Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

True, and if you can't find a QB who can throw the ball in this era of college football you cannot win. Next year the Terps have a top 5 QB coming in after making do for 10 years. Unless Edsall is despised by his players, unless he is covering up grade issues and discipline issues, unless Kevin Plank comes forward and stops the money stream, I don't see how he can be fired. And I also don't see how not firing Edsall is a bad mark on the entire athletic program.

Top 5 according to who rivals - 24/7 !

I came name a few area Qb's who are better then Haskins.

Money and politics got him where he is at.

Top 5 according to who rivals - 24/7 !

I came name a few area Qb's who are better then Haskins.

Money and politics got him where he is at.

Really no point in debating the worth of a HS QB.  He is good, big and fast, and chose MD over Bama, FSU and others.  Let's not start the hating just yet.

True, and if you can't find a QB who can throw the ball in this era of college football you cannot win.  Next year the Terps have a top 5 QB coming in after making do for 10 years.  Unless Edsall is despised by his players, unless he is covering up grade issues and discipline issues, unless Kevin Plank comes forward and stops the money stream, I don't see how he can be fired.   And I also don't see how not firing Edsall is a bad mark on the entire athletic program.

Edsall is gone. The big money donors are revolting, fan support is horrible right now.

The only goal at this point is to keep (and add to) the recruiting class right now.

Also, 2* DT Jeffrey Pooler decommitted last night.

He's been begging for other offers for months now and finally got one a few weeks ago: WVU.

Expected to be a Mountaineer.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Edsall is gone. The big money donors are revolting, fan support is horrible right now.

The only goal at this point is to keep (and add to) the recruiting class right now.

If you say so, I don't know.  I tend not to listen to Coach firing talk until I start hearing the name of a realistic successor.  And I mean a big name, because MD has reach the potential level to quit hiring "rising stars".

Edit: I'll throw a name out there.  Mike Tice.  Someone who is an easy sell to kids and Alumni.

Edited by TimmySmith

http://recruitdiaries.com/2015/09/28/te-senior/

2016 Commit DeMatha WR Tino Ellis:

I am still being questioned about my commitment to Maryland, but I stand by my decision. I remain 100 percent committed to Maryland and I am so excited to play in front of my family, friends, and the best fans in college football next year. I like to keep up with how the rest of the class of 2016 is doing in their seasons. It is important for me to keep up with other UM commits, as we will all be playing together next year. I am still trying to convince my DeMatha brother and current Penn State Commit, Shane Simmons to join me and the other future Terps in College Park. I think Shane would be a great fit at Maryland. He is a very skilled player and I enjoy playing with him at DeMatha. I believe that UM would better serve Shane and it would better fit his talents. I can’t wait to play with the class of 2016. We are going to bring something special to College Park. I am most excited to play with Dwayne Haskins, current Bullis School quarterback. He is a phenomenal pro-style quarterback who is going to throw the ball deep and get the ball down field. I look forward to taking on the next level of football with Dwayne as my quarterback.

If you say so, I don't know.  I tend not to listen to Coach firing talk until I start hearing the name of a realistic successor.  And I mean a big name, because MD has reach the potential level to quit hiring "rising stars".

Edit: I'll throw a name out there.  Mike Tice.  Someone who is an easy sell to kids and Alumni.

Chip Kelly? Kidding, he'll probably land at Miami.

Its all well and good these kids are saying committed. But if getting rid of Edsall means losing them. I'm ok with that.

The names I'm hearing are Dino Babers (Bowling Green), Matt Campbell (Toledo) etc

Personally, I'm on the Dino Babers bandwagon.

http://www.si.com/college-football/campus-union/2014/04/15/dino-babers-bowling-green-falcons-spring-practice

The Baylor of the MAC? Dino Babers and the reinvention of Bowling Green's offense

Before leaving FCS Eastern Illinois to fill Bowling Green’s coaching vacancy on Dec. 18, Babers worked at 12 different programs under coaches such as Homer Smith, June Jones and Mike Martz. In the process, he was exposed to a variety of trendy, potent offenses. His philosophy shifted when he began to work under Baylor’s Art Briles in 2008. Babers says Briles’ attack was the best he’s been around because of its aggressive approach. It’s an offense with a defensive mentality. Now, Babers wants his scheme to cause defensive coordinators to lose sleep.

“I know how to win the other way,” Babers said. “I prefer not to. It’s more fun to coach. It’s more fun for the players. It’s much more fun in practice. Practices are boring, but when you practice at that tempo, you don’t have time to be bored. You either play or you do not play. We’ll go Yoda on you. ‘Do or do not, there is no try.’ I love movies, man.”

About 70 percent of Babers’ offense at Bowling Green is a carbon copy of Briles’ at Baylor. The other 30 percent accounts for weather, since Ohio is a little bit different than Waco. The Falcons place an extra emphasis on the kicking game, spend more time under center and integrate some run-heavy formations.

“There’s up-tempo, and there’s what Baylor and Bowling Green do,” Babers said. “There are only two teams that do it. Offenses are nothing but a giant Rolodex. When 60 or 70 percent of the offenses are running it, defenses are seeing it a lot more, they figure out what’s good and bad, and they start stopping it. As an offensive coach you want to stay ahead of the trend. You know it’s good when guys are trying to change the rules without all the other guys knowing they’re trying to change the rules. I do believe that someday some defensive coordinator will sit down and figure out how to stop it. Maybe not today, but someday.”

http://recruitdiaries.com/2015/09/28/te-senior/

2016 Commit DeMatha WR Tino Ellis:

I am still trying to convince my DeMatha brother and current Penn State Commit, Shane Simmons to join me and the other future Terps in College Park. I think Shane would be a great fit at Maryland. He is a very skilled player and I enjoy playing with him at DeMatha. I believe that UM would better serve Shane and it would better fit his talents.

