Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I think it's low because of name recognition, but on the other hand... he's gotten so much love for his ability to recruit. Underarmour probably gets a veto/deciding vote.

I agree, it's gotta be low. They're probably looking for somebody that can energize the program beyond an initial spark.

Yeah, but I just hate giving home games away. Baltimore doesn't feel like a home game.

It certainly didn't. Putting such a game closer to Pennsylvania doesn't seem like a good idea.

The only way Locksley gets that job is if he has a few big upsets this year, AND they are turned down by more than a few other candidates. 

I hate saying that because its not fair. But they really need to look at the top coordinators in the B1G, along with some of these hot-shot MAC guys that seem to make decent bigger conference coaches. Then you have a few coordinators from the PAC and SEC that deserve a look.

Its not the greatest gig. But to an up and coming early 40's guy who's been on a really top notch staff. It's attractive. 

Click to read the rest http://eeditionmobile.baltimoresun.com/Olive/Tablet/BaltimoreSun/SharedArticle.aspx?href=TBS%2F2015%2F10%2F25&id=Ar04300

Backers cheer Locksley’s 2nd act Former players say interim coach should be considered for permanent position

“Illinois was doing absolutely nothing before Locks got there, and he got some guys to go there and got that program turned around,” Jordan said. “If you look with him when he was with [Ron] Zook down in Florida, Urban Meyer comes in. All of those guys that Urban Meyer was winning with, those were Locksley’s kids.

“I know [Maryland officials are] looking on the outside, but there’s no better guy for this job. I don’t think there’s anyone more deserving, He’s from the area. You look at guys like myself, E.J. Henderson, Vernon Davis, Shawne Merriman — the list goes on and on. These are all Coach Locksley’s guys.”

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

For me it's a fine line with Locksley. As a recruiter, he is a sure fire no brainer. As a coach, I have many reservations.

Wonder if he would be amenable to a created position such as "Offensive Assistant/Recruiting Director," under a young gun like Herman or Fuente? Heck, he and Herman together could dynamically change the athletes UMD gets going forward, and we'd start seeing loads of those guys playing on Sundays. The best prospect off of this squad is the kicker. Smh.

Edited by Long n Left

Another Big Ten job opens up as Jerry Kill resigns at Minnesota.  The Big 10 (14 teams total) already has 3 confirmed openings (Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota) with two more likely openings (Purdue and Rutgers) and at least two more programs with varying levels of discontent (Indiana, and maybe Nebraska). Couple that with the coaching hires of LAST year (Harbaugh- Michigan, Franklin- Penn State, Riley- Nebraska, Chryst-Wisconsin) that means Mark Dantonio (Michigan State) is the senior Coach of the conference and the overwhelming majority of coaches in the B10 NEXT YEAR will have 2 years or less in the conference.

That's a lot of turn-over in a conference that used to be known for LONG coaching tenures.

Click to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Is-Maryland-Football-a-Better-Job-than-Miami-40620507

Is Maryland Football a Better Job than Miami?

Over the past year or so, Maryland tried to build its hometown recruiting “DMVtoUMD” movement by pointing to the success Miami had beginning in the 1980s, when the local talent in Florida decided to all stay in-state. The Hurricanes ended up winning national titles, becoming rock stars in their city and inspiring an ESPN “30 for 30” documentary more than two decades later, telling younger generations the story about how program rose to prominence.

It also became a recruiting tool for Maryland, with the Terps coaching staff showing recruits flyers with their images on a future “30 for 30." But while the Hurricanes of the past have helped provide a blueprint of success for future Terrapins, could Maryland’s current future -- as it stands now -- already be looking better than present-day Miami?

“I think the Maryland job is a better job right now going forward,” ESPN college football analyst Trevor Matich said on ESPN 980 Tuesday. “I think Maryland’s a real sleeping giant.”

Matich isn’t the first to point out Maryland’s Under Armour connection or its local recruiting grounds as reasons to believe it could become a trendy destination of top football recruits. And Miami isn’t what it used to be. It plays in a stadium over 30 minutes from campus, didn’t pay top dollar for its last coach and it’s unknown whether the powers-that-be in the administration are as committed to football as they were in the past.

Another Big Ten job opens up as Jerry Kill resigns at Minnesota. The Big 10 (14 teams total) already has 3 confirmed openings (Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota) with two more likely openings (Purdue and Rutgers) and at least two more programs with varying levels of discontent (Indiana, and maybe Nebraska). Couple that with the coaching hires of LAST year (Harbaugh- Michigan, Franklin- Penn State, Riley- Nebraska, Chryst-Wisconsin) that means Mark Dantonio (Michigan State) is the senior Coach of the conference and the overwhelming majority of coaches in the B10 NEXT YEAR will have 2 years or less in the conference.

That's a lot of turn-over in a conference that used to be known for LONG coaching tenures.

Also, I live in the Carolinas, and there are a ton of rumblings out of Columbia to make Dantonio (a USC alum) an offer he can't refuse. They don't want Spurrier's kid. Edited by Long n Left

UMD D-2 Hockey team had a mixed result last weekend.  The lost on the road to a Rider Team, 7-3, who they beat a few weeks ago at home 5-1.  I have noticed that many teams don't "travel well" and I think it is because they don't have the best schedules and get to the rinks too close to game time.

On Sunday, they beat local rival (and MACH division foes) UMBC, 4-2.  My son got assists in both games.

Big game on Friday vs Delaware (in Laurel).  Should be a very good game.

Go Terps Hockey!!!!

Per @RivalsFriedman @TrevonDiggs is committing after Avalon's game vs Calvert Hall this Saturday at Calvert Hall

You already know I'm going to be at @TrevonDiggs commitment party. It's a movie. #TheMovement 1f422.png1f648.png