Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFC East Is Up For Grabs...

Hail Em Up

Lots of changes does not equal lots of improvements (as Redskins fans should know) . Is Zack Bowman still with the Giants I did not see him on official depth charts but I may have missed him. Bit player - Thurmond I liked but he is a good No.3. and DRC as one of the starting CBs would worry me . DRC plays well when motivated and given the chunk of change thrown his way by NY do we think he will be that shining light ? Demps another off-season addition is a good platoon guy but bolsters the special teams more than anything.

A good secondary works as a complement to a good front - I like Prince and I like JPP (assuming he is healthy) but they are bright spots on a gloomy roster - Mike Patterson and Cullen Jenkins do not strike me as a scary front. JPP may have lots to do this year .

Even then I do think the Giants will struggle because of the other side of the ball.. Schwartz was a steel but J D Walton as a starter ..., really ? He has not been healthy since 2012 and was good but nothing spectacular. Then you have Mosley who is not new to the team but new to starting - three new guys is tough - but you also need to hope Beatty not only gets better (as in recovers from the broken leg) but also gets ... well better . That Offensive line was a huge problem last season and I struggle to see it improving this year given the moves made.

Every team it seems has more questions this season than answers.

Absolutely correct on pretty much all counts, definitely nice to see a level minded rival fan! We are definitely going to rise and fall by the offensive line this year, however, with this new offense the ball should be moved out quicker to help cover for that (hopefully)

Edit** Yep, Bowman is still with us

While I won't deny that the NFC East is definitely up for grabs, it's shocking how little most of you know about the Giants' moves this offseason. The defensive side of the ball (especially the secondary) has been bolstered multiple times over with DRC/Thurmond/Bowman in addition to Amukamara, Rolle, and Brown. The offensive side has been strengthened as well along the line, which will of course be the crux of this season, and skill positions minus our tight end.

I'm not going to say anyone is a runaway favorite this season, but how some of you just say how terrible the Giants are on both sides of the ball is truly astounding.

What improvements did they make offensively? Bringing in a few marginal linemen?

And I'm sorry but DRC and Thurmond are hardly anything to get excited about. But hey, it's the NFC east. Every team has a pretty awful secondary

What improvements did they make offensively? Bringing in a few marginal linemen?

And I'm sorry but DRC and Thurmond are hardly anything to get excited about. But hey, it's the NFC east. Every team has a pretty awful secondary

DRC was one of the top 5-10 CBs in the league last year, what are you smoking? Also, Thurmond was a pretty sweet slot corner especially considering the Seattle secondary meaning he was seeing a lot more targets

DRC was one of the top 5-10 CBs in the league last year, what are you smoking? Also, Thurmond was a pretty sweet slot corner especially considering the Seattle secondary meaning he was seeing a lot more targets

Not saying he wasn't solid (some ppl were calling for the Skins to sign him) but he's not a difference maker and the rest of your secondary isn't anything special either. Sorry lol

I don't see much talent left on your squad. But as long as Coughlin and Eli are there, nothing is impossible as they have proven over and over

Honestly, I'm tired of talking about how we can be players in our sack of trash division.  The NFC Beast is down, sure.  It will be back.

I want to talk about what we're doing to compete with Seattle, San Fran, Denver, New England, etc.  Every time we play an upper echelon team, we get our asses kicked and then we say "well, they're _____ they're like super good".

We beat the Chargers last year - they won a road playoff game and we were the only NFC east team to beat them.  We were winning the Broncos game from the beginning - the start of the 4th quarter.   We were a bad team last year, but we had our moments.

But as long as Coughlin and Eli are there, nothing is impossible as they have proven over and over

I agree. I think Eli throws a nearly impossible number of interceptions this year. Cruz suffered some sort of injury today. Randle can't do a damn thing right. Beckham is a rookie. They have no TE talent whatsoever. Their starting RB is a journeyman vet with nice ability in the passing game, but he's a walking injury and their likely back-up RB is a power running rookie with literally zero pass-catching or pass-blocking skills.

Eli is ****ed. That offense is ****ed. Their only hope is that Cruz gets and stays healthy, Beckham develops quickly, and Jennings stays healthy. Or their passing game will be a complete and utter train wreck.

