Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

You kind of miss the ENTIRE point.  I played for real teams and real leagues.  I didn't play for my high school sponsored team or my college sponsored team.  Neither does your son.  Rewind to my original point about the Terps in the BIG Hockey.

Yes your son plays for a team that wheres a Maryland school logo.  Congrats.

The Terps don't have a BIG Hockey Team.

Oh and just checked, yes the Hokies are a CLUB team.  You don't know what you are talking about.  Apparently you don't understand the difference between a college sport and a college club team.

Oh and some of your boys do play at Piney.

BTF, ACHA isn't NCAA. 

I think that's what he's getting at.  So, saying D2 is a bit misleading. 

Edited by RonArtest15

BTF, ACHA isn't NCAA. 

It's club hockey which I played my entire life.  It's a club sport, the only affiliation with the school is an emblem on the jersey.  Back to my original post, these teams wont be playing Michigan.  I know it isn't NCAA, but apparently he doesn't.

You kind of miss the ENTIRE point.  I played for real teams and real leagues.  I didn't play for my high school sponsored team or my college sponsored team.  Neither does your son.  Rewind to my original point about the Terps in the BIG Hockey.

Yes your son plays for a team that wheres a Maryland school logo.  Congrats.

The Terps don't have a BIG Hockey Team.

Oh and just checked, yes the Hokies are a CLUB team.  You don't know what you are talking about.  Apparently you don't understand the difference between a college sport and a college club team.

Oh and some of your boys do play at Piney.

So,  just for my finish to this as this has gone beyond the UM Terps thread.

I was asked if UMTerps could go D-1 by PJFootballer. I laid out how they could.  No dispute there.

You stepped in with you old ways of thinking, period.  You and I appear to be of similar age - my buddies played hockey in 80s and there were no organized HS teams. 

Now, there are many organized, by league, high school hockey.  My son played there.

He plays club hockey FOR the University of Maryland, just like any other Club team does.  The difference for hockey is that for almost all teams, they don't have a D-1 team, but it is still sponsored by the University.  You are just out of touch.

As to answering the question, my son's team has played against several D-1 teams, and others who have since gone D-1, and have held their own.  They could easily go D-1.

You don't know what you are talking about.  You are very much in the past and don't know the current state of UMD hockey.  If you play against these players, great, but I talked to my son and none of the D-2 players have been at Piney for quite a while.  I won't knock your play as I want to remain positive, but you haven't seen any D-2 games this year (as far as I know), most likely haven't seen them recently, and don't know JACK about the current state of UMD hockey and where they are going. I urge you to go to Laurel in a couple weeks to see them play:

Fri Oct 30 -
University of Delaware
The Gardens Ice House

8:00 PM EDT

I will be  happy to meet you there, introduce myself, watch the game, and even buy you a Coke to enjoy the game.  Deal?

BTF, ACHA isn't NCAA. 

It's club hockey which I played my entire life.  It's a club sport, the only affiliation with the school is an emblem on the jersey.  Back to my original post, these teams wont be playing Michigan.  I know it isn't NCAA, but apparently he doesn't.

You both are right, that ACHA isn't NCAA D-1. I never said it was nor did I imply that.  I have always said they are Club D-2.

That being said, Ice Hockey is very different than all the other sports.  Many teams don't have the ice sheet to be NCAA, but doesn't mean they aren't affiliated with their Universities.  There are teams who only go D-1 when they get an ice sheet - nothing to do with if they are competing with Boston, Maine, etc.

I will say again, if UA (or someone else with some money) comes along and wants to either pay for a rink or get a sheet, they will be D-1. There have been 3 Club teams (Penn State, Temple, Navy) who have gone from Club D-2 to NCAA D-1, in this area, who have made the transition.  This team has been competitive with all of them.  Their skill level isn't holding them back (if you play with guys who can't skate, as I've said, they are most likely D-3 folks).

Out of curiosity, what D1 schools has your son played at UMD?

Sorry, just saw this.

Towson, Navy, Penn State, Delaware, and Central Oklahoma (they were the D-1 ACHA National Champs and beat Navy and Penn State).

He also played one year at a local ACHA D-2 Club team for one year, but I don't want to be so specific that someone may know who he is.

Again, I'm not saying UMD Hockey would compete for a National Championship for Hockey, but D-1 hockey teams they have played have been competitive games.

You both are right, that ACHA isn't NCAA D-1. I never said it was nor did I imply that.  I have always said they are Club D-2.

