Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GHH's Observations: The Good, The Bad and The 'Well Hell. We Got Ourselves a Football Team Again!' W3: Punch-up in Philly.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Having slept on it (and woken frustrated at a few things), let's get straight into Week 3's musings. Another long read but so long as the majority appreciate it I'll  continue to take the time to add my thoughts such as they are:

The Good.

Kirk Cousins. Way to fully introduce yourself in your first meaningful game in a hostile road environment young man with the FOURTH highest passing yardage game from a Redskin QB in our rich history. 30 of 48 for 427 yards and 3 TD's; leading the team on 6 scoring drives totalling 34 points. All in only your 5th pro start and 10th slice of pro action. Yes, there where negatives from Captain Kirk yesterday (more on those later); but the positives FAR outweighed the negatives in VERY good display. He was decisive with the football and in good rhythm, knowing exactly where he was going with the rock as soon as he stepped up to the line. And when that option was taken away, he did a great job of going through his progressions to find the open guy. He tailed off some second half after an almost perfect first half (5 possessions garnering 4 scores and an end of half kneel down/ 188 yards and 2 TD's with a near perfect 7 for 9 off third downs); but overall another VERY encouraging display.

I tempered my hopes last week given the level of opposition and them game planning for a different QB. This week he did it on the road in one of the most hostile environments the NFL has to offer in a very chippy Divisional game. And did it well. A LOT to like from the composure Cousins displayed in smoothly running the O.

Offensive Playmakers. It's great to have you back:

Pierre Garcon showed yet again that he's RIGHT up there with the top guys at the position in this league. He made some outstanding catches in putting up 11 receptions for 138 yards and a TD. A few off some wayward passes he made excellent adjustments to pull in. You aren't going to get perfect passes every time no matter WHO the QB is out there. But the great ones do what it takes to haul the ball in. And Pierre is WELL on his way to that status in Redskins lore. His relentless blocking continues to have my utmost respect and admiration too. Exemplified by a terrific downfield block that sprung Helu on the last scoring drive screen to keep us in the game.

DeSean Jackson. Way to TOTALLY silence the boo boys on that deep 81 yard TD over the middle. 5 receptions for 117 yards and a TD. That's what we paid the big bucks for and the mere threat his speed brings takes things away from Pierre and vice versa as they both compliment each other greatly. Kirk must be licking his chops with those two flying going forward.

Darrel Young. The single best FB currently playing in football for me bar NONE. Aside from his selfless, stellar blocking for The Butler, just how many more FB's could take a quick 4 yard out and beat a solid vet. corner like Bradley Fletcher for a TD? His 6th receiving TD of 11 career total TD's and FOURTH against the Eagles, He's just LOVES beating up on Philthy. Loving the way Gruden is finding ways to get him involved in the offense. (So much for Jay NOT liking FB's.). Dudes a VERY useful weapon in our arsenal.   

O-Line pass protection. Zero sacks and ZERO QB hits. Now even given the Eagles D-line injuries, that's a MASSIVE turnaround for the (rightly) maligned group. Kirk had a clean pocket most all day long which in a divisional game he dropped back 48 times in was a fantastic effort from the front 5.

The second half D. BIG improvement from their woeful first half showing holding the Eagles to just 16 points (1 TD) and 177 total yards, getting them off the field a fantastic 7 times on third down. (Philly was 2 of 9.).  Hopefully that momentum carries over into Thursday's MUST WIN game against Mara's set of pricks from Jersey.

Special mention for Alfred Morris. Although his stat line wasn't great (23 rushes for 77 yards/ 3.3 Yrd. Av. with a long of 12); he did that with virtually NO help from the schizzo line that this week remembered how to pass protect but totally forgot how to run block. MANY of those 23 touches should of been a loss in our backfield that The Butler turned into a positive play. I keep on saying it but he's the best RB I've EVER seen after contact. Alfred is one tough SOB who just DOESN'T go down on first contact. Tremendously gutsy effort as per from # 46.

The Bad.

Injuries. Man alive these are starting to stack up. And MAJOR ones too. After the loss of 10 last week for as good as the season, we now lose not only DHall for the year (yet another crucial veteran leader lost after Cofield going down for half the year at least), but Jason Hatcher, the undisputed MVP of the team thus far IMO, to a hammy putting him in serious doubt for Thursday's must win game. That's the worse injury of the lot to me by FAR. This D goes as the Hatchet Man goes. We've not had the constant pressure he gives since Big Dave Butz for me which is as high a compliment as I can pay him. When he's not in there, it's like night and day and we have little to no relevant D again. He's THAT good. The worry is he's now already missed time in 2 out of 3 games, all coming off the knee surgery in the summer. Is his 32 year old body finally beginning to breakdown in his 9th punishing NFL season? One can only pray not as he's the single most important player on this team IMHO already. And Lauvao going down for the second straight week with his knee has to be a big concern going forward too.

This much lorded new depth will be certainly tested to the full the next couple of months.

Kirk Cousins. As much as the good FAR outweighed the bad as previously mentioned, I'd be remiss to not mention the negatives. Until I hear different, and nobody thus far from the team has said anything to the contrary about Paul running the wrong route, the INT was a real poor overthrow that just CAN'T happen at that crucial stage. And to then have the ball on the Eagles 41 down 3 inside the last two minutes and fail to gain a single yard with at the least overtime on the line was criminal. And 3 of those plays were passing plays culminating in the poor underthrow of a wide open Garcon on 4th down. Such a shame because no word of a lie, if Kirk had pulled the win off we'd be sat here now talking about arguably the greatest ever performance from a Redskins QB in history.

You had a GREAT game overall Kirk. But you're now the starting QB of the Washington Redskins. And EVERYTHING, rightly or wrongly, falls on YOU! We roll how YOU roll. He'll learn from yesterday, but he HAS to get the job done and finish things off with the W if he's to have ANY chance of taking the job full time.

O-line and the run game. As good as they were as noted above in pass pro, where the Hell did the run game go? We couldn't block for **** yesterday. All against an injury hit Eagles front. Seriously, we have the most schizophrenic line in the history of football. I have no qualms feeling on safe ground in that claim. You couldn't make it up if you tried.

The first half defense. In contrast to their second half improvement, we were abysmally bad on defense the first half. The Redskins held the ball for 22:54 of the 30 first half minutes yesterday. Yet in the 7;06 the Eagles had possession, they scored two TD's off drives of 80 and 64 yards respectively (both totalling 8 plays); had another long TD brought back for a boneheaded downfield block in the back by their centre (and just HOW did Macklin go 80 yards for the score to start with off of a 5 yard hitch?!); and had another sure TD mercifully saved by a fantastic strip by Breeland (and boy are we going to need you to continue to step up young man now DHall's done for the year) on Sproles who was streaking clear through the middle. We can't expect to start SO slow, give up SO much, and still win the darn ball game.

Which leads us to the man running the show on that side of the ball .....

Jim Haslett. Now, I actually liked the premise of the defensive gameplan yesterday in taking away the Eagles natural short game and challenging Foles to beat us deep and putting the trust in our line and secondary. (And can we stop with the nonsense about Foles being a bad QB already? He was exceptional yesterday as he showed once again he's a legit starter in this league.). And that part worked to perfection. (We held McCoy, Sproles and Ertz to 86 combined yards. Shady only registered 22 yards on 19 caries which is a phenomenal effort.). But when you both play such soft coverage and only rush 4 to ZERO effect it all falls apart. Foles dropped back 42 times yesterday. And he was touched TWO times. Never mind no sacks. We only hit him TWICE ALL GAME. And this was Nick Foles playing behind an O-line missing two starters going in, and which lost it's centre and stud RT through the game. So much for the fearsome pass rush. Take away last week's game for the ages against the worst team in football and Chad Henne, we have ZERO sacks the other two games. (Orakpo and Kerrigan HAVE to step up regardless and get the job done against second tier opposition. NO excuses for either yesterday in not getting to Foles.).

