Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR.com: The Complicated Reinvention of RG3 - link now included (D'oh!)

Califan007 The Constipated

<sigh>  I usually regret morning coffee-fired venting later, but it never seems to stop me from runnin' my yap.

So much of the narrow-minded criticism of Robert has gotten damned tiresome. Generally I see it as a reflection of the poster's bias rather than anything of substance, but it still gets old. Have to remind myself that one definition of fan is a machine that blows air.

Robert is real, WYSIWYG real, open, honest, sensitive and caring about what gets said about him, and by extension about those around him. This is a bad thing? He needs to shut up and just play? Parse every word and action to tailor it to the media spinners and greedy fans? I'm sure I'm not supposed to suggest that anyone bite me, so I won't.

I see a guy, a young guy, THE son in a household of older sisters and parents in the military that has been a bit sheltered and coddled, put on the fast track to a career in the spotlight who has garnered all the attention because he was allowed to do what he does. He has played his way, his game, done some phenomenal **** and yet hasn't been corroded by it like a Manziel, a kid that came into the league thinking he knew it all- or at least enough- to make his game work. Last season humbled him in a way he has never had to face before. Tough, tough lesson but absolutely necessary. A day may come when he realizes just how important that hard lesson was to him and thanks Shanahan.

Now he gets a fresh start, a new staff, more weapons, good connections and relationships with coaches he has faith in and he's getting his shine back, and we are howling in the yard about Twitter? Seriously?

SMH

SMDH so hard my eyeballs rattle

I sincerely hope and pray he learns to tune out the rabble, in the press and in the fanbase, 'cuz he'll never come right out and tell 'em to STFU, it has become part of the storyline for him and he will have to live with it for better or worse.

But it doesn't mean it isn't still tiresome.

Sorry but I really don't give a crap. This isn't days of our lives. It's football. Get over it and realize that you contributed to the problems.

And BTW If you want to silence the critics, skip twitter and play better. Your footwork sucks, you are not even throwing to wide open receivers, choosing instead to throw late to guys who are covered, and oh yeah.... running out of bounds to take a big loss of yards rather than doing what any third string QB knows you must do and throwing the ball away.

And yeah, I know all of the fan boys are going to freak out about my post but this isn't the Washington Griffins. It's the Washington Redskins and I am sick and ******* tired of losing. No one wanted to draft him more than me. No one wants him to succeed more than me. But if he cant do it then it's next man up until someone can.

I read the articles, not the WP one. The BR report was very well written. Especially for BR.

The Hogs Haven blog, very well written, for different reasons. I laughed a lot. He cooked Reid.

I have to test something...

UnWise Mike.

Oh my goodness lol Screw UnWise Mike and Tony Romo.

Can we get a Jason Reid Easter egg too? lol

Mad Mike was a Shanahan apologist so it makes sense

At least he stopped pretending to be a mad "centrist."  That was hilarious, nothing centrist about him, not politically, not with football, not with his posting style.  He got the "Mad" part right, though.

I do remember a time, though, Mike, when a post by you might actually have had more substance and reason than what I saw above.  Disagreement? sure, but not a spleen-venting with little understanding of the topic or anything else.  I get that you want to win, so do I and I'm not one of these people calling for "five years" or anything, as I'm well-known as a JCampbell critic (and Brunell critic.)  But I saw a lot that first year and even sometimes last year that made me think this is going to come together.  

Griffin may never have a 19 year career here, I don't think that's likely, but if we can win a SB or two (which I think is possible if things break right health-wise for the team, etc.) then even a 9 year career would make it all worth it to me.

Throwing Some Cold Water On A Scorching-Hot RGIII Take http://sbnation.com/e/5861102 

Know I'm late to the party, but that article was spot on. The Post has such an agenda with the Skins, it's not even funny. Nothing in that Reid article had anything to do with Griffin's play on the field. Why does anyone read the WP anymore?

Griffin's play wasn't good enough last year but it certainly wasn't terrible enough for this team to be 3-13.

It is incredibly how the historically bad special teams and awful D are overlooked. 

This!

Griffin's Comp% last year was 60.1. Wanna know Andrew Luck's? 60.2. Wanna know Kapernick's? 58.4.

Yes, Griffin was off last season, no one can deny that, but it wasn't some ridiculously bad season that everyone wants it to be. Yes, he was "average" last year. Which isn't a terrible thing for a 2nd year QB coming off ACL surgery to be.

Lol, this isn't the Washington Griffin's but you sure are quick to blame him all the while the special teams were historically bad and the defense was one of the worst in the NFL. Critique away but at least make some effort to be objective.

Special teams have played just fine so far. Defense has looked pretty good. Neither has any influence over Robert missing wide open receivers, throwing late, or making boneheaded moves like running out of bounds for a loss rather than throwing the ball away. Griffin has SUCKED. 