No you actually attacked me and said I didn't know what I was talking about.  You lied and tried to pretend University of Maryland might compete against a D1 school.  It was dishonest.  I won't post anymore on the topic.  It pissed me off because I grew up in the system.  Your kid plays a glorified adult league/club program.  They aren't D1 talent.  Neither is Laurel or Piney adult mens league.  These kids come in and join A, B, C, ever D league Adult hockey league teams and win championships in D leagues.  It's shameful, but it's not D1 hockey.  You knew that when you posted I didn't know what I was talking about, but you posted it anyways, now you are backtracking.

Gentlemen.  I was just asking a simple question.  I was thinking with the MDs move to the BIG and them having a good hockey conference, that maybe someday MD will field a D1 hockey team.  It would probably be years down the road, but I would hope they would at least give it some thought.  When we get our full share of BIG money in a few years and the Athletic Department is on better financial footing, maybe they'll try it.

My intent was not to start a major argument. My apologies since that did happen.

Tom Izzo says Maryland is "the cream of the crop," that he sees IU taking "a major jump" and then others hunting for spots behind. #iubb

Michael DeCourcy @tsnmike

Maryland's Mark Turgeon: "With all the expectations, they really just worked harder because of it."

Turgeon: "We have an unbelievably tough schedule. We play 6 of top 7 teams in the league on the road."

Turgeon: "Did I see 28 [wins]? No, I didn't see that. Did I see Diamond Stone coming to Maryland? No, I didn't see that." #B1GMediaDay

BT Powerhouse @BTpowerhouse

Turgeon: "Stone's work habits have become better, Off the floor managed his time better"

Turgeon: "Stone (offensively) is already there. Defensively is where he's gonna have to improve."

Turgeon on Georgetown game: "Kind of a buzz would be an understament. ... We could probably use 100,000 tickets for that game." #B1GMediaDay

Michael DeCourcy @tsnmike

Turgeon said Maryland is using a 24-second shot clock in practice to help players adjust to change to 30.

MD Turgeon says preseason POY Trimble lost weight, good step, distribute the ball more. "He knows people are gunning for him. #B1GMediaDay

Daniel Martin @DMartinCSN

Tom Crean says he wants to be truly two deep at each position. Says IU isn't there yet. Maryland has that luxury.

Melo Trimble on being preseason B1G POY: "I liked it when I saw it yesterday. But it's something I have to prove."

Turgeon thinks Damonte Dodd can be the Defensive Player of the Year. As in, the NCAA's Defensive Player of the Year.

Dietary goal for Jake Layman: 7,000 calories a day. #B1GMediaDay

They're passing out notecards about next year's Big Ten media day, and lo and behold, it's being held in Washington, D.C. #iubb #B1GMediaDay

Layman told me he's been studying ATL Hawks game film. Really likes the ball movement. Stone's post presence will open up his game. #Terps

Turgeon: Want our big men to defend guards this season. Kentucky has done it last few seasons. Jake Layman will start at the 3 #Terps

Turgeon: The three is Layman's natural position. Been working on his handle and passing. Jake and Melo have been studying Steph Curry #Terps

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

You know Maryland basketball is back when people are mad about being voted the No. 3 team in the country.

Jake Layman joins Melo Trimble on the All-Big Ten team. Not on there? Robert Carter. Understandable preseason, but post-season? Watch out.

3 Terp commits are playing in this game. Well 2 Terp commits actually (Tino Ellis & Lorenzo Harrison). DJ Turner is out for the season with an ankle injury.

Lots of other Terp targets as well: DeMatha's Terrance Davis T/G (2016), Chase Young DE (2017), Anthony McFarland RB (2017) etc

National HS FB rankings ahead of tonight's #ZagsStags match up on ESPN 2. DeMatha -3rd in country. Gonzaga - 85th

http://247sports.com/Article/Jake-Funk-commits-to-Maryland-Terrapins-40299873

Big Ten Recruiting: Maryland lands complete-back in Funk

Maryland landed a complete running back on Friday in the form of Damascus (Md.) High standout Jake Funk.

The 5-foot-11, 205-pound Funk is having a terrific senior season including a 257-yard rushing performance which included four touchdowns in a win over a good Quince Orchard team.

Damascus is 7-0 and Funk is a big reason why.

• Funk has some speed, ran a 4.63 second 40-yard dash laser over the summer at the Washington D.C. Nike Football The Opening Regional with an impressive 4.19 shuttle and 37-4 inch vertical leap. Funk is definitely a plus athlete.

• Funk is a complete back. He can carry between the tackles, he can catch the football, he can block, a very accountable player that will help teams win on the next level.

• Funk is very smart, a 4.7 GPA high test score type of young man.

• Good bloodlines. Funk’s father played at Penn State.