I actually think the team to surprise (other than the Redskins) will be the Cowboys . They have invested in the offensive line and I think they are going to start to see the dividends, there is no question about Bryant and Williams bringing the noise . The issue with the Cowboys will be the defense . I actually think they were right to let Ware walk (despite the fact he is looking monstorous in Denver - it must be the air) but until someone emerges on D (maybe Bruce Campbell if they ever find a place to play him)  then they are going to struggle... the other huge issue is Romo and his health ...

In a perfect football world, with a perfect, or at least very good NFL team....winning your division should be an afterthought.

It's all relative.  Keep in mind, the 2012 Redskins were a Victor Cruz crazy touchdown pass away from SWEEPING the division.  In fact, besides that Victor Cruz thing, and a shaky, injured RG3, yet dominant running game vs the cowboys  thing away from CONVINCINGLY, BRUTALLY winning the division.....oh?....you say it wasn't that convincing?....YEA, cause those Redskins were 3-6 at one point.  

But they seemed to have a full understand of their division opponents.  You can throw conference opponents out the window, it doesn't really matter if we're playing the NFC Buccaneers or the AFC Raiders.  

Again, everything is relative.  Last year, we DID play the Raiders.  This was before we knew our team was a mess.  We beat them, and it was barely the only convincing performance of the year.  Same year, we played the Broncos, and wouldn't ya know it?.. we led them at halftime!...(didn't we?  I'm 'partying' and can't remember....but we lost)....anyway...for context, the Packers embarrassed us, the Chiefs ran everyone out of the stadium, and the 49ers...(which was the game I was supposed to go to...tickets provided by my food distributor at the restaurant where i work...I chose not to go....it was that bad....).... so on and so forth.

The Patriots, in their dominant years, didn't brag about beating the AFC East.  I'm sure it's important to coaches and players to have an understanding of your division opponents, but the way things look now???...I think it's more important to worry about the Seahawks, 49ers (strong defensive teams)... the Saints, the Packers, (QBs who don't care how good your defense is and make plays), and ultimately, the Broncos or Patriots who are so good at scoring they do it in their sleep.

PLAYOFF FOOTBALL.  We KNOW we can do PLAYOFF FOOTBALL.  Albeit short lived, for one quarter, even with a freak injury, even with ego coach drama, and while some things can be brushed aside, this Redskins team was HAVING IT'S WAY with the Seahawks in that playoff game, and THAT got lost in the middle of injury and coach drama.  It was, and is, SO MUCH more important to beat the Seahawks in that playoff game than it was to beat each team in our division twice.  In fact, we can afford to lose a couple division games during the season but we CANNOT afford to lose the playoff game to whoever it is, in that case the Seahawks, in which case we did a pretty impressive job of understanding and outplaying them.

You have to think ahead.  Getting in the playoffs is the reward of winning your division.  Whoopie.  It's weak to aim for winning the division simply to "GET IN" to the playoffs.  It's mindlessly macho to aim for winning the division just so you can laugh at the cowboys.

THIS Redskins team, with basically only the difference of a head coach, already showed it is capable of having it's way with it's division and capable of scoring of scoring on one of the strongest NFC teams.  Honestly folks, don't let the first quarter of that playoff game be forgotten.  That was simply an unfortunate combination of an injured quarterback  and playcallers who couldn't adjust.  Seattle Seahawks....lol  those dudes were CONFUSED like we haven't seen since when they went against our offense.  The Seahawks won a Superbowl because they're consistent, disciplined.  Our Redskins team BROKE that for at least 2 quarters.  Their super awesome scary defense did nothing.  We didn't allow them to play plays because we made plays before their players were able to scramble to them....understand?....

...These are things we don't necessarily have to focus on in division games.  In division games, we basically have to do this:  COWBOYS:  put any kind of pressure, or okie-doke moves with linebackers on tony romo late game so he makes a bad throw....(honestly, side note: after studying tony romo......dude is good at reacting, but TOO good...it's TOO easy to fake like you're blitzing him, or occupying the lane for his checkdown...fake that jump in front of Witten, let tony pump fake then run in front of Witten's pass route - he catches a lot of things away from his body- and knock it down or catch it).... 

