Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Destiny Thread (PS4 and Xbox One)

Dont Taze Me Bro

Brad, sorry I missed you man.  I just saw the invite this morning.  Yesterday, I was afk a lot when I was logged in, missed it popping up on the screen.  

I was also leveling my alt, trying to get my other two chars to 20-22 so I can do strikes with each of them and earn extra strange coins.  Which I was thinking about today.  We should all level all three classes to 22 and try and schedule one day during the week that we can be on to run the strike three times through.  

We can set a time, with a 30 min buffer and run crucible until everyone is on.  Will be hard with the time zone differences considering I'm EST, Goon is Pacific (3 hrs behind me) and Brad is 6 hours ahead in Germany.

We can try and work something out though.

Just let me know when.  I'm a shift worker (in a 24/7/365 shop), so my time off is scattered all over the place. I don't have any beef with staying up late to play though as long as I don't have a dayshift the next morning (in which case, the wife would probably stay up and play anyway...LOL).

Might be a stupid question, but what does that do for us?  The wife plays with the level 28 Hunter, I use the 26 Titan, but have not created a Warlock yet. Should I? It would probably only take me a few days of playing to at least get up to the mid teens.

I'm trying to make sure I hoard enough strange coins and motes of light to be able to buy the exotic weapon every single weekend.  Tired of having sucky weapons. LOL. 

Oh and I need a ton of ascendent material to upgrade my weapons and armor.  What's the fastest way to get that, other than dismantling legendary gear? Any advice?

Ascendant materials, for me, drop doing public events. You get them for completing it, a mail reward for the first of the day, and from chests. so, download the destiny event timer to your phone and be in the right place at the right time.

I also burn vanguard and crucible marks for unneeded legendaries to destroy.

Basically, ascendant shards are the bottleneck in this game.

Quick question:  In order to participate in the Strike missions, do you have to put together a strike team beforehand??  There is no matchmaking?

Thanks

Doing a normal strike just chosen off the planet maps goes through match-making and your fireteam will be filled in with other players for you.  Doing the weekly strike though, requires you to have your fireteam set in advance; the weekly doesn't do matchmaking.

Edit:  :ph34r:

Quick question:  In order to participate in the Strike missions, do you have to put together a strike team beforehand??  There is no matchmaking?

Thanks

The daily heroic strike does not match-make.  So it would be beneficial to put together a strike team before hand. But the regular strike missions, and the vanguard playlist does indeed match-make.

Ascendant materials, for me, drop doing public events. You get them for completing it, a mail reward for the first of the day, and from chests. so, download the destiny event timer to your phone and be in the right place at the right time.

I also burn vanguard and crucible marks for unneeded legendaries to destroy.

Basically, ascendant shards are the bottleneck in this game.

I didn't even know there's an event timer. Damn, I feel like such a rookie. I got some learnin to do.

Doing a normal strike just chosen off the planet maps goes through match-making and your fireteam will be filled in with other players for you. Doing the weekly strike though, requires you to have your fireteam set in advance; the weekly doesn't do matchmaking.

Damn....ninja post.

I'm like 250 rep or so short of Vanguard rank 2. Can finally start getting some purples soon. Hoo ray.

Really do hope they nerf the amount of grinding required though. This is ilke old school WoW level of grinding, although easier(strikes are not hard at all with competent people).

Well, I was reading the best way to hoard strange coins was to have 3 chars that can do the heroic weekly strikes and you can get a total of 9 strange coins across all the difficulties.  So if we started out doing the level 28, we get 9 coins.  If we do the easy level, 3 coins, then we have to do the medium level for 3 more coins (I think its only 3), then hard for the final three coins.  

I don't know how hard the level 28 weekly heroic strike is.  I only know how hard the level 22 was and I died a lot, granted it was only me and Goon and I had never done it before.  He basically ran me through it and I'm sure he could probably solo it (basically did lol).  

I wasn't fully geared up and had only a legendary heavy machine gun.  I imagine that with 3 people (geared right with Leg. weapons), we could at least do the both the level 22 and 26 heroic strikes.  It would be sweet if we could do the Level 28 once on our mains, get all 9 coins for the week.  Then do the level 22 weekly heroic strikes on two alts and get another 6 coins. 

That way we would have 15 coins per week to use on Xur for exotics.  Get this, I used 23 motes on an exotic armor engram.  Had it decoded and its an exotic chest piece for a Warlock, so I can't even use it :(  Had to bank it, so whenever I get my 15 warlock to 20, its as good as equipped.

