Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I want to sue the republican party for willful denial of scientific evidence about climate change.

Mad Mike

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/teen-activist-to-lawmakers-try-harder-on-climate-change/2019/09/17/ea059eb8-d9ad-11e9-a1a5-162b8a9c9ca2_story.html

Swedish teenager Greta Thunberg offered a blunt message to Congress on Tuesday as she brought her campaign for urgent action on climate change to the U.S. Capitol.

“I know you’re trying,” she told Democratic senators at an invitation-only forum, “but just not hard enough. Sorry.”

Massachusetts Sen. Ed Markey thanked the 16-year-old activist for her advice and her activism, which has gained worldwide attention by inspiring a series of protests and school strikes, including one set for Friday.

Thunberg and other young activists bring “moral clarity” to the fight against global warming, Markey said. “We hear you,” he told her, vowing that lawmakers “will redouble our efforts to make sure that we inject this issue into the politics of this building and this country because time is running out.”

Markey and other lawmakers hailed Thunberg as a “superpower,” noting that her activism has drawn a passionate following of children essentially challenging their elders to take action.

“Save your praise,” Thunberg replied. “We don’t want it,” she added, especially if officials intend to talk about climate change “without doing anything about it.”

Thunberg was in Washington ahead of a global strike planned for Friday. Activists are calling for immediate action from the world’s governments to halt global warming, reduce fossil fuel consumption and avert environmental catastrophe.

Instead of listening to her and other teenagers, lawmakers should invite scientists to the Capitol to listen to their expertise on ways to slow a rise in global temperatures, Thunberg said.  “This is not about us. This is not about youth activism,” she said. “We don’t want to be heard. We want the science to be heard.”

We are now dumber than a Swedish teenager FFS (No offense Ms. Thunberg).  Some of us anyway.

• Haha 1

Her inspiration to speak out were the Parkland student activists who survived the mass shooting. 

At the age of 11, she fell into the dark hole of depression. “I stopped talking and I stopped eating. In two months I lost about 10 kilos of weight.” She was diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome and selective mutism. “That basically means I only speak when I think it is necessary,” she says. “Now is one of those moments.”

Beyond biology, what prodded her to begin her Friday school strikes were the students who survived the Parkland massacre, suggesting a pattern that is both inspiring and depressing. Where adult politicians have failed to provide moral leadership, children have been impressed into service. (See also: Malala Yousafzai.)

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/09/greta-thunbergs-despair-is-entirely-warranted/598492/

• Like 3

America's great climate exodus is starting in the Florida Keys

Mass migration begins as coastal homes are bulldozed in the state facing the biggest threat from climate-driven inundation.

Lori Rittel is stuck in her Florida Keys home, living in the wreckage left by Hurricane Irma two years ago, unable to rebuild or repair. Now her best hope for escape is to sell the little white bungalow to the government to knock down.

Her bedroom is still a no-go zone so she sleeps in the living room with her cat and three dogs. She just installed a sink in the bathroom, which is missing a wall, so she can wash her dishes inside the house now. Weather reports make her nervous. “I just want to sell this piece of junk and get the hell out,” she said. “I don’t want to start over. But this will happen again.”

The Great Climate Retreat is beginning with tiny steps, like taxpayer buyouts for homeowners in flood-prone areas from Staten Island, New York, to Houston and New Orleans — and now Rittel’s Marathon Key. Florida, the state with the most people and real estate at risk, is just starting to buy homes, wrecked or not, and bulldoze them to clear a path for swelling seas before whole neighborhoods get wiped off the map.

By the end of the century, 13 million Americans will need to move just because of rising sea levels, at a cost of $1 million each, according to Florida State University demographer Mathew Haeur, who studies climate migration. Even in a “managed retreat,” coordinated and funded at the federal level, the economic disruption could resemble the housing crash of 2008.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2019 at 11:59 PM, China said:

America's great climate exodus is starting in the Florida Keys

Mass migration begins as coastal homes are bulldozed in the state facing the biggest threat from climate-driven inundation.

Lori Rittel is stuck in her Florida Keys home, living in the wreckage left by Hurricane Irma two years ago, unable to rebuild or repair. Now her best hope for escape is to sell the little white bungalow to the government to knock down.

Imagine thinking the best reaction to this story is to laugh.  

That’s your typical Trump voter. Doesn’t care about anything beyond their personal sphere, uninterested in facts or educating themselves, easily manipulated by their own arrogance and ignorance, gleefully watching the GOP shred the party of any remaining conservative values, proud of their team’s abuse of power and war against American democratic principles, happy to ignore every expert who is warning us of an impending global catastrophe because a bunch of politicians stand up and tell them it’s all lies while waving around stacks of cash from oil corporations. I believe it was tshile who used the term “simpletons” to describe the GOP voting base a few days ago... Perfect label. Just a bunch of absolute simpletons.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Imagine being such a loser that you talk **** about a 16 year old speaking truth to power. 

I saw that human trash Dinesh D’Souza called Greta a Nazi today. 

You know she’s making an impact when the  brain rot is out in full force with conspiracies of “she’s controlled by the deep state!!!”. Thumb sucking Neanderthals.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, No Excuses said:

You know she’s making an impact when the  brain rot is out in full force with conspiracies of “she’s controlled by the deep state!!!”. 

You can tell they take her as a threat when they attack her like that.  They giving her the Hillary treatment, hate her now to setup for hating her later.  Does she have Twitter?  I'd love to see her do some AOC level *****-slapping to help cement her legacy.  At least until she takes over a country and declares war on us for continuing to destroy the environment.

Confirmed she has an account, but doesn't look she's had to straight drop shells yet, Fox apologized for that pile of puss that called her retarded.

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Confirmed she has an account, but doesn't look she's had to straight drop shells yet, Fox apologized for that pile of puss that called her retarded.

She is mature and focused on solving a major crisis. No point in wasting energy on the dopes and idiots whose job is to proudly display their ignorance. 

I used to do that on a much more micro level on this board but you eventually realize that this is an issue where it’s really not worth engaging people who couldn’t pass an elementary grade science test. 

Edited by No Excuses

9 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

She is mature and focused on solving a major crisis. No point in wasting energy on the dopes and idiots whose job is to proudly display their ignorance. 

I used to do on a much more micro level on this board but you eventually realize that this is an issue where it’s really not worth engaging people who couldn’t pass an elementary grade science test. 

Agreed. I mentioned this in a Brexit thread, there's a certain point where trying to win over everyone isn't worth the trouble.  

Having said that, I can't help but believe there's a reluctance to go after her full force because she's still a kid, and she'll have trouble not wanting to defend herself in a couple years.  I was at the capitol last Friday just curious if I'd get to see her, the more I thought about it she's not interested in being a tourist attraction.  

She's like a puppy that plays rough and you find cute then hope she doesn't bite people when she gets older.  Feel the same way about her as I do about Daniel Hogg, we're going to see them again in the future of politics, mark it down.  I just don't expect them to be kumbaya politicians at all.

Edited by Renegade7

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

we're going to see them again in the future of politics, mark it down.  I just don't expect them to be kumbaya politicians at all.

And we shouldn’t expect them to be. I have no issue with young activists who are taking an adversarial stance against corruption rather than the kumbaya “everyone has a point” nonsense. Some people don’t have a point. Some people are idiots by choice and should be left to bathe in their ignorance without an audience. 

• Like 3