And this is Haslett with his own staff, improved personnel and FULL defensive autonomy is it? He has EVERYTHING in place to run the best D we've seen in years in DC yet we continue to get this.

He is what we always knew he was. An uninventive, career average complete fraud of a DC who can only beat up on the weakest of weak teams like the Jaguars. Please Lord let this be his LAST season in DC.

Talking of ..... Brandon Merriweather. Or was it Rambo in disguise out there? Hard to tell as he completely whiffed on a tackle on the kick return TD, and completely lost Macklin on his 27 yard TD over the middle when he had the inside to start with. Throw in the continued boneheaded penalties and next offseason and the draft/ FA can't get here soon enough to finally see the back of this chump.

And just WTF did Baker think he was doing on the ejection? This B/S about it being a legit hit and the QB being a fair game defender/ tackler at that point is just that. B/S. Many won't agree but go watch it again. Not only had Breeland fallen to the ground already, Foles was CLEARLY letting up at the conclusion of the play. It was a nasty cheap shot that cost us a valuable player. And for me it appeared born out of retribution for the dead play non call hit on Kirk. I'd fine Chris all we can to drum it home that this indiscipline just CAN'T prevail if we're to win games and compete in this league. Ridiculous 92. Totally ridiculous. Learn to control the red mist for Petes sake.

Which leads us onto the continued problem of the Redskins indiscipline. Yesterday we racked up another 10 total penalties for 131 yards. Which has us set in an inglorious 4th worst league wide with 28 for 299 yards through 3 games in 2014. This HAS to end ASAP. You can't expect to win games in this league when you continue to give up such cheap yardage. Often at crucial times on such boneheaded personal mistakes. (The stupid Murphy late hit on Foles and the Davis horsecollar, which could well of been a face mask as well, to start the Eagles first FG drive of the second half spring instantly to mind.). Ridiculous and completely unprofessional.

Talking of ......

The Washington Redskins Special Teams.

'Special Forces' Coach Kotwica? More like the Special Bus Crew. Yet again, teams cost us MASSIVELY in a close game and arguably the win. As if the kick return TD wasn't bad enough (non existent tackling and NO back end cover); we then compound it with repeated dumbass penalties on subsequent returns, and our speciality, the missed kick. Seriously Kai? You've just come off a career high 18 straight FG's, with confidence SKY high, and you miss a chip shot that NO kicker worth his salt should EVER miss in a 3 point game?

No matter the Coach or personnel, this part of our football team just lurches from one disaster to the next, season in, season out. The only saving grace I can take is Gruden is sounding more and more pissed by the week with them in his presser so I expect heads to roll sooner rather than later.

Officiating. For the third straight week, we have some abysmal officiating calls. The PI on Keenan was questionable enough, but the one that really sticks it is Kirk getting levelled on a dead delay of game play after the play clock had run down. Just HOW was that NOT a PF? And it lead to the very ugly scenes that followed through the brawl.

The 'Well Hell. We Got Ourselves a Football Team Again!'

For all the above, one thing that we do now know after yesterdays first big test of this new regime, on the road at not only a divisional rival, but arguably the best team in the NFC outside of Seattle when fully healthy; is we are a GOOD football team again.

Don't get me wrong, there's still a LONG way to go to get back to the consistent level we so crave to be at; but the overall signs are REAL positive. But for the same boneheaded mistakes, not least on teams, we win yesterday. As we SHOULD of won against Houston but for the same. And that would of been a MASSIVE achievement given all we overcame through the game. To still be hanging with the Eagles down 3 on their 41 with 2 minutes and change to go ..... SO frustrating and this one REALLY smarts knowing we should of won.

