Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm not mad at wvu. They out worked us, imo. I've never seen a team shut down an offense like that, I mean, literally unable to move the ball past center court.

Same thing happened to SDSU against Duke. Duke had their best defensive game of the season. I was annoyed because SDSU has the length to break the pressure and didn't know how to utilize it. They could have beat Duke because offensively Duke was not all that explosive.

I thought Turgeon was trying to figure out something, he just couldn't come up with a solution. Without Melo, Dez should have been able to do an adequate job of ball handling but he couldn't. We've all seen that before. I know he tried with Wiley and Varun too. Nobody was good enough to take care of the ball. God bless that feisty little genius Varun, but he should not be attempting to be the primary ball handler in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Just not enough skill behind Melo. 

• Like 1

I wonder if it meant too much to him and he just got too tight.  This was his only chance to dance.

Maybe that had something to do with it. Judging by some of the stories this morning, maybe the crowd got into his head a little. He was definitely off the whole game, and rattled by that pressure D. Nobody else stepped up either though. Everyone contributed their share of bad play last night. They fell apart once Melo went out.

WVU plays D a lot like Seattle plays it in the NFL.  Hold, grab, etc. on every possession and the refs can't possibly call all of them.  Its pretty obvious that the only thing on the WVU whiteboard was "Kill Melo". 

On the other hand, I didn't feel Turgeon had the Terps ready for what they were about to face.  Melo was the only player on the entire team capable of navigating through the madness and I was extremely impressed with his ability to do it.  One would expect more out of Wells but he looked pretty JV against that press and nobody else stepped up to help out either.  The one thing I discounted going into this was MD's exposure to that kind of defense and it proved to be the deciding factor in the game.

• Like 1

Who cares about the physicality and reffing. Sure calls were missed but the bottom line is maryland couldn't beat the press. They knew it was coming, yet it crippled them the entire game. I was pretty shocked that a team that played so well in the regular season had absolutely no answer for the press. It was like they've never played against that defense in their entire careers.

Wvu outmatched them clearly.

Edited by sportjunkie07
  • Like 4

Next season's roster as it looks "right now".

My projected starting lineup:

PG:Melo Trimble (Nothing needs to be said. Stud)

SG:Dion Wiley (Talented but was a little rawer than expected coming out of HS. I have him as a starter mainly because he's a better defender than Jared Nickens)

C: Michal Cekovsky    (Very good athlete. Just needs to gain some strength)

SF:Jake Layman (Very talented but too passive at times. If you noticed Layman was a completely different player while Wells was out with his injury. He was aggressive taking it to the hole, posting up etc. I think you'll see that guy next season

PF: Robert Carter Jr. (Transfer from GT who had to sit out this season. There are some reports saying he's the best player on the team. Period. Former 5* who can play inside and out.

My projected bench:

PG: Jaylen Brantley (The 1# Juco PG. Has 3 years of eligibility. The plan is for Trimble to play alot of 2 guard next season alongside Brantley)

SG: Jared Nickens  (3pt sniper who has to work on his defense.)

C: Damonte Dodd (Very athletic but was extremely raw coming out of HS/Prep School. He needs to become a better rebounder. There's no reason he shouldn't be a good one with his body/athleticism.

SF: We actually don't really have one. Yet. We have a few targets that we're still after. I suspect Nickens will see some time there as well.

PF: See above.

Now for the potential program changer:

The Terps are in the running for the #1 center in the country, Diamond Stone.

It seems to be a Wisconsin-Maryland battle.

Stone is a Wisconsin native and was considered to be a Badger lean for awhile but the recent rumors have him leaning towards Maryland.

Supposedly is Stone is excited about the possibility of playing with Trimble and Carter.

And he should be.  :P

this is bull****.

OK.. 3 out of 5.  ;) Is that still bull****?

Who cares about the physicality and reffing. Sure calls were missed but the bottom line is maryland couldn't beat the press. They knew it was coming, yet it crippled them the entire game. I was pretty shocked that a team that played so well in the regular season had absolutely no answer for the press. It was like they've never played against that defense in their entire careers.

Wvu outmatched them clearly.

I wasn't that shocked.

There haven't been many teams who have figured out WVU's press.

They lead the nation in steals and turnovers for a reason.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 2

OK.. 3 out of 5.  ;) Is that still bull****?

i'd say you could definitely make the argument.  my counter might be something about a basketball team being comprised of more than 5, and that the difference between the two teams had more to do with depth than a fantasy draft.

i'd say you could definitely make the argument.  my counter might be something about a basketball team being comprised of more than 5, and that the difference between the two teams had more to do with depth than a fantasy draft.

Interesting enough, both teams play about 10 players so depth had nothing to do with it.

I'll be the first to admit that WVU is the more physical team. No argument there.

I just don't believe they have more talent overall than Maryland.

Of course that doesn't matter. They won so it it what it is.

Personally, I don't like Huggins style of ball. And I'm not talking about pressing.

I'm talking about the constant fouling etc.

And it's not a WVU thing either.

He was like this at Cincy as well.

Personally, I don't like Huggins style of ball. And I'm not talking about pressing.

I'm talking about the constant fouling etc.

And it's not a WVU thing either.

He was like this at Cincy as well.

But he hasn't had that team at WVU until this year (so 7 years of non physical teams). So I'm not sure what type of ball he really has (other than HOF type).