EAGLES:  I'm so tired about hearing how nick foles is SOOOO smart and NEEEVER throws an interception.  This is where Jim Haslett's style of defense SHOULD have come in handy but failed.  It's because the polar opposite, move-around playmaker mike vick is what we planned for.  Those extra seconds when the 'scrambling' QB is moving around is the perfect time for DHall and his CB 'opportunistic defense' Jim Haslett proteges to make a play, gamble, and either knock down or catch a pass on a play that can either be 'magical' for the offense, or a turnover for the defense.  This is the only reason I like Haslett's defense.  He's thinking proud, strong.  He's thinking:  An offense like this....especially some straight-outta-college hotshot like chip kelly....he's thinking....ok...we'll let you be cute with all your misdirection, fast tempo things in your playbook...he's thinking those unusual plays will play right into his defense's hands...instead of jamming and eliminating your guys at the line...we're going to let you think you have a play and then we're going to take it from you.  This will work IF the Redskins offense can put up enough points or at least be scary enough to let you know we will control the clock.  The thing with these....'new'  'fast paced' eagles is to make them nervous, make them feel like the clock is ticking.  Make this up and coming nick foles NOT run to the line quickly because his coach said so...but because he feels like he HAS to because he is in a DESPERATE effort to score points.  nick foles in a tie game does a very good job of feeling confident, following coaches orders, and letting shady mccoy make plays by putting the ball in his hands quickly as possible.  Abysmal as it's been, if the Redskins defense does one thing well, it's stopping OBVIOUS running plays.  They've seen Alfred and Helu work the cutback in practice too many times to let shady do it, even if they allow 11 yards and a first down...it won't be a touchdown....iggles games should be mighty entertaining...

GIANTS...?...Really?  GIANTS?  Am I the only one that can see the obvious downward slide the Giants are in right now??  Eli.  Refer to my post in the "I wish we got" thread where I wish we had got Peyton 2 years ago.  Having Eli, 2, 4, or 8 years ago would have been great.  Eli DOES have an ability of his brother's, in which, unlike most quarterbacks, he is playing a game of chess while everyone else is playing checkers.  Also, like Peyton, Eli has spent his career trying to overcome the inadequacies of his teammates: ...that is - in a perfect football world with perfect receivers and perfect lineman, he knows he could execute plays to perfection because he can see them in his head......well, sorry Eli... although you have more rings than your brother, and you KNOW you're a mind reader at quarterback,  you're clearly going to spend the rest of your career TRYING and not DOING.  Which isn't hateful.  It's crazy enough you took 2 mediocre teams to Super Bowl titles, that deserves a TON of praise in it's own way, and will NEVER be forgotten...but you're not going to make lighting strike 3 times....your team is predictable.  The giants are at the point of exciting regular season wins when Eli looks like the smart quarterback that he is...but unlike his brother, he's not going to manipulate the years' great teams into beating them.  The manning brothers have a way of seeing plays before they happen.  Peyton can see that all the way to a superbowl matchup.  Eli, from now, will see it to the end of a regular season finish and no more.  Simply put, Eli's luck HAS to have run out, and versus a new, improved Redskins team this year, I don't think there's enough magic left.  

**** the division.  I'm so glad we're playing the Seahawks AND the 49ers this year.  I hope we play them each twice.  I hope the second Seahawks game is the NFC championship.  Sounds homer-ish, but you know what?....don't forget...we HAD....OUR....WAY with the Seahawks in that playoff game for awhile.  Let's do it again.  What's changed?....Shanny isn't here?  so what?...RG3 blew his knee out on the second touchdown drive and wasn't the same since?  Well yea.  How about a game where our badass dangerous quarterback doesn't blow his knee out?  

This offense, if matured properly, will have defenses thinking that the LAST thing they're worried about is RG3 running.  Alfred Morris, our running game, the way it looked under Shannahan, the way our lineman are trained, and even the way it's looked in preseason.....it will be feared, it will be noted...but we're not giving it the credit it truly deserves.  Our running game will allow us to HAVE OUR WAY with opposing defenses, MOST EASILY our DIVISION OPPONENTS.  Helllo?, have we been paying attention?  Our problem is defense.  We've boosted our offense, which should make it viable to gamble on defense as we do.  