Yeah, I know, 'coulda', sholda' woulda', the story of the Redskins you're all sick to the back teeth of hearing as am I dear reader. But the resiliency and fight within this team in the face of all the adversity yesterday gives one genuine optimism going forward for the first time in like forever. And we have not only a HC who doesn't shy away from the bad, he knows offense and then some huh? It's gonna' be a blast watching his side of the ball going forward. As soon as we cut out the dumbass mistakes and penalty's (and if they don't they won't even BE here under Gruden. I'm convinced of that. This dude is no-nonsense personified. You get in the way of him winning and you'll PAY the price) we'll be rolling.

It's highly frustrating at present and still a process we have to suffer through to get back to where we belong. But that light at the end of the LONG tunnel is beginning to glimmer brighter than it has in a LONG time. There's genuine hope and optimism that we once again have a football team which hasn't been around in I don't know when.

Here's to finally cutting out the self inflicted mistakes that are costing us dear on Thursday in a MUST WIN (if we want to achieve anything this season) game against Jersey's not so finest bunch of low life cheats.

As always, feel free to add at your leisure.

Hail.

Good (personal) write up as usual.  But not sure where you are getting the "Foles was only hit twice".  He was never sacked but the "D" hit him hard and often.  Double digit hits no doubt!

Thanks man. Appreciated.

He may of appeared to of been, but 'officially' we registered two QB hits (Baker and Orakpo) all game yesterday.

Hail.

Just like in 2012 with the 3-6 start this team has to learn how to win football games against good teams. I believe we will get there. 

Agreed. But we're a MUCH better rounded team than 2 years ago, both in personnel and Coaching, and we won't have to rely on a ridiculously good rookie year from one man to pull us through to get there.

Hail.

Great write up. I disagree that Hatcher is the biggest loss, D. Hall is the one consistent on an inconsistent unit, sans maybe Clark. But still you can't afford to lose your best corner for the year, Hatch will be gone if any time, very little. 

I think the hit on Foles while a cheap shot had been covered on the change of possession rule and the QB's being now blockers, seems like the Eagles got the best of us on the QB cheap shot exchange. Clearly Kirk was standing still, ball down and stopped motion, whistle blew, the whistle had not blown on the Foles cheap shot. 

Good (personal) write up as usual.  But not sure where you are getting the "Foles was only hit twice".  He was never sacked but the "D" hit him hard and often.  Double digit hits no doubt!

Yeah, Foles took it like a man in that game.  The hits he did take were pretty solid.  It just wasn't consistent.  

When Cousins came in the game last week, Garcon was quiet; thie week, Garcon got much more attention. This is from getting reps with starters. I'd say that in a few more weeks, we'll be seeing a different Cousins; QB/WR communication is something that takes a little time to get, but the little subtle gestures a WR makes, the QB sees, then its all a slower game to the QB.

Gotta admit, I liked the deep ball to DJax; he doesn't have Griffin's arm strength, but that was a thing of beauty, just dropped it right in there.

Now the ST players should be shuttled on a short bus, just to humiliate them. Discipline is most of that job, and maybe they're trying too hard to make a stop that they're over-shooting their responsibilities. They've caught alot of flack, and deservedly so, but if they just do their own job, things will begin improving.  Simply trying too hard and losing focus.

Could not agree more on Haslett. This is why many here groaned when word of him staying on with Gruden fell.

Unlike yourself, I was frustrated with the gameplan from the outset. It was clear to me early, and obviously to Kelly and the Philly O staff that Haslett intended to play a softer zone, and only rush 4 all game. Zero adjustments for the most part.

Our secondary is not the greatest in coverage, and they need pressure to be effective. Not enough yesterday. I was also stumped as to why Haslett did not mix in some blitzes and pres man coverages. IMO, the way to beat this offense is to mix up coverage and play calls and get Foles thinking enough to make mistakes. Sit back and try to keep stuff in front of you and Kelly will rip you apart. Take away their screen game and dump offs and he'll slice you up with intermediate shots in the open zones. You must change things up to keep them guessing as well...but, this is Haslett after all.