Personally, I suspect his style is based on who is on the roster and if they have shooters or not. 

Either way - I thought both teams had their chances. MD did a good job of not allowing Staten to penetrate and score at will. Perhaps its rust for him, but he will need to be back in form Thursday night. 

That said..how did MD only end up with one decent ball handler? I'm surprised no one in the B1G saw that as the way to beat them (pressure, I mean). 

Edited by The Evil Genius

But he hasn't had that team at WVU until this year (so 7 years of non physical teams). So I'm not sure what type of ball he really has (other than HOF type).

Personally, I suspect his style is based on who is on the roster and if they have shooters or not. 

My guess is he let his predecessors players continue to play the style they were comfortable playing. Then he had a transition period. Last year and this year were his seasons to fully implement Huggins' style. They started this last year. This year it is in full affect. And they are set up now to perpetually recruit players that can plug in.

VCU and WVU (now the Huggins has his roater in order) employ the same tactic: foul so much that the officials can't call it all. By the 2nd half, the officials have to adjust to the way they are calling the game vs WV adjusting to the way they are calling the game. There is no way WV should have finished the game with only 20 team fouls. Maryland had 19 team fouls. How does a team that is mocked for being soft only 1 foul behind the team that had 12 team fouls in the first half. WV only committed 8 fouls in the 2nd half? REALLY? Or did the officials swallow their whistles because they wanted to avoid the game going to midnight?

• Like 1

There were a lot of fouls on both teams that should have been called. MD constantly pushed off on in bound plays and several times the calls went against WVU on a MD pushoff. There were numerous hacks by WVU (including several on Melo) that should have gone MD's way. Of course, if they called over the backs on MD's bigs - WVU might still be shooting FT's. 

Hate to say it - but this is the way CBB has gone. Bad officiating has gotten worse. 

edit..oh and that kind of makes sense, Pope (on the Huggins comments). But it's not like he hasn't been recruiting his guys for 6+ years now and they weren't all Freshmen that Beilein left. Again - Huggins has usually had athletic long armed kids and they weren't all bangers like this squad.

Of course, having a full court press with constant trapping is also going to lead to some inflated team foul totals on the season.

I think his WVU teams have always been kind of rough. They just haven't been good enough lately for it to matter.

Truthfully, this team isn't that much different talent-wise than last years. Other than the fact that they press for 40mins.

Which basically lends credence to my believe about WVU not being overly talented.

They've just found a system which fits their personnel. And kudos to Huggins for adapting.

My guess is he let his predecessors players continue to play the style they were comfortable playing. Then he had a transition period. Last year and this year were his seasons to fully implement Huggins' style. They started this last year. This year it is in full affect. And they are set up now to perpetually recruit players that can plug in.

VCU and WVU (now the Huggins has his roater in order) employ the same tactic: foul so much that the officials can't call it all. By the 2nd half, the officials have to adjust to the way they are calling the game vs WV adjusting to the way they are calling the game. There is no way WV should have finished the game with only 20 team fouls. Maryland had 19 team fouls. How does a team that is mocked for being soft only 1 foul behind the team that had 12 team fouls in the first half. WV only committed 8 fouls in the 2nd half? REALLY? Or did the officials swallow their whistles because they wanted to avoid the game going to midnight?

so it takes 7 years for a transition between coaching staffs?  that's laughable at best, especially when you consider the class make up of the group he inherited.

maryland was in the double bonus in both halves. 

edit:  looking at the fouls, i swear umd was in double bonus both halves...i'm confused.

you sound ridiculous.  it's actually fun to watch all this crying.  i'm glad i stopped by.

I think his WVU teams have always been kind of rough. They just haven't been good enough lately for it to matter.

Truthfully, this team isn't that much different talent-wise than last years. Other than the fact that they press for 40mins.

Which basically lends credence to my believe about WVU not being overly talented.

They've just found a system which fits their personnel. And kudos to Huggins for adapting.

this team is significantly more talented than last years roster.  you really don't know what you're talking about.

Edited by Major Harris

Now now Major. 

:P

This team is a lot better than last years..Devin Williams progression was evident last night. Plus Gary Brown and Juwan Staten (when healthy) became much better guards. Not to mention that Javon Carter and Daxter Miles Jr saw significant time as Freshmen for this team. Miles even got into the heads of a lot of the UMD players, last night. Not bad for a Freshman. 

I was impressed with some of the kids that MD has last night. I'd love to see WVU be able to recruit a PG of Melo's caliber. If one exists. Not sure how good this kid, James Bolden, from Kentucky that signed a LOI is. 

BTW - what the Huggins ladies posted are a ****ing disgrace to WVU. I hope they get reigned in, immediately. 

Now now Major. 

:P

This team is a lot better than last years..Devin Williams progression was evident last night. Plus Gary Brown and Juwan Staten (when healthy) became much better guards. Not to mention that Javon Carter and Daxter Miles Jr saw significant time as Freshmen for this team. Miles even got into the heads of a lot of the UMD players, last night. Not bad for a Freshman. 

I was impressed with some of the kids that MD has last night. I'd love to see WVU be able to recruit a PG of Melo's caliber. If one exists. Not sure how good this kid, James Bolden, from Kentucky that signed a LOI is. 

BTW - what the Huggins ladies posted are a ****ing disgrace to WVU. I hope they get reigned in, immediately. 

Fair enough.