Damn that sucks to get an exotic engram you can't even use.  Since I didn't have any other exotics, I just went ahead and bought the exotic helmet for my Titan that he was selling, and the rocket launcher.  So now I have a legendary machine gun, exotic rocket launcher, and legendary chest and arm armor, with exotic helmet. Now its just a matter of saving up materials so I can upgrade my gear.  Hurts not having a legendary primary weapon though.  Not doing a lot of damage to enemies right now.  Really want that exotic auto rifle or hand cannon.

Yeah, I was pretty pissed off when I had it decrypted.  I mean, it was all my motes of light I had on my account and you give me something I can't ****ing use.  Horrible.  

Granted, I can use it on my Warlock later, but that's beside the point.  I'll still have to level that char to 20.  Luckily, I can use my Titan to get legendary gear off the crucible/faction vendors for my other chars (not class specific) which should save a lot of time.

Oh and I need a ton of ascendent material to upgrade my weapons and armor.  What's the fastest way to get that, other than dismantling legendary gear? Any advice?

I'm glad you mentioned this. I have a legendary gauntlet I'm almost done upgrading, I'm on the last row of upgrades and it says I need ascendent energy. Now I when I check my inventory, I have 8 ascendent energy, but when I look at the status of the gauntlet I'm at 5/6. What gives? What am I missing here? Are there different types of ascendent energy? 

I'm glad you mentioned this. I have a legendary gauntlet I'm almost done upgrading, I'm on the last row of upgrades and it says I need ascendent energy. Now I when I check my inventory, I have 8 ascendent energy, but when I look at the status of the gauntlet I'm at 5/6. What gives? What am I missing here? Are there different types of ascendent energy? 

Ascendant energy is to upgrade weapons. You need ascendant shards to upgrade armor. So you must only have 5 ascendant shards, that's why it says 5/6.

Well, I was reading the best way to hoard strange coins was to have 3 chars that can do the heroic weekly strikes and you can get a total of 9 strange coins across all the difficulties.  So if we started out doing the level 28, we get 9 coins.  If we do the easy level, 3 coins, then we have to do the medium level for 3 more coins (I think its only 3), then hard for the final three coins.  

I don't know how hard the level 28 weekly heroic strike is.  I only know how hard the level 22 was and I died a lot, granted it was only me and Goon and I had never done it before.  He basically ran me through it and I'm sure he could probably solo it (basically did lol).  

I wasn't fully geared up and had only a legendary heavy machine gun.  I imagine that with 3 people (geared right with Leg. weapons), we could at least do the both the level 22 and 26 heroic strikes.  It would be sweet if we could do the Level 28 once on our mains, get all 9 coins for the week.  Then do the level 22 weekly heroic strikes on two alts and get another 6 coins. 

That way we would have 15 coins per week to use on Xur for exotics.  Get this, I used 23 motes on an exotic armor engram.  Had it decoded and its an exotic chest piece for a Warlock, so I can't even use it :(  Had to bank it, so whenever I get my 15 warlock to 20, its as good as equipped.

Last week I asked a couple guys(a level 29 & 28) to help me get through the level 28 weekly heroic strike to get the 9 coins. I was 26 at the time and found it brutal. I was pretty much useless. I was just not doing enough damage and too many enemies one shotting me. Even the guys walking me through had to do so very slowly and methodically. That said I'm up to try it with a couple of guys this week. I'm level 27 now with some better firepower. I think everyone in the group should be no lower than level 27 to try the level 28 weekly unless we have a very good 29 to walk us through. Feel free to add me on PS4. PSN id VeroViper.

So I finally got a legendary engram from a strike. Unfortunately it's a Pulse Rifle which IMO are the worst of the 3 Rifles. I'm using it anyway because it's Attack is just so much higher than the Auto/Scout I had before but it's taking some getting used to. It's also really bad in PVP. Honestly PVP feels like Auto Rifle or bust.

Also finally hit Vanguard Rank 2 and spent my marks on the chest and boots. Got me from 24 to 25. Think I'll have enough coins/motes to buy something off Xur this weekend as well, so I should be high enough to do the raid soon

So I finally got a legendary engram from a strike. Unfortunately it's a Pulse Rifle which IMO are the worst of the 3 Rifles. I'm using it anyway because it's Attack is just so much higher than the Auto/Scout I had before but it's taking some getting used to. It's also really bad in PVP. Honestly PVP feels like Auto Rifle or bust.

Agreed. Every time I get a Pulse Rifle, I trash it. Trying my ass off to get an exotic bounty now, so I can try to get my hands on the exotic hand cannon. That thing is the bomb.

Yeah, like it was recommended to me, just wait for the public events to pop up. Every time you finish one with a gold rating, you get ascendent material (either a shard or energy).

I actually prefer the exotics when it comes to upgrading.  The majority of the material needed is from each of the areas (spirit bloom, helium filaments, etc) and is easily farmed. IMO, its much harder to earn the ascendent material needed to fully upgrade legendary items.

