Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Game Day Thread: #Redskins at Iggles

JimmiJo

Aside from a handful of bad throws by Cousins that turned out to be very costly, the reality is is that he isn't going to play any better than he did today...and we still lost. The special teams unit, both players and coaches, should be ashamed of themselves for costing us this game. Obviously, the kickoff return by Folk, who looks like a linebacker but still outran our guys, was huge for them and Forbaths miss from 33 yds. was as pathetic as it was costly. But what about the return to their 40 on the kickoff right after we went up 20-14 with 1:10 until the half? That set them up in great field position with 3 timeouts left and the TD they ending up scoring with 9 seconds left until half was a back breaker for us.

Later in the game, Sproles was gone on a punt return, but one of our guys dove at his feet to get a fingernail on his shoelace to barely trip him up, otherwise he goes the distance. Our special teams was horrendous and it's just really disappointing-- to say the least-- to continuously lose games by beating ourselves in some form or fashion.

A top tier, franchise QB makes the game winning play with time running out.  Kirk had a great game- but in the end, he is what he is. And he ain't III

Yes, III wouldn't do that against the Eagles.  I remember that game winning drive against the Eagles last year in the first game of the season. 

On the Sproles flag, yes it was a face mask, but if you didnt throw it when it happen, I don't think you can throw it because you saw it on the big screens. Its such BS, since there are many others calls that doesnt get called, but they never got pressured to make the change. Like what if you see on the big screen after a big touchdown, that a DE/OLB get held... do you call it back?

I'm actually not pissed that we lost this one, sure it hurts against a division foe, but the defense and offense hanged with the #1 offense in the NFL right now (at lease up to week 2)

AND freaking Tracy Porter, stop being injured.

This drives me crazy. If you miss the flag you miss the flag. People have said stuff like that should be reviewable, but currently it isn't. What basically happened was they got a free review on a penalty which is unheard of except against the redskins.

It was a delay of game against us, I didn't hear the whistle I am gonna agree the players didn't. That's probably the one call I'd say could have been made in our favor that wasn't.

Go back and watch that play. It was clearly obvious that at the very least, Kirk heard the whistle because he pulled up and stopped on the play. Which leads us to another failure by the refs, because if they DIDN'T blow the whistle, because they had just flagged us for delay, then they are incompetent.  But planting a QB when the QB has pulled up (at least, in this day of pussification of the NFL and wrapping QBs up in bubble wrap, etc), then that should ALWAYS draw a roughing penalty!

Holding, I didn't see anything blatant. Rak doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore either in that regard. Holding always happens we seem to be the only team that can't figure out a way to get pressure because of "holding"

Again .. you need to re-watch the game. I would say on at least 50% of the plays we were on defense (but probably more like 75%), they were blatantly holding, grabbing jerseys, etc and yet it was never called.

As much as anyone .. I hate it when we lose largely because of what is at the least officiating incompetence. I don't mind losing if we played hard and just fell short (which we did in SOME respects), but today was unacceptable and unnecessary! I'm sick of the zebras increasingly inserting themselves into games (and not just against us) and clearly affecting the outcomes.

The QB discussion is window dressing because the rest of the team will prevent them from doing anything of consequence.  Either one of those guys is gonna be a 6-10 type QB when the other phases won't hold up their end of the bargain against a decent team.[/quot
The QB discussion is window dressing because the rest of the team will prevent them from doing anything of consequence.  Either one of those guys is gonna be a 6-10 type QB when the other phases won't hold up their end of the bargain against a decent team.

Exactly what Griffin fans have been saying. Doesn't matter who is back there, we will do just enough to lose no matter what. I def don't blame Cousins he played great and did more than enough to win... However he had the ball with the chance to win or tie and didn't come through. That seems to happen a lot too no matter who is back there over the years.

Special teams cost a 10 point swing in the game. That is nearly impossible to overcome in a division game on the road. Yet, we almost overcame the mistakes. I am proud of the way we played and I'm happy that we were in a position to win in the 4th quarter. 

Looking at the schedule, I had this game chalked up as a loss. Am I disappointed we did not finish the upset....yes. But I am optimistic about this team.

Cousins is playing the most important position the way it is supposed to be played in this offense. 500+ yards on offense is outstanding. I think the eagles were the beneficiaries of questionable calls that helped several of their scoring drives. We were not so lucky. 

Special teams and being on the wrong side of luck cost the game. Not the Offense, Defense, or or coaching.

HTTR

Nah, Cousins was smoking hot today, in the 1st half. And just like last week, he had a tepid second half compounded with mental errors at inopportune moments.

He will get better but he, along with other facets of the game, made enough mistakes to let the other team walk away with a victory.

I think he went 10-22 in the 2nd half which is pretty much the same as last week. That will be something to watch next week. Are teams seeing things with his game and adjusting to it at halftime?

Oh, thanks for the substantive retort. You've changed my mind with your post.

On the reversed call that was ruled a catch (correctly), the eagle guys knee hit the ground in bounds as he had control of the ball, and then his elbow hit out of bounds.  The play was over by then, it was a good catch. 

A top tier, franchise QB makes the game winning play with time running out.  Kirk had a great game- but in the end, he is what he is. And he ain't III

And yet some top tier, franchise QBs don't always make the game winning play with time running out.  Unfortunately III is often hurt.. and just started looking like "old self" before another serious injury.  Kinda difficult to be "A top tier, franchise QB that makes the game winning play with time running out" from the bench or IR.  

Im an RG fan..  own his jersey… but how long can he be counted on?  Had he started todays game would he have finished it?  Would he have thrown for as many yards as Kirk?  Would he have had the team in position to take the lead in the end like Kirk did?  Who knows.

In all fairness, I think Kirk had an excellent game today considering this is his first start this season; against a division opponent in THEIR house. He didn't get to work with the first team hardly at all until this week. I think he deserves some time before we make hard judgements. We lost this game for several reasons today, but Kirk is not the scapegoat. Having said that, I am also *sick* of the trash that Robert has gotten around here in support of Kirk!  I love both of those guys equally.

In all fairness, I think Kirk had an excellent game today considering this is his first start this season; against a division opponent in THEIR house. He didn't get to work with the first team hardly at all until this week. I think he deserves some time before we make hard judgements. We lost this game for several reasons today, but Kirk is not the scapegoat. Having said that, I am also *sick* of the trash that Robert has gotten around here in support of Kirk! I love both of those guys equally.

No offense dude but throwing an RG3 comment either positive or negative into this discussion is just plain silly.

Their are plenty of other sounding boards on here to give your Kirk RG pros and cons.

With all due respect I'm alittle edgy because this game sucked a lot out of me and patience is shot.

Hail to us in four days!

Edit: Do you REALLY believe that that was a reception (instead of an incomplete pass, which they had already ruled) when the receiver's elbow CLEARLY came down out of bounds BEFORE his second foot?  My god, even the FOX announcers kept replaying in super zoom that his elbow came down out of bounds. And yet, the zebra not only REVERSED the call, but apparently had the New York office's blessing to do so since they review all plays and communincate with the field in each game.You also think that Perry Riley "interfered" with (I believe it was Perry Riley) on that pass play late in the game when the replays CLEARLY showed that Riley NEVER TOUCHED HIM?! You REALLY think that Baker "cheap shotted" Foley, when in fact Baker was knocking Foley out of what appeared an interception and a return?!

As I said .. in almost 50 years of watching the NFL, I have RARELY seen such a blatantly one-sided officiated game!

Dude. Are you having an episode? The knee clearly hit a split second before the elbow. Not even debatable.

I think KC played about as well as you can hope, for a guy making his 5th start on the road in a division game. How many QBs have gone for 427 yds and 3 TDs in their 5th start? He did A LOT of good things in this game.

That being said there were some issues, especially late.

His performance today was enough for us to win many games. Over 500 yds and 34 pts will be enough most weeks. There are bigger issues on this team than KC. You can make an argument that Special Teams has cost us 2 wins. Or at least 1.5.

The Giants game is winnable, I hope we are able to bounce back from this game on the short week. It looks like NY had an easier game than we did.

Archived