I think our defense can be solid in spite of him.

Oh yeah, and ZERO sacks in 2 of 3 games is unacceptable.

Good

Haslett took away their RB's. They dominated in the previous week and those 2 punks HAD to be addressed head on.

Haslett less Hall was struggling vs their powerful O, but the D had many key stops late to give Cousins a chance to win it. Haz gets a passing grade from me today. Some games are shootouts, learn it, live it, know it. Philly is a force on O. They get paid too.

Cousins. Dominated in the first half. Quick Trigger finger in the 2nd half. He had a pocket and overall made em pay. Grade: B.

Rak at LE Unleashed/Fingerless. Instant hit on Foles.  Why Haslett needs injuries to try basic things such as moving around his pass rushers is a head scratcher.

Garcon and DJax. Nuff Said.

Morris - bulling through tacklers.

Pass Protection.  LeRib!

Baker making a statement to the team, that we had KC's back. 

Bad

Haslett didn't blitz quite enough.  Note: I am sure Chippy and Foiles had a dump off planned for that, but in the end, they scored anyways. He put his faith in the front 4 getting there against a wounded OL, but it wasn't enough to stop Foles.

Haslett needed to roll the dice in the red zone goal to go, and blitz / tight man. Zone + No Pressure = TD. I hate that.

Teams. Anyone know where I can short them next week? Nevermind, I am sure the books are all over it and it won't pay squat.

No Discipline / Penalties - SSDD. How DJax drew that personal foul in the first quarter was a thing of magic.

Gruden had a pocket for Cousins, and should have taken more shots deep. It's rare that our OL can hold up like that. When the special teams fail, he simply needs to roll the dice and ramp up trying to score moar. It's not all on the D to make up for our woeful teams.

BMerri - tough first game back.

Run Blocking - it was tough sledding for both sides, though.

Morris fumbled. Again. I know he is on pace with all the other backs, or whatever stats were thrown at me when I was talking about it in camp, but still.  Helu with only 1 or 2 touches?

Kai. I wanted change and was happy we took Hocker. Hocker was cut after a miss. Just like Kai's.

Meh

Coaching. Eventually Gruden needs to do something about his teams. It is on him to fix it. Settling for FGs on 4th and 1 needs to be thought about long and hard going forward, especially in shootouts. I thought he could have done a little better with play calling.  Their DL was getting no pressure. The playbook was wide open. His players seem undisciplined - I think we average 10 penalties per game.

Once again, GHH, your write up is on point. I thought we played well for most of the game. Kirk did an outstanding job outside of the obvious ones. We had tons of offensive yardage..owned TOP...those don't mean diddly if we don't get the W. We stayed closer than I thought we would and I think the game was planned well...we fell short once again..and now all of Philly-land thinks they're going to the SB! UGH!

Meh

Coaching. Eventually Gruden needs to do something about his teams. It is on him to fix it. Settling for FGs on 4th and 1 needs to be thought about long and hard going forward, especially in shootouts. I thought he could have done a little better with play calling.  Their DL was getting no pressure. The playbook was wide open. His players seen undisciplined - I think we average 10 penalties per game.

Where do you stand on him overall man this early in his embryonic pro HC career?

Got to say I'm personally highly impressed by both some of the invention we've been crying out for on offense and the way he handles the ,media and doesn't shy away from anything., No excuses. We're bad, he says we're bad. But he doesn't go out to destroy his players in public whilst still letting it be known he's not happy. No doubt he does behind closed doors the way it should be. You really want to go out and lay your body on the line for a Coach that has your back like that on Sundays ya' know? And he seems a quick learner from his own mistakes.

All in all I've been pretty impressed with the way he's handled the step up to the big gig.

Hail.

The Good.

