Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

It seems to me that MD is getting exactly who they should get. Mostly 3 star guys with a handful of 4 star guys. Maybe they can occasionally get the 5 star guy. But the classes won't be filled with 4 and 5 star guys. It's really up to the coaches and how they utilize these guys to know if this is a great class.

With Edsall, we were all hoping recruiting the talent would outweigh his coaching. That didn't happen. Now it's back to recruiting the solid guys you should get and having the coaches get the most out of them.

It seems to me that MD is getting exactly who they should get. Mostly 3 star guys with a handful of 4 star guys. Maybe they can occasionally get the 5 star guy. But the classes won't be filled with 4 and 5 star guys. It's really up to the coaches and how they utilize these guys to know if this is a great class.

Maryland has made remarkable inroads into the local base in the last few years without a winning program and without a top shelf practice facility.  They will have the latter and we hope the former.  Do not underestimate the future of this program with the recruiting team in place.  Half of this recruiting class was assembled in the last month.

• Like 1

Durkin on keeping recruits in Maryland: "We're going to build this program on guys from the DMV."

Durkin said Elijah and Elisha Daniels sang "My Girl" by The Temptations in front of the team during their official visit.

Durkin said the #Terps sort of view Florida as a second home when it comes to recruiting. MD's 2016 class has 10 from the DMV & 7 from Fla.

Durkin on QB Tyrrell Pigrome from state of Alabama " he will be a household name here very soon " #terpstalk

Durkin had 4 DeMatha Stags sign, " Elijah Brooks, it's doesn't get any better than that" #terpstalk

Durkin on DeMatha: "I can tell you one thing, we're going to head back there next year."

Walt Bell on Pigrome: "Has the chance to be one of the most dynamic players in his class." Compares him to spread QBs he's had in the past.

Durkin referred to Michigan as "the university I was at before" & "the place I was at before."

Durkin: "What a thrill to get all those DeMatha guys as part of this class." "We're going to try to stake claim there as much as we can."

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Click to read the rest http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Maryland-Football-Coach-DJ-Durkin-Talks-Recruiting-Class-43451985

Durkin Excited About His First Maryland Recruiting Class

There no time for D.J. Durkin to cancel official visit weekend due to bad weather. Snowstorm Jonas was scheduled to hit the East Coast on arguably Maryland’s most important recruiting weekend leading up to National Signing Day the weekend of Jan. 22, but a handful of recruits were also planning on making the trip to College Park for the first time.

Other schools in similar situations decided to reschedule. But if Maryland were to push back the visits, the following weekend was the only remaining option and many of the players already had other trips planned. That would be a risky move. So Durkin moved forward with the original plan, plowed a path between the team hotel and the Gossett Team House and eventually was rewarded with the commitments of three-star defensive backs Elijah and Elisha Daniels (Cardinal Gibbons/Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) and two-star tight end Noah Barnes (Auburn HS/Auburn, Ala.).

“A lot of people canceled their visits, we didn’t, we stayed tough. We’re a blue collar program in case anyone was wondering, so we were here,” Durkin said. “It was a unique experience for everyone involved. We got to know each other better than ever before on a recruiting weekend,”

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Maryland has made remarkable inroads into the local base in the last few years without a winning program and without a top shelf practice facility.  They will have the latter and we hope the former.  Do not underestimate the future of this program with the recruiting team in place.  Half of this recruiting class was assembled in the last month.

Oh, I agree that it can get better. In fact, I expect it to get better, because the other programs in the conference will get better. I'm just happy with who they got and I believe the coaches will be the difference.