Objective means that you can be critical of anyone. It means you don't ignore bad play because you like the guy.

Lets look at one of the most horrible QB plays I have seen in some time....

Here is the pre snap read...

p690500685-4.jpg

Note the position of the two safeties. Homeboy to the right is already pressing up towards the line but will drop back. The two linebackers in the middle are in the box and flatfooted. 

Here's the play right after the snap.  The corner to that side is busy, leaving the safety (now out of frame) to eventually cover # 82 and the other safety covering # 86. The L middle LB (circled) has dropped back a little, the R middle LB is moving forward and the R outside linebacker who was covering #86 has dropped off into a zone .

p1069111536-4.jpg

Again, moments later, you can see the entire secondary facing forward as the two receivers blow by. Note that both of them are looking back for the ball, knowing that they are open. RG3 isn't being pressured.

p861091630-4.jpg

Let's look from a different angle...

p880339561-4.jpg

Here you can still see the LILB (who eventually makes the INT) dropping into his zone as #86 passes a flatfooted RILB with nothing but green grass in front of him. 

And the most damning frame of all... Here you can both safeties trailing in one on one coverage as RG3 throws the ball underneath. If he puts the ball in the seam out ahead of #86, its a TD. If he throws to #82 its a first down. But no. He throws underneath into what is CLEARLY the strength of the coverage for an INT.

p597805657-4.jpg

If this play doesn't concern you, I don't know what else to say. 

Can he get better? Sure. He is still one of the most physically gifted QBs I have ever seen. But entering year three, I would expect he has seen enough film to read defenses better than this. And that worries the hell out of me. 

At least he stopped pretending to be a mad "centrist."  That was hilarious, nothing centrist about him, not politically, not with football, not with his posting style.  He got the "Mad" part right, though.

I do remember a time, though, Mike, when a post by you might actually have had more substance and reason than what I saw above.  Disagreement? sure, but not a spleen-venting with little understanding of the topic or anything else.  I get that you want to win, so do I and I'm not one of these people calling for "five years" or anything, as I'm well-known as a JCampbell critic (and Brunell critic.)  But I saw a lot that first year and even sometimes last year that made me think this is going to come together.  

Griffin may never have a 19 year career here, I don't think that's likely, but if we can win a SB or two (which I think is possible if things break right health-wise for the team, etc.) then even a 9 year career would make it all worth it to me.

If you want to talk politics let's take it to the tailgate and I will be happy to prove you wrong there.

If you want to talk football, you can start with my breakdown of the play above.

but if you just want to take cheap personal shots at me.... you can #### ## ###.

Objective means that you can be critical of anyone. It means you don't ignore bad play because you like the guy.

iStock_000006498992XSmall.jpg Nothing new there in those pictures, it has already been discussed.(in more detail then you provided btw) Your view of Griffin's play isn't my issue though, no offense, your assessments don't mean a whole lot to me.

My issues is how you can proclaim

...this isn't the Washington Griffins

Yet the focus of your post and the single factor you've mentioned in regards to losing is Griffin.

The laughable part is that last year's team was more hampered by issues outside the QB then any team I can remember.

Sorry but I really don't give a crap. This isn't days of our lives. It's football. Get over it and realize that you contributed to the problems.

I wish, man.  What do you see leading up to games on EVERY outlet, big or small, TV or radio or print?  The "storylines" heading into the game.  Storylines.  For professional football. That's what sells.  It *IS* a soap opera, just some of us don't really click on the articles anymore.

Mad Mike,

Above the third pic you say: 

"Again, moments later, you can see the entire secondary facing forward as the two receivers blow by."

I count 8 Ravens in that shot. Where are the other 3? 

One corner is on our left WR. The two safeties have dropped into deep zones, leaving #86 and # 82 entering the open seams between zones. You can see the feet of one of them in pic #4. In pic #5 it becomes much more clear. The other corner and our WR are out of the picture as #86 enters a deep post behind one safety and #82 is in a crossing route that has pulled his safety forward leafing the deep R side of the field open. Receivers don't get much more open than that in the NFL and RG3 is not under any real pressure. 

One corner is on our left WR. The two safeties have dropped into deep zones, leaving #86 and # 82 entering the open seams between zones. You can see the feet of one of them in pic #4. In pic #5 it becomes much more clear. The other corner and our WR are out of the picture as #86 enters a deep post behind one safety and #82 is in a crossing route that has pulled his safety forward leafing the deep R side of the field open. Receivers don't get much more open than that in the NFL and RG3 is not under any real pressure. 