The second half D. BIG improvement from their woeful first half showing holding the Eagles to just 6 points and 177 total yards, getting them off the field a fantastic 2 of 9 times on third down.

The Bad.

Foles dropped back 42 times yesterday. And he was touched TWO times. Never mind no sacks. We only hit him TWICE ALL GAME.

??? What? lol

Both of these are either jokes I didn't get or woefully incorrect.

The Skins defense didn't hold the Eagles to 6 points in the 2nd half.

Getting the Eagles' offense off the field on 3rd down 2 of 9 times is most definitely not "fantastic".

Foles got hit FAR more than just 2 times.

??? What? lol

Both of these are either jokes I didn't get or woefully incorrect.

The Skins defense didn't hold the Eagles to 6 points in the 2nd half.

Getting the Eagles' offense off the field on 3rd down 2 of 9 times is most definitely not "fantastic".

Foles got hit FAR more than just 2 times.

Shoot. I was so wrapped up there I was stuck in the third quarter. Or did I just typo a missed 1? Shrugs, apologies, 16 points. Only 1 TD. My bad.

And that must of read wrong. The Eagles completed only 2 of 9 third downs the second half. So we got them, off 7 times on third down was what I meant.

And again, officially, surprising as it may seem, we registered 2 QB hits on Foles. That's what's in the books. We didn't remotely start to get pressure on Foles until late on when Haslet was forced to switch Orakpo and Kerrigan due to 98's hand injury from what I remember.

Amendments made.

Hail.

Excellent read!!! 

I thought Foles was battered and bruised by a very physical defense in the second half.  I thought Foles did a great job of avoiding the pass rush much of the day.  I didn't feel like he was given all day to throw at any time.  He successfully improvised quite a bit, which is what good QBs do. 

Hatcher is very good, but the best defensive player is still TBD IMO. 

Regardless, I agree with 95%!!!

As I did last week, I'm going to go in reverse:

The Ugly:

- Special Teams.  Again.  The defense held the Eagles to 30 points.  The ST gave them a gift-wrapped 7 points on horrendous kickoff coverage.  And they missed a 33 yard figgie.  What was the margin of victory?  3 points?  Really?  So when you spot the opponent 7 points and take 3 off your board, you get a 10 point swing.  This is not to say that if the 'Skins had covered the kick the Eagles would not have scored anyway.  But they would have had to work harder for it. And the Defense did make several stops and cause a turnover, so it's far from a sure thing.  They get the seriously ugly award for the week.  This is 2 out of 3 weeks when they occupy the top spot in the Ugly list.

- The injuries.  Losing Hall is going to be a blow to the secondary, that really was counting on him being back there.  He's a veteran presence.  Until somebody tells me I need to be worried about Orakpo's middle finger, I'm not going to. Hatcher said he was fine, came out for precautionary reasons.  The other injury to watch is Kory L. if he's out, Chester slides to C, and Ribbs comes in at LG.  I don't really remember how much Ribs played yesterday, but I do remember watching them try to run left a few times, and it was completely stuffed.

- The scuffle.  That was ugly.  Doesn't matter who's fault it is, you can't get into a scuffle like that.  (You can't get beat up either, you've got to protect yourself.)  I don't think that Baker's hit was even remotely a penalty, let alone an ejectable offense.  But regardless, the whole thing was just ugly.

- The officiating.  I'm about the last one to complain about the officiating.  But it was just awful.  And while it cut awful both ways, I think it was slanted pretty heavily to awful for the 'Skins. The Baker ejection was a travesty of justice.  The PI on Ernst was on-existent.  Barely touched him.  The Eagles were holding our DL tighter than most people do when they are having sexual relations.  It was ugly all the way around.  

The Bad.

- The running game.  I'm not sure exactly why, but it sputtered all day long.  Morris was fine, but he was having to break 4 tackles just to get to the LOS.  The run blocking was as poor as I've seen it since Spurrier.  That was not a good effort by those guys. 

