Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it me, or has Alfred Morris been putting the ball on the ground a lot as of late?

RonArtest15

I like Alfred....great guy....good RB....getting great value out of a 6th round pick.

However.....

I would not keep him past this year...he's eligible for a new contract after this year.....he lacks speed, pass catching ability and has a fumbling problem.     I'm not paying him significant money.

I like Alfred....great guy....good RB....getting great value out of a 6th round pick.

However.....

I would not keep him past this year...he's eligible for a new contract after this year.....he lacks speed, pass catching ability and has a fumbling problem.     I'm not paying him significant money.

I figured this was coming at some point. The fans of this team are simply never satisfied. Fastest to 3,000 yards...who needs Ya?

IIRC Tiki (or someone else) simply carried a football around with him.

Presumed inviting anyone and everyone to try and take it away.

Maybe it seems like Morris has concerns because of a few close non fumble calls, like in week 1 down on the goal line. That could have been 3 turnovers inside the 10.

Tiki employed a, IMO, revolutionary grip. Had multiple points if contact and was held horizontally and in sternal region.

He said it took some getting used to, but he basically NEVER fumbled again. I think that technique would be great for AlMo. It sacrifices some speed. But just like Tiki, speed isn't his string point.

Definetely needs to be addressed. If I were RB coach...'Al, you're going to start to carry the ball differently'.

That really was an amazing turnaround. He went from one of the most fumble-prone running backs in the game to one of THE most sure-handed.  

And it was an odd looking grip... up high, more toward the middle of his chest.  And he mostly kept it there...

tumblr_lpe35bRSgQ1r0x8xoo1_500.jpg

Tiki was a better all-around back, though.  Alfred, to me, is one-dimensional.

When did RBs suddenly need to catch the ball to be a great back? Anyway you slice it, whether he's one-dimensional or not, Alfred is an absolute stud. In my mind he's clearly a top 5 back in this league.

When did RBs suddenly need to catch the ball to be a great back? Anyway you slice it, whether he's one-dimensional or not, Alfred is an absolute stud. In my mind he's clearly a top 5 back in this league.

Someone brought up Tiki Barber, and I made a comment.  Alf, in this Gruden offense, would be 10x as dynamic if he could be relied on to catch the rock out of the backfield.  Simple as that. 

I don't think he's top 5 becuase of the fumbling and that he's unreliable when it comes to catching passes out of the backfield.  RBs who I think are better (in no order)...Peterson, Shady, Forte, Charles, Lynch...you can certainly make a case for Alf, but I think he's in the same tier as someone like Demarco Murray...who you could easily make a case for being in the top-5.  It's all subjective anyways. 

What does that have to do with anything? The talk was about fumbling, is it an issue, and how can he fix it? Not "Is Alf better than guys who have been retired for close to a decade?"

Again, someone brought up Tiki and I made a comment.  Tiki had fumbling problems, like Alf, but I personally think there is more value in a guy like Tiki than there is with Morris because of the pass-catching dynamic.  If you're going to have fumbling problems and be somewhat one-dimensional, then you need to be of the Adrian Peterson "transcendent" ilk.  In today's NFL, RBs especially, are more replacable.  WHile I don't think Alf is in serious jeopardy of losing his job, he could end up losing some of his carries due to the fumbling.  Helu, for better or worse, is better at protecting the ball AND can do more out of the backfield.  Gruden loved Gio last year in Cincy and Gio phased out a guy like BenJarvis Green-Ellis...BJGE isn't as good as Alf, obviously, but I do wonder if there will be changes made if Alf can't be trusted to protecte the ball going forward. 

Again, someone brought up Tiki and I made a comment.

Again, he was brought up as someone who had similar issues and fixed them and not as a comparison of talent. I brought up Ahman Green's issues/his remedy and thankfully nobody did the same thing with mine.

Can we as sports fans seriously not turn every mention of a different player in conversation into OMG TIME TO RANK AND COMPARE!?

Again, he was brought up as someone who had similar issues and fixed them and not as a comparison of talent. I brought up Ahman Green's issues/his remedy and thankfully nobody did the same thing with mine.

Can we as sports fans seriously not turn every mention of a different player in conversation into OMG TIME TO RANK AND COMPARE!?

But is Joe Flacco elite?

So ignore the conversation.  Simple as that.  If you don't like it, keep it moving. 

But is Joe Flacco elite?

There's an even more important question out there being asked today.

http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/begelrodgersstillelite.html

ByOmFeVCUAEAQc9.png

So ignore the conversation.  Simple as that.  If you don't like it, keep it moving. 

I will from here on out, but best of luck to you on coming out on top in this fascinating and pertinent debate.

Based off of sportingcharts.com, Morris has had 10 fumbles, 7 lost in his career thus far.  This is compiled before this past week's games I believe, so it would bump it up to 11 fumbles, 7 lost, I think.  I don't know how accurate this is, but it's the only thing I've been able to find that lists fumbles and fumbles lost.

2012: 4 fumbles, 3 lost

2013: 5 fumbles, 4 lost

2014: 1 fumble, 0 lost

The rankings for each year, which includes all positions:

2012:  47th

2013:  28th

2014:  80th

I'm not hanging my hat on sportingcharts.com, but it's a reference point at least.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/most-fumbles-and-fumbles-lost/2014/

Based off of those stats, though, I'm not sure if the fumbling is as bad as the perception of the fumbling.  But, I'd still encourage him to work on his technique.

I don't consider AlMo a fumbler.  And if he indeed does have that rep, the production he's given us FAR outweighs any issues that the occasional fumble brings.  I would remind the jury that The Washington Redskins have had an Elite Rushing Attack ever since he's shown up (and for the record, Roy Helu was here 1st).  

Alfred reminds me of that Denzel line from Remember the Titans "Just like novocaine.  Give it time, always works."

This is a matter of simple cost/benefit analysis: are The Redskins better off with him, or without him?

Think about it.

Archived