So one S is mostly out of the pictures but we can see his feet as 82 goes on the crossing route. The other dropped and was probably just barely out of the picture. Does anyone have the all-22 of this? I'd really like to see where these Safeties were when RG3 threw the ball; we can't really see what was going on back there from the TV footage. I'm curious if they were bearing down on Reed and Paulsen after appearing to be open. 

This probably isn't deserving of a new article and its related to the OP, the Reid piece, and the HH piece, Boswell has an article on the subject as well - and it goes against the generally negative stant that WP tends to have. Here's a link to the article:

Thomas Boswell to concerned Redskins fans: Stop hating on RGIII

And while we're on the subject, I just want to throw in that there was a caller in today to the Grant and Danny show that just stated how I feel (and Boswell does a good job with this as well). I feel like a lot of the RG3 hate is media driven as they're looking for something to talk about and RG3 is just the easy target.

I wish, man.  What do you see leading up to games on EVERY outlet, big or small, TV or radio or print?  The "storylines" heading into the game.  Storylines.  For professional football. That's what sells.  It *IS* a soap opera, just some of us don't really click on the articles anymore.

Oh I agree. It's part of the media story line. But one week before the start of the new season I would prefer if our QB simply said "the past is past - I'm focused on the future" rather than following the media lead. Still, that's just a side story and the least of my concerns. 

Hopefully he will play well this sunday and all of this will go away but Watt and Clowney scare the crap out of me with the way GR3 has played so far.

Its 100% true though. When I start a fantasy football/NFC East blog you better believe I'll be disucssing RG3 and Eli. Except nothing sensational. I believe there is a market for football assessment on an enthusiast as opposed to purely fan level.

I can't say I don't understand the $$ behind it, its just a sad state of affairs. Its like the Nationals were in the middle of a 7, 8, 9 game winning streak and the hosts (when they talk Nats) only wanted to talk about Bryce or Strauss struggling. Those are the names the move needles. As much as we love Morris, he's a quiet guy who's just a feel good story, so devoting a day to his production and predictions will lead to no listeners, or clicks, or whatever the economy that the media personality is going by is looking for. So you see people instead write pieces criticizing RG3's "selfish" socks.

So one S is mostly out of the pictures but we can see his feet as 82 goes on the crossing route. The other dropped and was probably just barely out of the picture. Does anyone have the all-22 of this? I'd really like to see where these Safeties were when RG3 threw the ball; we can't really see what was going on back there from the TV footage. I'm curious if they were bearing down on Reed and Paulsen after appearing to be open. 

The last image tells the story. The safeties are trying to catch up but both are far behind. The routes of the two TEs are beautiful with 82's crossing route clearing the deep right for 86. There is no way in hell either can do anything if the throw is made on time and on target.  Watch any game and you will see a dozen completions into tighter coverage than that. The only way they could be more open is if the defenders fell down.

I can't say I don't understand the $$ behind it, its just a sad state of affairs. Its like the Nationals were in the middle of a 7, 8, 9 game winning streak and the hosts (when they talk Nats) only wanted to talk about Bryce or Strauss struggling. Those are the names the move needles. As much as we love Morris, he's a quiet guy who's just a feel good story, so devoting a day to his production and predictions will lead to no listeners, or clicks, or whatever the economy that the media personality is going by is looking for. So you see people instead write pieces criticizing RG3's "selfish" socks.

There is certainly a market for honest to goodness football assessment. Smartfootball, Grantland and several other sites have a following. However; Reid and most of NFL media lacks the knowledge base to pull it off. That's why I give Chris Russell, John Kiem some credit/slack because at least they make an effort.

Your bang on about that play, horrible decision and very poor reading of the defense. No question. He played badly against the Ravens in general.

The thing is the week before against the Browns he played pretty well apart from one bad throw and even worse decision. He showed patience in the pocket and went through progressions - he hit Jackson twice for big gains as the 3rd read. He hit a great deep ball to Roberts. He looked good.

So some good and some bad. Reasons for optimism and reasons for concern. Me I tend more to the optimistic side because I have seen more than enough from RGIII in games that count to have confidence he has what it takes - but I also realise there is stuff on the same tapes which can make you ask questions.

The last image tells the story. The safeties are trying to catch up but both are far behind. The routes of the two TEs are beautiful with 82's crossing route clearing the deep right for 86. There is no way in hell either can do anything if the throw is made on time and on target.  Watch any game and you will see a dozen completions into tighter coverage than that. The only way they could be more open is if the defenders fell down.

In the last pic RG3 is mid throw and the LB is already climbing Alf's back to make the deflection. The positioning of the D in that pic is meaningless they are reacting to RG3 throwing to Alf. 

I'm not saying RG3 didn't blow the read. But you can't make any conclusions from that last pic. RG3 is clearly mid throw.

Archived