Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Cousins and the next few weeks

2 points:

- 1 of the big reasons the season is over is because Kirk melted down a couple of times.

- Is he a solid backup? I'm not so sure. If he turns the ball over that much, he's not. If McCoy goes in and manages the game, win or lose, that's a better backup option.

You want your backup to be a guy who can pinch hit, and not lose games for you. Kirk actively lost games for us.

He also is in a mental state that might/might not allow him to really be productive. He's having a crisis of confidence, and that needs to be worked out before he takes the field again.

Don't disagree with the confidence but, ie. Patrick Ramsey being pummeled. My school of thought is lift the guy up, he has the tools but it takes mistakes time to learn from mistakes, that is experience. After week 1 we still don't know what RG is in the pocket. He has performed well coming in as a back up. McCoy will show who he is...

Everybody points to talent deficiencies. I'm not sure how many deficiencies there are, honest. There are some, without question. But I honestly think that this season was over when Griffin went down and Cousins started throwing picks like giving candy away at Halloween.

I think there are a nucleus of pretty good players on the team that you can build around: Griffin, DJax, Garcon, Roberts, Reed, Trent WIlliams, Kerrigan, Amerson, K. Robinson and Breeland. Hatcher is a rent-a-player for a few years, but he's pretty good.

The problem is that there are certain spots where we need to see the young talent develop. That's at the safety position and OL for the most part.

Look, if some combination of Compton, Moses, Long and Ribbs, can grab a job or two and be an improvement, then the OL problems diminish to some extent. That might start this week if Compton replaces Polumbus.

While there were a lot of folks who were really quick to jump on the Cousins bandwagon, losing Griffin really hurt this team. Really hurt. And when he comes back, I'm hopeful that will help the entire team get some mojo.

Agreed, kind of... people were not so high on RG after his early performances. And now he is proven injury prone guy. You mentioned confidence in a prior post, RG was lacking as well. That's what happens when your running for your life behind that really(insert sarcasm) talented O line. Just beat Dallas, and I do hope your right!!!

Agreed, kind of... people were not so high on RG after his early performances. And now he is proven injury prone guy. You mentioned confidence in a prior post, RG was lacking as well. That's what happens when your running for your life behind that really(insert sarcasm) talented O line. Just beat Dallas, and I do hope your right!!!

Some people were not so high on Griffin.  Almost everybody was after his rookie year, and then 2013 happened.  

I keep saying that I'd take the stat line from the Texans game 16 times out of 16 games, maybe with a TD.  He was fine, and not anywhere near the reason they lost that game.  

And opened the next week strong.

I also don't think he's going to be in the pocket a lot for the time being.  but we'll see.

The injury thing is a concern.  

Neither here nor there.

I was near the field awhile back, when Vick was with the Falcons. And I was watching him warming up and you the ball was jumping out of his hand like a laser and when the receiver caught it there was a pop.

No, I agree that arm strength is not the most important quality for a QB. I was just saying that it's fun to watch a guy like Vick up close. It's cool the way that ball comes out... Different kind of human being than I to be able to do that.

I agree 100% that you cannot win that way. But are we charging for something special this year? Our season has been over. No better to time than now to let a solid back up develop. If we were poised to make it to the playoffs than its a different story.

Why are people so ready to give up on the season? Then they mock fans who actually want to win games as if we're in the wrong.

This season is about development, but a coach's message is a lot louder when he has wins to back it up.

And people act like losing and high draft picks is the key to rebuilding. Why hasn't that helped Cleveland? Or St Louis? Or Buffalo? Or countless other teams that have been rebuilding for years now.

No the key is scouting and developing players and allowing coaches enough time to grow into the job of being an nfl head coach.

But to act like we as fans should tell our team to just roll over and play dead because we've lost some games early in the season, I think I'd just plain wrong. But don't act like that is the only way cause Seattle and a lot of other teams didn't rebuild like that.

Why are people so ready to give up on the season? Then they mock fans who actually want to win games as if we're in the wrong.

This season is about development, but a coach's message is a lot louder when he has wins to back it up.

And people act like losing and high draft picks is the key to rebuilding. Why hasn't that helped Cleveland? Or St Louis? Or Buffalo? Or countless other teams that have been rebuilding for years now.

No the key is scouting and developing players and allowing coaches enough time to grow into the job of being an nfl head coach.

