Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FP: RG3 and Failed Completions

Paul Cumberland

Anyone who says RG3 didn't step up into the pocket clearly wasn't watching the game.  Are you telling me that in every drop back that RG3 had, he didn't have a pocket on one of those plays?  C'mon man!

I'm the biggest critic of Chester and Polumbus.  They are pretty much awful and have been since last season but at times there was a pocket and instead of sliding away from pressure, or stepping up, RG3 almost ALWAYS tries to get outside the pocket.  All DLinemen have to do is contain and he pretty much runs right into them.

Oh don't be such a drama queen. Nobody is saying or has said that you or anyone else can't criticize RG3. The problem comes when people keep making outlandish claims and silly criticisms that go completely counter to the facts. 

Yea what a drama queen of me to say that RG3 wasn't playing well during the Texans game and gave reasons for it.... lol 

Looks like there is a major difference in the offense when we aren't being held back by the OBVIOUS things that people have been saying all week about RG3 which were nothing but fair, but ole well, we were all absolutely 100% clueless apparently and just got lucky this week.

--------------

we are now up 30-7 

Dude, it's just Jacksonville. Start bragging if Cousins can duplicate the same performance against Philly next week.

Or, I don't want to be called a "drama queen" as a response to criticizing RG3 PRIOR to today's game, when everything I said was fair... Also, I was never in the start Cousins camp, but clearly the criticisms I had of RG3 are being revealed by having a different QB in the lineup already. 

Or, I don't want to be called a "drama queen" as a response to criticizing RG3 PRIOR to today's game, when everything I said was fair... Also, I was never in the start Cousins camp, but clearly the criticisms I had of RG3 are being revealed by having a different QB in the lineup already.

How are they being revealed? Griffin played decent against a strong Texans defense and looked good today before his injury.

How are they being revealed? Griffin played decent against a strong Texans defense and looked good today before his injury.

You do realize that this is how I eventually get painted into a corner, nothing against you of course, but this is a long running narrative I've had from one thread to the next where I've gotten into different disputes with different people.

I'm speaking in shorthand, I'm not going to get accused of being "rash" or "hating" purely because I am not going to bring you entirely up to speed.  If you are OK with that, then I will respond without being cynical.

Clearly, as a whole, many of the flaws that we are waiting on Griffin to improve upon, feeling the pocket, keeping your composure with pressure, making more complicated reads, are all clearly something he was lacking as a "pocket QB."  We are getting the unfortunate benefit (due to injury) of already seeing what a more "conventionally ready" pocket QB can do with the exact same talent on offense.

I know we are going against a different team than last week, but neither one of these teams are Seattle or Denver, so we shouldn't be making it sound like texans vs. Jags is all that large of a difference.  I know home/road matters too.  I really do take all this nonsense into account before posting an ultimate opinion on something, I swear. 

I'm MUCH more amicable than people are making it out to be. I think fair is fair... I am one of the many people that had an entirely "happy go lucky draft grade,"  it's not as if I am just a "negative" fan or something. 

I understand your point, and I appreciate the non-cynical tone. I do disagree a bit on how Griffin had looked in the regular season, as well as the margin of difference between Houston and Jacksonville's defense. The Texans were able to sit in Cover 3 all day because their DL was just that damn good. The Jags defense has shown today, regardless of which QB was starting, to not be able to generate consistent pressure on the passer without committing more rushers. This means Cover 3 is out of the question and we've been able to be much more vertical today.

We probably would've scored a TD on that first drive if the refs called DJax's catch on that deep pass correctly. Griffin looked good today. But regardless of that, if Cousins looks like Tom Brady for the rest of this season than fans on both sides of the Griffin debate aren't going to want to see him as QB1 anymore.

Just look what this offense is capable of with a quick throwing decisive QB. I thought RG3 looked good before the injury but Cousins ran it like he's been in it for years.

That's because he has been in it for years essentially.

Anyway, the knock on Cousins is his ball safety, making bad decisions(albeit fast) and throwing INTs.

He stayed away from that today and if he can continue to take care of the ball while running the offense like this, we should be in good shape with him at QB.

The Eagles game next week is going to tell us a lot about this team, both offensively and defensively.

