Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Game Day Thread: #Redskins at Iggles

JimmiJo

Just to jump in on the Merriweather coverage. No way he should be covering eagles best wr 1-1. Bad defensive call.

One thing chip Kelly does and I have to give him credit for it. If you're doing something stupid on D and you continue to do it he will keep calling the same play.

Matthews scored twice on same play call

Maclin was missed by Foles the first time and then scores on same play call

Ertz continued to bear Robinson.

The discipline (or lack of) is starting to show.

I disagree. Baker was hit by a cheap shot earlier in the game and Cousins was hit with a horrible cheap shot and Fletcher Cox should've been flagged. There is no way he didn't hear the whistle. The officials had a chance to get that game under control and they failed to do so. When they let Cousins get crushed without a penalty it was only a matter of time before someone on our team retaliated.

Here's a look at every one of Cousins throws this game, with the quarter, the down and distance, Cousins comp/att, the intended receiver, and the yards and whether it was a TD/Int. 

1, (1&10), 1/1, Garcon, 19
1, (1&10),  2/2, Jackson, 6
1, (2&9),  3/3, Jackson, 13
1, (1&10),  4/4, Garcon, 3
1, (2&7),  5/5, Pauulsen, 4
1, (3&3),  6/6, Roberts, 10
1, (2&4),  7/7, Young, 4, TD

1, (3&3), 8/8, Roberts, 5
1, (1&10), 8/9, Jackson
1, (2&10), 9/10, Paul, 9
1, (3&1), 10/11, Paul, 37
1, (3&6), 11/12, Jackson, 10
1, (2&4), 12/13, Garcon, 4, TD

2, (1&10), 13/14, Jackson, 7
2, (3&3), 14/15, Garcon, 4
2, (1&10), 14/16, Garcon
2, (2&10), 15/17, Roberts, 10
2, (2&13), 16/18, Garcon, 11
2, (3&2), 16/19, Garcon

2, (1&10), 16/20, Jackson
2, (2&10), 17/21, Garcon, 23
2, (1&10), 18/22, Paul, 6
2, (2&4), 19/23, Paulsen, 3
2, (1&10), 19/24, Paul
2, (3&2), 19/25, Garcon

3, (1&10), 20/26, Garcon, 7
3, (2&3), 20/27, Paul
3, (3&3), 20/28, Jackson

3, (2&5), 21/29, Paul, 6
3, (2&10), 22/30, Paul, 9
3, (1&10), 23/31, Paul, 1
3, (2&9), 23/32, Garcon
3, (3&9), 23/33, Grant

3, (1&10), 24/34, jACKSON, 81

4, (2&3), 25/35, Garcon, 13
4, (2&10), 26/36, Garcon, 0
4, (3&10), 26/37, Roberts

4, (1&10), 27/38, Garcon, 43
4, (2&7), 27/39, Young
4, (3&12), 27/40, Jackson

4, (1&10), 27/41, Paul (INT)

4, (1&10), 28/42, Garcon, 11
4, (1&10), 29/43, Helu, 55
4, (1&10), 29/44, Jackson
4, (2&10), 30/45, Roberts, 13

4, (2&10), 30/46, Jackson
4, (3&10), 30/47, Roberts
4, (4&10), 30/48, Garcon

Summary by quarter
1st Quarter: 12/13, 124, 2TD
2nd Quarter: 7/12, 64, 0TD
3rd Quarter: 5/9, 104, 1TD
4th Quarter: 6/14, 135, 0TD, 1Int

Look at the completion percentage as the game goes on:

92% -> 58% -> 56% -> 42%

Plus the yardage is deceiving because those were mainly big plays. Take away that 81 yarder in the third and he's 4/8 for 23 yards. Thats not moving hte ball. Same with the 4th when we had two big plays - one to Garcon, and one to Helu that skew the yardage totals. Take out the 43 and 55 yarders and we've got 4/12 for 37 yards. That kinda shows our offensive struggles for the second half. 

Seems like the Eagles made some adjustments after those first two drives and made Cousins dink and dunk it. 

And there were some dropped passes in the second half too.  Some QB’s drop in percentage as game goes on while some need time to warm up.  I’m not complaining after a 34 point outing against a good team and on their turf.  

The Bengals are stacked, first of all.  And I mean stacked.

Secondly, what's not to like about his offense?  Over 70 points the last two games?No arguments from me on Haz.  He is here for a year cause he was a good Soldier last year.

That's all well and good but it's starting to feel like Norval 2.0 to me.

We'll see. There are a lot of folks out there who would make good DC's. We have one of them on our staff right now (Brian Baker). Still would love to see Lou Spanos, too.

Agreed. Let's see what happens but right now, the D is playing ball but they still have some work to do with a less than 100% Hatcher and now Hall out

Do people really think I'm crazy when I say we have the most impatient fanbase ever?

lol, how long am I supposed to wait? Maybe in another 20 years we'll be really good.

.... I can't even....

My mistake. Three games in we've already allowed a ko return, a blocked punt, a blocked pat, countless penalties on ST, created a defense who can't make a stop, and an offense that tries to get cute with its play calling, but carry on...inept was the trademark of Norv teams; we're doing a real good job so far.

lol, how long am I supposed to wait? Maybe in another 20 years we'll be really good.

My mistake. Three games in we've already allowed a ko return, a blocked punt, a blocked pat, countless penalties on ST, created a defense who can't make a stop, and an offense that tries to get cute with its play calling, but carry on...inept was the trademark of Norv teams; we're doing a real good job so far.

Well, let's hope we have a coach that can do more than put up a good offense and sound depressed in post game speeches.

There are definitely positives to take away from this game. But it's hard to be too enthusiastic when we're seeing the same old mistakes and meltdowns. I'll feel a lot better if we take care of business Thursday night. If we can just keep this offense rolling, finish around 8-8 and resolve our QB situation by year's end I'll consider this season a resounding success.

For some reason, I am not 100% sold on Kirk. It's only two games. Starts the game on fire and begins to crumble with his accuracy.

Look at the completion percentage as the game goes on:

92% -> 58% -> 56% -> 42%

Plus the yardage is deceiving because those were mainly big plays. Take away that 81 yarder in the third and he's 4/8 for 23 yards. Thats not moving hte ball. Same with the 4th when we had two big plays - one to Garcon, and one to Helu that skew the yardage totals. Take out the 43 and 55 yarders and we've got 4/12 for 37 yards. That kinda shows our offensive struggles for the second half. 

Seems like the Eagles made some adjustments after those first two drives and made Cousins dink and dunk it. 

Glad you pointed this out. This is why I am not 100% for Kirk. It's how you finish that matters most. Same thing in the Jacksonville game, Kirk actually regressed in that game as well. In close game situations, It changes the momentum of the game and will result in a lot of bad endings for each game. 

Can't blame Kirk for the L, but Kirk had the chance to give us TD/FG on the final drive and didn't deliver when needed the most.

That and first round busts...

Why even watch?

We all see OC's playcard held up over their microphones, as they block the lip reading spies when they call in plays.

If they are paranoid about lip readers, why do they hold up their play card for the world to see?  Certainly there are powerful camera's or binocs that can zoom in.

Chip had a giant S 8 on the back of his playcard yesterday.

Meanwhile, we are struggling to snap the ball without taking DOGs many times.

Do people really think I'm crazy when I say we have the most impatient fanbase ever?

NO. Because if that makes YOU crazy, then send me to the loony bin as well!  I have watched the Skins for over 45 years. I too would like to see this team back in the championship, and I too have wished it would have happened sometime again in the last 23 years, but I do believe that Jay Gruden is getting this team back from the debacle that was the Shanahan meltdown, and I don't expect it to happen necessarily in the first 3-5 games!  It would be nice, but ...  As to the KC8 vs. RG3 nonsense and those whom have already crowned KC8 as our team saviour:  why can't people accept that we have TWO great QBs? Apparently, many of the pissy pants here weren't alive to see Joe Montana backed up by Steve Young!

To be fair, Joe and Steve weren't from same draft class. Neither, for that matter, were Favre and Rodgers.

By the time RG3 has recovered, we should have lots more clarity. Have to cherish the irony though of talking heads debating whether Griffin could bring us a 4th rounder in trade.

Doh.

To be fair, Joe and Steve weren't from same draft class. Neither, for that matter, were Favre and Rodgers.

By the time RG3 has recovered, we should have lots more clarity. Have to cherish the irony though of talking heads debating whether Griffin could bring us a 4th rounder in trade.

Doh.

No, but I didn't say that they were from the same draft class. I was just pointing out that a team CAN possess two very good QBs. I know that it was pre-salary cap, but then you also mentioned Favre and Rodgers which was recent. Instead, we have a significant portion of our fanbase AND members of this board who seem to think that we must denigrate one of our QBs versus the other. We DON'T!  As to the "talking heads?" I listen to very little of them. They are all usually idiots.

No, but I didn't say that they were from the same draft class. I was just pointing out that a team CAN possess two very good QBs. I know that it was pre-salary cap, but then you also mentioned Favre and Rodgers which was recent. Instead, we have a significant portion of our fanbase AND members of this board who seem to think that we must denigrate one of our QBs versus the other. We DON'T!  As to the "talking heads?" I listen to very little of them. They are all usually idiots.

Well, Cousins is under contract for one more year and Griffin is for two.  It's likely that we don't keep both of them after 2015 unless Kirk is signed long-term.  I'm not sure that's the answer right now.  It may be, but we don't know yet.

I do think that Cousins AND Griffin are each on of the 32 best QBs in the NFL.  So there's that to chew on as well.  Someone has to go.

In fact, Favre went specifically because Rodgers contract was running out and Ted Thompson needed to "see what they had in him".  Couple that with Favre's wear and tear/age and it was an easy decision.

Montana was older as well and Young had shown a lot of promise off the bench.

I'm not sure we've seen a situation like this before wear there are two really good QBs from the same class on the same team. 

I'm not sure we've seen a situation like this before wear there are two really good QBs from the same class on the same team.

That was my point, really. In similar situations (Smith/Kaepernick) one usually gets jettisoned so the other can become "the man." Foles/Vick.

I can't remember a recent example where two starting-caliber qbs manned the helm for long.

Archived