Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Hatcher has knee injury

Davidmore27

According to the articles I read today, Dr. Andrews will clean it out this Thursday. He will likely miss a good deal of training camp, but he should be ready for pre-season games. If you ask me, sit him out until the first game of the season.

So the question is.  Any chance he starts out on the PUP List when TC stops?

Not like he tore something. Just getting his knee cleaned out. I'd expect him to still get in some camp reps.

I don't like the idea of a dude getting no contact/game speed reps and being thrown into preseason games.

This does however bring forth the question of depth and Stephen Bowen's injury. It was a possibility that he'd be cut and we would save a nice chunk of money, but with Hatcher's knee needing to be cleaned out, they might think Bowen could be woth the money as insurance.

Regardless, with only one quality developing lineman we have (Baker) being under 30 years old, next season's draft would have (I hope) some juicy DT prospects.

A shame that Stephon Tuitt was taken 1 pick before us, he's like a prototypical 3-4 DE.

Not gonna cry now over who we didn't draft, although this shines a bit of a spotlight on the fact that this was perhaps more of a need in the Draft than a luxury OLB/insurance pick.

...moving right along....I wonder if this means we take a slightly harder look at Carriker when we check him out. At least bring him into camp on a trial contract & kick the tires while Hatcher sits? Just a thought. ..

I am not worried about this at all but in the back of my mind i cannot keep from thinking about Linval Joseph going to the vikings early in FA for similar money (although aparently he will now be out until training camp with a shoulder injury)

We seem to get bad Ju-ju with ex Dallas cowboys linemen - Brandon Nobel

And good rewards from ex Giants - Griffin, Cofield ...

Just saying ...

According to the articles I read today, Dr. Andrews will clean it out this Thursday. He will likely miss a good deal of training camp, but he should be ready for pre-season games. If you ask me, sit him out until the first game of the season.

All in for week 1.  lol

I'm not one of those people that think the Redskins should sign every player cut but I wonder with the surgery to Hatchers knee if they might consider bringing in Jason Babin for a look-see. He is 34, undersized a bit for a 3--4 DE but he can still rush the passer . If he would sign cheap I wouldn't mind bringing him in to compete with Worthington and Golston and be rotated in during passing situations. I just pray that Hatcher's knee problems are not serious like he and the team are saying but as a Redskins fan I am so used to disapointment it is hard not to think the worst.   

I'm not one of those people that think the Redskins should sign every player cut but I wonder with the surgery to Hatchers knee if they might consider bringing in Jason Babin for a look-see. He is 34, undersized a bit for a 3--4 DE but he can still rush the passer . If he would sign cheap I wouldn't mind bringing him in to compete with Worthington and Golston and be rotated in during passing situations.

There is no way he would compete with Worthington and Golston or anyone else on the DL.  Babin is smaller than our DL by around 30-40 pounds.  I'm not one of those people who thinks weight is everything, but I've never seen a 267 pound DL in a 3-4.  I've never even seen a 285 pound DL in a 3-4.    Just for comparison, Kedrick Golston is 318 pounds and Doug Worthington is 311, both about 50 pounds heavier than Babin.  People had problems with Lichtensteiger at OL because he was 15-20 pounds under weight, Babin would be 40 pounds under weight.

If Babin came in, he'd compete with our OLBs, and since we're pretty stacked there, I don't think he's worth it.  We have Orakpo, Kerrigan, and Murphy as locks for the roster.  The sole spot left is between Brandon Jenkins and Rob Jackson, and whoever is playing behind the top two needs to help on special teams.  Not sure if Babin plays ST.  Still, I don't think he's worth it at this point.  We don't need old "past-their-prime" players.  That was the old Redskins way of handling issues.  Hopefully the franchise is past that, and on to the "build our own players" way of thinking.

This does however bring forth the question of depth and Stephen Bowen's injury. It was a possibility that he'd be cut and we would save a nice chunk of money, but with Hatcher's knee needing to be cleaned out, they might think Bowen could be woth the money as insurance..

Good point. Bowen just got more valuable. Best of mending to both...

Good point. Bowen just got more valuable. Best of mending to both...

How is Bowen valuable? He hasn't practiced all off season because he remains injured. Not only is he still injured, but his muscles are turning to FAT. He looks puffy and unless he can lift weights and run, he will not have the strength or stamina to compete. Bowen, EVEN IF HE GETS HEALTHY,  must probably allow 2 months of working out to get back to where he needs to be in order to be effective.

This is why I think he will end up on the PUP list and miss the first 6 weeks of the season  Nobody can take 7-8 months off and then suddenly just go to camp and get into shape. I think Hatcher has a better chance of starting the season than Bowen. Bowen if healthy will get his first playing time at about the halfway point of the season after he has completely healed. At least that's what I believe based on the facts so far.

off crutches but not healed. And probably not a wise move just to show us that he is a real man. Best thing would be to have a knee brace on but I didn't see one in that photo. Hopefully Dr. Andrews will see that photo and talk to him because I am pretty sure he gave him a knee brace for support or told him to take it easy for a week or so. Surgeries just do not heal suddenly in 72 hours.

off crutches but not healed. And probably not a wise move just to show us that he is a real man. Best thing would be to have a knee brace on but I didn't see one in that photo. Hopefully Dr. Andrews will see that photo and talk to him because I am pretty sure he gave him a knee brace for support or told him to take it easy for a week or so. Surgeries just do not heal suddenly in 72 hours.

Bracing is the way they used to do it, but now even ACL surgeries don't have braces on.  Instead the patient's knee is bandaged, and either they have an ace bandage around the knee, or an even less supportive sleeve is used (it slides up the leg, but doesn't provide even as much support as an ace bandage).  It would be very unusual to see a patient come out of arthroscopic surgery with a brace one (actually it would look like the doctor had no idea what he would be doing) since you want to give the knee space to move, even a little.

Patients coming out of arthroscopic surgery can start physical therapy within a couple days, but you're right about the crutches.  He should probably be using crutches to walk around for a week or so after the surgery (though if it was just to clean out cartilage, the doctor probably told him, "as soon as you feel ready to walk around, and the inflammation is gone, you can walk on it."  With that surgery, there's really not much that needs to heal, except the incision.

Archived