three games late, but couldn't move the ball to either reverse field position and help our defense, or move the ball to get into FG range to make it a tighter game. And that's something that's killing us.

Cousins did great in that one 4th quarter drive where he hit Garcon for the TD, but I just wish he was doing that more often.

The time has come to start discussing the 2015 draft. We'll for sure have a top 5 pick and likely number 1 or 2 overall. Should we trade down for more picks or take the high pick? What are some big names we could be looking at for that 1st round pick which we thankfully have for 2015?

Absolutely you trade down, no question.  We would be very much in the same situation St. Louis was when Griffin came out (oh the irony, lol).  Two top tier QBs coming out (Mariota and Winston) and our own oft-injured high draft pick QB on whom the jury is still out.  In fact, wouldn't it be hilarious if St. Louis of all teams trades up to our pick?   

I would rob some team blind.  We need major talent upgrades on both lines and secondary.  I'm pretty much all in on going full tank mode to be honest.  I think this team has enough talent to turn this thing around with one grade A draft and a good FA period.  

I just woke up from that fumble nightmare... And realized it was real... Ed Hochuli has to be the most overrated ref in the business

It was eye-opening to hear former official Mike Pereira openly mock Ed Hoculli when they cut to him during the broadcast yesterday.  He could barely keep from laughing after Eagle-Eye Ed declared that the original spot after Jordan Reed's catch was 6 inches off.  And then they cut to him after the Andre Roberts' "fumble" and he had a bemused, WTF demeanor... like "There goes Ed again."

The only way i see Gruden being fired is after next season. I like that he called out Bruce and Dan after the game that they need to help fix this issue. We keep recycling head coaches but we need to have an organizational identity.

Did he really call out boy wonder and Allen? If so? Awesome!

The only way i see Gruden being fired is after next season.  I like that he called out Bruce and Dan after the game that they need to help fix this issue.  We keep recycling head coaches but we need to have an organizational identity. 

he actually called them out? didnt watch the press conference, i'll have to watch it now

he actually called them out? didnt watch the press conference, i'll have to watch it now

yep.  After the game, he called out Dan and Bruce that everyone has a hand to improve this team.  Not so sure if Dan likes that and it could result in his firing.  He reminds me a little of Marty. 

yep. After the game, he called out Dan and Bruce that everyone has a hand to improve this team. Not so sure if Dan likes that and it could result in his firing. He reminds me a little of Marty.

Jay's finished if he called out lil Danny. Perhaps he already wants out of this mess? He could be pulling a Lane Kiffin or Mike Shanahan (2013) and is trying to get the boot.

Not far fetched, this is the worst franchise in professional sports.

Simple way to fix this is, get the 1st overall pick and trade it to a QB needy team and pray we come out with a ransom like the Rams got from us.

Also allow RGIII to play his game and stop trying to force him to be Andy Dalton. We need our offense to be explosive again like it was in 2012. 

Simple way to fix this is, get the 1st overall pick and trade it to a QB needy team and pray we come out with a ransom like the Rams got from us.

Also allow RGIII to play his game and stop trying to force him to be Andy Dalton. We need our offense to be explosive again like it was in 2012. 

THIS. would love to get a team to trade 2 1st rounders and 2nd to us to be able to draft Mariotta or Winston. Would be amazing. then we can use the 2 1st round picks on a potential pro-bowl offensive-lineman who can actually pass block/run block worth a **** just like Trent Williams does. add in a few safeties/cornerbacks to build a legit scary secondary, and then by 2017 we should be ready to make a run for consistent years in the playoffs.

THIS. would love to get a team to trade 2 1st rounders and 2nd to us to be able to draft Mariotta or Winston. Would be amazing. then we can use the 2 1st round picks on a potential pro-bowl offensive-lineman who can actually pass block/run block worth a **** just like Trent Williams does. add in a few safeties/cornerbacks to build a legit scary secondary, and then by 2017 we should be ready to make a run for consistent years in the playoffs.

Don't mean any harm man but I'm so glad GM's don't think like fans for the most part. And what exactly would Mariotta or Winston bring to the table? That would be amazingly stupid for the Redskins to draft a QB that soon after giving up so much to get one!

It's funny how many fans talk about how unstable this organization is with ownership/coaches etc etc etc yet it's the fans that encourage the same damn thing with letting players go without truly seeing what will happen over a 5 year period with ONE SET OF EVERYTHING!!! Build a stable damn organization for a change and at least allow the process to play out and see what the hell happens.

This revolving door spells LOSER in every sense of the word. That's why we will NEVER win with this mentality. Every 2-3 years lets get this or that and it fails miserably. Then you'll are ready to run them out of town for the next shiny little toy. Rinse and repeat over and over and over again.

Do yourself a favor, go and do a history check and see how many coaches, QB's and players have come and gone through Washington in the last 20 years. Then do the same with the Patriots, Packers, Steelers, Seahawks, Giants, Tampa Bay Bucs, and Ravens and tell me what you find out!!!

I'll start by telling you we've had 15 QB's since 1999............. New England has had 3 since 1993. I'll stop there.

Stability brings a winning culture. NOT this switching crap every 2 years.

Archived