The NFC EAST should be an afterthought.  We have the most dynamic, biggest upside QB.  We have a MONSTER (other NFL player's words, not mine) at RB, a strong Oline to lead said running game...the best catch-and-run WR in the league and his name his Garcon, that's right, even Megatron just makes his plays catching balls above people and being big...Garcon can take a dumpoff to the house like no one else...an interesting TE game, and for crying out loud, what are you gonna do when Desean Jackson runs behind the line for what might be a reverse, or just plain lines up wide anyways. 

The Redskins offense will write itself, and it will do so all over the NFC East.  The challenges will be the Seahawks, the 49ers, and whoever we face in the playoffs.  

Hasn't the NFC East been up for grabs every season for awhile now? Past 2 seasons was worst to first and it's going to happen again. I think it's going to be a tight, tough 3-team race between us, Eagles and the Gnats. Eagles are a good, talented team but I don't think they will be as good as last year. Now that teams have tape on their offense I don't see them having the same success, especially since I think Foles will not repeat what he did last year. The Giants did make improvements in their secondary, however they have very few weapons on the offensive side of the ball. As for us well we all know what the Skins did this offseason to improve.

As far as the Cowgirls go...Tony Romo is Tony Romo. Jerry will never get back to the glory days with his continuing mediocrity. Garrett is one of the worst coaches in the league and that defense looks very weak.

I'm going to say we finish 4-2 in the division and our final record is 10-6. Eagles finish 9-7, Gnats 8-8, Cowgirls 6-10

Sure, it might go down as you say, but assuming Chip is a one year wonder and that Nick will regress are hardly sure things.

Definitely agree re chip. But not re Foles. He will almost surely regress, because his numbers were insanely, unsustainably outstanding last year. The question is whether he regresses a lot or a little

Man, I remember waking up in the morning to watch the Osaka game with my dad. I also remember that same year the 49ers laying the smack down on is in SF. I still have trouble comprehending that we won more preseason games last year then regular season games. Houston game can't come fast enough...

Man, I remember waking up in the morning to watch the Osaka game with my dad. I also remember that same year the 49ers laying the smack down on is in SF. I still have trouble comprehending that we won more preseason games last year then regular season games. Houston game can't come fast enough...

yeah, that's a tough pill to swallow.  But, all together we won 7 games, that's gotta be somewhat good, right? :)

I just hope the Texans don't learn to play football until week 2.  They didn't look so hot in their pre-season opener.

I'm making my prediction now.

As much as it pains me, the Eagles will win the division at 10-6

Redskins, Giants, and Cowboys will all be bad or mediocre, the biggest upside being that the Giants and Cowboys will be moving downward and the Skins will be moving up.

I just don't believe in our THIN (and currently not 100% healthy) safety situation, our still uncertain o-line, or really any piece of our defense except the outside linebackers.

Our offense will be better, but a LOT rides on how RG3 responds. He has the pieces - what he does with them is up to him and how well he is coached to get rid of the ball quicker.

Eagles 10-6

Skins 7-9

Giants 7-9

Cowboys 4-12

That said, I still think it will be a fun season to watch and analyze and a great setup for an amazing 2015 campaign.

Even if that's true, the defenses across the board bring the division down to mediocre to bad.

PLENTY of points are gonna be scored in the NFC East this year

Even if that's true, the defenses across the board bring the division down to mediocre to bad.

PLENTY of points are gonna be scored in the NFC East this year

Yeah I read that too. NFC East is dead last when it comes to defenses though. Call me a ****-eyed optimist but I think our Defense will be solid this year. I'm looking for Amerson to step it up big time and Clark to guide this secondary. Also remember that our excellent pass rush with Hatcher added on the line, will create more turnovers. HTTR!!

As others have said, the division is up for grabs. Anyone can win it. I'd say the Eagles are the favorite by a slight margin.

If what I'm reading about the Eagles are true, then they're the favorite. 

I don't see how the Skins can manage to stay above .500 with the secondary still in question.  CB play is sub-par and no improvements.  The safety position has a bit of upside if the vets stay healthy enough to stay on the field.  However, if they keep playing from behind then they will remain well behind an Eagles team that actually has improved and won the division last year. 

PFT has an article about Jeremy Maclin toasting Revis all day long as the Eagles are practicing witht the Patriots this week.  His repaired ACL is 100% and he can surplant the loss of DJ, so their still set at WR.  They have a running game and play fast and can expect similar results with basically an improved squad.

