Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

LOL! I never claimed to see into the future BFS,This team could get bumped early in the tourney or they could cut the nets down That's the nature of the beast this year.

Meanwhile I'm having fun watching this team WIN. I suggest you start watching Men's figure skating since you're so into style points.

Edited by KingGibbs

What part of WINNING these close games, in conference preps them for the tourney pjf? This team simply doesn't get phased by these close games.

20-3 ****es!

Sure. I can agree that winning close conference games is a good test for the tournament.  I won't refute that.  But...

LOL! I never claimed to see into the future BFS,This team could get bumped early in the tourney or they could cut the nets down That's the nature of the beast this year.

Meanwhile I'm having fun watching this team WIN. I suggest you start watching Men's figure skating since you're so into style points.

...style points do count.  Do you realize that we've only had "one" significant win (Iowa) on our "tournament resume" (Yes, you have to impress the committee) and that in order to get a better seed in a better region, we're going to have to win some games with "style" or we'll be relagated to a 5 seed out west or end up in the "bracket of death" in order to advance. The way you win games IS looked at by the committee along with who you beat where.

I'm glad they are winning.  Doesn't mean I'm not having fun because they are playing white knuckle games.

And please don't "suggest" other fans watch this or watch that.  It comes off is very self rightous and obnoxious. We all root for the same team.  We root for them in different ways.

Edited by pjfootballer

Sure. I can agree that winning close conference games is a good test for the tournament.  I won't refute that.  But... 

...style points do count.  Do you realize that we've only had "one" significant win (Iowa) on our "tournament resume" (Yes, you have to impress the committee) a

Kinda reminds me of the arguments people were making about Clemson all year. They kept saying they shouldn't be Number 1 in the country because they weren't blowing anyone out. They just kept winning. I haven't watched Maryland enough this year to know if they are good and gritty or just getting by, but there's nothing wrong with winning.

Kinda reminds me of the arguments people were making about Clemson all year. They kept saying they shouldn't be Number 1 in the country because they weren't blowing anyone out. They just kept winning. I haven't watched Maryland enough this year to know if they are good and gritty or just getting by, but there's nothing wrong with winning.

I knew someone would bring up Football. Before the current playoff system, style points did count. Clemson was undefeated, so the small minority would bring that up to discount what they did. Four vs 64 (68) is a little different. And Clemson was blowing out the little teams.

Edited by pjfootballer

If style points didn't count, MD wouldn't have ended up with that crappy draw they got last year.  In fact, I recall the knock on the Terps last year was that they were "lucky" because they won so many close games.

I don't agree with the luck part, as I do think winning close games builds character and confidence.

With that said, this isn't about blowing teams out all the time or even playing close games in conference.  Its that the team struggles to get going nearly every game and has to come from behind often against teams with much less talent.  I get that our ranking assures that we get every teams best effort, and expected the lulls early on in the season, by now though I expected Turg to have this team rolling.

I feel like the majority of focus from fans is on the Terps offense and can lead to some being frustrated. How about focusing on defense and how amazing it's been lately?

Exactly! They were beasts last night. As I pointed out earlier they held the best in conference shooting team in check. I thought they were quite stylish on the defensive side. :)

In last 10 games #1 Oklahoma has won 6 of 8 by 10 points or less and lost 2. They have 2 blowout wins against horrible teams. Close games are the norm. The NCAA tournament is going to be a nailbiter.

This tournament is going to be awesome. I don't see dominant teams like in years past. Oklahoma is great. Kansas and UNC are as well, they've also been beat a few times. Other than that, you could probably take 10-12 teams and pick them from a hat to see who is next best.

Click to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/No-Haskins-No-Worry-Terps-See-Piggy-Becoming-Household-Name-43478359

No Haskins, No Worry: Terps See "Piggy" Becoming Household Name

If you haven’t seen highlight video of three-star Alabama quarterback Tyrrell Pigrome (Clay-Chalkville/Pinson, Ala.), Maryland coach D.J. Durkin summarized it in four words Wednesday at his National Signing Day press conference.