- The end of the game play calling/execution.  I think Gruden got jumpy and called some bad plays when they were at the 41.  They had all the time in the world, the 2 min warning and 3 TOs.  They ran on 1st down, which hadn't been working all game.  Maybe a draw or something would have been ok, but that play was not great. I know the theory, that they only had one play before the 2 min warning, so they could use any play they wanted. They should have tested the middle more.  Cousins also seemingly got a little jumpy and wasn't planting and throwing as well, and his accuracy disappeared a little bit.  

The Good.  

- I'm going to start with one that is not going to be popular.  The defense.  they did enough to win this game, and that's their job.  They stopped a drive in the first half by creating a turnover. They limited McCoy and Sproles to basically nothing, they forced several punts in the second half, and most importantly, they came up with the stop when they needed it, and got the ball back to the offense at the  Eagles 41 with 2:20 to go.  I'll take that effort every week.  The Eagles are a really good offense, they get paid, and they made some plays.  FWIW, the 'Skins outscored the Eagles offense vs. defense 34-30.  I give Haslett a very good grade for taking away their best players, and forcing other players to beat them.  And if the Offense sticks it in on the last drive, the plan worked to perfection. 

- Cousins. Played a really, really good game.  Was quick and decisive with the ball.  Made a lot of really good throws. I give him a B+.  The only thing keeping him from an A is the INT. Every QB throws an INT every now and then.  But that one was really bad.  

- Garcon/DJax/Roberts/Swiss Army Niles. Good group of pass catchers.  They showed up and played well.  Special shout out to DJax, who definitely was gutting it out.  

- Morris.  I debated putting him in here, but he got ~70 yards.  And I think every one of those but maybe 10 were yards after contact.  He's a beast.  

I agree with almost the entire post sans the part about hitting Foles and Haslett.

There was a stat shown when Foles reached 40 drop backs that said he'd been hit 10 times and I think knocked down 7 or 8. Kerrigan and orakpo were all over him yesterday. Foles did an excellent job standing tall and getting rid of it just before we got home.

The defense didn't blitz because it would have exposed us to tier deadly screen game. Foles showed his ability to get rid of the ball just in time. It was bad enough as it was imagine us blitzing and him screening to McCoy/Sprolea all day just in time with no one but Merriweather to beat.

It is very frustrating but when you play the best offense in the league you have to pick your poison. We did and I think it was the right call. We pressured Foles almost all day. Time and again we knocked the guy down - orakpo and Kerrigan high/lowed him the one time. He really impressed me getting up over and again. Don't discredit that orakpo and Kerrigan were also getting a lot of good pressure going against Jason peters who is still a top 3 tackle if not the best in the league.

And I didn't like the cheap shot from

Baker. Regardless of how the rule is written that fits my definition of unsportsmanlike conduct. Losing him to an ejection also was painful to a team already decimated by injuries. Thank God Kearse was able to return after an injury - he made another very nice play on McCoy after orakpo forced him back inside. Shed his block and took McCoy down by himself.

Shoot. I was so wrapped up there I was stuck in the third quarter. 16 points. Only 1 TD. My bad.

And that must of read wrong. The Eagles completed only 2 of 9 third downs the second half. So we got them, off 7 times on third down was what I meant.

Well that's better lol...

And again, officially, surprising as it may seem, we registered 2 QB hits on Foles. That's what's in the books. We didn't remotely start to get pressure on Foles until late on when Haslet was forced to switch Orakpo and Kerrigan due to 98's hand injury from what I remember.

Amendments made.

Hail.

stat.jpg

Not sure what book you're reading, but it needs to be revised.

On the injuries... we didn't have too many last year.  We had a bunch in 2012.

Obviously there is a talent drop-off when a man goes down, but it CAN do two things in my opinion...

1)  Give a young upstart a chance

2)  Bring a team together to work harder/get more creative

Hopefully we see both, cause we'll need it.

Archived