I understand your point, and I appreciate the non-cynical tone. I do disagree a bit on how Griffin had looked in the regular season, as well as the margin of difference between Houston and Jacksonville's defense. The Texans were able to sit in Cover 3 all day because their DL was just that damn good. The Jags defense has shown today, regardless of which QB was starting, to not be able to generate consistent pressure on the passer without committing more rushers. This means Cover 3 is out of the question and we've been able to be much more vertical today.

We probably would've scored a TD on that first drive if the refs called DJax's catch on that deep pass correctly. Griffin looked good today. But regardless of that, if Cousins looks like Tom Brady for the rest of this season than fans on both sides of the Griffin debate aren't going to want to see him as QB1 anymore.

Thank you for the reciprocation, really.

No look, the texans certainly have more proven talent on D, as well as, well, one of the greatest defensive players of this generation, so I firmly expected RG3 to be better today, both because of Jaguars' defense being more unproven/less talented as a whole, but also because RG3 had another game under his belt.

I agree that RG3 looked really good until that last play, and you know much more than I'll ever know about schemes and such so I take what you're saying as good info of course. 

So, thanks for discussing, and I'll be sure to always read your posts in particular, and even if on the outset I disagree, I'll make sure to do my best to view your posts from outside my own perspective if any drastic disagreements ever occur... and same goes to anyone else that reads my novels amicably! lol.... 

For real, this is a big game already for the Redskins. I think they have a legit shot at beating Philly, I like this offense behind Cousins. I pray DJax can play.

I highly doubt that. The way that safety fell on him with his full weight, Jackson likely separated his shoulder. I had the same exact scenario happen to me when I played football. He's going to be out a minimum of four weeks I fear.

I highly doubt that. The way that safety fell on him with his full weight, Jackson likely separated his shoulder. I had the same exact scenario happen to me when I played football. He's going to be out a minimum of four weeks I fear.

Desean is day to day, so you never know.

Last time he injured the AC joint, anyone know how long he was out?

I think they let it slip that RG3 has a fracture in the Jay Gruden press conference.  How do you know about a dislocation but not a fracture? It's not like they didn't already x-ray it...

It's so incredibly sad.  RG3 finally looked REALLY good today.  His deep pass was a little short but was a completion to Jax.  He was scrambling well and even ran a few read options.  Heck, his SLIDES even looked good.

We are going to get our chance to see Cousins as I see RGIII out for at least a while.

I don't disagree that Cousins is a better pocket passer today.  I just see more long term talent from RGIII and would eventually become a better QB.

Does that mean that Cousins won't win games and play well, of course not.  But, Cousins is only going to be so good.

I am upset because I wanted to see how RGIII developed this season.  How he progressed as a pocket passer.

Now the obvious question is about his ability to stay healthy.  He is either just plain unlucky or injury prone.

We are going to get our chance to see Cousins as I see RGIII out for at least a while.

I don't disagree that Cousins is a better pocket passer today.  I just see more long term talent from RGIII and would eventually become a better QB.

Does that mean that Cousins won't win games and play well, of course not.  But, Cousins is only going to be so good.

I am upset because I wanted to see how RGIII developed this season.  How he progressed as a pocket passer.

Now the obvious question is about his ability to stay healthy.  He is either just plain unlucky or injury prone.

""But, Cousins is only going to be so good.

Ok this pisses me off and it just not you man, its a lot of "experts" in here saying this crap. How do you know? Brady was a 6th round pick, I am sure his "ceiling" was a couple of inches from the floor but he will end his career top 5 QB of all time. Lets all us Redskins fans give him time to impress us shale we?

RGIII is a track star who plays football.  Said all along he's got chicken legs and is not built to last in the NFL.  It's Cousins chance to show if he's for real or it's back to drafting a QB next year.  Hopefully Mike Shanahan was right about Cousins.

We're not drafting a QB next year. Griffin will be given every chance to get his job back next year. If we draft a QB and ignore the OL again than this team and front office hasn't learned one bit from their past mistakes.

We're not drafting a QB next year. Griffin will be given every chance to get his job back next year. If we draft a QB and ignore the OL again than this team and front office hasn't learned one bit from their past mistakes.

If Cousins plays well I think next year we might see an open competition or Cousins penciled in as the starter.  All depending on how well he plays.  If he plays poorly I think RG3 is the starter and we do this over again with it being a make or break year for Griffin.   

Archived