"That guy is electric," Durkin said.

Durkin mentioned the majority of the players in his 22-man recruiting class when he spoke at Glazier Auditorium in the Gossett Team House, but his face lit up when talking about one of the last players to sign in Pigrome, who announced his decision that morning.

“He’s unbelievable,” Durkin said.

If you haven't his film yet, scroll down now and check out 13 minutes of Pigrome alternating between deep bombs and explosive runs to leave defenders shaking their heads in disbelief.

“Tyrrell has the chance to be one of the most dynamic players in the class because of his incredible athleticism,” offensive coordinator Walt Bell said. “He’s very comparable to some of the spread quarterbacks that I have had in the past.”

Bell got his guy at quarterback, even if from an outsider's’ perspective, it might look like Pigrome might be a consolation prize.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'm not one to believe we get bounced in the first round. I think we have a good enough team to get to at least the elite eight. 20-3 says we are a good team. We are. I always like the wins. Keep winning. I just don't know how many times I have to post this:

I expect tight games versus Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Iowa

I expect semi tight to 10+ point wins versus Purdue, Northwestern, Ohio State, Wisconsin

I expect 10-20 point wins versus Rutgers, Nebraska, Penn St., Minnesota,

Illinois.

I know you can't blow every opponent out. I DON'T expect that. I expect a team that has been ranked in the top 10 all year to exert their will on lesser opponents and not playing down to them.

I'm not sure how some of you continue to not understand that.

This is Mass Skins Fan reborn.  I remember one jag he went on years ago, angry about how the Skins won a game.  Keep in mind, the Skins won the game, which has been pretty rare in itself.  He was mad because we hadn't spent the 4th quarter running the ball every play, pounding the other team, and breaking their will/spirit on the field.  I don't think he's ever let go of the ghost of John Riggins past.

• Like 1

This is Mass Skins Fan reborn. I remember one jag he went on years ago, angry about how the Skins won a game. Keep in mind, the Skins won the game, which has been pretty rare in itself. He was mad because we hadn't spent the 4th quarter running the ball every play, pounding the other team, and breaking their will/spirit on the field. I don't think he's ever let go of the ghost of John Riggins past.

Nobody is angry. Concerned. Not angry.

And I really don't need opinions from the Penn State peanut gallery, thank you. :)

Edited by pjfootballer

This tournament is going to be awesome. I don't see dominant teams like in years past. Oklahoma is great. Kansas and UNC are as well, they've also been beat a few times. Other than that, you could probably take 10-12 teams and pick them from a hat to see who is next best.

Kansas is not great by any stretch of the imagination.

Nobody is angry. Concerned. Not angry.

And I really don't need opinions from the Penn State peanut gallery, thank you. :)

I can't say much about Penn State right now, after signing day.  We wound up with the #19 class, three Top 50 recruits, by all means we should be ecstatic, but there was a weird exodus the past two weeks, we lost a few key guys (to Michigan and others) and had to scramble to plug in their spots with a mixture of Juco guys and stealing from the likes of Temple.

It was nothing on the level of Haskins with you guys, but it put a bit of a damper on what is otherwise usually a fun day.

I can't say much about Penn State right now, after signing day. We wound up with the #19 class, three Top 50 recruits, by all means we should be ecstatic, but there was a weird exodus the past two weeks, we lost a few key guys (to Michigan and others) and had to scramble to plug in their spots with a mixture of Juco guys and stealing from the likes of Temple.

It was nothing on the level of Haskins with you guys, but it put a bit of a damper on what is otherwise usually a fun day.

Considering a coaching change and players bailing because of that, I think we did the best we could. It's going to take DJ a couple of good recruiting classes and having some winning seasons to get a great recruiting class in here. Finishing the new athletic facility will help also.