That last sentence...right....because Penn State has something called "an actual defense" that was rated in the Top 5 last year, and a great defensive coordinator.  Get out of here with that mess, what could Maryland possibly offer to "better fit his talents?"  It certainly isn't coaching or defensive success.

Oh, a Penn State D-End (Simmons likely position) is currently leading the country in sacks...and came to the program as a preferred walk-on.  That's coaching.

I wish Haskins all the best, I would like the PSU-Maryland game to take on more weight over the years, but you only have to look at PSU to see that the wrong coach/system (and a leaky O-Line) can ruin a highly ranked QB, the last game aside.  Edsall could be more of an anchor than some of you want to admit.

I just don't see how you can compete to win a division that features Urban Meyer, Mark Dantonio and Jim Harbaugh when your coach is Randy Edsall.  There's no way. 

I'm starting to feel the same way, just substitute James Franklin for Randy Edsall.  Great recruiter, not too skilled as a game day coach, not yet anyway.  Frustrating because PSU at least has a history of being a top tier program, which many fans remember, but haven't been able to grasp consistently since the mid-late 90's.

I'm starting to feel the same way, just substitute James Franklin for Randy Edsall.  Great recruiter, not too skilled as a game day coach, not yet anyway.  Frustrating because PSU at least has a history of being a top tier program, which many fans remember, but haven't been able to grasp consistently since the mid-late 90's.

Yep. I post on a Maryland board and we tried to tell PSU fans about Franklin.

Franklin MIGHT have some decent success but it won't be because he's a superior game day coach.

As a PSU fan you just have to hope his superior recruiting prowess makes up for his average coaching ability.

I wish Haskins all the best, I would like the PSU-Maryland game to take on more weight over the years, but you only have to look at PSU to see that the wrong coach/system (and a leaky O-Line) can ruin a highly ranked QB, the last game aside.  Edsall could be more of an anchor than some of you want to admit.

Edsall won't be an anchor because he won't be here next season.

That last sentence...right....because Penn State has something called "an actual defense" that was rated in the Top 5 last year, and a great defensive coordinator.  Get out of here with that mess, what could Maryland possibly offer to "better fit his talents?"  It certainly isn't coaching or defensive success.

Oh, a Penn State D-End (Simmons likely position) is currently leading the country in sacks...and came to the program as a preferred walk-on.  That's coaching.

Fwiw, a Maryland D-End (Simmons likely position) is currently second in the country in sacks..one behind your guy.  

Considering you have more overall talent/experience on defense than Maryland does, I guess that's coaching too, right?  ;)

Fwiw, a Maryland D-End (Simmons likely position) is currently second in the country in sacks..one behind your guy.  

Considering you have more overall talent/experience on defense than Maryland does, I guess that's coaching too, right?  ;)

False, he is 5th, and 1.5 sacks behind.  That .5 makes a difference ;)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks/year/2015/group/80

Besides which, Ngakoue came in as a high 3-star recruit, perhaps he's succeeding in spite of who your D-Coordinator is.  Nassib was a walk-on, a clear product of superior D-Coordinator-ing.

Also, it might not hurt that PSU has arguably the top D-Tackle pairing in the country, but that's totally unrelated and stuff.

False, he is 5th, and 1.5 sacks behind.  That .5 makes a difference ;)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks/year/2015/group/80

Besides which, Ngakoue came in as a high 3-star recruit, perhaps he's succeeding in spite of who your D-Coordinator is.  Nassib was a walk-on, a clear product of superior D-Coordinator-ing.

Also, it might not hurt that PSU has arguably the top D-Tackle pairing in the country, but that's totally unrelated and stuff.

Actually, Ngakoue was a consensus 4-Star but I concede the point.

I do take exception with one thing though: The fact that PSU having arguably the top D-Tackle pairing is totally unrelated.

I don't see how that can't play a factor.

I do take exception with one thing though: The fact that PSU having arguably the top D-Tackle pairing is totally unrelated.

I don't see how that can't play a factor.

If I type like I'm mumbling or trying to get away with something, like adding "and stuff" on the end, it usually means I'm kidding.  I don't use smile things very much, I prefer to keep people guessing.

Click to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Maryland-Players-Clear-the-Air-in-Players-Only-Meeting-39826439

Maryland Players Clear the Air in Players-Only Meeting

Before Tuesday morning’s practice began, Maryland players held a players-only meeting to clear the air after the team’s second devastating loss in three games.

The gathering was organized by text message. Word quickly spread throughout the team, and when it came time to meet at 6:45 a.m., everyone was present. Four members of Maryland’s ten man leadership council -- kicker Brad Craddock, running back Wes Brown, quarterback Caleb Rowe and defensive tackle Quinton Jefferson -- went before the team and spoke for about 10 minutes.

Afterwards, other players had a chance to express their feelings and the team exited the meeting ready to prepare for Michigan.

“I guess the biggest message is we’ve got to do our jobs individually; no excuses and we’ve still got a big season to play,” said Craddock, who emerged as the team’s unofficial leader last winter. “Last week happened and it’s done and we wanted to make sure we cut any negativity out before practice started today.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/ph-cc-sp-terps-damian-prince-0928-story.html

OL Damian Prince to make second straight start for Terps

Redshirt freshman Damian Prince, a former five-star recruit, will make his second straight start at right tackle against Michigan on Saturday, according to the Maryland depth chart, which was released Monday.

Prince made his first career start against West Virginia after left guard Mike Minter, who had started the first three games of the season, was lost for the season with a labrum injury. Senior Ryan Doyle, who had started at right tackle, moved to left guard.

Redshirt freshman Derwin Gray will back up Prince.