Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Anyone still bashing Anderson is stuck in 2010, overall it is certainly top 20 in the nation. Football certainly gets much of the press, but men's basketball, baseball and soccer are top 15 programs.

That's like saying GM builds excellent cars, except for the engines. Fairly or unfairly, AD's are typically judged on the success of their football programs. I give him credit for all the other stuff but we've gone from a fair team that wasn't really going to threaten the big boys but also was well coached and wouldn't embarrass itself under Fridge to a complete joke. In fairness to Anderson, we had been a joke for years prior to Fridge but if you're going to push the guy out, you'd better make the right hire as his replacement. The Edsall era feels like we're now worse than the pre-Fridge years. That's quite frankly, pathetic.

Aside from that, the move out of the ACC has been a disaster...not that that falls on Anderson other than the degree to which the red ink that made the buyout, 'er conference switch necessary was his fault. From the beginning I wondered how the alleged increase in viewership was going to happen if we were just getting steamrolled every week. Looks like I was right, just a year early on my prediction.

btfoom, you ever think MD will move up to play hockey in the Big 10?

Yes, please read below.

Uhhh, no, because the MD hockey team isn't a school sponsored team.

Not exactly correct. UMd has 2 hockey teams, both play "Club".  This means that while the University doesn't provide money to the program, they do actually 'sponsor' them as a club sport.  While many club sports exist at large schools because their school team is very hard to make, hockey is still very much run as club, especially with smaller schools and in southern states.

As for the overall question, I to believe that eventually Maryland will be a D-1 hockey school.  Below are the reasons.

1.  Big 10 - they have many D-1 hockey teams and they actually have a revenue stream.  They will look at Penn State (yes, a donor made a large monetary supply to get them going) and see that it is possible to do so and even beneficial to the school.

2. The Naval Academy recently went D-1 and saw the rewards immediately.  There are so many local hockey clubs and high schools who play hockey at a high level that want to play locally.  UMd could easily scoop them up and have a very competitive team.

3. Under Armor.  This is the biggest and very likely the defining item.  They want to get into hockey apparel, and if you see the UMd jerseys, they look great.  What better way to launch a big campaign than to have a D-1 team wear your stuff.

Now, they still need an ice rink that is their's (my understanding is that just having a sheet at a local rink isn't enough).  I could see that if a rink was built "on campus", as defined by the rules, that it would attract better players for a D1 team, local skaters for ice dancing/skating competitions, public skates, speed skating (yes, it is getting big), and maybe even a local club team.

• Like 1

Yes, please read below.

Not exactly correct. UMd has 2 hockey teams, both play "Club".  This means that while the University doesn't provide money to the program, they do actually 'sponsor' them as a club sport.  While many club sports exist at large schools because their school team is very hard to make, hockey is still very much run as club, especially with smaller schools and in southern states.

I grew up playing "Club" hockey in MD schools and playing with "Club" players on "UMD" teams.  However you slice it they are "Club" teams and "sponsor" is really a reach.  We felt the same way in high school.  Red headed step child.  Not sure how you can claim they are any more than that.

Regardless, they have a LOOOONG way to go to becoming a D1 school.  The UMD players I skate with are really "Club" caliber.

Edited by chipwhich

I grew up playing "Club" hockey in MD schools and playing with "Club" players on "UMD" teams.  However you slice it they are "Club" teams and "sponsor" is really a reach.  We felt the same way in high school.  Red headed step child.  Not sure how you can claim they are any more than that.

Regardless, they have a LOOOONG way to go to becoming a D1 school.  The UMD players I skate with are really "Club" caliber.

Really, you 'skate' with current players on the team?  When and where do you skate with any of the current D2 club hockey players?  Just curious as my son is one of them and they are pretty good hockey players.  I'd love to hear when you skate with them and how you know how good they really are so I could judge your ability to talk about them.

They play Navy every year, and while they haven't beaten Navy in the last 3 years, they are competitive.  Also, I didn't say the club was ready to be D-1, just listed ways to be D-1.

Really, you 'skate' with current players on the team?  When and where do you skate with any of the current D2 club hockey players?  Just curious as my son is one of them and they are pretty good hockey players.  I'd love to hear when you skate with them and how you know how good they really are so I could judge your ability to talk about them.

They play Navy every year, and while they haven't beaten Navy in the last 3 years, they are competitive.  Also, I didn't say the club was ready to be D-1, just listed ways to be D-1.

Yeah I skate with players at Piney Orchard that play for fun in the rec league there.

i Think it's fun to watch umd fans spend planks money in their minds.

Was just saying the same in the WVU thread.

I think it's really funny that there is so little going on in the WVU thread (just like nothing going on in WV period, well except for Deliverance re-enactments) that you feel the need to post here in the UMD thread, especially after that beating you took from Oklahoma.

BTW, ever find that recipe for ice so UMD hockey could give you a nice beat-down?

Randy Edsall to be fired!! lets go!!

Yea, this is a pipe dream. He could find a better option in 5 minutes than MD. If anything, he may want to prove he doesn't need an apparel manufacturer in his pocket to succeed.

if Kevin Plank is serious about giving him ownership in UA, he will come. 

• Like 1

It's not a total pipe dream.

I'll leave it at that.

Sounds good to me! Chip kind of already looks like a turtle, so that helps! 

if Kevin Plank is serious about giving him ownership in UA, he will come. 

That would be a srious deal! 

I'm surprised you can even do that. I mean, can you?

So you are saying I shouldn't root for the miracle upset this weekend.

As far as Kelly, if we are going to dream of a new coach, dream big. Do you know what happens when you don't dream of a big coach? You end up with someone like Edsall.

• Like 2

Sounds good to me! Chip kind of already looks like a turtle, so that helps! 

That would be a srious deal! 

I'm surprised you can even do that. I mean, can you?

Yep. You can do it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2083140-rich-rodriguezs-unorthodox-new-contract-could-open-pandoras-box

For example:

Rich Rodriguez's Unorthodox New Contract Could Open Pandora's Box

The money, according to Sports Illustrated’s Andy Staples, is just lovely by its lonesome. Rodriguez’s new five-year contract will net him $2.2 million per season. This contract is also incentive-laced, including triggers like a $200,000 bonus for winning the Pac-12 South and a $1 million bonus for winning a national championship.

This is nothing groundbreaking, of course. Shoot-for-the-moon incentives have become a fixture in the coaching world, and the Rodriguez deal is no different. It’s the other aspect of this contract, however, that could soon set a blueprint to follow, for better or worse. At one point in time, incentives were a trailblazing addition to coaching fine print. Now, such contract clauses could have company.

An Arizona donor has helped pad this deal further, offering up equity to Rodriguez, basketball coach Sean Miller and athletic director GregByrne. This “major university benefactor"—as outlined by the Board of Regents—has offered 500,000 units of a master limited partnership. Each unit is currently valued at $35.36 for a total of $17,680,000.

Rodriguez was granted 175,000 units of the 500,000, which equates to $6,188,000 right now. The only caveat for him to cash in on such options is that he has to stay at the school for eight years to receive this payout, whatever it becomes. If the price of the unit goes up in that time, his payout will go up; if the company struggles and the units drop in value, his payouts decrease.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH