Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo.Com: J.J. Watt shows how a $100M lineman can have bigger impact than a QB

MustangSteve

HOUSTON – Late in the fourth quarter, after Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III watched a pass carom off the outstretched arms of Houston Texans star J.J. Watt, the defensive end trotted away, wagging a cautionary index finger.

"No, no, no," Watt mouthed, as if Griffin should have known better.

At that stage of Sunday's 17-6 Texans win, the die had been cast – Griffin and Washington's offense had been solved, Watt and Houston's defense had not. It was an appropriate snapshot of two players whose season opener proved that sometimes what you see early in an NFL season could be a fair depiction of what you're going to get.

Watt is everything – every single pound and $100 million penny – that the Texans know he can be. And Griffin? He was his dinking, dunking, pea-shooting, no-running best – which the Redskins have to hope he won't be. One star is casting a tremendous shadow. The other star is turning into one.

Click link for rest http://sports.yahoo.com/news/j-j--watt-shows-how-a--100m-lineman-can-have-bigger-impact-than-a-qb-001627553.html

The only thing that lost this game for the Redskins was 2 turnovers inside the 10 yard line! The Texans defense had no answer for our running game and we still would not commit to it. Again the Skin make ways to beat themselves year after freaking year.

Eh....this is silly.

I said it in another thread. I live in Houston and have watched a lot of Watt over the past few seasons. He has this kind of game EVERY SINGLE WEEK.

He's the best defensive player in the league and is - quite possibly - the best defensive lineman I've ever seen.

He's definitely not more important than a QB, IMO.  I would have to pick Reggie White over him as far as best DL I've seen.  But...I do agree he's the best defensive player in the league right now.

What was telling in the difference between a very top player and JAG average one was in Watt's comments to a Houston paper after as noted in another thread. 

I'm paraphrasing, but it was put to him that he 'had nothing left to prove', to which he replied in disdain ' WHAT?! I have EVERYTHING still to prove!' This following on from when he signed his new contract when he said he wants people to think at the end of it that he's been UNDER paid. 

Contrast that to our franchise tagged player who openly claims he has nothing to prove to anyone!

Oh for a winner and top of his position professional like Watt who, like all top athletes, realises you have to work even harder to stay at the very top than an over hyped, under performing run of the mill player like our answer Orakpo who is only a top player in his own deluded mind. 

Hopefully Coach Gruden, who wasn't happy with any aspect last night because we 'lost', will start to change the culture and attitude around here into winners like Watt. 

Hail. 

How many games did Houston win with Watt last year? TWO. Let me repeat that. TWO!!!   He's a great player, no question about it. But let's not get carried away because he pushed around Chris Chester and Tyler Polumbus. I don' think Houston is going to win a lot of games this year and it's because they don't have a QB.

How many games did Houston win with Watt last year? TWO. Let me repeat that. TWO!!!   He's a great player, no question about it. But let's not get carried away because he pushed around Chris Chester and Tyler Polumbus. I don' think Houston is going to win a lot of games this year and it's because they don't have a QB.

I agree with this.

A good QB trumps even an all-time great D-lineman.

And a historically bad QB last year rendered Watt's greatness moot.

And Griffin? He was his dinking, dunking, pea-shooting, no-running best – which the Redskins have to hope he won't be. One star is casting a tremendous shadow. The other star is turning into one.

That's a great line, and it's also absolutely beyond frustrating to read. No, I'm not blaming the loss on RG3, but he was pedestrian yesterday at best. Those glorified stats impress me about as much as Brunell's record for completions in a row against that same team in 2006. That's not what we signed on for.

It's just unreal how things have done a 180 since that Seattle playoff game. I figured that injury might threaten RG's speed and elusiveness, and it seems like it HAS, but I didn't think he would become so mentally beaten. He looks like Erkel running around out there. He used to look like a Madden game incarnate. It's incredibly depressing to watch.

I wonder if Watt has his own logo? No? Seems like he lets his play ON THE FIELD do his branding for him.

That's a great line, and it's also absolutely beyond frustrating to read. No, I'm not blaming the loss on RG3, but he was pedestrian yesterday at best. Those glorified stats impress me about as much as Brunell's record for completions in a row against that same team in 2006. That's not what we signed on for.

