Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

If might not over be over with Trevon.

Scuttlebutt is that he was all set to choose Maryland but decided to secure a spot with Bama just in case Mike Locksley isn't retained at Maryland in some capacity.

Basically, he's covering his bases.

Maybe that's true. But I don't blame any kid for choosing Alabama over pretty much any other school.

• Like 1

Maryland's 90.45 team passer rating this season, with three games left, would be worst from a power-conference team since Vanderbilt in 2009

For perspective on how bad Terps 90.45 passer rating is, here are career numbers: C.J. Brown: 118.4 Danny O'Brien: 120.7 Shawn Petty: 115.2

Maryland's been the among the most QB-deprived schools in the country, but nothing approaching this. 2015 will never happen again.

Maryland’s Rasheed Sulaimon recently told Mark Turgeon that he felt that him coming off the bench was the best thing for Terps.

Now, we’ll see what the injury this past week to Dion Wiley does — and whether Sulaimon winds up starting. Still could go with Nickens.

Dammit! I said injuries are the only thing that can hold back this team and that happens. Get better Wiley. We need your defense and shooting. I had high hopes we would see some improvement from him.

Meniscus tears are not the worst but can be very bothersome if not rehabbed properly. See Gilbert Arenas.

• Like 2

Dion Wiley out for the year.

IMO, too much is being made of this. This team was 10 deep before the injury, and I think Wiley was probably 9 or 10 in the pecking order. They still have Jake, Nickens, as Sulaiman on the wing and Carter can step out, as well as Melo sliding over with Blakeney in.

Sucks for Wiley, but as someone who had coached a bit of ball, sometimes having too many players hurts your rotations.

Now, if there's another injury, all bets are off.

• Like 1

Don't underestimate the loss of Wiley. He was our highest rated recruit going into last year, just going off what scouts were saying. He didn't play amazing but showed flashes of great skill. His defense and perimeter shooting will be missed.

I just want him to come back 100%. 4 months from today would technically have him return in the middle of the Big Ten tournament.

IMO, too much is being made of this. This team was 10 deep before the injury, and I think Wiley was probably 9 or 10 in the pecking order. They still have Jake, Nickens, as Sulaiman on the wing and Carter can step out, as well as Melo sliding over with Blakeney in.

Sucks for Wiley, but as someone who had coached a bit of ball, sometimes having too many players hurts your rotations.

Now, if there's another injury, all bets are off.

Actually, I think it's pretty significant loss. Not devastating but significant.

Wiley had actually won the starting SG position.

I don't think significant because of the depth they have, but it definitely hurts. Last year, Wiley reminded me of Dez Wells lite. He could do a little bit of everything, but wasn't great at one thing. I was really looking forward to seeing him in a bigger role. When they signed Sulaimon, I figured Wiley would still be a bench guy. If he had really earned that starting role, it sucks that he got hurt. However, I still think their depth is good enough to withstand this.

Losing quality depth is bad, no matter what. 

Not sure where he would fit in, or his minutes except Sulaimon and Nickens were fighting for minutes there also.

Look at it this way, if surgery goes well and he rehabs with no setbacks, It's like getting a top recruit at G next year when Melo and Sulaimon are likely gone.

Who is coming in next year? Cowan and Huerter? Both Guards. He'll be a Vet of that group.

4-star recruits Anthony Cowan, Kevin Huerter sign letters of intent to Maryland

http://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terrapins-basketball-recruiting/2015/11/11/9715910/anthony-cowan-kevin-huerter-commit-recruits-terps

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants
  • Like 1

Click to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Turgeon-on-Replacing-Dion-Wiley-Diamond-Stones-Progress-41018609

Turgeon on Replacing Dion Wiley, Diamond Stone's Progress

Maryland basketball coach Mark Turgeon joined ESPN980's Sports Fix on Thursday afternoon and addressed the loss of shooting guard Dion Wiley, who will miss the season after tearing the meniscus in his right knee. Wiley, as Turgeon confirmed, was going to start the season as Maryland's starting shooting guard.

"He had made huge strides. This summer, he might have been our best player. He was really, really good this summer," Turgeon said of Wiley, who will take a redshirt and return next season with three years of eligibility remaining.

"I told him on Tuesday before our exhibition game that he was gonna be my starting two guard, then he gets hurt on Thursday ... I feel bad for him. He had worked hard. He had really put in a lot of time in the summer to make himself a better defender and a better player," Turgeon said. "You know, he's got a lot of playmaking skills, and that's where we're going to miss him the most. He can not only score the ball but he can make guys around him better, and he had really worked hard to become probably our best perimeter defender behind Rasheed [sulaimon]."

Turgeon didn't say whether he expects Jared Nickens or Sulaimon to slide into that starting spot, but he did point out that sophomore Jaylen Brantley could benefit the most from the shortened roster.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH