Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Game Day Thread: #Redskins at Iggles

JimmiJo

lol.  When has RG every played a game like Kirk today.  If RG started there is no way we have a chance in this game.  Actually I say it would have been 50-7 if he played.  Welcome to your new QB skins fans.  We are now contenders every week if we can keep our injuries down and improve every week.  

I hope todays stats from Kirk were good enough for the “lets see how he does against a good team” folks who were bashing him last week against the jax..  You have your answer and I hope Kirk can keep improving every week he plays.  

I hope Kirk keeps improving every week and am capable of doing so while still being a fan of RG3 too. Silly me, guess I'm a fan of the team first rather than needlessly trashing one QB and some of the fanbase to make myself feel better.

lol.  When has RG every played a game like Kirk today.  If RG started there is no way we have a chance in this game.  Actually I say it would have been 50-7 if he played.  Welcome to your new QB skins fans.  We are now contenders every week if we can keep our injuries down and improve every week.  

I hope todays stats from Kirk were good enough for the “lets see how he does against a good team” folks who were bashing him last week against the jax..  You have your answer and I hope Kirk can keep improving every week he plays.  

Because he threw for 400+ yards in a loss? 

Not for nothing, I love both guys but the hatorade for each has to cease. Remember to be Thankful, thankful we have two competent young QB's. 

12 11/22 videoicon.gif @ DAL W   38-31 1 1 19 27 70.4 304 11.3 4 1 3 16 131.8

3 video.gif @PHI L  34-37 30 48 62.5 427 8.9 3 1 0 0 103.4 3 5 1.7 0 -- --

I hope Kirk keeps improving every week and am capable of doing so while still being a fan of RG3 too. Silly me, guess I'm a fan of the team first rather than needlessly trashing one QB and some of the fanbase to make myself feel better.

Amen brother, Amen. 

Just lol.

Wow.  After 5 starts he's already reached his full potential?  Incredible.

That's like saying RG3 has reached his ceiling as well.  Both QB's have plenty of growth left in them and to suggest otherwise is just plain silly.

Lol I was waiting for that.......

I wasn't at all saying he's reached his full potential. I was saying that he played a heck of a game today and it obviously would be hard for most any QB to put up better numbers than Cousins did today. Can any fan of any team expect their QB to put up the numbers Cousins put up today on a weekly basis? Probaly not. By saying that doesn't mean that I think he's reached his full potential. I just thought he was in that zone for most of the game and what will likely end up going down as one of his great games in his career-- regardless of how long he ends up playing-- is a game that we still managed to somehow lose.

Jack Youngblood played on a broken leg.

No excuses ...Hatcher needs to be out there.

Didn't need him that last series.  We were fine.

Youngblood played in the Super Bowl.  Hatcher sat cause there is a game on Thursday.

Quit being silly.

Watching this game, there is plenty of accolades and blame to go around. But I loved the fight shown by this team that I've haven't seen in a while.

As for the KC vs RG3 discussion, I agree that there are merits for both. At some point RG3 will get healthy again, and Gruden will have a decision to make. My honest opinion, KC appears to be more tailored to what Gruden likes to do offensively. :ph34r: And his play the last 2 weeks does nothing to change that. KC simply needs the live game reps to learn how to cope with games like this one. Yes, he did not get it done when we had a chance there at the end, but he'll learn from this.

I still cannot stand Hazzhat, and nothing he does has changed my mind about him. There were multiple instances where he chose to rush 4, giving Foles time to look downfield, that boggled the imagination. Sure, the Sheagles are an uptempo offense, but to sit back at crucial times and give Foles time to pick us apart was beyond ridiculous.

Otherwise, great game by our boys, the future is bright. :D

No arguments from me on Haz. He is here for a year cause he was a good Soldier last year.

Feels like he is just keeping the seat warm for Wade next year. Gruden seems to like sticking with guys he knows/ has a comfort level with. I'm sure having lil Wade on the team has given/will give him and Wade a chance to get that

Or so I hope.

The problem today is we took our foot off the gas on offense.  We got an early lead, but that is not good enough against the explosive offense of the Eagles.  We needed to take more chances down the field.  One of the only chances we took ended in an 81 yard TD.

No, they took shots. The problem today is the special teams missed a FG, an easy one, and they allowed a return for a TD. Take those two out and they win. 

I wasn't at all saying he's reached his full potential. I was saying that he played a heck of a game today and it obviously would be hard for most any QB to put up better numbers than Cousins did today. Can any fan of any team expect their QB to put up the numbers Cousins put up today on a weekly basis? Probaly not. By saying that doesn't mean that I think he's reached his full potential. I just thought he was in that zone for most of the game and what will likely end up going down as one of his great games in his career-- regardless of how long he ends up playing-- is a game that we still managed to somehow lose.

I hear what you're saying now..........but what you actually said was "the reality is is that he isn't going to play any better than he did today...and we still lost."

I understand the sentiment, but as good a game as he had, there was still room for improvement.  I personally believe he can and will improve.  It just stands to reason that he'll get better with only 5 starts under his belt.  With another half season of starting experience, one might say he would be even better.

I'm not trying to be argumentative.  Just pointing out what I felt was an incorrect statement.

Feels like he is just keeping the seat warm for Wade next year. Gruden seems to like sticking with guys he knows/ has a comfort level with. I'm sure having lil Wade on the team has given/will give him and Wade a chance to get that

Or so I hope.

We'll see.  There are a lot of folks out there who would make good DC's.  We have one of them on our staff right now (Brian Baker).  Still would love to see Lou Spanos, too.

Anyone on this board who blames this loss on KC has no concept of reality. 