It's just unreal how things have done a 180 since that Seattle playoff game. I figured that injury might threaten RG's speed and elusiveness, and it seems like it HAS, but I didn't think he would become so mentally beaten. He looks like Erkel running around out there. He used to look like a Madden game incarnate. It's incredibly depressing to watch.

I wonder if Watt has his own logo? No? Seems like he lets his play ON THE FIELD do his branding for him.

I will agree with that to an extent. He acts terrified to do anything out there and the right side of the oline is not helping at all. I blame this entire game on the coaches tbh. We knew what we were getting into with Watt and I rarely saw any increase in protection for Robert at all. Put a RB out there to help out or something. Was it roberts fault for not throwing early? Maybe idk. One thing I do know is that he's not going to mature as a qb behind a line like that.

Back on the thread topic, Even knowing what he's like, was so impressed with Watt. At first I thought " maybe he's looking like a god because he's lined up across polumbus." Then he recovered a fumble and blocked a fg. It's like we had no one that could stop him on our entire team. Guys like that deserve a ton of money no matter where they play. If Rak had done half of the things he did that game I'd be happy.

Man, you said what I said during the game....that is how Houston schemed for us - attack the weak right side of the line and keep the QB off balance during passing downs.

Any decent D Lineman would have had an impact, just that he is better than any.

Watt makes a lot of plays. And man, does that guy love to celebrate by himself and command all the spotlight.

My fiance worked in the Houston media recently.

She just rolled her eyes during the game at all the JJ Watt self promotions and the promos FOX did on him

The pushups before the game were classic 

My fiance worked in the Houston media recently.

She just rolled her eyes during the game at all the JJ Watt self promotions and the promos FOX did on him

The pushups before the game were classic 

He is like Jon Gruden and Mike Ditka... He's a caricature of himself.  

Man, you said what I said during the game....that is how Houston schemed for us - attack the weak right side of the line and keep the QB off balance during passing downs.

Any decent D Lineman would have had an impact, just that he is better than any.

I said this too but I also wondered why didn't we expect this? It's almost like our coaches thought Polumbus was going to stop him and was surprised that Watt ate our lunch. Shoot someone on twitter said we lined up Paulsen against Watt twice. I think either one or both resulted in sacks.

I also don't know why we didn't run to the right side enough to stop the left side blitz. If they stop the run, throw some quick slants and screens. There are ways to try to slow down Watt without fully relying on talent and I didn't see anyone on the team doing anything to stop it.

Watt is awesome, but Houston was also the worst team in football last year. With Watt. So I can't say he's having as much an impact as any semi-decent QB. Maybe on one play or even in one game. But not overall. Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck have been dragging whatever carcasses wear the Colts helmets to the playoffs for most of the last 5 years. Watt dragged Houston to...well no where. Can't get worst than last.

This article pisses me off and to people who don't know any better you would think RG3 laid an absolute egg and is a bust.  They are saying because Watt had a huge game RG3 is a has been and his future = bust.  Wtf??? He played pretty good, not great but definitely was able to move the team down the field and get in scoring position.  The media and the idiots that buy into this crap just f'n enrage me!

The only thing this shows is how important a good Oline is. period.  I dont care if you've got Payton back there, if he has no time to throw, then the outcome is still going to be the same.  And yes, with jj rushing in so much we should have tailored the game to their aggressiveness - the more they rush, the more we pound the ball and do short throws in the directions they're coming from

Houston suffered from injuries and a QB in Schaub that lead the league in pick 6's. He just completely fell off from the QB that took the team to 12 - 4 the previous year. Its evident that he is still in a slump because Carr, a rookie QB beat him out for the starting job in Oakland. Don't get it twisted, Watt is a beast and he is a problem every week. I watched a lot of their games last year on the NFL package.

$100 Million Defensive player against a turnstyle OLine, including from Center, RG and RT.  I don't think much of our center either, it's his job to put/get the ball to the QB.  Miscues from the center are causing Robert to fumble around after the snap.

I watched the Giants game last night.  Announcers were all forgiving of Manning:  he's in a new system, he's learning new footwork, he's taking what the defense is giving him, three OL starters are out, so backups are in, and so on and so forth.  Announcers/mediots all say it's on Robert.  Peshaw!

Archived