But to act like we as fans should tell our team to just roll over and play dead because we've lost some games early in the season, I think I'd just plain wrong. But don't act like that is the only way cause Seattle and a lot of other teams didn't rebuild like that.

I do agree with you to a point here. We need young talent and that takes picks and wise young acquisition of players. Seattle went young and has a coaching unlike any other NFL team that can COACH players to be better. Hopefully we have the coaches that can develop talent...hard to evaluate the offense at this point. Kirk regressed, so was he not coached, was he coached incorrectly and he didn't respond, or it was all on him. Tough to say. Do we coach the horrible technique at the online blocking, or tackling on defense. Seattle had a belief in rebuilding to go young, and had the right scouts, talent acquisition, and coaches. So you're right they did it the right way. Do we have those pieces here?

I do agree with you to a point here. We need young talent and that takes picks and wise young acquisition of players. Seattle went young and has a coaching unlike any other NFL team that can COACH players to be better. Hopefully we have the coaches that can develop talent...hard to evaluate the offense at this point. Kirk regressed, so was he not coached, was he coached incorrectly and he didn't respond, or it was all on him. Tough to say. Do we coach the horrible technique at the online blocking, or tackling on defense. Seattle had a belief in rebuilding to go young, and had the right scouts, talent acquisition, and coaches. So you're right they did it the right way. Do we have those pieces here?

Cousins isn't the first qb to regress, and it doesn't mean our coaches aren't reaching huh. He performed very well, but the coaches need to find a new way to get him over the interception hurdle. Give Gruden some time, as many have said, many young good to great qbs have thrown many more ints, and grown from it. Many were benched in the process.

But I may be the only one who has faith in our scouting department. I was looking at the draft prediction threads and saw that many people were suggesting we draft Jackson Jeffcoat in the third. We got him as an udfa. The Comptons are showing that they could be value pickups. Breeland looks good. Robinson too. Our depth on offense hasn't been tested, but outside of polumbus, our offense is performing pretty well. Our running game can be improved but I don't know where the blame goes just yet.

I just think we're doing a good job in bringing in young guys to compete for roster spots and it wouldn't surprise me if we had one of the youngest rosters in the league next year.

Morning every one. Im new here. I am in Texas, and watched a lot of Colt Mccoy both college and pro's. Also like now, read a lot of team forums for cleveland and san fran.

Colt Mccoys numbers from cleveland. 59%--4,529--6.3 YPA--22 TDs--20 INTs--76 Passer rating....as posted earlier in this thread

What these numbers dont tell you...Cleveland led the league in dropped passes....and I mean led the league. Not only did his receivers have bricks for hands, his line was a sieve. In cleveland he was running for his life after 1-2 seconds. No time for plays to develop. Aftre Hillis 1 crazy year not only did he not have receivers or a line,he had no running game....No QB can win like that.

What you saw against Tenn. last week...comes in cold and throws 11 of 12. mistake free football, and does his part in creating a win.

He did this against the patriots, and the saints his rookie year as well. What he has never had is more then 1 full year starting in the same offense w/ the same coaches. I think if he gets that he can be a starter, and a good one. 

As far as his arm goes...I remember reading on a san fran forum. He broke a receivers finger in camp. I think if he could fix the flutter in this passes he gains another 10-15 yds.

I dont know if he beats Dallas Monday, but I believe its possible.

Everybody points to talent deficiencies. I'm not sure how many deficiencies there are, honest. There are some, without question. But I honestly think that this season was over when Griffin went down and Cousins started throwing picks like giving candy away at Halloween.

I think there are a nucleus of pretty good players on the team that you can build around: Griffin, DJax, Garcon, Roberts, Reed, Trent WIlliams, Kerrigan, Amerson, K. Robinson and Breeland. Hatcher is a rent-a-player for a few years, but he's pretty good.

I like Will Compton too (not just because he reminds me of Thor) and I wish we continued to start him - hopefully they rotate him and Riley as has been mentioned. Jenkins and Kearse seem solid rotational guys and Baker has made plays (and freed up others to do the same), unfortunate that his sacks keep getting nullified.

Anyway, I agree - we have a decent core of good/promising players, "just" need to fix the oline and safety spots and maybe add a young dlineman or two. Oh, and someone to replace Biggers pls.

