Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm not calling them overachievers nor underachievers.  I've been pretty even-keeled all year.  Let's see how they finish out the regular season.  The Big Ten tournament will be very telling.

They allowed inferior opponents to hang in the game almost every game this season.  They have 3-4 players who can take over a game.  Rarely has more than 1 of them shown up for the same game.

But in this thread some pretended it wasn't so.

But I agree, the big 10 tourney will be telling, but the last 2 games were some of the worst played and coached games I have seen from a MD with talent in most of my life.

• Like 2

No idea what is happening. They just look bad all the sudden. Layman came back kind of soft. Melo the past month plus has been meh. He might want to go through those NBA draft camps without an agent. Last mock I saw had his around 20. If he keeps playing like this, that's down further. 

Melo was clearly not in charge last night.  Last year he would have taken that late steal to the basket.  This year he shoots late airballs and dishes when he has a clear lane because he has no confidence in anything he does. He needs to watch some old game footage. Still plenty of time.

As bad as they looked, if Stone plays, it's still a W.

Another failure to make it to the second weekend is well within the cards with this group.

They shouldn't need Stone to beat Minny.  If the team has become too reliant on him inside, then he better not have a bad game in the tourney.

I still would bet heavily on making the Elite 8. 

No idea what is happening. They just look bad all the sudden.

They've looked not-so-great nearly all season long.  To which many of us were told to calm down, the close wins are building character, etc.  While I've been skeptical, I never imagined losing to the freaking Golden Gophers who haven't won a game in 2 months, with or without Diamond Stone.  This is the absolute, hands-down, worst loss in college basketball this season.

Melo must be injured, in conjunction with an all time low level of confidence.  Nothing is dropping for him of late.  The offense looks lackadaisical and boring without him taking over and now its showing up on the scoreboard and the loss column.

As bad as they looked, if Stone plays, it's still a W.

Another failure to make it to the second weekend is well within the cards with this group.

Maybe this is what they needed to wake up and start playing basketball. Hopefully they don't just say "yeah, we sucked and lost to a team that had not won in 2016, but if we had that one guy..." This team may have to hit rock bottom to snap out of it and start playing like they should be playing. It would be nice to think this was the wake up call, but I remember thinking the same thing in 2001 when they blew that lead against dook. Then they lost to Florida St the next game before turning it around. Regardless if they can go lower or not, they have to play better.

Maybe this is what they needed to wake up and start playing basketball. Hopefully they don't just say "yeah, we sucked and lost to a team that had not won in 2016, but if we had that one guy..." This team may have to hit rock bottom to snap out of it and start playing like they should be playing. It would be nice to think this was the wake up call, but I remember thinking the same thing in 2001 when they blew that lead against dook. Then they lost to Florida St the next game before turning it around. Regardless if they can go lower or not, they have to play better.

With a team this young, I doubt they'll see it as a wake up call. If they were a team of juniors and seniors rather than freshman and sophomores, I might be more optimistic.

Edited by justice98

Great start today. Maybe the identity of this team going forward can be that of a tenacious defensive team, that creates offense off their defense. They need to work the ball low to take advantage of their size on the offensive end.

I have said all year, the problem with this team is the coach not having them work the ball inside.  The running sideline to sideline, tossing the ball back and forth to each other then chucking 3's is not the right offense for this team.  I don't know why Turgeon would play that game.  Especially with the team going in long droughts of not making 3's.

It's more about running sets, and having some fluid movement on offense. Their entire arsenal seems to be letting Melo dribble around up top while the bigs fight for inside position. No back cuts, no quick ball movement, just one on one ball.

Couple that with Melo's abysmal assist to turnover ratio, equals BAD offense.

• Like 1

Melo going for a triple double today: points, rebounds, turnovers.

Jay Bilas calls that a cripple double. He came up short with only 8 boards and 7 turnovers.

Good job by MD to fight for this win. After the last two games, I'm not taking any win for granted.

I hope they learn from this game and see what happens when they get the ball inside. 53 of the 86 points from Carter, Stone, Layman, and Dodd. It's hard for teams to handle all their size and skill on offense. But they have to run the offense through the bigs instead of standing around shooting 3's. Of course, the defense still needs some work. They looked good for a stretch in the first half, but went back to playing poorly in the second half giving up easy baskets and open 3's. I'm glad they won as they needed to win. But they still need to be consistent and stop going through these lulls where they stand around on offense and defense.