Giants...offense is going to be hurting.  They'll be playing from behind most the year.

Cowboys...Romo.  His back is shot.  He's done.  They're expected to be in the seller.  Can't see any reason for them to overachieve.

Eagles

Redskins  .500

Giants

Cowboys

Yeah I read that too. NFC East is dead last when it comes to defenses though. Call me a ****-eyed optimist but I think our Defense will be solid this year. I'm looking for Amerson to step it up big time and Clark to guide this secondary. Also remember that our excellent pass rush with Hatcher added on the line, will create more turnovers. HTTR!!

Clark is 34.  Hopefully he can stay healthy.  BM is always hurt.  He's only played in 14 of 32 games since becoming a Skin. Safety is still a concern until proven otherwise. 

Amerson definitely needs to take the next step in order for the defense to not give up easy points and run the same 'playing from behind' game.

Hatcher should be ok in a few weeks but I don't think I can call Hatcher a game changer or swing that defense.  Definitely not worse with Hatcher, but until proven otherwise his sack totals from last year mean nothing in new defense.  He hasn't been on the field and needed the reps.  Hopefully he'll catch on

Defense is the key to the tittle in the NFCE for sure. 

Not sold on the Eagles - Just not yet anyway. I am not saying the league will figure the Eagles out, but they had an awful lot of things go their way in 2013 and Just like Foles throwing 27 TDs to 2 Interceptions I can see them regressing back to the norm... Also you have to remember they are going to be without the PED cheat RT (lane johnson) for the first 4 games - and I always worry about kids getting caught in the rookie year (essentially) on a substance abuse thing, because you wonder just how long they had been getting away with it and if the player they were when they were drafted was because of them or because of 'enhancements'.  

Also I would be concerned over Maclin, he may be the guy to make the fans forget about Jackson BUT when has he been healthy an entire season. Kelly brought in Huff and Mathews but word is on Mathews is he has had little experience with the 1st string - It is an attempt to not overwhelm him but you also consider Marcus Smith is another - wait and see player - it seems they were long term planning in the draft at least...  

Then you have where they did add players in the offseason and you have to say the best addition would be Sproles... at a position they already had McCoy - I am old fashioned . I like my team to have a feature back and then change of pace guys come in, in Sproles they appear to have picked up an older less rounded version of McCoy and I am guessing there will be more rotation at the position or more 2 back sets, and kind of using the backs as Joker HB/TE... I am guessing... but looking at the other FA brought in and well erm Nate Allen is someone they didn't like before and brought him back, and essentially replaced a similar player (Chung - who I thought was better) with Allen... and Nolan Caroll at CB................. Still there is Malcom Jenkins at S and he may transition well but the defense needed help and it kind of didn't get it. I like Kendricks in the middle and Cox is always going to be interesting but I think both Cox and Kendricks would be better played in a 4-3 alignment ... and looking at the rest of the roster you have to think erm maybe they should have done more to help that particular transition, because Conner Baldwin and Trent Cole are looking very exposed on the edges...

So not sold on the Eagles ... they might be good but I saw them as a very fortunate team last season, and I saw seriously long stretches of ball games where the offense simply stalled against not fantastic defenses... and they went 10-6. Against a tougher schedule and with things returning more to the medium point I can see the Eagles strugling, and then you really are going to see if Kelly can handle a NFL roster of grown up cry babie atheletes....

Honestly, I'm tired of talking about how we can be players in our sack of trash division.  The NFC Beast is down, sure.  It will be back.

I want to talk about what we're doing to compete with Seattle, San Fran, Denver, New England, etc.  Every time we play an upper echelon team, we get our asses kicked and then we say "well, they're _____ they're like super good".

Sorry, I'm just sick of the "our division sucks so bad we just might sneak in there at 8-8!" talk.  What the **** does it matter if we can't build something that can take us past wild card weekend?

I'm gonna be patient with Griff and Gruden this year.  Haslett can **** off.  He better inspire our boys to climb mountains.  

Holddd driverrrrrr. We won 3 games last year. For this year we need to worry about the NFC East. Yes if we play an upper echelon team we will lose. Maybe this year we can compete a little better with the 49ers. I went to that game last year and it was terrible not to mention I almost lost my toes to frostbite.

Archived