My newb Hunter (level 8 at the time) had fools raging last night in Control.  It's the map with snow (I should really learn map names for this game) with the gun turrets.  I always go for the one that sits up on the hill facing control point B.  

I ended up with a score around 4300-4400, 4.4 K/D ratio and 28 kills lol.  I wasted everyone, they kept coming at me right after I killed them and I'd mow them down again.  Finally, they bum rushed me from 4 different directions so I couldn't get them all, still managed to kill one, turn and get the next guy down enough where I got an assist.  

I was laughing my ass off.  We lost though :(  It placed me in the game where the score was 5000 to 2000, on the losing team.  I actually brought us back and we took the lead and it came down to the wire, but they captured another flag right before the timer and it put them on top.  

StruggeLing to get past level 24....im running lvl 24 strikes anyone have any advice on what to do? Just hut level 1 vangaurd so still got a little bit to go to buy gear...i have a purple fusion rifle but that's it....haven't played crucible in awhile...

Hunters are absurdly good in PVP.

I do love being a Defender though and popping a bubble on a flag and watching people run in and get themselves killed.

I hate facing a Hunter who has his Super, and he's cutting through my entire team. Literally nothing I can do besides make my Warlock teleport away and run until he loses it. 

Also anybody have a link to a good spinmetal farming route?

Check the Destiny wiki on ign.com. They have great farming routes for all mats. As for leveling I did not depend on drops. I've gotten 6 purple drops. 5 I couldn't use(wrong class) the other was a legendary pulse rifle. I joined a faction(FWC) Do all bounties you can daily with the faction item equipped to increase reputation. Then hit the crucible to get marks. If you really want to avoid PvP just stick with vanguard and finish all bounties for faction rep(each one gives either 50 to 100 rep a pop) and then do strikes to get the vanguard marks. Some of the bounties go REALLY quick(ie kill 30 enemies by melee) Another perk from level 3 on up with a faction you get a legendary gift every time you hit a new rep level. Make sure you do at least one daily event and get tier 3 gold for a shard. Hope this helps.

Well its finally taken me a few weeks to do so, but I've got all legendary armor, and one exotic armor (chest); and an exotic rocket launcher, legendary machine gun, and legendary fusion rifle (which is badass by the way). Saving up so I can buy the legendary auto rifle. Sitting at level 27 for now. Need to hoard some ascendent material so I can upgrade my stuff now.

Then I'll get to do it all over again when I create the warlock. LOL

And all my whining must have paid off somehow.  Two days in a row now, I've logged on, and immediately received a legendary engram on my first strike (after getting nada for like two or three weeks).  WTF? 

Well its finally taken me a few weeks to do so, but I've got all legendary armor, and one exotic armor (chest); and an exotic rocket launcher, legendary machine gun, and legendary fusion rifle (which is badass by the way). Saving up so I can buy the legendary auto rifle. Sitting at level 27 for now. Need to hoard some ascendent material so I can upgrade my stuff now.

Then I'll get to do it all over again when I create the warlock. LOL

And all my whining must have paid off somehow.  Two days in a row now, I've logged on, and immediately received a legendary engram on my first strike (after getting nada for like two or three weeks).  WTF? 

You don't have to do it all over again.  If I'm not mistaken, unless the gear is class specific (which the faction/crucible gear is not), you can farm it, toss in the vault and use on your alt chars when they hit 20.

You don't have to do it all over again.  If I'm not mistaken, unless the gear is class specific (which the faction/crucible gear is not), you can farm it, toss in the vault and use on your alt chars when they hit 20.

Well the blue and green gear is indeed class specific.  I didn't know the crucible gear wasn't though.  Guess I'll have to suck it up and really start playing the crap out of the crucible.  But when I do find things, I definitely vault them.

Well the blue and green gear is indeed class specific.  I didn't know the crucible gear wasn't though.  Guess I'll have to suck it up and really start playing the crap out of the crucible.  But when I do find things, I definitely vault them.

I thought I read that gear wasn't binded to characters.  I could be wrong.  I'll know when I hit 20 on my other char.  Cause I have some legendary pieces/drops in the vault.

Edit:  Ok, I read that armor you get that is class specific and not your class (like that exotic Warlock chest I rolled on my Titan) can be used by my Warlock alt.  But evidently all drops and gear purchased by a character is specific only to that class, unless it rolled that way upon being decrypted for another class.

All weapons can be used across alts regardless.  The armor **** pisses me off, but, if you level your alts through the Crucible, it doesn't take long to get to rank 2 and you can buy the legendary armor and use your main to buy the weapons.

Archived