As I've said before, Cofield and Griffin returning could elevate this team from below average to above average. Compton has a big opportunity to help the oline as well. I hope he's able to take advantage of it. Same with Murphy.

I dont know if he beats Dallas Monday, but I believe its possible.

Good first post and welcome to ES. I dont think Colt is going to be the starter here or any threat to RGIII but I do think he can be a very good backup. 

As for beating Dallas thats going to take a very good all round team performance in all 3 phases - something we have not seen for quite a while - and Dallas making mistakes. 

Good first post and welcome to ES. I dont think Colt is going to be the starter here or any threat to RGIII but I do think he can be a very good backup. 

As for beating Dallas thats going to take a very good all round team performance in all 3 phases - something we have not seen for quite a while - and Dallas making mistakes. 

romoSUCKS is due for 2-3 INTs and Murray 1 fumble.

Maybe I am a crazy person. But I think we have a legit chance to win this game.

Jay's passing game can be productive. Kirk Cousin was putting up some good numbers and at least for me Colt McCoy isn't that much of drop off (if at all).

If McCoy can make better decsions and show more poise on 3rd downs and not turn the ball over I am certain we will move the ball against their defense.

No whether or not the offense will be efficient and win time of possension is a different story that falls in the lap of Jay Gruden.

But we should be able to move the ball against their defense.

Our defense is designed to stop the run first.

And our special teams....well....meh

Maybe I am a crazy person. But I think we have a legit chance to win this game.

Jay's passing game can be productive. Kirk Cousin was putting up some good numbers and at least for me Colt McCoy isn't that much of drop off (if at all).

If McCoy can make better decsions and show more poise on 3rd downs and not turn the ball over I am certain we will move the ball against their defense.

No whether or not the offense will be efficient and win time of possension is a different story that falls in the lap of Jay Gruden.

But we should be able to move the ball against their defense.

Our defense is designed to stop the run first.

And our special teams....well....meh

I think we will move the ball and score points as well. I agree with your assessment of McCoy as well - I'm hoping he shows the same poise he showed last week and we see better decision making in key situations like 3rd downs. The trouble is IMO it will need the defense and special teams to also perform at a high level for a win.

I think we will do OK against their running game - they will get their yardage on the ground but I don't see them running at will. My concern is that in stopping their running game we will not be able to protect our secondary and we are going to find it hard to stop Romo and a good Cowboys receiving group. I think we are going to find it hard to stop them.

Then there is special teams - giving up field position on a consistent basis is not something we are good enough to overcome, let alone giving up points on returns and blocked punts.

I think we will move the ball and score points as well. I agree with your assessment of McCoy as well - I'm hoping he shows the same poise he showed last week and we see better decision making in key situations like 3rd downs.

Tangent but this makes excited for when Griffin finally comes back. If Kirk can look good in this offense then the sky is the limit for Griffin. Poise and decision making are areas that Griffin does well in comparison to Kirk. Even last year on 3rd downs...

Kirk...5.4 ypa...58%...73accuracy%.....2.3 TD%.....4.7 INT%....62 QB rating.....-2.0 PFF

Robert.6.4 ypa...60%...75accuracy%.....5.3 TD%.....2.3 INT%....87 QB rating.......9.5 PFF

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/06/23/qbs-in-focus-griffin-cousins/

his chemistry with desean jackson.  we are going to need a big game from him to beat the cowboys and i think kirk gives us the better big play ability.  but like i said, he should be on a short leash and as soon as he ****s up, hes done.  i think this game is his last chance anyway because rg3 is probably coming back.

So i called this one. They cant cover desean but mccoy cant get him the ball. Should have started cousins

After watching McCoy I sort of wonder if we'd be in contention right now had we given Cousins the hook earlier.

Cousins played pretty well for a week or two and Colt won because of his play, but really because the D and the special teams finally had the QB's back.  Maybe we win one or two more, but we'd been giving games away almost did it today too.  Glad we came through.

Cousins played pretty well for a week or two and Colt won because of his play, but really because the D and the special teams finally had the QB's back.  Maybe we win one or two more, but we'd been giving games away almost did it today too.  Glad we came through.

Yeah, McCoy didn't make many mistakes tonight, and we needed that. 

But we needed a QB to make a lot of plays vs. the Giants, Eagles and Seahawks. Cousins didn't make enough, but I doubt McCoy would have made anywhere near as many.

Archived