Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Good effort by the team.

Great effort by Hills.

Now...

Let's fire Edsall.

Nice to see a decent effort.

While I agree 100% about Edsall, I also feel just as strongly that the folks who hired AND extended him need to be fired as well.

He has been in over his head since day one and I blame the committee who hired him.

• Like 2

That was a good effort by the team. The MD QBs look so much better when they don't have to throw. Hills is like CJ Brown at this point. Just have him run the option, throw screen passes and short passes, etc. Then just hope that will be enough.

I don't know if they fire Edsall now or wait until the end of the year. Today's game didn't change my opinion on that. The more I read the stories, the more I wondered if they wouldn't just let him ride out the year since firing mid season is always difficult. Either way, as long as he isn't on the MD sidelines next year, I'll be happy.

Maybe your experience was about money, but they had tryouts (with a new coach) and that was how the team was made, period.

By they way, they play other D-1 teams (Navy, Towson, etc).  Just because a team isn't ready to play a top 5 team doesn't mean they aren't ready for D-1.  You understand UMd football is D-1, can they play with anyone in the top 10?  See what I mean.

Actually my experience was growing up in MD schools and playing hockey.  My high school "had a team" except they didn't.  We wore the high school jerseys, but we were just a club team with no real affiliation with the school.  I then went to UMD with no affiliated school.  I have played with UMD hockey players for years.  Why you try and sell them as a UMD program is a head scratcher.  They aren't.  Maybe it's because your son plays for them?  It's a club program.  A glorified adult league.  You understand this right?  I know you know this if your son plays in the league.

*edit* Just checked, yep they aren't a school sponsored sport.  BTW, it is a sore spot for me since I wasn't an official high school or collegiate hockey player.  We were club.

Edited by chipwhich

Question for BRAVEONAWARPATH:

What's the word on Edsall's press conference today? I saw where he got upset when asked about his pregame ritual of shaking players hands. Then there was some clapping after he stormed out. What I've read so far is that there were MD boosters in the back clapping in support of his answer. Is there any more to that story?

Question for BRAVEONAWARPATH:

What's the word on Edsall's press conference today? I saw where he got upset when asked about his pregame ritual of shaking players hands. Then there was some clapping after he stormed out. What I've read so far is that there were MD boosters in the back clapping in support of his answer. Is there any more to that story?

I don't know for sure but supposedly the boosters were clapping in support of his answer,

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

RT @BruceFeldmanCFB BREAKING: Randy Edsall has been told he's out at #Maryland, source tells @FoxSports. Terps just had a staff meeting.

I didn't think they'd actually do it. Maryland is not a football school. Edsall had a terrible first year but the team was somewhat relevant afterwards. They had enough success that I'd think in the long term picture that his job was safe. But they really didn't start off that well this year 

For me I'd have just stuck with him because again Maryland doesn't give a damn about football and his mediocre / above average records were good enough. ****, they weren't that bad last year too. 

Maryland will hold a presser at 4 to talk about the coaching change. Kevin Anderson and Mike Locksley will talk. No Randy Edsall.

People chuckling at Maryland landing a big coach underestimate the Under Armour money and new $155 million facility. They'll aim high.

• Like 1

RT @BruceFeldmanCFB BREAKING: Randy Edsall has been told he's out at #Maryland, source tells @FoxSports. Terps just had a staff meeting.

I didn't think they'd actually do it. Maryland is not a football school. Edsall had a terrible first year but the team was somewhat relevant afterwards. They had enough success that I'd think in the long term picture that his job was safe. But they really didn't start off that well this year 

For me I'd have just stuck with him because again Maryland doesn't give a damn about football and his mediocre / above average records were good enough. ****, they weren't that bad last year too. 

A couple of points here. Yes, MD has not traditionally been a football school.  Playing in the basketball centric ACC will do that to you. Edsall had taken a nothing UConn team and took them to the Fiesta Bowl. The ceiling was high for Randy and the expectations were also.  No improvement was made from year one.

You can't stick with a coach who's ceiling is 6-7 wins.  I believe the UConn team won 8 games that year they went to the Fiesta Bowl, but got beat by Oklahoma.  Moving to a "Football" conference like the Big 10 and having Under Armor, the Athletic Department wants "all" sports to be relevant.  You are wrong thinking they don't "give a damn" about football. Obviously by firing him, THEY DO. 

Edited by pjfootballer
  • Like 2

Click to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/For-Maryland-Time-to-Split-with-Edsall-was-Painfully-Apparent-40161894

For Maryland, Time to Split with Edsall was Painfully Apparent

As you read this, Randy Edsall has coached his final game at Maryland. And at the risk of sounding cold, that's how it should be.

Why? It's beyond simple: he hasn't gotten it done. And it's become painfully obvious, after watching him win precisely two of every five games during a four-and-a-half year span, that he's not going to get it done either.

Mileage from "getting it done," of course, varies wildly depending on your locale. In Columbus, where Edsall's Maryland tenure met its end Saturday in a 49-28 loss, nothing less than national prominence is acceptable. At places like Maryland, a basketball school missing the traits of a football powerhouse -- crazed football fans, top-notch facilities and rich tradition -- no one can reasonably expect to become the Buckeyes. But they can ask for something better than the results since Edsall was hired in 2010.

• Like 1

Kevin Anderson: "Over the last six games, we had a significant setback and that's why I made my decision."

Locksley: "This is shocking news to all of us ...ultimately, we'll rally this thing together."

Locksley said the team is committed to Perry Hills as starting QB. Will build the offense around him for rest of the season.

Locksley: "We all have our own individual philosophies...we won't hesitate [to make changes.]" Adds he won't make any wholesale changes.

Anderson: "Things have changed. We have more resources than when Randy was hired five years ago."

Anderson: "We want someone who will come in here and excite the fan base."

Anderson: "The fans want an exciting wide-open offense..." Says he will be looking for a coach that can bring that.

• Like 1

Kevin Anderson was asked, in effect, how he'll hire a better coach this time. "As we all get older, I think we get wiser," he said.

Some laughable names being floated for Terps job. Hard to tell if guys aren't plugged into situation or trying to help their coach friends.

Locksley said there are going to be some "tweaks" with his philosophy compared to Edsall's.

• Like 1

Kelly won't come here. Rich Rod won't leave AZ. Schiano is like hiring Edsall IMO. Don't know anything about Rhule. I'd be for Dino if those were my choices.

But I don't think anything will done or decided on until December.

My man, I really like your posts (mostly), but unless you are a part of the search committee, you don't have any idea about who will come or who won't.

For example, what if Kelly gets fired from Eagles and UA offers him stock options to come.  Build an Oregon on the East coast.  Why do you say, for sure, he won't come.  Same for Rich Rod.  The keys to a Ferarri in the Big 10, even as the Pac 10 is riding into irrelevance.  Never know.

• Like 1

My man, I really like your posts (mostly), but unless you are a part of the search committee, you don't have any idea about who will come or who won't.

For example, what if Kelly gets fired from Eagles and UA offers him stock options to come. Build an Oregon on the East coast. Why do you say, for sure, he won't come. Same for Rich Rod. The keys to a Ferarri in the Big 10, even as the Pac 10 is riding into irrelevance. Never know.

Of course. I'm just guessing at this point based on the names thrown around. Hence why I said nothing will be done probably until December. Sure, there's always a chance.

• Like 1