Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

23 Offensive Linemen on the Hall of Fame Ballot (count the former Redskins)

daveakl

I like your list but here's one I disagree with - Jim Lachey was more than a very good tackle he was elite. He was a better LT than Joe Jacoby who was moved to RT when we traded with the Raiders for Lachey. Now Joe was getting long in the tooth by that stage but even in his prime Lachey was better - and that's not to slight Jacoby was WAS a Hall of Fame player.

Injury and the shortening of his career is the only thing which will keep Lachey out of the Hall.

Thanks a lot Martin (I was wondering when the Dean would check in).  I'm flattered that you didn't laugh at it.  

I remember that trade, yet I forgot that we moved the old war horse to the opposite side for the thoroughbred.  Didn't Lachey have like a sackless season one year & give up 1&1/2 sacks the next?  I remember it was something incredible like that.  

Point taken though.  In my defense, I figured his lack of longevity would hurt his chances at Canton.  

A lot of. 'skins nominees this year, not just at offensive line.

Rich Gannon

Gary Clark

Stephen Davis

Jeff Bostic

Joe Jacoby

Jon Jansen

Chris Samuels

Mark Schlereth

Dexter Manley

Charles Mann

Ken Harvey

Shawn Springs

Brian Mitchell

Richie Petitbon

Marty Schottenheimer

Of those I think the most deserving are:

1. Joe Jacoby

2. Brian Mitchell (check the record books)

3. Jeff Bostic (it would be nice if we could enshrine the hogs as a unit).

I dislike calling someone a 'skin or a 'skins nomination if they played one year here or made their career elsewhere.  To me, Deion Sanders was never a 'skin nor was Jeff George. They were car rentals.  Likewise, Rich Gannon ain't a 'skins nominee.  He played here for a minute, but the reason he's being considered though his career really doesn't warrant it was because of the small flash of good play he had at the end with the Raiders.

I can dig Ken Harvey being labeled a 'skin.  He played a long stretch with us and a long stretch with the Cardinals, but he ended his career here and he's stayed with the Redskin community.  I also think he isn't HOF worthy, but that's a different question.

Conversely, I don't think that the Jets counted Art Monk as one of their own.  He is a Redskin.  Period.

Anywho, that's my "get off my lawn" rant for the morning.

Edit: Careth, if only we could plug that line in today.  I'd swap each and every one, but if Bostic was undersized in the 80's, boy would he have trouble today.

Point taken Burgold. The thought that Schottenheimer and Gannon aren't really Redskins had occurred to me, and I don't disagree. (We should have kept both of them around longer though).

But then what to do with middling cases like Stephen Davis and Ken Harvey? Figuring out what fits in the category of "former Redskin" is a somewhat tricky business if the definition is "considered so by the fans." Does this include all the fans or only some of them?

Rather than try to draw that line I just went with more obvious criteria and listed anybody who has put on our uniform.

Anyway I hope to see BMirch and Jacoby listed among the finalists!

I just want to echo the thought that Jacoby should be in already. He should have been in well before Grimm, frankly.

The other one I would champion would be Clark. In particular, the Peter King argument against Monk should be used to help Clark. They kept Monk out fro so many years because they claimed it was Clark who was the one opponents feared on those teams, and that he drew coverage which made it easy for Monk to get all those catches.

Well, if Clark was drawing so much coverage away it made it easy for Monk to get the career record, while still being able to catch 700 balls himself (with his NFL career being two years shorter due to USFL time).. how the hell is that NOT a Hall of Famer?

I just want to echo the thought that Jacoby should be in already. He should have been in well before Grimm, frankly.

The other one I would champion would be Clark. In particular, the Peter King argument against Monk should be used to help Clark. They kept Monk out fro so many years because they claimed it was Clark who was the one opponents feared on those teams, and that he drew coverage which made it easy for Monk to get all those catches.

Well, if Clark was drawing so much coverage away it made it easy for Monk to get the career record, while still being able to catch 700 balls himself (with his NFL career being two years shorter due to USFL time).. how the hell is that NOT a Hall of Famer?

Concur. Secondaries trembled at the thought of covering Monk AND Clark and the other good WRs on that team. Who were they?

Jacoby + Clark = HOF

The Skins have more players in the HoF that played or coached for them, than any other team in the league, besides the Bears (30) and Giants (29).  The Skins have 28

Packers have 27, Cowboys 21, Eagles 20, Steelers 25, 49ers 22, Rams 26.

The teams with the least are the Saints (7), Broncos and Pats (6), Bucs and Falcons with 5, Ravens 4, Bengals 2, Panthers 1, Houston and Jacksonville (0).

Now THAT is insane.  

Well, the Saints will get 1 more in a few yeas for sure in Brees. I personally think Andre Johnson is going to make a strong case, so Houston will get off the schnide.  Things do not look so good for Jax. 

I wonder whether the fact that Grimm stayed with the game after his playing days while Jacoby just left the game totally helped Grimm's chances and hurt Joe's.

And good point on Clark. His numbers pale in comparison to the inflated numbers being put up nowadays, but if Peter King had an ounce of integrity he would be championing Clark's case before the selection committee.

Agree. Jacoby is the only other Hog besides Bostic to start all four of our SBs.

Clark has just as good of stats as Irvin in one less season in the NFL and as you said, he lost two years in the USFL.

Yes, but I don't remember the freaking name of the center on the Bills.

Also, that was a joke.

I figured it was a joke somewhere.  But I wasn't sure how much of one or what part.  A comment on his name?  A comment on how well known he was?

Archived