The defense played well, against the number one scoring offense in the NFL on their own home field

There was an obvious drop off when D. Hall got hurt.

The Skins played with a heart and passion we haven't seen around her in a long time.

If not for yet another pitiful Special Teams performance this would be a benchmark win for this franchise.

Finally if this team plays Thursday Night like it did today, they will beat the Giants in similar fashion to the Jags, be 2-2 and well on their way to a much better season than most of us thought.

Anyone on this board who blames this loss on KC has no concept of reality. 

The defense played well, against the number one scoring offense in the NFL on their own home field

There was an obvious drop off when D. Hall got hurt.

The Skins played with a heart and passion we haven't seen around her in a long time.

If not for yet another pitiful Special Teams performance this would be a benchmark win for this franchise.

Finally if this team plays Thursday Night like it did today, they will beat the Giants in similar fashion to the Jags, be 2-2 and well on their way to a much better season than most of us thought.

Listen.

It's not about blaming Cousins. He played well and the D and ST's let us down.

In general Cousins played more than well enough for us to win.

But specifically Cousins was in a position to win the game and failed.

That point can be made without invalidating Cousins' entire performance or being a "hater" or "Griffin lover".

That needs to be acknowledged.

The amount of penalties has been absolutely shocking to say the least. Just bad.

10 penalties for 131 yards... that's the yardage that Sproiles and Shady weren't getting.

That point can be made without invalidating Cousins' entire performance or being a "hater" or "Griffin lover".

That needs to be acknowledged.

That field position at the end?  FG should've been a minimum expectation.  I'll definitely agree to that.

You're a Redskins fan, shouldn't you be an RG fan as well?

I am an rg fan but Kirk is just a better QB.  As Theismann said, there wouldn’t be a competition if it was allowed to truly be one.  I want the skins to win and kirk, to me, is the much better choice.  

Does it irk anyone to see the Bengals playing even better without Jay Gruden? He just gets too cute sometimes. I can see why he thought Haslett was a viable DC. they seem to have similar tendencies.

That being said I'm actually impressed with the improvements in this team. We have better personnel. Now we just need to play special teams and get a legit defensive coordinator.

We scored 41 points last week and 34 this week. Jay Gruden isn't the problem.

This is true.. But I believe that if they would have left Helu in the backfield on that last drive instead of an empty backfield on two plays, they would have been able to pick apart that secondary like KC did all day..

Here's a look at every one of Cousins throws this game, with the quarter, the down and distance, Cousins comp/att, the intended receiver, and the yards and whether it was a TD/Int. 

1, (1&10), 1/1, Garcon, 19
1, (1&10),  2/2, Jackson, 6
1, (2&9),  3/3, Jackson, 13
1, (1&10),  4/4, Garcon, 3
1, (2&7),  5/5, Pauulsen, 4
1, (3&3),  6/6, Roberts, 10
1, (2&4),  7/7, Young, 4, TD

1, (3&3), 8/8, Roberts, 5
1, (1&10), 8/9, Jackson
1, (2&10), 9/10, Paul, 9
1, (3&1), 10/11, Paul, 37
1, (3&6), 11/12, Jackson, 10
1, (2&4), 12/13, Garcon, 4, TD

2, (1&10), 13/14, Jackson, 7
2, (3&3), 14/15, Garcon, 4
2, (1&10), 14/16, Garcon
2, (2&10), 15/17, Roberts, 10
2, (2&13), 16/18, Garcon, 11
2, (3&2), 16/19, Garcon

2, (1&10), 16/20, Jackson
2, (2&10), 17/21, Garcon, 23
2, (1&10), 18/22, Paul, 6
2, (2&4), 19/23, Paulsen, 3
2, (1&10), 19/24, Paul
2, (3&2), 19/25, Garcon

3, (1&10), 20/26, Garcon, 7
3, (2&3), 20/27, Paul
3, (3&3), 20/28, Jackson

3, (2&5), 21/29, Paul, 6
3, (2&10), 22/30, Paul, 9
3, (1&10), 23/31, Paul, 1
3, (2&9), 23/32, Garcon
3, (3&9), 23/33, Grant

3, (1&10), 24/34, jACKSON, 81

4, (2&3), 25/35, Garcon, 13
4, (2&10), 26/36, Garcon, 0
4, (3&10), 26/37, Roberts

4, (1&10), 27/38, Garcon, 43
4, (2&7), 27/39, Young
4, (3&12), 27/40, Jackson

4, (1&10), 27/41, Paul (INT)

4, (1&10), 28/42, Garcon, 11
4, (1&10), 29/43, Helu, 55
4, (1&10), 29/44, Jackson
4, (2&10), 30/45, Roberts, 13

4, (2&10), 30/46, Jackson
4, (3&10), 30/47, Roberts
4, (4&10), 30/48, Garcon

Summary by quarter
1st Quarter: 12/13, 124, 2TD
2nd Quarter: 7/12, 64, 0TD
3rd Quarter: 5/9, 104, 1TD
4th Quarter: 6/14, 135, 0TD, 1Int

Look at the completion percentage as the game goes on:

92% -> 58% -> 56% -> 42%

Plus the yardage is deceiving because those were mainly big plays. Take away that 81 yarder in the third and he's 4/8 for 23 yards. Thats not moving hte ball. Same with the 4th when we had two big plays - one to Garcon, and one to Helu that skew the yardage totals. Take out the 43 and 55 yarders and we've got 4/12 for 37 yards. That kinda shows our offensive struggles for the second half. 

Seems like the Eagles made some adjustments after those first two drives and made Cousins dink and dunk it. 

Archived